wardrobe update

drago

Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a lot of vintage clothes because I enjoy hanging out in swing dance clubs and I enjoy the old-time look. However, this is not the kind of look that attracts most of the upscale chicks. They seem to go for the preppy or yuppy look. I noticed that guys on soap operas sometimes have that type of upscale look. I'm not about to start wearing suits or anything of that sort, but I wouldn't mind wearing casual clothes that spell clean-cut and upwardly mobile. I read in a book called "What the hell do women really want?" that Banana Republic and Eddie Bauer are good places to shop for that kind of look. Also, if the same company owns the Gap, Old Navy, and Banana Republic, wouldn't all three stores have similar clothes or clothes of the same quality? Also, are there other stores where I can get these clothes? What about free catalogs? :confused:

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I read in a book called "What the hell do women really want?"
First mistake: Believing everything you read in a book. ;)

Banana Republic and Eddie Bauer are good places to shop for that kind of look.
I've never seen anyone our age wearing Eddie Bauer. Well, I take that back. When I was in boot camp for a year (at age 13), a few of the counsellors wore Eddie Bauer... and I had a lot of EB gear. Banana Republic is more "semi-formal", not to rag on them at all but they really are only good if you want to go to martini bars or gay clubs.

Also, if the same company owns the Gap, Old Navy, and Banana Republic, wouldn't all three stores have similar clothes or clothes of the same quality?
You'd think so, but consider Dell. You can buy a base-model computer for cheap, or you can buy a mid-range model, or you can get a top of the line. Same manufacturer, different quality.

Also, are there other stores where I can get these clothes?
I do hope that you're joking when you ask that.

What about free catalogs?
What about going to the mall this weekend and seeing what you like? :p

By the way, vintage clothes might have more value on eBay than they would if you either donated them or sold them to a place in your town. I'd highly recommend selling them on there to provide the funds for your new wardrobe.

On a side note, and completely unrelated to any of this, I recently went to our city's "Rotary Trash & Treasure Sale". Since my dad is a former president, we got in a day before the general public was allowed in... I found 9 pairs of Abercrombie & Fitch cargo shorts, a few North Face ski pants, and a virtually new suit. The A&F and North Face stuff wasn't my size, but since it only cost $1 each, I was able to list it on eBay that same day - a week later, every single pair of shorts I had listed had sold for $15-$30. Not sure why that popped in my head just now, but I thought it had something to do with something. Bleh.

spukee

Don Juan
Reaction score
Mm... are you really looking to change yourself and your appearance for some girls you likely aren't going to be happy spending time with? A good lay is great and all, but for every hour of sex you generally have to spend a lot more getting to know the girl you're hoping to bang. Besides, you enjoy swing-dance and the old time look - why give up something you enjoy?

'Sides, vintage clothing is cool - a lot of girls dig that. If you can look good in your threads, then there's no reason to change them.

drago

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the information, guys. I'll take your advice into account. By the way, I'm not going to sell my vintage clothes. I'm still going to wear them for swing dancing and other occasions.

Last edited:

WastelandWarrior

Don Juan
Reaction score
If you're looking for nice button down shirts, ties, slacks... go to goodwill.

Yep, goodwill.

I got 8 button down shirts - Kenneth Cole, Perry Ellis, Banana Republic, etc - for less than $30... and dude, the are NICE!

The most expensive one was $3.50

They're basically brand new.

I've showed them off and people swear I'm lying when I tell 'em where I got the shirts and the price.

Why pay full price for a name brand? because its on a retail shelf? Never will I make that mistake again.

TheInfamousCBear

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do they give you money for clothes at Goodwill?