Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

What are ways to speak clearly/ better?

Ak89

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok so when i am talking to girls most of the time they can't understand everything i say. An 2 days ago i was talking to this girl i trying to get head from and she is like

"Speak up i can't understand what you are saying"

I said the sentence three more times before saying forget it.

When i talk sounds like i am mumbling and i hate it so much. I need tips or something to teach me how to speak clearly and not mumble. Another thing that i think makes it sound like mumbling is because i have a deep ass voice lol

johnny_chase

Don Juan
Reaction score
BUY A TAPE RECORDER AND TAPE YOURSELF. Read the newspaper or something into it, and listen to yourself. Figure out things to change and change them through practice.

We all talk kind of weird sometimes. Too fast, too slow, too low volume, etc. It'll take time to fix though. It could also be that you arent entirely comfortable with the girl you're talking to.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ladiesssman
joint toasmasters.org
He means toastmasters.org

Depending on your family's social standing, you might want to talk to your father about something such as what ladiesss has recommended, or perhaps another alternative he might recommend. Also, it will definitely benefit you to perhaps visit a used book store and purchase some college-level speech books (I see that you're 15, which is why I'm not recommending you take speech classes or sign up for speech lessons). It looks like you're trying to improve your enunciation and learn to project your voice better... as with everything else in life, practice makes perfect.

alboh

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a deep voice too, and broadcasting is my family trade so I've always been interested in the voice. I had the same problem as you -- deep voice but mumbling and people having trouble hearing what I was saying.

The great news is that since your voice is naturally deep, once you get it in shape (esp when you are older) the girls'll be rubbing themselves up and down your leg. But in fact anyone can improve their voice a great deal, no matter how high-pitched it is: most bad voices are the result of habits you picked up.

Here are some tips that have benefitted me. This is a random compilation of the most beneficial stuff I've picked up from my voice coach and various books I've read:

-The #1 problem with mumbling is linked to self-conciousness. Try to stop worrying about how your voice sounds, whether what you are saying sounds "right". Don't try to make your voice sound a certain way, rather focus on getting rid of bad habits to find your natural voice. Almost everyone's natural, habit-free voice is very good. Why do you think, as one of my books said, that a tiny little baby is able to make such a loud crying sound for hours on end, without getting tired? 99.99% of us are born with a natural voice, but we pick up bad habits that squander it.

-Pronunciation. Are you pronunciating everything clearly? Try reading a paragraph from a book with a wine cork placed gently between your teeth (just so much that its pretty loose -- dont clench down on it or something). Go sentence-by-sentence, overpronunciating every syllable. You should be trying exagerrate to the point where someone listening to you with the wine cork in your mouth could, with effort, make out what you were saying. At the end of every sentence take out the cork and read the sentence again. This will teach you how to pronunciate.

-Breathing. Your lungs are much bigger than you think. They're not two tiny bags in the middle of your body -- they stretch all the way from near your collarbone down to your belly. There are alot exercises to improve this, but I don't think I can explain them adequately here and I wouldn't want you to hurt yourself. But a good voice coach or book can show you how to increase your vocal power through opening up your breath.

-Body language. This was the #1 thing that improved my voice. This is hooked into habits again. If your body is uptight a tense, your voice will be too. Do you suck in your belly? Let it out! Sink your shoulders if you are holding them up. Relax your body and your voice will be more relaxed as well. I have found, since I started paying attention, that if I am distracted for a few minutes I will find my shoulders hunched up and my stomach sucked in, through habit. Relaxing my stomach alone gives my voice much more depth and power.

I hope this helps. I have been meaning to write a longer article on the voice for the Tips section for quite a while -- if you guys are interested let me know and I will get on it.

MoveYourAss...

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
alboh: an article on this would be greatly appreciated.

ak89: There is also a brief but good part on the voice / breathing in Fingaz "Weapons of mass seduction". Check it out.

I myself have also a deep voice, and in the past mumbled such that people would often not understand.

