"Blank Mind on Dates? She's Dropping Hints You Keep Missing"

The plates get cleared and the silence lands like a brick. You can feel her waiting. Your brain offers up your commute, your job, the weather — topics that have ended more second dates than bad breath.

Here's what most guys never learn: women hand out free conversational material all night long. Tiny clues about what they actually want to discuss. Catch them and you never run out of things to say — because she's telling you what to say next.

Rule 4 of the "22 Rules" trains your ear to catch every single one.

Read more...

We are not who we are.

LikRetsam

Master Don Juan
Joined
Oct 30, 2003
Messages
1,633
Reaction score
1
Interresting point came up with my girlfriend today. We were talking about how I did something that bothered her and it was a small thing so I tell her I didn't notice but I'll get rid of it. We then started talking about who I was and how I was constantly changing and striving to be my better self. This is what she says without ever talking to her about this lifestyle. She then concludes with:

You are constantly trying to become someone you are not.
 

"You'll Never Feel READY to Walk Over"

Next Monday you'll feel more confident. After the gym you'll feel more confident. After one more drink you'll feel more confident. After you get a better haircut, a better jacket, a better job.

You've been "getting ready" for two years.

She's standing ten feet away right now. She'll be gone in four minutes. No amount of preparation will manufacture the courage that only comes from moving your feet.

Walk over. Stumble through the first sentence. Let it be clumsy. Let it be imperfect. You will feel more alive in those ten seconds than you have all month.

Read more...

Bombshell

Don Juan
Joined
Feb 5, 2004
Messages
105
Reaction score
0
Age
38
Location
Indiana
Ouch, but you should have asked her who she thinks you are. It probably would have been a very interesting response.
 

VIVAlasVEGASBaby

Senior Don Juan
Joined
Apr 2, 2003
Messages
360
Reaction score
3
Location
Durham, NC
Does she know you better than you do?
 

LikRetsam

Master Don Juan
Joined
Oct 30, 2003
Messages
1,633
Reaction score
1
Originally posted by VIVAlasVEGASBaby
Does she know you better than you do?
No. She just doesn't believe in change. She believes "It's who we are!" I told her that was a sad excuse for settling for mediocrity.

She still has a point.
 

Porky

Master Don Juan
Joined
Sep 16, 2003
Messages
1,474
Reaction score
0
You are whoever you choose to be.

Am I now who I was a year ago? No. This was made apparent to me when a guy I used to be friends with saw me and told me he didn't recognize me. I hadn't changed my hair, I hadn't completely changed my clothes, I had changed my posture.

People change. I have no idea why your girlfriend said what she said, but she obviously likes who you are. If she thought you were a phony/poser she wouldn't be dating you, would she?

Sometimes people say things in the heat of a moment that they'll later regret and that they know aren't true.

You decide what kind of person you'll be, not your friends.
 

"She Wants a Man, Not a Boy"

You asked her if she wanted to grab coffee. Then you asked if the time worked. Then you asked if the place was okay. Then you asked if she'd prefer tea.

Four questions. Four chances for her to say no. Four signals that you're terrified of making a decision.

Plan it. Pick the place. Pick the time. Tell her where to meet you. She'll either show up or she won't.

Either way, you look like a man instead of a scared little boy.

Read more...

VIVAlasVEGASBaby

Senior Don Juan
Joined
Apr 2, 2003
Messages
360
Reaction score
3
Location
Durham, NC
Originally posted by Porky
You are whoever you choose to be.
Exaclty what i was getting at; chances are your girlfriend is rambling stuff that she never thought twice about. You made her mad for "doing something that bothered her" and she tried to make you feel guilty for it. Don't take everything people say too seriously, chances are she didn't have a clue in hell what she was talking about.

Btw i in no way am trying to bash your gf, im sure she's a great chick.
 

NRM

Master Don Juan
Joined
May 6, 2004
Messages
563
Reaction score
0
What's wrong with constantly changing and striving to be your better self? Isn't that what we should all be doing?

I figure no matter what you do, you still are being you. If you're being a poser, you're a poser, but that's still you. You are always you, no matter what it is you are. You can't say that you aren't being yourself because what are you being then? Certainly not someone else.

