What I learned in HS

es_mer8

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Inspired by AC/DC, I felt that this would be a good opportunity to show you guys how HS was a real b1tch and how it was possibly the best learning experience I will ever have in life.

1. Have fun

All too many people I knew including myself, would always sacrifice fun for either maturity or shyness or whatever. I never went to any HS dances. In hindsight I really didn't care if I went to them or not but if I had the option of redoing HS, I would probably go to them. I barely went to school functions. I regretted doing this. Instead I was either playing PlayStation or watching TV. You guys should treat HS like an amusement park. It should be fun. The way I see it is that until you are 22, these are the best years of your life. Bills are nonexistent or minimal, responsibility is there but minimal, and having fun is considered a requirement.

2. Skip the drama

A lot of people I know are drama queens (especially the ladies) and piss away weeks into months of time in superfluous drama that frankly should have never happened. Simply put, your HS career is short and you'll never get it back. A lot of people will try to put drama on you and the best advice is find the quickest way to shrug it off and continue with your life. Drama is just wasted time.

3. Keep the part time work minimal

All too often I see a lot of the losers scurry to their jobs after school and work 30-40 hour weeks. Why? Most people like this have little to no social life because instead of going to Dave's pool party or Maria's birthday party at the bowling alley, they are working from 2-10 pm each day. Sure they have money but why do they have it? They have money, some make around $10k a year but rarely are they happy. They put on a ridiculous facade for the customers at where they work but most of them leave with nowhere to go, nobody to hang out with. Is it worth it? I'd say no. Hell no even. I would work 25-35 hours a week and its a lot. I recommend 20 hours at most. I suggest maybe work on slow weekdays. Avoid weekends like it was the plague.

4. Don't get into serious relationships

I didn't experience this but again, I know a lot of people at the HS and I've seen all too many people try to be in these LTRs that according to both parties were "destined to lead to marriage." I have to say that deep down this is simply puppy love and lust. A lot of people believe its true love. It may be but the odds are real slim. I think until you are maybe in your mid-late 20s, you should never really concentrate on serious relationships. You should have fun relationships. I've seen my buddies get burned because they thought it was love after 2 years but it really wasn't love but this naive faux-love that was just heightened lust and puppy love.

5. Take challenging and varied classes

One thing that I liked in HS was how there was a wide selection of classes catering to different interests. More and more schools are becoming like this instead of the vanilla classes (although they are still required) and I suggest you take advantage of them. One class that I liked the best that helped determine my future was Desktop Publishing. I liked the creativity (the art classes were too buckled down which sucked) and not only did I get perfect scores on all my work, I did so many extra assignments that my grade was 315% I'm dead serious. I loved it. You should take challenging classes. If you are capable of honors classes, take them. Able to take college classes? Take them. In the advanced classes, namely English, there are more girls there, good opportunities for you :)

6. Stay active

Not just exercise (well, that too) but in terms of social events. I wouldn't suggest running for student council (you can if you want) but I mean try to involve yourself in a lot. Of course they should be fun for you. Don't just go straight from your last period class to your couch at home. I suggest going out for at least two sports a year. I did one but I wish I took sports all year for they were fun to do.

7. Your rep is your true best friend

For me, your rep is like walking on eggshells. Truthfully, getting a great rep is not that hard. A lot of people here preach it growing gradually but this is not the case. Most people are friendly for the most part. For now, just focus on getting male friends. Then aim for the females. Bros before hoes, I'm sure you heard of this phrase and its true. Your rep is your only best friend though. You must treat it with respect. Ignore it and it goes away.

8. Never conform

I swear on a stack of bibles that 80% of people at my HS could be lumped into two groups: AE preps and Vans skaters. The AE preps would wear AE clothes that were all the same. They were the same design: thin horizontal stripes on solid colors, blue jeans, and Doc Martens. For the Vans, they had long shaggy hair, coats that never looked washed with punk band patches, shirts with a catch phrase or a band, and grungy baggy shorts with crappy Vans shoes. The remaining 20% wore crappy clothes. There were a handful of people, not enough to constitute a 1% were original. The prom king of my grade is an interesting character. Most girls say he is gorgeous. He isn't an AE prep or a "sk8er boi" but more of a wigger/smooth pimp. He wasn't really afraid of anything or what people thought of him. He was loud and sometimes obnoxious. He could go to any girl and strike up a convo and leave with her number.

Simply put, he was a DJ in every sense of the word. At first I was embarrassed to be near him (we were good friends) but now I realized that I should have been embarrassed of myself more. He is probably the best DJ I've ever known. I really admire him because he didn't conform to the AE or skater group but took his own path and one that lead to massive success that the Vans and AE wh0res only dreamed about.

9. Respect yourself more than anyone

I've seen people that would fetch the alpha male's assignments just to be seen and respected by the alpha male. The opposite applied. He took advantage of them and didn't care if they lived or died. Well I guess he cared if he lived because he could get them to wait on them hand and foot. Alpha males were revered and these beta males (even if thats not the proper term; I'm using it) were looked down upon by the females and the alpha males alike.

