THE_ADDMAN

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
wow, very interesting :)

thank you

WC2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's true. I stumbled upon the law of attraction a few years ago when I was doing some reading. It's not really a secret anymore, it's just a fact of life that people either don't believe or don't have the willpower to go through with.

Muzzlehatch

Don Juan
Reaction score
pvf94 said:
Summary please?
Let's see. Well, about 7 minutes of footage telling you that, er, there's a 'Secret'. And telling you. And telling you. After the tenth time you do get the message. Hey, there's a secret....
It then goes on to imply that all the most powerful and influencial people through history have 'shared' this secret, 'Da Vinci Code' style. About eight minutes into the footage we are treated to the rather anticlimatic revelation that the 'Secret' is , wait for it.....The Law of Attraction.

If we were on shaky ground before, things rapidly slide downhill scientifically. Quotes such as "all thoughts have a frequency" "We are all working with one power" "Thoughts become things" "This is a Universe that is based upon attraction" wow, the psuedo-scientific bollocks flows so fast you can hardly keep up...and all from such esteemed 'experts' as let's see..a 'philosopher', entrepeneur (no, its not Bill Gates, you won't have heard of him), Feng Shui practitioner (honestly), an author (no, its not JK Rowling, you won't have heard of this guy either), a 'visionary' and a 'therapist' to name a few.
From a 'metaphysicist', a doctor no less, we have the stunning theory that thoughts are magnetic. I kid you not. This guy actually says "Thoughts are sending out the magnetic signal that is drawing the parallel back to you." Wow. Be real careful next time you walk past the cutlery drawer.

"No-one really understands electricity" "You probably don't even know what electricity is". I can assure you I do understand it, right down to the atomic level where it all starts. Its basic stuff for any engineer. What planet is this guy on?

Hard scientific fact is completely ignored and absent. What we have in this program is a reasonable, sound, psychological process of focussing on positive aspects of life, and presenting it as a physical 'law' of the universe, right up there with Newton's Laws of motion, quantum mechanics and the Theory of Relativity. There is zero proof of this. Unless the science to back all this up is given in the remaining hour and fifteen minutes I couldn't bear to watch by the tame physicist they dug up to give scientific credence to all this rubbish. 'Dr Fred Alan Wolf'. Do a Google search and you'll find he's pretty way out in his scientific position.

As you probably guessed, programs like this really get to me. People watch them and blindly accept everything that is spoonfed to them without even an ounce of critical thinking. Makes me depressed.

Ripper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Muzzlehatch said:
Let's see. Well, about 7 minutes of footage telling you that, er, there's a 'Secret'. And telling you. And telling you. After the tenth time you do get the message. Hey, there's a secret....
It then goes on to imply that all the most powerful and influencial people through history have 'shared' this secret, 'Da Vinci Code' style. About eight minutes into the footage we are treated to the rather anticlimatic revelation that the 'Secret' is , wait for it.....The Law of Attraction.

If we were on shaky ground before, things rapidly slide downhill scientifically. Quotes such as "all thoughts have a frequency" "We are all working with one power" "Thoughts become things" "This is a Universe that is based upon attraction" wow, the psuedo-scientific bollocks flows so fast you can hardly keep up...and all from such esteemed 'experts' as let's see..a 'philosopher', entrepeneur (no, its not Bill Gates, you won't have heard of him), Feng Shui practitioner (honestly), an author (no, its not JK Rowling, you won't have heard of this guy either), a 'visionary' and a 'therapist' to name a few.
From a 'metaphysicist', a doctor no less, we have the stunning theory that thoughts are magnetic. I kid you not. This guy actually says "Thoughts are sending out the magnetic signal that is drawing the parallel back to you." Wow. Be real careful next time you walk past the cutlery drawer.

"No-one really understands electricity" "You probably don't even know what electricity is". I can assure you I do understand it, right down to the atomic level where it all starts. Its basic stuff for any engineer. What planet is this guy on?

