What causes heartburn/acid reflux

SmoothTalker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys, hoping somebody has some ideas.

Here is the situation: I recently (about 2-3 weeks ago) started experiencing pretty regular heartburn/acid reflux. This is strange because I have never had this problem before, and can't figure out what is causing it.

I was starting to drink too my coffee when this started so I've tried cutting out caffeine, but that hasn't helped. Otherwise my diet has not changed.

For supplements, I take fish oil, calcium with magnesium and zinc, coq10, and a multi. Also, a scoop of whey after workouts. None of these are new, and I did not have problems before while taking them.

The only thing I can think of is the calcium supplement. I got a slightly different one when my old one ran out. I don't remember what exactly was in the last one, but I am a bit concerned about the zinc levels in this one. Can taking 20 mg of zinc at a time cause heartburn?

If anyone has any thoughts or experience please share.

Rocky123

Reaction score
A glass of milk does provide immediate relief as it goes down, but milk contains calcium and protein, and these eventually stimulate even more acid production in the stomach.

JohnnyIrish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It does sound counter intuitive but the problem as quagmire mentioned may be that you don't have enough stomach acid for your food.

I have the same problem (its common as people get older, but in our society people all too often treat the symptom not the problem and take acid reducers instead of finding the real problem). I'd get a lot of acid reflux. I started taking hcl tablets with my food and the reflux stopped. Just got another reminder last night as I forgot to take my tabs with a meal and I got my reflux again. I took said tabs and the heartburn went away in 20ish minutes.

SmoothTalker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok, thanks guys, I will look into the HCl.

However, I think that would indeed be just treating symptoms without getting to the root cause, because I don't understand what would cause me to stop producing enough HCl pretty much over night. I don't think it's an age issue, I'm in my early 20s.

Could something be missing from my diet that my body needs to synthesize HCl?

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lack of acid. I think your body compensates when you eat, then gives you too much acid!

You can also try drinking apple cider vinegar before your meal. Half a shot, mixed with some water. Or take it straight, but it burns your throat and its bad for teeth. Better diluted.

You can always try a good nutritionist. They might have a solution or a cause.