We are always growing and no matter what we should strive to be better. Saying stuff like "You are constantly trying to be someone you are not" is bullshit. If it's so constant, then what's this other you that she sees? You get older, you need to change to adapt, otherwise we'd still see the world through a 5 year old's eyes. Things look different the more you look at it.
 

LikRetsam

Master Don Juan
Joined
Oct 30, 2003
Messages
1,633
Reaction score
1
No, we are not here to discuss why she said it. We are here to analyze the truth within what she said. No matter how many times we change, you still hear the same voice within your head. No matter how many DJ tricks you apply, you are still looking the same physically. There are parts of you that will never change. There are others that will constantly change.

Who I am at this very instant is different from who I will be at the end of this post. Those are insignificant changes. Changes such as AFC --> DJ --> Jerk are fundamental changes to WHO you are. Who you are being your personality. The base that never changes would be your character (to an extent).

Once again, we are analyzing the very sentence. Nothing more. And it has a truth that we do not like. We strive to become our better selves but our better self is someone else. Admit it.
 

NRM

Master Don Juan
Joined
May 6, 2004
Messages
563
Reaction score
0
How is being your better self, someone else? Does self-improvement not involve yourself anymore? The person who you are is created by outside influences no matter what you say. The langauge you speak to the music you listen to was induced by everything outside of your mind. As time goes on you learn more and you change. You weren't born liking punk or rock music, you adapt to it. And music can be a big part of your personality.

What part of a person never changes? I know when you die, everything changes. There are snobby people in the world and they don't know they are snobby. So that means they are being themselves since they don't want to put up a front because they aren't even aware of it. But that is them. If they wanted to be a better person overall and be less snobby, they could and there is nothing wrong with that. But becoming less snobby is not becoming someone else. They are still who they are. Now if the person were to fake not being as snobby around certain people, that's a different issue. But if someone can improve their lives by changing something about them and making them overall happier and appealing making them even happier, I see nothing wrong with that.

I want to be stronger, I work out. I want to be happy, I smile more and do things that make me happy. Changes such as AFC -> DJ -> Jerk are big changes that you know is happening. And just saying that anybody who is trying to better themselves is being someone else is crazy.

If you wake up every morning and feel happy about the person you are and aren't putting yourself down everytime you do something wrong, then I think it's a fine lifestyle to live. Even if you really do think being a better you is being someone else, if that better you is smiling when you wake up, everything is fine.
 

VIVAlasVEGASBaby

Senior Don Juan
Joined
Apr 2, 2003
Messages
360
Reaction score
3
Location
Durham, NC
Pretty interesting read, i'm not sure if this is what you're talking about Lik.

Originally posted by ZenDragon on ASF
The ASF community has always been basing its theories, methods, techniques, and routines base on the fundamental belief that women are generally attracted to the so called ‘alpha’ male. And with that comes all these theories and ideas about what makes a guy ‘alpha’, and what a guy can do to present himself in this ‘alpha’ way in order to attract women.

WRONG

This is not how attraction works. This is only typical idiotic egoistic man thinking. Its like how men make movies about ‘alpha’ heros, acting and behaving in ways that fills MEN’S fantasies, and how they always get the girl at the end. This is the way WE like to think how women SHOULD be attracted to us. But unfortunately it’s just an illusion. It’s a lie. It’s a fantasy we created for ourselves and none of us wanted to face the obvious truth, that has always been right in front of us. We’re too busy trying to be ‘alpha’.

People don’t find each other attractive for their ‘alphaness’. That was never the reason.

Humans, are attracted to the type of person, who possesses certain qualities, character traits, personalities, values...that we lack, but desire to have.

The longest relationship I’ve ever had was 3 years. It was in college. I grow up in a broken family, I hung out with non-main stream people, and I didn’t have much family value. But it was always my desire to have grown up in a complete and loving family. And I always wanted to fit in and be part of the mainstream groups. But my upbringing shaped this outcast character in me. When I met my girlfriend (ex), she was almost the opposite of me, she had a complete family, she had strong family value, she hung out with the ‘mainstream’ people whom I sorta knew but never cared to get to know. Back then she had a history of watching movies or TV shows that involves outcast bad boys with a good heart meeting a good girl and eventually being turned into a good boy by that good girl and live happily ever after. It was a fantasy she never got to live in the environment she was in. I was a depressed bad boy, she was a happy bubbly girl. So when the 2 of us met, it was almost love of the first sight, we met for 1 week and started going out for the 3 years that this relationship lasted.