Hard scientific fact is completely ignored and absent. What we have in this program is a reasonable, sound, psychological process of focussing on positive aspects of life, and presenting it as a physical 'law' of the universe, right up there with Newton's Laws of motion, quantum mechanics and the Theory of Relativity. There is zero proof of this. Unless the science to back all this up is given in the remaining hour and fifteen minutes I couldn't bear to watch by the tame physicist they dug up to give scientific credence to all this rubbish. 'Dr Fred Alan Wolf'. Do a Google search and you'll find he's pretty way out in his scientific position.

As you probably guessed, programs like this really get to me. People watch them and blindly accept everything that is spoonfed to them without even an ounce of critical thinking. Makes me depressed.
Spot on Muzzlehatch. There are so many idiots around the world who will accept this bull**** without any critical thinking. For the last time, THE DA VINCI CODE IS NOT REAL.

Cleric

Banned
Reaction score
This is in many respects the essence of the philosophy of many eastern mystics that is thousands of years old.

If you follow it right to the end it states that "god" is nothing separate from us. That we are "god" or the universe that is trying to express itself through us. Our minds work with the same power as the universe and anything we can conceive of we can achieve. All limitation is in our minds. There is no such thing as heaven or hell. No one is sitting on a white cloud with a purpose for us in mind who is going to judge us on our deathbed. Life is a great experiment and we are the ones who determine our own purpose and destiny.

For that reason great mystics have always been under attack by both organised religion and power hungry tyrants.

I suggest you guys watch this more than once because there are profound truths at the heart of it that need to be internalised and grasped intuitively.

All the best :)

Muzzlehatch

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi there,
First, thanks for the e-book link, it looks really interesting and well worth a good read, seriously.

However, once again I have to boringly apply that critical thinking I was on about, and find:
1) Just because something is old does not make it true.
2) How rich was the author of a book telling you how to get rich? Well, looking on the internet it seems that very little was known about his life. This alone makes any 'critical thinker' wonder just how rich he actually was. And bear in mind he makes it clear in his introduction he is talking about being rich in an extreme monetary sense, we aren't talking about just being comfortable here, we're into Rockafellar and Howard Hughes league. Yet nobody knows much about him? The best I can find is a relative saying "he made a lot of money later in his life." Sure he did, probably from selling his self-help book!

I don't want to get on your case too much Cleric, thanks a lot for sharing something that could be helpful, anyway.:up:

Cleric

Banned
Reaction score
Oh and I forgot James Allen's As a man thinketh. That one shouldn't need introduction though :)

pvf94

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thank's for the summary's, I just finished it myself. Interesting, yet so far fetched. There are some good point's, but even me or you have thought about it before. Example: You are talking to a buddy in class, thinking how great it would be to see a fight in the school cafeteria, because there never are any. 4 hours later, a fight break's out. Anybody ever have something like that happen? And no I dont like fights, that was just an example lol.

As much as I am trying to dissagree with this video, im going to have to experiment with it. Im always down for something new.....

squirrels

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A universe...where heartbreak and sadness have bee
The hype and drama is more to sell the movie. It's no "secret", really, it's a well-publicized fact. You hear it from day one...you're just trained over time to do exactly as you're doing, MuzzleHatch...disregard it as "inspirational rubbish".

You talk about "hard science" like it's gospel. Do you even know what kinds of discoveries they're making about "subatomic particles"? Do you still think of electrons as little marbles in "orbit" around something? Some things humans just have not developed a way to observe. Do you know the history of our perception of the atom? How many scientists studied it and how many different visualizations and theories of it were accepted before we came on the standardized impression of it we have today? If YOU knew quantum physics, you would know they're doing the SAME thing with quantum particles now...and what they're finding, if you were to actually follow it, would blow your mind. Want a slice?

http://quantumiscool1.ytmnd.com/
http://quantamiscool2.ytmnd.com/
http://yqpic3.ytmnd.com/
http://wqpic4.ytmnd.com/

For centuries, Newton's laws were accepted as immutable truth until Einstein developed his theory of relativity, which was later found to be true once we developed a way to observe it. How long has man been studying the human brain? Why do they STILL not "get" how it works? All they know is, "well, we believe this piece is responsible for memory, and this one has something to do with emotions"...why haven't they nailed it down yet?

