What is the best guard dog?

ImTheDoubleGreatest!

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
One that's tough, scary, strong, etc. Also, would a wolf make a good guard dog as a pet (assuming you are able to get one)?

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wolves and wolf hybrids have a reputation for eating their owner. A wild animal will always be wild.

I like German Shepherds, but a lot depends on the individual dog, and especially the way the dog is trained as a puppy. Most people eliminate the dog's aggressive tendencies by punishing them. A good trainer will bring out aggression under the right circumstances, and then reward it. Malinois are the trendy cop dog right now; they are just working line shepherds bred to be small, very aggressive, and have short hair. If you get a working line dog, you have to work it, or you will both be miserable. That's not a dog to lock up in an apartment.

ImTheDoubleGreatest!

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wow a lot of you guys say German shepherds. Why is that? What about a pit bull or Rottweiler?

logicallefty

Reaction score
German Shepherds are hard to beat for a guard dog. They are tough, strong, and smart.

logicallefty

Reaction score

wifehunter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

playa99

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have 2 Labradors, they are smart, big & well behaved. They are not however, guard dogs! They have a big bark, but absolutely no bite. That being said I think they would be a deterrent from a mugger.

If I were to recommend a guard dog, I would say a German Shepherd as they are relatively intimidating & the easiest of the 'scary' dogs to train. That's why police use them.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Pit bulls make horrible guard dogs. They are too friendly. Rotts are much better at that job. Rotts were the butcher's dog - drive the cattle by day and guard them at night. Dobermans are decent as well. Neither breed tends to be as smart as a GSD.

A shelter mutt can make a great dog, too. I'd get a puppy if you want it to be well-trained. I have a purebred GSD who I adopted from a county pound. She's working line and was too high-strung to make it as a family pet, in a family of morons, anyway. They dumped their $800 dog at the pound, and I adopted her for $150.

switch7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you want a dog purely to guard a property, I wouldn't bother. It's cheaper in the long run to buy a top of the range security system, cctv etc.

Big dogs require a lot of food and a lot of exercise. Need walking twice a day for an hour each time. Then you have vet bills etc. It's a huge commitment.

What is it you require guarding?

ImTheDoubleGreatest!

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Pit bulls make horrible guard dogs. They are too friendly. Rotts are much better at that job. Rotts were the butcher's dog - drive the cattle by day and guard them at night. Dobermans are decent as well. Neither breed tends to be as smart as a GSD.
I don't know about that. My dad has a regular customer who lives near one of his stations and he told me that the guy trained his dog to be racist (I know right?). Well some black guy came to fill up gas and was standing outside and the dog saw him. He jumped a 7 ft. fence and started mauling the guy. His girlfriend freaked out and locked his car on him and my dad stepped outside the door with a baseball bat, saw what was happening and went back inside. Said he almost **** himself because of how vicious he looked. That's why I asked about pit bulls lol
If you want a dog purely to guard a property, I wouldn't bother. It's cheaper in the long run to buy a top of the range security system, cctv etc.

Big dogs require a lot of food and a lot of exercise. Need walking twice a day for an hour each time. Then you have vet bills etc. It's a huge commitment.

What is it you require guarding?
Well nothing really. We have cameras and a German shepherd too funnily enough. He's likely got some arctic wolf in him to be honest though because he has some rather strange tendencies sometimes and looks a little different from other German shepherds. He's getting older now though. We didn't quite do a good job raising him to be honest because he has way too much energy and we couldn't really take care of him.

Von

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't know about that. My dad has a regular customer who lives near one of his stations and he told me that the guy trained his dog to be racist (I know right?). Well some black guy came to fill up gas and was standing outside and the dog saw him. He jumped a 7 ft. fence and started mauling the guy. His girlfriend freaked out and locked his car on him and my dad stepped outside the door with a baseball bat, saw what was happening and went back inside. Said he almost **** himself because of how vicious he looked. That's why I asked about pit bulls lol

Well nothing really. We have cameras and a German shepherd too funnily enough. He's likely got some arctic wolf in him to be honest though because he has some rather strange tendencies sometimes and looks a little different from other German shepherds. He's getting older now though. We didn't quite do a good job raising him to be honest because he has way too much energy and we couldn't really take care of him.
Half of the the planet want to ban pitbuls so avoid them (for cash reason avoid them)

Dogs are cash consuming and require maintenance like you had à kid

No matter the race, the training does the job.

Personnally, small Dogs. Are the worst (all noise)

SeymourCake

Banned
Reaction score
Rottweilers

BeExcellent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd be careful about pit bulls. As a property owner I do not allow my renters to have them as my insurance company will cancel policies if they find one on my properties. It's happened with a puppy so I know this for a fact. They got rid of the dog and I was able to reinstate my property coverage.

Now you may not have insurance type worries as yet but there is a reason most insurance companies keep a "dangerous dog" list, and that has to do with actuarial evidence that certain breeds are more prone to generate insurance claims than others.

St. Bernards are not on dangerous dog lists but they are excellent guard dogs with good dispositions.

I'd avoid wolves or wolf hybrids.

Any large dog is going to cost a ton of money & require lots of time, exercise & attention.

I'd look at Rhodesian ridgebacks, weimereiners, or dobermans (even the mini dobermans) if I was looking...although dobermans also tend to make the insurance lists.

German Shepard often suffer from hip problems which can get very expensive. That's why I am not a fan of the GSD.