What is the best fighting style? Lets settle this once and for all

Nex

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Just a little note, some people are just natural born fighters, I've have a friend who although has never practice any martial arts, has brought down highly advanced bj-j and kickboxers without much difficulty..

grr

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree with what Da Realist said.

Yes, natural born fighters exist but its pretty basic, I'm not even that strong but I've never lost a fight outside of anyone in my family. A cruel older brother who is much older than you will do that to you.

And Wing Chun doesn't dominate (I assume that was sarcasm) but it can be a good stepping stone to get in shape and learn some fighting basics until a better style like boxing or bjj comes along. Wing Chun is also good for older people to stay above the average joe.

sjchris

Don Juan
Reaction score
What is the best fighting style? Depends on the situation, but lets say your main goal is practical self defense, then I'd have to say Muai Thai kickboxing is the handdown winner.

Boxing is important, good boxers are tough to beat in a fight, but in Muai Thai you learn to use many different body parts in your arsenal; hands, legs, elbows, knees, etc. So I think Muai Thai > Boxing.

Wrestling is extremely useful, as is Brazilian Ju-Jitsu. Like in MMA, you can be a great striker, but if u are not experienced in BJJ as well you are NOT going to be very successful. But in a practical street fight, I can tell you a good striker will beat a good wrestler any day. Why? It is a lot quicker to take someone out with good hands and legs than good takedowns and good submissions. Like if someone in the street were to shoot into me, I would kick them in the face or sprawl and it wouldnt be that hard because most likely we'd be in a large, open environment. Don't get me wrong though, if a very experienced BJJ guy gets you to the ground you are done, but still, strikes > wrestling.

My thoughts.

grr

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
1. What do you mean by sprawl? Sprawling has a connotation of being at a disadvantage.

2. You won't likely hit him in the face with your kick, but he knows he will likely take you down if he keeps moving forward.

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Chuck Liddell beating Vitor Belfort gives a good idea of how muay thai is superior to just boxing.

However Vitor did beat Wandrei.... so I don't know

I think whoever wins Wandrei vs Liddell will tell a lot.

darp

Don Juan
Reaction score
styles make fights. Liddell doesn't have a style...he's a brawler with good reflexes. He'll tell you that himself. He's always looking for the 1 punch kO and he usually gets it. He doesn't throw punches like a boxer and he doesn't move like a boxer...he's a str8 up fighter. Wandy will have his chance at Liddell later this year because UFC and Pride signed a contract..should be interesting

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Liddell does have a good foundsation in Muay Thai. He moves around the ring like a boxer, but maybe doesn't throw combinations like one. He is much more than a brawler believe me.

The only brawler in UFC is Tank Abboot, and we know how horrible he is.

Slevin

Don Juan
Reaction score
Liddell does have a good foundsation in Muay Thai.
Actually he's a kempo guy.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2006/07/18/national/a154346D60.DTL&type=bondage

Customer Subdues Robber With Applesauce

A customer at a city grocery tackled an armed robber and beat him with a can of applesauce when he refused to drop his gun, police said.

The suspect shot himself in the head during the struggle, and passed out after the 66-year-old customer administered four blows to the head with the Mott's applesauce.

"Finally, the guy passes out," said Det. Curtis Matthews. "There's blood everywhere — on the floor, all over."

About 15 customers were in Gomez Grocery in the city's East Germantown section when the gunman walked in Sunday afternoon, jumped atop a small freezer and pointed the gun at store owner Eddie Gomez, police said.

Customer Thomas Santana, who is 5-foot-4, grabbed the 6-foot-1 gunman from behind when he was on the freezer, and with help from Gomez knocked him down.

The suspect, 23-year-old Thomas Reyes, was in stable condition at a hospital, and was expected to be charged with attempted murder, attempted robbery and other charges, authorities said.

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's not the style that's so important as the fighter himself. How far are you willing to go? What's your mindset like in a fight?

In terms of just practicing, the obvious answer is muay thai and grappling.

We have legs and arms. You can either hit people with them or lock them up with them. It's as simple as that, and muay thai and grappling are the no-bullsh*t ways to effectively accomplish both.

Phyzzle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
All the answers are here:

http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19463

F-ing awesome thread.

A lot of it was taken from the old rec.martial-arts FAQ, but this little guide really lays out everything you could possilby want to read.

You wanna know any more START TRAINING!

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I watched a documentary on the National Geographic channel yesterday about the ultimate fighting style. They compared taekwando, karate, muay thai, jijutsu, boxing, 'drunken boxing' and ninjitsu to eachother based on several criteria such as speed, strength, technique, balance and force of kick/punch. They measured speed, balance and force of kick/punch on crash dummies.

And the conclusion was the NINJITSU was the ultimate fighting style as it was the best all around fighting style. That was because you get to learn everything in ninjitsu, pressure points, lethal punches, balance and even grappling on the ground. And get this, they concluded that ninjitsu had the most lethal punch (i tihnk it was called mak pen or something). It measured 0.8 out of 1 on lethality scale they use in car crashes. One punch at a certain place in the chest and the person would be dead.

stayfly

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Centaurion said:
I watched a documentary on the National Geographic channel yesterday about the ultimate fighting style. They compared taekwando, karate, muay thai, jijutsu, boxing, 'drunken boxing' and ninjitsu to eachother based on several criteria such as speed, strength, technique, balance and force of kick/punch. They measured speed, balance and force of kick/punch on crash dummies.

And the conclusion was the NINJITSU was the ultimate fighting style as it was the best all around fighting style. That was because you get to learn everything in ninjitsu, pressure points, lethal punches, balance and even grappling on the ground. And get this, they concluded that ninjitsu had the most lethal punch (i tihnk it was called mak pen or something). It measured 0.8 out of 1 on lethality scale they use in car crashes. One punch at a certain place in the chest and the person would be dead.
sounds good

stayfly

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2006/07/18/national/a154346D60.DTL&type=bondage

Customer Subdues Robber With Applesauce

A customer at a city grocery tackled an armed robber and beat him with a can of applesauce when he refused to drop his gun, police said.

The suspect shot himself in the head during the struggle, and passed out after the 66-year-old customer administered four blows to the head with the Mott's applesauce.

"Finally, the guy passes out," said Det. Curtis Matthews. "There's blood everywhere — on the floor, all over."

About 15 customers were in Gomez Grocery in the city's East Germantown section when the gunman walked in Sunday afternoon, jumped atop a small freezer and pointed the gun at store owner Eddie Gomez, police said.

Customer Thomas Santana, who is 5-foot-4, grabbed the 6-foot-1 gunman from behind when he was on the freezer, and with help from Gomez knocked him down.

The suspect, 23-year-old Thomas Reyes, was in stable condition at a hospital, and was expected to be charged with attempted murder, attempted robbery and other charges, authorities said.
DAMN!!! that's awesome!

what style of fighting did that old guy know? "Applesauce style"?

on a serious note, I would like to learn/master self defense like the thread starter for personal protection only...

like if someone tried to rob me in the streets or a gang tried to jump me or if i witnessed a couple of guys trying to rape a chick and I wanted to try and stop them type thing

i'm a bit lost as to were to start though... :confused:

Nasman

Banned
Reaction score
Best style is brazilian jiu-jitsu if it is art vs. art. Reason being is a bjj expert is going to mount a street fighter and pound him just like a wrestler would. It is best for a streetfight. In the ufc now wrestlers have the most success because of the time limits, and because of there explosiveness and strength.