Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

What is a good major to major in when in college??

BingoBango

Don Juan
Reaction score
Some good advice given so far. The idea of low stress and making a lot of money is bullsh1t. If u want low stress u must accept less money. If u want a lot of money then u must accept that high stress is part of the deal.

U can make money in all disciplines if u work hard. Similarly u can be mediocre and not make money in all disciplines by not working hard or being crap at it.

Also i would be careful of listening to people who say "oh u should do this major" etc, because people are biased in favour of what they did themselves. Eg i love business and got a business degree, so i kinda feel thats the best option for everyone (obviously this isnt the case).

But the best option is one ur suited to the most and if u like the discipline or industry then thats good too. Eg if ur good at science, doing medicine... maths maybe engineering or financial business, humanities then law etc etc.

Making a lot of money will take a lot of time, SACRIFICE, so that will mean less time to spend on women. However, while ur studying everyone from all majors/disciplines makes time to party and fvck chicks.

FairShake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
youngmack said:
Or a physical therapist for a major sports company
You need a doctorate to be a physical therapist. With your 2.0 average that is not currently an option. If you go to community college and bust your hump and make it into a 4 year and then beyond then maybe.

A physical therapist assistant only needs a associate's degree from a community college or a JUCO. They are actually the medical professional who often delivers the care while a PT formulates the care plan. You would be more hands on. I doubt a sports team uses a ton of PT assistants but you could find work in a rehab facility or a nursing home pretty easily.

PrettyBoyAJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
True Leper, very true.

I need to elaborate more. If you want to do something which seems easy or is less work then do something that you love to do. You might end up dead broke however. So make sure whatever you do is creative and unique and that actually has a demand.

Having majors like communications and history is a waste of money in my opinion and will lead you to the unemployment line.

College is one of the biggest hustles in America. You must pay all this knowledge for information that you can easily get for free in the library. Just more money for the government I suppose.

Don't go to college and be undecisive. So many people change their majors and it costs thousands of dollars! I still see people who have not graduated yet they were 3rd and 4th year students when I was a freshman. I decided in high school I wanted to get an accounting degree and finished the program in 3 1/2 years. I could have got it in 3 years if I didn't play around my first year of college. But some cats out here change their major like they change underwear. College is not free.... I don't care if you got all the financial aid in the world. You got to pay these loans back. So unless your an athlete I suggest for you to be decisive.

sstype

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Social_Leper said:
I see where you're coming from but this is terrible advice man. Doing "what interests you" rather than something more practical or employable is why America has a mile long line of liberal arts graduates waiting in the dole queue. There are certain degrees that are generally better than others in terms of prospects and options. OP should be made aware of this.

Anyone who says there's no such thing as a "good major" probably isn't doing Art History, Media Studies or some other degree that allows them to express themselves and nurture their interests. Tell that to your would be employer as he immediately bins your CV.
I don't see anything wrong with the liberal arts majors per se, its the entitlement mentality of the people taking them "oh once I have my degree, employers will be knocking down my door with job offers."

I understand career opportunities are not as clear cut with the liberal arts majors, but they do have their place and plenty of people who studied them went on to have successful careers.

If you have the mindset, the temperament, and the willpower to succeed, then the major you choose should be a small part of the overall package you offer to employers. Were you active on campus? Did you network? What other skillsets did you learn while you studied your major? Did you do internships, travel abroad?

Good companies want well-rounded intelligent candidates, regardless of the major.

Poonani Maker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My job is b!tchin' hard, and it's stressful, but it compensates me well, and I definitely would not be doing it if I'd been able to acquire a same-paying job in my 4-year Finance major (not all for naught as it always got me through doors AWAY from my home town with no other connections to lean on).

Whatever degree you Complete (you must complete what you paid for and started else it's for naught), you must have or work on a backup to a backup to a backup to your current real job. I'm working on 2 backups. I wish that I worked harder than I am currently working on my backups as I need to be proficient at these practices to be able to support myself seamlessly should i have to move or get hurt or whatever. It would also be nice to make money at them on the side on top of my current career. Point is, don't let up once you get what you want. You'll be naked being so one-dimensional. Fortify yourself with at least 2 other appendages to keep a good man going for the rest of his life as changes may or may not come. It's all about being able to Demonstrate your knowledge, providing evidence of your mastery and work, internalization. If you cannot speak it, or show the verifiable results on paper to someone, a girl, whatever, then what you say you have (experience, mastery, whatever) is not gonna be believed by the people you are trying to impress about yourself for $$ compensation on down the road. It must be tangible, your worth must be visible, and not what you Say it is; therefore I seek to learn about things that I can demonstrate as having grasped the inner workings of. Until you get friction, where the rubber meets the road, then you're just theorizing and not gaining any experience in a field (Anything, this goes for doityourself fixing stuff around the house, cooking something new to eat, whatever). Semi-successes or rocky successes (breaking things along the way) paves the path to smooth successes or easily repeatable successes like making a free throw.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
STEM or accounting. Anything else is a waste of time/money. I did accounting and it still took me 6 months to find a real job after graduating, and the pay sucks. Everyone I know who did a hobby degree is ****ed; even some of those who didn't are still ****ed.

