Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

website builder

oboman

Don Juan
Reaction score
Do we have anyone here who is master of building websites? I'm trying to learn. Now I'm using joomla cms. Any tips or suggestions?

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've built several. I've been at it for less than a year.

I started with a program called xara, pretty decent.

Then I got the new expression web 3.0, a little technical, but I built a few sites.

Recently I've switched to XsitePro, which is pretty sweet, you can do a lot with it, and you don't have to really know any code. Although it is expensive, round $200.

I just built a simple site today from a template, and uploaded to a new domain, all in about thirty minutes.

If you want a free one, google komposer. I use that a little bit to make tables and stuff.

hope that helps

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I own black17media.com

Joomla is php/mysql platform, even if you want to master one open source content management system, you are going to have to learn how to custom code modules. you are also pigeon holeing yourself by not learning php5

also different open source platforms are better for different things. Joomla is good for your basic info site and has some good extensions like jomsocial and virtuemart, but if you are doing real ecommerce I prefer os commerce. If you are doing a site with social networking capabilities you are betting using social engine or dupral than joomla and trying to add the jomsocial extention, etc.

The real money is in ajax / RoR these days. never a bad thing to know php but people are putting alot of money into sites with fast load times.

shaunuk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm with backbreaker on this one. If you want your website truly how you want it...you can get pretty far with pre-coded CMS's (content management systems) i.e. you have yourself a static content site.

But really, you eventually need to learn a server-side language (like php, perl, ASP, etc) - else you're stuck with a static content web site with fvck all functionality. You can find pre-written scripts to do things you want on sites like hotscripts.com - but even then, you'll need to learn how to install them and they probably need tweaking as well.

Basically...plan for building a website you're properly satisfied with...

1) Learn HTML + Javascript (the client-side sh1t)

2) learn the server-side stuff like PHP or ASP or Perl (there are others)

3) learn database stuff (i.e. SQL and how to configure the database etc..try MySQL)

4) you'll probably be using a paid web host...but still worth reading some stuff about configuring web servers (they'll be running apache in most cases)

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
well, Joomla is not static. Joomla is built using php/mysql platform. it in itself is dynamic. A static site is one that simply does not call information from a database. In otherwords, straight html where you have to download the page and put it in dreamweaver and edit the content and upload back, that's a static site

Dynamic site is where the information is stored on a database and you use client side commands to recall the information, hence dynamic.

Joomla is a dynamic site but it's not a language in itself.

Think of it like this. if you are building a "custom computer".. you can go to say, alienware and let them build you a custom computer, but it is only so customized the computer can be. you only have so many options, the options that they give you. If you want to for istance, have a raid 0+1 setup, have a dual screen monitor setup and have 3 different operating systems with dual boot, you need to figure out how to build your own damn computer lol.

You install joomla, you have only so many things you can do with it. Then if you start getting to where you are really good and you are building things like video telecommunication sites, you can't do that **** properly using joomla. it's to inefficent and it won't work well if at all with flex.

"The best thing you can learn is php/mysql. If you learn php/mysql you have then learned all the open source platforms as they are all built in php/mysql. Dupral, wordpress, joomla, magento, social engine, os commerce, Creloaded, etc.

We do alot of custom work, hardly use open source unless a client is trying to save money then it's a very good idea or unless they suggest it.

Also, you have to realize how competitive the business is. You are trying to get a clients business, the people who can make a really good living programming, are the people who cang et jbos without the first thing they do is slash price. when a programmer comes out the box and says we can do this for 200 dollars you know you are dealing with a low dollar outfit, beucase they don't have the abaility to do anything other than probably take a tempalte and put it in joomla.

I've found in the past that same customer is more than willing to pay 5-6 x more than that at times (sometimes they aren't) if you can just show that you are a professional and not just some guy installing templates.

hell i can find someone in india to install a tempalte on top of joomla and call it a website for 5 dollars and hour if not 4.

But to build that same site from scratch, and add other custom features if need be, to be able to write your own scripts and make them work right, to have a site that doesn't have bad code, to be able to work in a timely manner, to have sites that don't look like cookie cutter websites.. that's how you get paid.

