Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

What do you investors think about the Motley Fool?

iqqi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just got an email from them asking for $187 of my hard earned dollars because they are so awesome and will make me rich, and they consistently crush the S&P 500. Now being a complete newbie to this world of gambling, I really don't know how great that is, or how full of sh!t. I mean, SOUNDS good. But is it? :confused:

And where the hell is Joekerr. I need him to be part of my friggin investing discussions! :mad:

For anyone who is following my investing progress, I just found a bunch of books at a thrift store. For $1 a piece, I now have two basic books on investing, as well as a book on Buffet. :)

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
winners make the money, they don't write about it ( credit to someone else). I personally don't read anything except financial statements, balance sheets, and annual reports from the past 10 years when deciding to pull the trigger on a company's stock. Why should you listen to anyone else? They are peddling stuff trying to make a buck, that's it. Do you think you will get rich doing what everyone else is doing?

As warren buffet said, I would pay money not to read someone elses opinion. Do your homework, and buy when its a good deal! Speaking of good deal, Goldman is in a bit of hot water, and anxious shareholders are selling. Still a bit pricey, but I like the bad news right now surrounding the company. Good buying opportunity.

Julius_Seizeher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dude Goldman's still trading at $160. She'd have to put millions in it to make any kind of return.

And assuming she is still talking about investing $1000/month, but desires the big gains as we all do, there are basically two ways to go:

1. Retirement: If you are funding a retirement, open a Roth IRA and have them put it in T. Rowe Price Small Cap and Fidelity Transportation, while continually evaluating fund performance. Those are my two favorite mutual funds right now, they are cleaning up in my Roth.

2. Growth Investment: IMO, flip pennies with that money. Sure it takes more research and a bigger time commitment, but where the hell else do you have a chance to get 300% a DAY?

Here's my investment philosophy: Shoot for the stars, unless you're already rich and don't have to.

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Julius_Seizeher said:
Dude Goldman's still trading at $160. She'd have to put millions in it to make any kind of return.
Might want to finish what I said :

Still a bit pricey
I am not talking about making a fortune, just doing ones own leg work. GS is an interesting pick since its price is taking a hit from bad news. Look at it from the angle of buying when the going is cheap, not from the point of view of making a quick buck..

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's snake oil. If anyone beat the market by that much for very long, then they would very quickly have all the money they needed and not have to hawk overpriced newsletters.

Trader

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
They do teach you how to do fundamental analysis which is valuable but you are better off borrowing a book from your local library to learn how to do it

Their performance numbers are highly inflated, I am pretty sure they threw out losing stock picks indirectly, by having different portfolios and only reporting the performance of the most successful ones.

There are actually some simple strategies that do beat the market (defined as S&P 500) but they require you to take a long-term horizon and dollar-cost average, a combination which few people can achieve.

For example, buying low price-to-book stocks will outperform the general market but not in the short 1-year time period. In fact it is not even guaranteed for the 3-year time period.

Axcell

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Julius_Seizeher said:
+1.
Check out Nokia, pretty undervalued at $12. It's bound to go up with the introduction of the N8. At an all time low, its most likely to go up despite competition from Apple, RIM, and Google.