Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Weights or Push-ups?

Evil-Rom

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
,-._|\ ................... ............ / Aus \ ..
Hi,
im 16 and I'm trying to get my arms built and strong. Currently, im doing 9 kg weights for each arm 30 times each everyday. I also do push-ups when I dont feel like doin weights and do about 40 push-ups.

I weigh around 60 kg and was wondering if doning push-ups are more effective for getting stronger or are weights the way to go?

Phrozen

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
First of all, don't work out every day. At the very most you only want to work a muscle group two times a week, in many cases once a week is sufficient. Secondly, you won't get built doing just arm exercises. You need to get to a gym and do a complete workout for your whole body.

Don't overwork yourself, its the single easiest way to hinder growth. Muscles are made during rest, not during the exercise.

Halo

Don Juan
Reaction score
I think it's a valid question though: how well do pushups compare to, for instance, a bench press? I imagine using weights is better, but sometimes if it is inconvenient to go to the gym I will substitute with pushups (usually around 60).

Are pushups good enough for at least maintaining muscle tissue, or is something more strenuous needed?

The Great Juan

Don Juan
Reaction score
Push ups aren't much good at all for gaining muscle, trust me, i did martial arts for the majority of my life and could do 100 in a row but until last year i weighed 120 pounds at age 21. Then i started going to the gym and lifting heavy and eating lots of quality calories and gained (still gaining) the weight i'd wanted.

If you can already do push ups ok (say 20 in a row) they will not make you gain muscle by themselves, you will just be able to do more in a row (increase endurance). A few bodybuilders will do them at the end of their chest/triceps day to really exhaust the muscles but that's about it, they are not a mass building excercise.

Oh, and to the original poster, evil-rom you will never have great arms if the rest of your body is lacking, especially your main muscle groups like chest, legs and back.

Legs and back are often neglected and not only is this a detriment to your health (more muscle in your back will protect your spine) but because your back and legs are such large muscle groups, if you work them hard with heavy compound lifts (squats and deadlifts) you will make your body produce more growth hormone which will make you grow faster.

bman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
16? i would go to the doctor and see if your ok to lift weights. you might not be done growing yet.... if you lift weights it can stunt growth because your body is using energy for your muscles to grow and not your bones, etc.

Evil-Rom

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
,-._|\ ................... ............ / Aus \ ..
Thanks for the reply guys...

Right now I probably dont have time to go to a gym before or after school so i just do pushups, situps and weights at home.

Im not really serious about bodybuilding but you gotta at least look toned. :D Btw, im currently 62kg at 1m 85cm.