I know we have a flex guy and he gets paid WAY more than anyone else programmer wise on my staff, because a good flex guy is very hard VERY hard to find.
You learn how to code in flex at a high level and you are looking at a 6 figure income.

I will say that compared to the other business I had when I was younger, this is a peice of cake, becuase I can count on my hand the outfits that I have seen that actually know how to sell and not just program. You see someone and they tell you they have all these bids from 30-40 people, maybe 2-3 of them actually know how to sell what they are doing. Coming from selling computers online and selling cars before that..s elling websites is alot easier, not becuase they are easier to sell.. more technical and you have to know what you are talking about, unlike seling cars where you can wing it and selling computers where you can just copy specs. I have to take what you want, show you step by step what is the best way to go about doing it, and WHY it's the best way to do it and show examples of us doing it in the past at a high level. they are harder to sell actually.. but the sales people you are competing with dont' know how to sell and are pretty lazy bunch for the most part. They do nothing but roll out a portfolio and beg you to sign up.

shaunuk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
well, Joomla is not static. Joomla is built using php/mysql platform. it in itself is dynamic. A static site is one that simply does not call information from a database. In otherwords, straight html where you have to download the page and put it in dreamweaver and edit the content and upload back, that's a static site
ah ok thanks for letting me know - i've not used joomla before - I should've checked :)

But yeah main point was agreeance with BB - if you're going to have a site that really does what you want - you're going to have to do at least some coding yourself...Or, OP, just get backbreaker's company to do it :) (if you have money)

Fly By Night

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What would be the best way to actually learn php/sql? I took an sql class over the summer and nearly got an A, yet I know nothing about actually getting it on a site and so and so. All I can say I learned from that class is how to make entity relational diagrams and SQL code. I'm designing a website for someone using an online website builder and it looks very generic.

beucase they don't have the abaility to do anything other than probably take a tempalte and put it in joomla.
This is basically me right now. Do you have any good sources on learning how to make, set up, and design websites properly? I understand that if I ever want to be paid well, I need to do my job well.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fly By Night said:
What would be the best way to actually learn php/sql? I took an sql class over the summer and nearly got an A, yet I know nothing about actually getting it on a site and so and so. All I can say I learned from that class is how to make entity relational diagrams and SQL code. I'm designing a website for someone using an online website builder and it looks very generic.

This is basically me right now. Do you have any good sources on learning how to make, set up, and design websites properly? I understand that if I ever want to be paid well, I need to do my job well.
sitepointforums.com

go to the lbiary and find some good php/html5 books.

backseatjuan

Banned
Reaction score
I can't help you learn it, but if you want a quality site you can contact backbreaker or me, I have a firm in Russia, can build you a quality site based on any CMS you like (there over 300 open source CMS), even code you a professional CMS from scratch.

But my knowledge is as follows, C++ as basis, I started long long time ago with Microsoft Quick Basic, then switched to Turbo Pascal, and then C++.

For web I know HTML, CSS, XML, and a whole bunch of other markup languages. Then PHP. Which basically allows me to modify anything I come in contact with, and even code a CMS from ground up with nice features, like caching and even cooler generation of static HTML pages to cut down on server costs.

Then there is a design aspect. You have to know photoshop and have a good graphic artistic sense. Sites are made in photoshop then design is transferred into HTML and CSS, then that template is used to create a template for your CMS.

Feel free to contact me, prices start at 12,000 rubles, or 400 bucks.

I also offer SEO services so your site is displayed at the top of search results.

Eph

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
gotta agree with backbreaker. I find it better to custom code what you need. Start by learning HTML. Once your good, and it shouldnt take more than a month or two, start learning the new HTML5 elements and attributes since they take some of the Javascript out. Then learn CSS and finally programming. Like listed above theres javascript for client-side and many different server-side languages. I like PHP you might like Python.

As for learning I couldnt find more than 1 or 2 PHP5 tutorials (when I was learning OOP) so youtube became my friend. As for the basics theres w3schools.com. Theres where I got started web developing 5 (maybe 6 now; I dont keep count) years ago. Just google it. i.e html tutorial, php tutorial etc

Anonimmus

Banned
Reaction score
I prefer Wordpress, it is not so difficult to create website with it