How did the relationship end? From spending time with her family I learn a lot of family values, and in those 3 year we dated my own family situation got better. I went through personal development programs and became a much more positive person. I started making friends and were more accepted in the ‘mainstream’ group. I developed all these qualities all within myself...I no longer needed her.

When I was a bad boy all the good girls find themselves attracted to me. Now my life is healthier and more positive (I quit smoking AND drinking a few years ago) I find all these party girls who have no directions in life and wish their life could be more productive wanting to be a part of my life.

You see, if a person desires to be outgoing and is not, he/she would be naturally attracted to outgoing personalities

If a person desired to get laid in high school or college and never was able to do so, he would be attracted to young girls even if he 50 (no need to raise your hands).

If a person wants to be a successful business person and isn’t yet able to do so, he/she would be attracted to that type of people.

You always see super fat women going out with super skinny guys.

Tom Cruise found himself a very tall girlfriend (Nichol Kidman)

A person will continue to be attracted to someone who possesses his/her desired character UNTIL he/she either becomes that character, or gets over it.

So what’s the point of all this?

I don’t care who you are, what you do, what you look like, how you live you life, there would ALWAYS be girls who would find you attractive. YES HOT ONES TOO!!! All you need to do is to discover them and then continue being yourself. Trying to put on or develop ‘alpha behaviors’ is ridiculous because it not only clouds up who you really are and ruin your own chances with girls who would naturally be attracted to the REAL you, even the type of girls who find ‘alpha behaviors” attractIVE will be repulsed by you, because it’s incongruent and fake. Girls are more aware and alert then you think, they pay more attention to you then you do to them.

Instead of trying to package yourself a certain way in attempt to attract ‘everyone’.

Get to know yourself, know YOU at this moment in time, and know who you’re attracted to, and know who would be attracted to you. Learn to be yourself. Then go out there and allow this natural force of attraction to happen.

"That seems too easy to be true, I’ve been myself all these years and never gotten anything"

Trust me, being someone else is easy, being yourself is hard. I don’t believe for a second any of you who have trouble getting laid are YOURSELVES when you’re around attractive girls. You must breakthrough that fear of being yourself with women. There is no other way. No methods, gimmick, routines, techniques...etc can help you. If you have a habit of turning into another person and act very differently with attractive girls than with your friends, THAT is the reason you haven’t been successful with attracting them. It’s NOT your lack of ‘skills’, it’s NOT your lack of ‘alpha behaviors’. It’s simply your fear of being yourself around girls and your unwillingness to allow the natural attraction to take its place.
 

"Stop Asking Your Friends What to Text Her"

Your buddy Dave has been single for three years and thinks "hey u up" is a valid strategy. Your other buddy Mike just got dumped and told you to "just be yourself."

You showed them her text. You asked them to decode the emoji. You drafted four responses and sent the screenshot to the group chat for a vote.

She's been waiting forty minutes.

Put the phone down. Stop crowdsourcing your love life. Type something that sounds like you. Hit send. Then go do literally anything else with your evening.

Read more...

VIVAlasVEGASBaby

Senior Don Juan
Joined
Apr 2, 2003
Messages
360
Reaction score
3
Location
Durham, NC
I guess we are simply afriad to be ourselves. There are multiple reasons which i don't need to explain, but then again i suppose we don't even know who we are to begin with. "We are not who we are". But how would you even define "who you are"? By your actions? By your clothes? By what you say?

Say you are a totally nice, cool guy. If you were to wake up tomorrow and feel compelled to be an a$$hole, wouldn't you still be LikRetsam? I guess it simply comes down to how you want to define who you are. I have no clue how to and i will not pretend like i do.

"We are not who we are..."

I suppose i agree, but then again, who's to say?
 

LikRetsam

Master Don Juan
Joined
Oct 30, 2003
Messages
1,633
Reaction score
1
NRM, the fact that I am here should be enough to show you that I agree with you. However, that sentence has a dark dark truth to it. A truth that every poster so far has tried to get around.

Viva, I sincerely thank you for posting that. It was truly interresting. However, I do not change myself for a certain person. I change it for every person. So I guess I'm staying true to "myself".