I'm guessing you're still pretty young. Do some living first before you reject any assumption. The more I live, the more this Law of Attraction principle holds true.

The ideas about "magnetism" and quantum physics are more analogies than hard truth. For someone who talks about "critical thinking", maybe you should try it out. You point out that the physics is hazy, and you point out that most of the people on the video are NOT physicists, yet you fail to put two and two together and realize that these people are simply expressing what they know in the best way they know how to...with metaphors. You sound like one of those born-again Christian zealots who takes the Bible verbatim instead of using your brain to actually try to understand the message.

By the way, you want to know more about some of the people who spoke on "The Secret"? Here:

http://www.thesecret.tv/teachers.html

Are they no-namers? I don't think so. Do you want to compare their list of accomplishments with your own? I don't think so. The authors you declare as "no-name" have written best-selling books. Esther Hicks had a book that was near the top of the Amazon best-seller list just a couple weeks ago. I know because I looked. If you haven't heard of Jack Canfield's "Chicken Soup for the Soul", you need to watch less TV...you're not going to hear about these kinds of things there. TV isn't designed to help you grow as a person. It's there to keep you entertained and make you buy stuff.

If their achievements aren't significant enough, consider that Newton and Einstein also subscribed to the belief in the creative power of the human mind, as well as people like Martin Luther King, Ghandi, Mother Theresa...ever heard of any of them? How about Henry Ford? Dale Carnegie? Arguably the best businesspeople of American history.

If you look around, you'll see traces of it in your modern sports heroes as well. Michael Jordan, for example. He was one for visualization and for making your own destiny. You think it was all natural talent...Jordan spent ENDLESS hours practicing, trying to unite his vision with his reality. I'd say he succeeded.

You can sit around yammering about cold scientific fact out one side of your mouth, while out the other side of the mouth you talk to the Don Juan forum about imaginary concepts like "confidence", or "masculinity", or "charisma" like they're anything more than a result of how you think and feel about yourself.

Do you think things like "love" are real things?

It doesn't matter what I say. If you're not ready to hear the "secret", then you won't. You'll do exactly as you're doing. Sooner or later you WILL hear it. Hopefully while you're still young. And even when you can finally hear it, you might not be able to apply it right away. But when you're ready, you will.

If nothing else...let it fester in your head some. Next time you find yourself in a "hopeless" situation, or next time you achieve something great...think about what really happened. Then come back and talk as if you're an expert.

pvf94

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
squirrels said:
The hype and drama is more to sell the movie. It's no "secret", really, it's a well-publicized fact. You hear it from day one...you're just trained over time to do exactly as you're doing, MuzzleHatch...disregard it as "inspirational rubbish".

You talk about "hard science" like it's gospel. Do you even know what kinds of discoveries they're making about "subatomic particles"? Do you still think of electrons as little marbles in "orbit" around something? Some things humans just have not developed a way to observe. Do you know the history of our perception of the atom? How many scientists studied it and how many different visualizations and theories of it were accepted before we came on the standardized impression of it we have today? If YOU knew quantum physics, you would know they're doing the SAME thing with quantum particles now...and what they're finding, if you were to actually follow it, would blow your mind. Want a slice?

http://quantumiscool1.ytmnd.com/
http://quantamiscool2.ytmnd.com/
http://yqpic3.ytmnd.com/
http://wqpic4.ytmnd.com/

For centuries, Newton's laws were accepted as immutable truth until Einstein developed his theory of relativity, which was later found to be true once we developed a way to observe it. How long has man been studying the human brain? Why do they STILL not "get" how it works? All they know is, "well, we believe this piece is responsible for memory, and this one has something to do with emotions"...why haven't they nailed it down yet?

