Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Westside program question

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
IDK if anyone here knows anything about Westside-style programming. I've been reading a lot about it lately and I feel like giving it a try. I'm getting a little bored of doing the same exercises over and over and I'm at a gym now that has all kinds of neat stuff so I can do the special exercises.

Anyway I was checking out this "Basic Westside Template" from EliteFTS:

Sunday – Dynamic Effort Bench

Dynamic Bench Press
Triceps
Shoulders
Lats/Upper Back

Monday – Max Effort Squat/DL

Max Effort Exercise
Hamstrings
Low Back
Abs

Wednesday – Max Effort Bench Press

Max Effort Exercise
Triceps
Shoulders
Lats/Upper Back

Friday – Dynamic Squat/DL

Dynamic Squat
Hamstrings
Low Back
Abs
They say to alternate between squatting and deadlifting movements on the ME lower body day... so does that mean you only squat once every 2 weeks and deadlift once every 2 weeks?

I know they are similar exercises and use similar muscle groups but that doesn't seem right...

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What's the issue? There's 2 squat/dl days a week. You don't need to go max effort all the time.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The whole idea behind Westside is that you dont need to train maximally all the time to get strong. You just need to train optimally.

Contrary to popular opinion, there isnt one Westide 'method'. It's really a collection of methods and principles that are used by more advanced lifters. Intermediate lifters can get benefit from it as well, you just cant make it too complicated.

A lot of guys I know will squat and pull on the same day, alternating heavy sq/dl every other week. The traditional Westside template uses the ME/DE days. You are still squatting and doing some kind of pulling every week, just not maximal squatting and pulling. It was designed this way for a reason because otherwise you would fry yourself in no time.

Keep in mind also that the DE stuff is mainly designed for equipped lifters. If you are into raw lifts and strength, DE has a different role. I'm a raw lifter and I do not use a DE say. I do utilize chains and sub-maximal weights, but I dont have time to go in-depth about that at the moment. If you want, PM me; or I'm happy to talk about some Westide methods for raw, noncompetitive lifters here.