Between us, the DJs, and the rest of the world is a similarity. We are all ourselves. The difference my friends is that we chose who ourself is. That is why we are happy.
 

LikRetsam

Master Don Juan
Joined
Oct 30, 2003
Messages
1,633
Reaction score
1
I would define who I am by the constant in me. What I did not choose... What was from the begining. That would be things like respectful or being a gentleman. It would also be the things that make me happy. I get very happy when I do something evil to many people and no one knows I had anything to do with it. It gets me very happy to defy/cheat the system. It gets me very happy to manipulate.

There are many such examples. Some things that are imprinted so hard on me that will never change (or have not yet changed). Despite your sincerest efforts, if you love being a jack ass, you are going to be a jackass. Why? Because you won't enjoy being anything else.
 

Smooth as Anything

Master Don Juan
Joined
Sep 21, 2002
Messages
1,230
Reaction score
0
Climb out of the hole...
 

California Love

Master Don Juan
Joined
Jan 2, 2004
Messages
652
Reaction score
0
Location
The Bay Area
you are probably acting unnaturally...trying to pass yourself off as a different character. Usually, people see "change" as good. If she views your change negatively, then you are probably altering yourself into something that doesnt suit you.
 

"She Wants a Man, Not a Boy"

You asked her if she wanted to grab coffee. Then you asked if the time worked. Then you asked if the place was okay. Then you asked if she'd prefer tea.

Four questions. Four chances for her to say no. Four signals that you're terrified of making a decision.

Plan it. Pick the place. Pick the time. Tell her where to meet you. She'll either show up or she won't.

Either way, you look like a man instead of a scared little boy.

Read more...

Ballistik

Don Juan
Joined
May 6, 2004
Messages
126
Reaction score
0
Age
39
Location
Alexandria, VA
Just because you desire change doesn't mean it's not part of who you are. I, for example, love football, and sports in general. I'm gonna be doing my damnedest to bulk up this summer and get more of a toned body. Does this mean I've gone from being some emo freak to a super-jock (I'm not an emo freak, more grunge type of guy, but you get the idea)? No. It just means I'm putting more effort into something I want. If my desires aren't part of me, well fvck, I don't know what is.
 

The Antichrist_Star

Master Don Juan
Joined
Sep 9, 2002
Messages
1,066
Reaction score
3
Age
41
Evolution happens in more forms than simply animals adopting to their environments. There is social evolution, relationships evolve, and people evolve. I am not the same person that I was a mere couple of months ago... and not even really close to what I was three years ago... it is supposed to be that way. Can you imagine what it would be like if our parent's still acted like they were fifteen... hell, my age? Exactly.

You were right the first time LikRetsam, she is merely making excuses for mediocrity.
 

LikRetsam

Master Don Juan
Joined
Oct 30, 2003
Messages
1,633
Reaction score
1
Part of who you are can be found in your desires. But an even greater part can be found in how you handle those desires. That is why parents are parents. They exert control over themselves to best suit the needs of the situation.

Our problem here is that we have two ideas that look almost the same and are easily confused. We have the change we undergo naturally and we have the change we undergo by choice. What is really being said deep down is that we should not try to change by choice because the natural change will fit us best.
 

Julian

Banned
Joined
Jul 30, 2003
Messages
4,754
Reaction score
1,216
Your girlfriends a dumb *****, dont listen to her nonsense.
 

LikRetsam

Master Don Juan
Joined
Oct 30, 2003
Messages
1,633
Reaction score
1
Originally posted by Julian
Your girlfriends a dumb *****, dont listen to her nonsense.
I do not like your comment and find it pathetic that you judge a person you don't even remotely know about. It is also disrespectful towards me and towards her.

Actually, I am just disgusted by you. I don't even need to counter your ideas on the aforementioned "nonsense" because of how incredibly unthought out it is.
 

"I'm Not Looking for Anything Serious Right Now"

When a woman says it, guys hear a confession. A heads-up. A scheduling conflict.

Here's the translation: I don't feel anything. Right now. With you.

Watch what happens when a man triggers actual attraction. The busy career, the recent breakup, the "not in a place to date" — all of it evaporates instantly. The same woman who was guarding her freedom is suddenly free every night.

The "22 Rules" explain why. When the right switches flip, her timeline rearranges itself around you.

Read more...

Top