I'm guessing you're still pretty young. Do some living first before you reject any assumption. The more I live, the more this Law of Attraction principle holds true.

The ideas about "magnetism" and quantum physics are more analogies than hard truth. For someone who talks about "critical thinking", maybe you should try it out. You point out that the physics is hazy, and you point out that most of the people on the video are NOT physicists, yet you fail to put two and two together and realize that these people are simply expressing what they know in the best way they know how to...with metaphors. You sound like one of those born-again Christian zealots who takes the Bible verbatim instead of using your brain to actually try to understand the message.

By the way, you want to know more about some of the people who spoke on "The Secret"? Here:

http://www.thesecret.tv/teachers.html

Are they no-namers? I don't think so. Do you want to compare their list of accomplishments with your own? I don't think so. The authors you declare as "no-name" have written best-selling books. Esther Hicks had a book that was near the top of the Amazon best-seller list just a couple weeks ago. I know because I looked. If you haven't heard of Jack Canfield's "Chicken Soup for the Soul", you need to watch less TV...you're not going to hear about these kinds of things there. TV isn't designed to help you grow as a person. It's there to keep you entertained and make you buy stuff.

If their achievements aren't significant enough, consider that Newton and Einstein also subscribed to the belief in the creative power of the human mind, as well as people like Martin Luther King, Ghandi, Mother Theresa...ever heard of any of them? How about Henry Ford? Dale Carnegie? Arguably the best businesspeople of American history.

If you look around, you'll see traces of it in your modern sports heroes as well. Michael Jordan, for example. He was one for visualization and for making your own destiny. You think it was all natural talent...Jordan spent ENDLESS hours practicing, trying to unite his vision with his reality. I'd say he succeeded.

You can sit around yammering about cold scientific fact out one side of your mouth, while out the other side of the mouth you talk to the Don Juan forum about imaginary concepts like "confidence", or "masculinity", or "charisma" like they're anything more than a result of how you think and feel about yourself.

Do you think things like "love" are real things?

It doesn't matter what I say. If you're not ready to hear the "secret", then you won't. You'll do exactly as you're doing. Sooner or later you WILL hear it. Hopefully while you're still young. And even when you can finally hear it, you might not be able to apply it right away. But when you're ready, you will.

If nothing else...let it fester in your head some. Next time you find yourself in a "hopeless" situation, or next time you achieve something great...think about what really happened. Then come back and talk as if you're an expert.
Good post. :rock:

THE_ADDMAN

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Whether you believe the "secret" or not; Positive thinking, and believing that you live in a world of abundance, will lead to a much more enjoyable life.

Cleric

Banned
Reaction score
You know when Marconi run out of his basement shouting to his friends and family that he had invented a device that can send and recieve insivible messages through the air they tried to put him in a mental home. And if they had we wouldn't have had the radio. Or at least much later on.

Answer me this: Is it really that far fetched that the human mind might be generating frequencies similar to radio waves that we cannot detect yet?

Muzzlehatch

Don Juan
Reaction score
Wow, I hear you! Somebody's brain's in gear! Where to start!

In fact, sadly I'm not so young. And I have no problem whatsoever with the people using metaphors to express their ideas, but you must surely agree that none of this is being presented that way. I watched the links you gave on the double slit experiment, some of which I did know, some of which I didn't, but those links are of a totally different flavour to the program we're on about.

Yes, I'm aware of the history of our perception of the atom. I well remember being told about the 'marble model' of it at school, then in later life finding out that actually, seems its nothing like that. And yep, I know about Einstein and how his theories impacted on Newtons Laws.
But the problem with taking examples such as that from the historical advancement of science is that it gives open season for any wild and improbable idea to say 'Ah, well my idea is just as valid; after all, nobody believed Einstein, did they?' The perplexities of quantum mechanics are always paraded out every time someone believes he can seperate a yolk from the white of an egg with his 'mind power'.