Respect yourself. Even if you're not the alpha male, respect yourself to know the difference between helping someone out and being exploited. If you cannot respect yourself then nobody will respect you and thats the bottom line.

es_mer8

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
10. Be friends with the teachers

Like learned tip #9, there is a difference between kissing ass and being friends with them. The last two years were great in which I was almost friends with all my teachers. Yes, they are people as much as you and me. A good example was my 11th grade English teacher. She was a real b1tch the first quarter until I was friendly to her. Slowly more people opened up to her. At the end of the year we found out some really good stuff about her like she was in the infamous Chicago protest in the 60s and how she was basically a flower child. She had more stories but I thought that I not only had a better time, I learned more when it was in a friendly environment. Most teachers aren't really bitter but because most kids refuse to cooperate and turn in half assed assignments, they hate their jobs. Do you like people treating you like dog crap where you work? Of course not. Why should they take it?

11. Elitism = insecurity

Be friends with everyone. See the poor little nerd in the corner scared of the world holding all those big books? Be friendly to him. Be friends with everyone, not just popular kids. Popular kids are good to be friends with because they are very socially active and so will you (which is where my advice #3 comes in) Being an elitist ass will only cost you in the end when people will eventually shy away from you.

12. Stay in contact with everyone over the summer

Even if you don't drive, get rides. If you can't get rides, call them on the phone. In the past I would be really popular at the end of the year (it always happened this way and even to this date I don't know why) and never talk to kids during the summer and the next school year I had to practically start from scratch again. Yes, its fine if you call up your male friends. I imagine you can be able to do at least some summer endeavors with your friends. Your parents aren't that big of asses where they can't take you to a party at least once a month. If they are, keep in touch via phone or even AIM.

13. Eliminate embarrassment, fear, and shyness

#13 is so fitting for this. I cannot emphasize enough that these emotions do nothing but bad things for you. I used to be embarrassed over every little thing. If I got called in class, I would be embarrassed, scared, and shy all rolled up into one huge catastrophe. Then I'd stammer out the answers and be the dork I envisioned I was. Get rid of these emotions. Now.

14. Last but not least...

Don't be afraid to approach girls! Yes, female hormones are raging just like our male hormones. Don't wait for lame parties where you have to rely on alcohol or weed because the girl will think you're too drunk or stoned to be serious. Approach them the first class. Most people come into new classes feeling sometimes nervous of what to expect. Most cling to their friends that they know like moths on a porchlight. Go up to them and talk about the class. Sometimes it may not be just about the numbers game. I think that having everyone like you includes the female gender as well. I suggest for every one girl you want to date, you should have three female friends. If you have friends, don't let them walk all over you. Respect them and don't take sh1t and they will come to respect you as well.

That is what I learned in HS.

Smooth as Anything

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Very good post!

es_mer8

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Smooth as Anything
Very good post!
Thanks. There was one more that I was going to add and its basically be respectful towards your parents. However you should do this at all times. A lot of people say "OMG, they are so unfair" Odds are they were the same as you and make decisions based on experience. Respect them and it will help you in the end. B1tch them out and it will only bite you in the ass later in the end. Most parents are like this anyway. If they truly are c0cks then just take it for four years and then go away to college or whatever you decide to do.

kevbo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
nice job.

die4me

Don Juan
Reaction score
I wrote a tip, it was a little longer than this and yet you covered what I was saying plus more and you broke it down too. Good job at an excellent post.

blienk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Great post, especially the part about skipping the drama. Life is not an episode of Dawson's Creek. AFCs obsess over their mistakes, DJs learn from them and MOVE ON.

es_mer8

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Great post, especially the part about skipping the drama. Life is not an episode of Dawson's Creek.
Agreed. I imagine that a lot of people get their lessons in drama from shows like Dawson's Creek. It just reminded me of this one time when this one girl banged this guy who left her after sex. She got so pissed off that she spent seriously two years talking and complaining about it. Finally she stopped after everyone got tired of it and told her to shut up about it. For some odd reason, she listened (a first with this girl) She never went out with anyone else because if they even looked at the guy, she hated him because he was "friends with a dog." That was two years of wasted time. What was worse was that his dating career was screwed because she had a lot of friends and to stick together, most shunned him. He eventually found his way to girls from other schools but still, that was two years of drama that was time well wasted. If I was her, the most I'd want to get mad is for maybe 2-3 days at most. Then I'd move on.

AFCs obsess over their mistakes, DJs learn from them and MOVE ON
Some people are so enamored with drama that they have to have drama in order to make their lives more complete. Even to this day (although I'm still learning) I still question why a lot of people are so attracted to drama. When it happens with me, I shrug it off. One time a kid wanted to beat my ass because he was "pursuing" (yeah right) this one girl that I got a number from. I said, "If thats what you want to do, then do what you feel is right." Keep in mind I would have pounded the hell out of him. He was expecting a fight but he never talked about it after I told him that.

I think ladies will also respect a man that keeps his drama to a minimum. Drama is best left for AFCs and women.

Smooth as Anything

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by AFK Protector
HS bible material. BUMPED LIKE A SHORT BUS ON CRACK!
A short bus on crack? I demand an explanation.

Wonderbread166

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Maybe he means ~a~ crack? Like a bus that hits a crack and goes bump, i guess.

:confused: :p