Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Want Your Opinions/Mother Issues

Tenacity

Banned
Reaction score
So I posted in other threads that I made that I don't really have a close relationship with my immediate family for some reason. I'm not sure what the ultimate cause of it is, I don't know if it's me, them, a combination, or if it's just a coincidence.

I grew up in Flint and I left it around age 22 to move out on my own, be independent, etc. I was homeless for about 10 days during this process, but eventually I got into a hotel, finally got into my industry profession, and it's been nothing but UP ever since then.

When I moved out of Flint, it seemed like the communication level from them just dropped all of the way off. I would go back and visit them on holidays and make telephone calls, but it's like speaking to a stranger almost.

When I speak with my Mother, she doesn't ask any questions about where I stay (she has never asked this, ever) instead she spends time on the telephone just saying how my sisters aren't shyt or aren't really doing much with their lives. In spite of this, my Mother has and still does spend a considerable amount of money bailing the out of various decisions, allowing them to borrow money, etc.

I don't ask them for anything, matter of fact, I have surpassed my Mother in terms of finances (and she's twice my age) and they never really got to the point of living in a Suburb area like I'm staying at currently. I also bought my first new car at 26, my Mother didn't get a newer car until she was in her mid-40's.

My Father was never there, he paid his child support but that was it. I also got established faster than he did, he didn't get established until he was nearly in his mid 30's. Mind you him and my Mother both worked in GM during the BOOM period, and I got established faster than they did in today's age of high student loan debt and a very twisted economy.

You would THINK these people would be proud of me and acknowledge it? But they don't. When I call my Mother to ask why, she just literally SNAPS and goes off, then hangs the telephone up. I call back about 3 or 5 times, and she DOES NOT pick up the phone.

So I never hear from this woman, when I try to ask her questions she slams the phone down and doesn't callback. I paid my way through college, came up from homelessness to the middle class, and there's no acknowledgement of it. But yet, my sisters are still using welfare programs and my Mother STILL bails them out by allowing them to borrow money, etc.

So this year, I didn't call to Flint for Mother's Day. I didn't call my Mother nor go see her. Do you guys think I'm wrong for this? On one hand, I feel like I could try to do X, Y, or Z to make amends, but then on the other hand, I feel totally PISSED OFF because WTF is up with these people? I'm literally alone in the world, and when I call and ask just why we don't have a close relationship I get hung up on? And this has occurred like 5 times, everytime, she just SLAMS the phone down.

sodbuster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You have to just cut the toxic people out of your life..... and it happens to be your MOTHER. With me, it's DAD. I visit just enough to talk to mom.... she's not a saint, but she's close.... IF she dies first, Not sure how much I will visit the home

Tenacity

Banned
Reaction score
Sod,

I want to do that, but I feel bad because I keep thinking, well, she was there for me as a child and teenager. I mean I could have went hungry and didn't have any of the birthday parties/christmas' that I had. And that's the only reason that I feel bad for just washing my hands and saying fvck it.

I'm just torn with this issue. Don't know what to do.

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Would you be able to just call her on the normal days (birthdays, etc) and just keep it light?

(That's what I've kinda been doing for a decade or so...)

I'm sure if she wanted to talk to you about emotional stuff, she'd bring it up?

No reason to cut her out, but no reason to push any heavy emotional stuff on her. Call whenever, chit chat about current events, etc (that's what I do).

I think for many folks, at some point parents move out of the "needed person in our lives" to the "another thing on our to-do" list that will always need attention.

Tenacity

Banned
Reaction score
Taiyuu,

Well, I was calling and doing the chit chat stuff since I've been gone. Just recently I started to ask some of the serious questions because it's just that they are in their late 60's so I didn't want them to die without my questions being answered.

But I don't think they will ever answer the questions. Which again, pisses me off and makes me not even want to do the chit chat stuff anymore, it makes me say fvck them.

And the thing is, why not just say you don't want to talk about it? Why not just say drop it? Why just SNAP and go off, then slam the phone down? And they don't CALL BACK until I call them back. So isn't that like saying, "Tenacity, fvck off, I can care less about you?"

Man it's just that it's me v.s. the world, I never hear from these people. Yet my sisters can go over there and borrow money or get bailed out or whatever. The shyt makes no sense.

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dear Tenacity,
Cutting back on contact with your Mum seems very logical at 31 years of age,considering her disrespectful behaviour...But at 62 years old with your own Children it's a different ball game...believe me you will regret the little it costs to maintain desultory contact...just a Card and bunch of Flowers on Mothers Day,maybe a card and try to turn up for Christmas Dinner...Not a big deal...Believe me I regret similar decisions now as links with the past become more important and increasingly elusive...We need our past,it is a bollard we anchor our self identity around...A card right now with an excuse for missing Mothers Day...Costs S.F.A. but you will never regret it...In life,slide away from barren obligations,but ALWAYS KEEP YOUR OPTIONS OPEN!

