Weighted situps form

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
how are you supposed to sit up?

You can initiate the lean forward by bending your back and you feel it more in the abs or try to keep your back straight throughout which seems to let the hips do most of the work until near the top.

Is most of the benefit from situps in slowly lowering yourself? Going down slowly i feel it more in my abs than during the actual sit up.

I feel situps just annoy my lower back in general after a few reps and i usually quit because of the discomfort there instead of my abs failing. The same with crunches. (i've been doing a few crunches everyday just to help activate my abs and get over my hip dominance).

I got to the point of doing 3x10@115 lb situps on my chest and am now doing 3x10@40 lbs behind my head (which is pretty annoying to have to hold)

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I heard somewhere that sit-ups are bad for the lower back. I still do them, but a while ago when I used to do them I felt a click in my back each rep, so I stopped. It seems to be okay for now, so I continue.

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I heard somewhere that sit-ups are bad for the lower back
This is absolutely correct. if your gonna do situps do them on an incline sit up bench.

how are you supposed to sit up?
you hold the weight over your head as much as possible or in front of your face lower your body parallel to the ground and you do them on a sit up bench (incline) , not on a flat surface.

Is most of the benefit from situps in slowly lowering yourself? Going down slowly i feel it more in my abs than during the actual sit up.
you benefit from extending and contracting, the muscle does MORE work to raise you up with resistance.

future_strongguy

Don Juan
Reaction score
According to Anthony Ellis, you get more out of the negative motion (the motion resisting gravity), than the positive motion. So when you are doing an exercise like pull ups, you should lengthen the motion going down for as long as possible.

Master Bates

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
future_strongguy said:
According to Anthony Ellis, you get more out of the negative motion (the motion resisting gravity), than the positive motion. So when you are doing an exercise like pull ups, you should lengthen the motion going down for as long as possible.
Umm, aren't your "resisting gravity" when pulling up?

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I do em on the decline press station. I keep my back straight to use the hips more. I think for this case compound> isolation. Never had any lower back issues when I kept my back straight.

I like to lower myself with control, not let my self fall down. But I don't go any slower than I have to.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
future_strongguy said:
As long as possible? So if I can take 30 seconds to lower myself for each rep I should do so?

I think as long as you don't let you're self fall down it'll be alright. Stronglifts said here a while back that some exercises don't benefit from a negative motion like the BOR.

Master Bates

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
incline, decline.....what does that mean as far as which way you're positioned doing the situps? When you're at rest is your head supposed higher or lower than your waist?

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I believe your best bet is to go 2/4. Two seconds up(explosive), four seconds down(controlled). Any longer is bordering on isometrics, or statics.

fireguy

Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't really see a need for direct ab training if you're allready doing squats and deadlifts. Those thickened up my abs with no direct ab training. But if you must train the abs, I'd go with cable crunshes 12 reps and six sets on leg day.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
fireguy said:
I don't really see a need for direct ab training if you're allready doing squats and deadlifts. Those thickened up my abs with no direct ab training. But if you must train the abs, I'd go with cable crunshes 12 reps and six sets on leg day.

you def need to be doing HEAVY ab work or your going to hurt yourself once the weight gets heavy with squats and deads

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
EFFORT said:
you def need to be doing HEAVY ab work or your going to hurt yourself once the weight gets heavy with squats and deads
Dam, I always done it but never knew I defiantly had to do it.

Is heavy decline situps the best? What other exercises are 'heavy ab workouts'?
I know a lot of 'core' exercises (overhead squats, waiter walks, hanging leg raises) but I'm not sure if they count as what you're talking about.

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Crunches??

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
duh haha...i meant weighted crunches

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I disagree...i like decline weighted crunches...doesn't incline defeat all purpose?

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I thought you meant crunches on a flat surface.

decline crunches are awesome

Firsty

Don Juan
Reaction score
Throwing my two cents, been gyming for about 2 yrs now best friend is learning to become a personal trainer. Too much "weighted" situps will likely lead to a powerlifters belly rather than deffinition, strength is attained through slow controlled motions and tone through diet cardio diet and more cardio and also more diet, good diet tho +cardio. lol. Anyways swiss ball is a good sit up, keep ur back straight and start with ur neck supported on the ball lifting ur back/bottom up to the air and then rolling forward into the crunch.
and whoever said incline probably ment decline cause incline situps would be kinda pointless.