What is the best fighting style? Lets settle this once and for all

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
well with Gracie getting demlolished it looks like NishBuk's theory on having a combination of skills makes sense.

Still as far as pride being better than UFC.

Tito Ortiz both primarily UFC fighers have beaten the so called greatest fighter in the world Wandrei Silva. I don't know if there's that much of a different in skill in the tournmaments?

Spike_the_Dragon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
There is no 'one style' above all others. The truth is, the best style is to have no style at all...

"It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon; don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that Heavenly glory!"

:kick:

WhAcKeD!

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys, I know the best fighting style next to Wang Chung Humg Funga Mong Tuna Fish.

Pulling out a gun and shooting you in the face.

Visceral

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
PRMoon said:
My fighting style is all military based taught to my by my father who served two tours in vietnam. He showed me how to take people down, for good if necessary.
I don't claim to know anything about fighting, but I would think that something like this would be the ideal style.

To disable or kill your opponent as quickly as possible is probably the best way to keep yourself alive and - ideally - uninjured.

If real fights aren't usually one-on-one, then you would have to be able to handle multiple opponents, some or all of which may be armed.

If people use weapons in real fights, then you absolutely have to be able to not only defend against them but win against them, especially if you have a lesser weapon or none at all. And since a guy with a gun can kill you from a distance, running probably isn't an option in that case.

Since you're not guaranteed an opponent of similar size, strength, and skill in a real fight, you absolutely have to be able to be able to beat someone who's much bigger, stronger, and faster than you.

I would think that you also can't be bound to a fixed set of moves or to any rules of engagement like you can with sport fighting. If your opponent(s) is/are using a different style, then it's possible that sticking to a potentially incompatible style could put you at a disadvantage. Also, since there are no rules in real fights, having trained with them and thus coming to assume and rely on them could also be a handicap.

Any style that not only covers all these things but considers them "fundamentals" seems like it would be a good choice ... but I would think that whatever is closest to what they teach in the military would be best. True military fighting techniques are probably classified, but I'm curious to know if anything even comes close.

Last edited:

PRMoon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jayer said:
So are you saying that mixed martial arts tournmanets aren't lifelike?
Yes and no. Tournaments of any kinds are more or less sports. They have rules and guidelines, starts and finishes, and brackets that each participant or representing school participates in. They are real time combat but you are aware of every aspect of this situation before hand. Combat and realtime fighting are much more complex because there are no rules, no timeouts, no stoppages, nothing. You fight till either one of you can no longer continue or is dead.

SELF-MASTERY

Banned
Reaction score
Best for the streets or the ring???

Streets the basics ww2 combatives + grappling skills.

A gun

A stick

A knife

A whip

darp

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been doing BJJ for quite some time and I've got to admit that when it comes to fighting Its pretty effective. The main knock on it has been the (no striking thing) and well its pretty much understood that people know how to ball up their fist and swing it. No real art to it, just let your hands go. Boxing attempts to create and art of throwing punch and succeeds but I've been in fights with guys who thought they were boxing me until I got em' on the ground and they didn't know how to defend themselves making it easy to just pound them from a guard position.. This is something you learn from BJJ...its not just about getting a guy on the ground and making him tap...its its testing the guys full range of attacks...get him at a disadvantageous position...make him believe he's in more trouble than he actually is...then you punish him for inexperience.. BJJ's focus is mainly on technique and gain that advantageous position that determines whether you win the fight. If you can win a stand up fight...good, but if you know you don't stand a chance you take it too the ground.
From the ground you take away the space and opportunity needed for a stronger guy to land stronger punches. You take away a bigger guys ability it out muscle you and you gain the upper hand just by having knowledge of how to move on the ground. Of course the bigger guy is still stronger but BJJ is about using momentum...you use your whole body and momemtum again an arm..and you're gonna win over that arm...that how you get into positionto pound your opponent into submission.

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Darp that sounds like a good description. I think I may sign up for BJJ. The thing that discourages me about it is that it seems to have faded out in effectiveness in MMA tournaments.