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Maybe they resent you for your success? Maybe it makes them wonder why they aren't as successful?

I do know a lot of mothers who get caught up in the drama of their daughters lives. Much moreso than with their sons. I think it's because they can relate or live vicariously through them.

Rival

Don Juan
Reaction score
Tenacity, based off your information. There is a few possibilities. First off, I want to tell you that you do have a lot to be proud for. You worked hard and rose to the challenge. No one can ever take that from you.

After trying to decide what the issues are, they all simply point back to your mother, it's has nothing to do with you. She could be jealous in some way. Or she could simply think you don't need her approval so to speak. We know women love drama, that's why she always enjoys talking about your sisters. Your life, in her eyes, might seem boring to talk about -- since you're far away and have everything together.

I'd be curious what she would say if you called her and said something like

"mom, i don't know if I've ever told you but I truly appreciate everything you've done for me, you have been a great mother and i respect you above anyone else. I know my sisters are a handful but they would be lost without you. Thanks for being there for us."

Her response to that might give you great insight in to some of your questions.

ZTIME

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Read a ton of your posts and seen a lot as it pertains to your childhood and your Mother. It makes me look at my own situation with my mother (as our situations are similar). I've meditated on this and these are my findings. I hope they help:

As it pertains to myself, No matter how successful I'd become or however many hurdles I'd overcome, I always felt like I had no family on my side rooting me on. I felt alone and empty and unable to enjoy my own success because I needed someone to care and validate my achievements. Although my mother didn't really raise me and did try to kill me (literally), I still recognized her as my "birth mother" which kind of inadvertently put her on a pedestal. In my own mind I created more value in her then what she was worth, and since there was now value, I craved her validation.

Quite frankly brother, it took me a long time to recognize this as unhealthy behavior. All things in life, and every person you encounter will have different levels of value to you. Once you understand this you'll be able to assess each situation and person with clarity.

You recognize your own success which is remarkable. Most guys being put into your situation with nowhere to turn end up failing and you didn't. You should be a proud man for what you've done, but don't let your success and personal achievements loose their shine because you have not received the validation you seek from someone who may never offer it.

Somewhere inside of yourself you may find that there are a few happy childhood memories of your mother and sisters. Quite frankly, if there weren't, this wouldn't be such a tough hurdle for you to overcome.

Try to deeply reflect on where you are in life right now. Be thankful that you're in a great position in life, and that you've done it on your own. Now take that Tenacity and start to re assess the value of the people in your life.

Heck you might find out that a simple "mother's day" call is just that, because you have no predetermined value attached to it. It was you putting good into the world, not trying to receive anything from anyone.

Some day that light bulb is going to turn on and you'll be in a brighter place for it. And the best by-product will be that it's easier to let go of the anger and rage. Holding on to those to emotions can ruin you from the inside.

Good luck brother. This very problem has taken a lot of my time in life. I hope it won't for yours.

Alvafe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
well my take? let it go, no much else you can do. whatever is they problems is it not with you its then.

also not sure if is your case but I know people who only did take care of they kids not because they wanted the best for then (they could do anyway) or becasue they even wanted or liked then, they jsut did it because it would look bad to then in they friend circles/family/church or whatever circle they are in, about you gulty of then be there for you all thet time, just think they really was there for you or just doing they parent job?

I do well with my parents but I put a single rule for then since tehy would tell to everyone whatever I did, I never tell then what I do in my personal life, most questions I just smile and say anything or jsut a short yes or no, nothing else, folish banter with have nothing to do with me I talk more but nothing personal. one side note though did you ever saw you grandparents frequently? could also be something she expected after you leave the nest never look back.

Tenacity

Banned
Reaction score
Guys thanks for all of the responses. Yes, right now I've just been doing a No Contact. I guess with my life I'm always trying to fix everything, however, I'm starting to come to terms that some things are just FVCKED UP and won't be fixed. So either I can sit around allowing the shyt to depress me, or I can find what makes me happy and keep embracing that.

This family situation shyt is one of those things that won't change. Don't get me wrong, I don't sit around depressed over it all the time, I usually don't get depressed until I actually THINK about the situation.

But I have a lot of things that keep me busy, from my work, to workouts, to studying, to research, to going out/getting pvssy.