I remember uncountable situations where people wouldn't understand me and just say "yeah", because it's boring to ask 10 times for repetition. This used to drive me crazy. Today my perspective changed a lot, and if I experience this with other people I catch myself doing the same thing ;-).

Another common mistake is speaking too fast, as if you are afraid that you couldn't finish your point. I believe, in addition to all he points mentioned up there, there might be a great deal of social insecurity involved. Like (mumbling):"Sorry that I'm in this world".
Improving the projection and power of your voice will certainly enhance your life.

Another hint: SING. Try karaoke.

MoveYourA$$... and your brain will follow

frenchlover

Don Juan
Reaction score
it may cost some money, but you NEED a speech therapist.
something like what you are describing CAN be corrected and it is EXTREMELY important to have clear, understandable speech in life. It will if it already hasn't lead to problems down the road for you. No one wants to hire someone that no one can understand and people will mistake you for stupid even though you aren't.
When I was a child I had a lysp. when i said words like ship it sounded like sip. my parents recognized the problem, got me a speech therapist and after a handful of sessions, the problem was corrected.
good luck

toastmaster is good too, but that's more for people who don't know WHAT to say. if you know what you want to say, but can't say it clearly then toastmaster won't help

Tempest

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Awesome topic and I've learned a lot from it already!!

I have the SAME problem with the deep voice/mumbling. It stinks. I've been trying to correct it. A lot of people just say to me "speak from the diaphragm". Okay, so I google and try to learn about it and do the tips that they do... but it doesn't make a difference. I don't even know if I am doing it right. I don't even know how to incorporate it everyday. Maybe someone could post on that, too.

And it'd be GREAT if you could post a tip on this, alboh.

I'm actually interested in getting into sales, and this is a part of my life that is an insecurity and that I would love to get handled without spending money on professional help.

I liked that pronounciation exercise... I'm going to commit myself to doing these every night.

My problem is sometimes I have a lispe, mumble, don't speak loud enough, slurr, pronounciation, at a loss of words, or stumble over words.

Just the other day I was stumbling over words. I wanted to say to someone "Hey Peter do you need a hand with anything?" I messed up saying it 3-4 times.

Anyways, thanks. =)

AFK Protector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Another way to is read everything out loud instead of in your head. Also get off AIM for a bit or forums and speak to people whenever you can. You cannot hope to master this in seclusion and jump into society being an eloquent bastard. I know because that's what I'm doing and it helps..

diplomatic_lie

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
1) Talk slower

2) Don't be afraid to pause (and think) while talking

3) The more words you use, the less valuable they become. The less words you use, the more valuable they become

4) Practice every day for 15 minutes. Use a tape recorder, in front of a mirror

Ak89

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thank for the help i been working on it for the past few days. I can see a slight improvement i didn't really know so many people had the same problem.

alboh

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I will write a full tips article when I'm not flooded with schoolwork -- give me a week or two. In the meantime guys, focus mainly on relaxing your body when you speak -- let your stomach out, drop those shoulders..makes a huge difference both psychologically and physically for your voice.

Ice Cold

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ahahahaha

I typed "empower your voice" in google.

The first thing that comes up is the secor finger post :D

Grey Fox

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you really want to speak clearer, I got a way for you to do it. It takes work but if your willing to do it you'll sound great.

What you do is you take a book you are reading, or want to read. Also grab a pen too. Put the pen in your mouth like a bit and then start reading, aloud trying to pronounce the words will sound funny at first. But after doing that for a couple of weeks you are going to sound crisp.

-Grey Fox

RiceHapa888

Don Juan
Reaction score
I kinda did mumble to sometimes until I got a job where I had to talk all day. I learned that to better deal with customers or people so that they understand what you have to say, you must
speak medium speed not fast, sometimes you can but not often- make sure you pronounce each syllable- a word like "intercontinental" was one word I said unclearly for awhile.. make sure you pronounce each syllable loudly and clearly- as long as you are understood and speaking medium slow to medium you wont have any trouble being understood.