If you watched it, and evaluated it, and reached conclusions from it, then fair play to you and we can disagree on those conclusions. But I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of the audience never even registered who the speakers actually were, much less did any looking into their credentials.

Yes, its being presented for entertainment, and in that case I guess my response was particularly barbed and 'zealoted'. And I really should have watched it all before commenting, I just couldn't face another hour of the same vein. Hey, its been a boring day! (I actually know just about zero about the Bible, either literally or metaphorically).

Well, I've been in one or two 'hopeless' situations, and achieved things I thought were great. Sometimes indeed by visualisation techniques, nothing wrong with that. But I've never seriously given credence to the idea that my thought power was directly influencing events outside my own mind. I don't believe, to use your analogy, that Micheal Jordan's thoughts are directly influencing the path of the ball once its left his hand. But it would be nice to be proved wrong.

45 years old and still not ready for 'The Secret'!

squirrels

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A universe...where heartbreak and sadness have bee
Wow...you're actually OLDER than me. My apologies...you just seem very jaded. (I know what that's like :p )

I'm not saying quantum physics "proves" any of this. All I'm saying is that people have been taking advantage of the creative power of their own minds since man has been around WITHOUT knowing how it works. The electricity analogy is valid because man started using electricity, i.e. Ben Franklin, Thomas Edison, etc, before they EVER knew what an electron was. In fact, early scientists thought electricity flowed from "+" to "-", when in fact the opposite was true. But it didn't stop them from using electricity to achieve their goals. It was there...they didn't know why, but it was there.

You could think of gravity the same way...we didn't understand why gravity worked until Einstein came along and proposed his theory of the curvature of space-time in multiple dimensions. Yet we knew it worked well enough to take advantage of it. People had an understanding of gravity even before that apple fell on Newton's head. :)

We still have only vague ideas about how the human brain works, Yet we obviously use that to our ends every day.

Is it so hard to believe that something that hundreds of people, many of them famous, can use something to their benefit without understanding it?

This is an interesting read, too...it's from a site that talks about end-world scenarios and it talks a little bit about string theory...the idea that particles aren't particles at all, but are actually just vibrations of multidimensional strings that manifest themselves in our universe:

http://www.exitmundi.nl/Dreamsend.htm

No one said MJ's thoughts were directing the ball after it left his hand. This isn't an argument for telekinesis. But think about this...his thoughts WERE directing his arms and hands and body through the motion that set that ball on its way. By visualizing the result he wanted and aligning his thoughts with it, he could align his body with the desired result and make it happen. This didn't happen instantly, either...it took a LOT of practice, a lot of missed shots, and a lot of learning for him to learn to make happen what he wanted to make happen.

It's not easy to accept that you're responsible for what happens to you. Everyone, to an extent, refuses to act or acts out of harmony with what they really want and finds themselves directed to something they don't want. At that time, it's always easier on the ego to accuse some outside force instead of taking responsibility and working from within. Obviously, before your cognitive faculties are formed, you are largely under the influence of the will of those over you, your parents, etc...they shape YOUR thought processes so naturally people tend to end up as "victims" of their circumstances.

At the same time, you've been told since Kindergarten that you can be anyone or anything you want to be, within reason, as long as you put your mind to it. And at the same time, you're fed a contrary signal through the behaviors and attitudes of the people around you, which imposes artificial limitations in your head.

Think of this site as a perfect example. How many people come here asking for advice on women? Then they get it, go out to try something, and when the moment of truth comes, they choke on their own thoughts. They say, "No, I can't. It's not me. It's not right. It's not going to work."

There's nothing stopping them from approaching and interacting with the woman except the thoughts in their own head. If you believe a barrier exists, you WILL run into it. It will hold you back like some giant web, pulling you away from what you desire. As soon as you refuse to acknowledge the existence of a limitation, though, you are free to act in a direction which will take you closer to that which you desire. It won't happen overnight...you WILL screw up, but you'll learn how the particular thought in your head that led to the imperfect outcome needs to be refined.