don't

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd say, from your lack of a grasp of English,

that journalism or teaching English or writing should NOT be your major. :) Honestly, I'd say that it's all a crap shoot, about whether or not your education will be of real value to you. The past is not really much of a guide to future performance, you know. :) Me, I'd stick with buying first one old wood framed house, on a tax sale, for under 10k of my money, 10-20k of bank's money, and first rent out lockers, in one room, to the street people, for $10 a week. That way, the house doesnt have to be "up to code" for habitation. As you can afford to do so, get room after room fixed up and rented out, adding house after house, until you have a solid enough income to do whatever you want. In the time it takes to finish college and pay off your loans, you could instead be finanically independent. There is always a market for a place to get off the street, out of the weather, out of sight, not waking up to having your head beaten in, etc. If you can enter that market at the right price, you can make a ton of money.

FoolsCause

Don Juan
Reaction score
sstype said:
There is no such thing as a "good major" as its all boils down to individual preference and what may be "good" fields of study for some people may be terrible for others. Don't pick a major/career that doesn't play to your strengths or personality just because its "stable" or "pays well" because all you will be doing is joining the army of people that did exactly the same as you and are now miserable for it.

But if you need help deciding which direction to go, here is my advice....

1. Figure out your personality type and what your key strengths are.

Are you overall a big picture guy or detail oriented? Are you an extrovert and outgoing or do you prefer to keep to yourself? Are you a good multi-tasker or not? Do you need to move around constantly or can you sit in one spot all day? Do you prefer working with your hands or working with your head?

Really sit down and do a thorough assessment of yourself. For example, if you're the type that needs to move around constantly, then a desk job (i.e. accounting, finance) would be out-of-question. Maybe look into sales and marketing instead.

2. Research what jobs/careers best fit your core competencies

Don't base your career choice off of T.V. shows or hearsay. Talk to people in the field, google pros and cons, figure out which jobs are in demand and can provide a comfortable income. Maybe look into creating your own job by going solo....if there's a market for whatever you can provide.

3. Determine if college fits your game plan

If you expect to waltz into school, get a bachelors' degree which will be your golden ticket to a 60k starting job, get your head out of the sand. Right now the market is FLOODED with college graduates in EVERY major. Heck, read about the huge number of unemployed law school grads who owe 100 grand plus on their loans. Snap out of this whole "which major pays the best/has the best job prospects" because ultimately that shouldn't be the purpose of college anyways. There are plenty of vocational fields which pay well that doesn't require 4 years and over 20k in "job training". Heck I know a guy who quit his teaching job and now makes over 100k a year bartending at a gay club in Atlanta.

Basically, as cliche as I can sound.......do what you love or at least don't mind waking up every morning for. And sh1t that might change every few years or so....and that's fine! Very few people stick to doing the same thing their entire lives. We don't need to have our life all figured out at age 21. Plenty of changes can happen and what we though was good for us then may not be what makes up happy now. Don't let society brow-beat you into a corporate desk job because that's the "only way" to live a comfortable life. Screw stability. You're young, single, and unattached. You can afford to take risks right now....find your passion...and if it doesn't work out, you can always fall back on something stable later on.

Hopefully I didn't come off as rambling or anything but best of luck man.
Major in what interests you and suits your abilities. I majored in business to be practical, and it didn't work out well for me since I don't enjoy sales or bean counting. Major in whatever fits you best, maybe a trade school since you don't seem to like academia.

don't

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd take the easiest thing to pass, online classes, that paid the most in loans, and use the loan money to get something going in the way of a business. Take something that's easy to pass, like Liberal Arts. It can pay 27k a year to take this, for 2 years. Take the CLEP test, which lets you skip the first 2 years of college.

avoidthenoid

Don Juan
Reaction score
Finance. You work for a bank which is easy as ****, and chicks think you're smart when say finance. But don't go with something you hate just because of the $$$. But avoiding liberal arts degrees that don't train you for a specific job is credited.