Weight lifting repeats.

smooth guy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Alright so like I've said in another thread my goal is to lower body percentage and get some muscle (basically a lean cut body...fits my age). I got my cardio, protein and calorie intakes under control, everything is good.

I'm in a dilemma as far as weight lifting is concerned. I lift 4 times a week and so far I've been lifting a lot of weight with less repeats (4 x 8). Lately though I've noticed I've gained some mass on my pecks, shoulders and back (must be that whey protein I've been taking lately). It doesn't look that great to me since the fat is being mixed with the muscle and bulking up isn't really my goal.

So I've been thinking of changing my habits and doing more repeats with lighter weight (4 x 12). I've heard different opinions about this though, some claim it makes no difference and less weights with more reps is just a myth, while others claim it is best if you're looking to lose the fat quicker.

Just want your take on this one...I'm really baffled here. Thanks :rockon:

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
High reps for fat loss does not work. Your training never changes when you're trying to lose fat or trying to gain mass (except maybe the volume). Stick with what you're doing now to gain muscle, and stick with carb timing and cardio to lose the fat while gaining.

Make sure you're taking in at least 10-15g of fish oil a day and some green tea as well for a faster metabolism.

smooth guy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Got it boss. I'm already on it then. :)