For example, I see the top guys being good wrestlers or kick boxers and ground and pounders but fewer submissions taking place.

ie:
Randy Coutoure
Tito Ortiz
Chuck Liddell

I want to learn Mixed Martial Arts but I want to focus the most on which aspect is most important. It seems like its either kickboxing or wrestling?

darp

Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, guys with ridiculous KO power and the skill to use it will dominate overlesser trained people. But for instance look at Chuck Liddell, he's a perfect example of 'styles make fights'...He dominates UFC, because no one can get him to the ground and his stand up game is just overpowerful. But compare him to, Pride FC fighters like Rampage Jackson, he completely dismantled Chuck...yet he can't manage to defeat Wanderlei Silva. Why is that?????? Chuck is all about hand strikes...Rampage is faster and stronger so its an easy fight...not to mention Rampage has tremendous ground and pound game. Why doesn't he match up against Wandy......because wandy not only attacks with powerful punches, he mixes muy thai into his arsenal, and as you could see in their second fight, Rampage cannot defend against wandy's knee strikes...STYLES MAKE FIGHTS...

Its good to be multi-balanced, having great ground game makes you superior when the fight gets in close but having the ability to end a fight in a split second saves you the time...I personally believe that Muy Thay, or Kickboxing, would be the best compliment to BJJ. It gives complete all around game and allows for more dexterity, and flexibility as far as options when it comes to fighting.

But in the end, honestly it comes down to technique, I've been in fights where I didn't have to throw a single punch because the other guy didn't know how to avoid what I was doing. Shoot for the tackle, wrap up the legs, take em' down. Before they know it they're on the ground and they're doing one of 2 things
1) trying to figure out how they got on the ground
2) wasting energy trying to get back to their feet so they can be in effective striking range
Either way, I'm calm and confident...I allow them to tire themselves landing weak punches to either my back or ribs...then I use my training to get them in an "unfavorable" position where they either get something broke or they beg for mercy. Whats better than that honestly???

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jayer said:
Darp that sounds like a good description. I think I may sign up for BJJ. The thing that discourages me about it is that it seems to have faded out in effectiveness in MMA tournaments.

For example, I see the top guys being good wrestlers or kick boxers and ground and pounders but fewer submissions taking place.

ie:
Randy Coutoure
Tito Ortiz
Chuck Liddell

I want to learn Mixed Martial Arts but I want to focus the most on which aspect is most important. It seems like its either kickboxing or wrestling?

Straight bjj fighters no longer dominate because other fighters aren't so damn ignorant about ground fighting. Look at Royce.

But you still have to have ground techniques. Right now, you don't know anything. It's good to start with bjj.

You'll learn how to seriously dismantle MOST people. You're not in the ring with Chuck Liddell, so don't get too worried.

Get a good grappling base, and then add some stand up. Many bjj schools have both.

I'm doing bjj right now and also do some thai boxing. I'm planning to learn kali knife and stick fighting in the next few years too.

PRMoon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
WORKEROUTER said:
I'm doing bjj right now and also do some thai boxing. I'm planning to learn kali knife and stick fighting in the next few years too.
I'm framilar with Kali Stickfighting and Kali Daga (knife fighting). Both of these will vastly improve your overall ability as a fighter if you stick with them. Stickfighting with one or two sticks (and after you develope further machetes) will improve your reflexes, ability to recognize strike/defense zones, overall movement in combat. Kali Daga in one way or another has influenced knife fighting for the bulk of miliary and police organizations through out the world. I only know enough to get by with but even a moderate practitioner can be deadly with a medium or small sharp object (doesn't have to be a knife). I spent a lot of time practicing these before formal sword training (I studya Iiado) but only off and on since then. I really should get back into it because while learning and concentration is intense with full sword combat, it isn't all that usefull in everyday life.

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
in the US Civil War, more soliders died from disease/infection than all of the combat deaths put together
That's it! Germ warfare ...

But seriously, as my karate instructor put it: "If there was one style that was better than all the others, everybody would be doing it."

Da Realist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The truth is that there is not a dominate style for all situations. Striking styles are best for delivering an effective blow at a moment's notice and being able to get away. Grappling styles are more useful for one on one fights than fighting groups, unless you have the leader in a submisson and the others will stop fighting. Every style will bring different tools for you to use and a certain mindset, but experince, determination, and conditioning will win most of the time.