I'm going to keep moving forward here, there's a reason my Username is Tenacity. It's my favorite word because it sums of the bulk of life which is to keep going DESPITE being hurt, injured, set back, etc. You keep moving forward to the next day, next month, next quarter, next year, next decade.

evan12

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
OP: they know you are successful guy , but "Validation" is power and parents know that , she trained you when you were a kid to seek her validation and she know you still looking for her validation , so she is holding it on you to keep her power on you .
If you want to get her validation then you need to attack her so she will give you the validation you are seeking in-order to pet you (push her to submission mode ) for example:
Mom why you and my sisters are such a losers , when you are gonna buy home in some good area , do you have problem with saving ?
if she feel you are serious she will then start petting you to stop your attack that she cant defend her self in .
remember when I say attack only meaning these social mind games we play t o up and down people not a physical attack .

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just like you, I don't have a good relationship with my mother.

Tenacity said:
So this year, I didn't call to Flint for Mother's Day. I didn't call my Mother nor go see her. Do you guys think I'm wrong for this? On one hand, I feel like I could try to do X, Y, or Z to make amends, but then on the other hand, I feel totally PISSED OFF because WTF is up with these people? I'm literally alone in the world, and when I call and ask just why we don't have a close relationship I get hung up on? And this has occurred like 5 times, everytime, she just SLAMS the phone down.
My mother doesn't want me to celebrate mother's day, so I don't. I've never bought her anything. She doesn't deserve it anyway.

You need to quit looking to her for validation. You will never live up to whatever she expects of you (if anything). It's pointless to pursue approval from her. What will you do when she's dead? She won't be around to give you approval then either.

Treat her as if she's dead. Get your validation from the goals you achieve.

Cloudtopsun2100

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You should expect nothing from your mom and you don't need to ask her to ask questions about you. Make occasional calls, keep it light and know that you are a good son who shows he cares. Validation comes from yourself, don't expect it from anyone. But, everyone should have a family and you should do whats necessary to stay in touch without being dragged down.

You don't need to get mad about what she says. I'd do this to maintain contact as you only have one mom and she is getting up there in age. Think about 15 years from now, would even get to talk to her at all anymore? Never know, and of course we always hope our parents can live till 100.

Vidar

Don Juan
Reaction score
OP: Same here. My brothers and I all have a none existent relationship to our mom. It's sad, but it's the healthiest decision we've all made. Growing up, she was normal...even tho we all knew she had issuess. It wasn't until my father passed away that my brothers and I realized ( in our opinion) she had bpd. It makes it hard because she can be the sweetest, nicest, most caring and supportive person you know. But at the drop of a dime, she will let loose and uncontrollable viciousness. The most nasty and cruel things I've ever heard a human being say, have slipped from her mouth. And worst of all, she doesn't ackknowledge that side of her personality one bit. She's always the victim and were either a saint or the devil, depending on the week.

I didn't say happy Mother's Day to her this year. And it makes me sad, but it's the only heathy way to act.

Do what you need to do to be healthy. Yours comes first.

[S]alvatore

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm curious how many members on the forum have/had mother issues. Strong correlation for seeking out this forum?

glass half full

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think Zekko was right. And lots of others have good points too.
My situation, combined with what I'm seeing here is in my opinion a generational thing. But they have personal issues that fk them up just like we do.

Mine were good providers, but not close to me. Dad did his hobbies, alone. Mom worked in the house, cooking and stuff, alone.

I was an only child. Got ostracized badly at school by friends and teachers for this. They thought I "had it made". But I was alone, without guidance.
Nobody to talk to about dating, dealing with life issues, etc.

Mom was the boss at home. The "strong" one. And Soooo f'n Proud!
I wasn't as "strong" as her mentally in her opinion. At 14 she said "I wish you were more like me". Yeah...

With all I've been through in life, she still doesn't respect me totally in life. I will never quite be "good enough".
Every time I got in a fix with the law, women or friends, it was "why don't you quit your silliness and get back home where you belong". No matter what my age...

Alvafe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
[S]alvatore said:
I'm curious how many members on the forum have/had mother issues. Strong correlation for seeking out this forum?
you tell us, what mother issues you have?

everyone have some issues with they family, the diference is just some care more about it then others, i'm on the take family members shouldn't be considered specials and let they go do things to you, you wouldn't let anyone else do to you,

not everyone is only mom dad and a kid, some family are like mom dad, grandparents, auntys, uncles, cousins and so on

LiveFreeX

Banned
Reaction score
Tenacity go get married, have 10 kids and make your own family buddy. Come father's day you can throw a party. You can't change where you come from but you can change where you are going.

Philippines girls.. Vietnam... just Asian in general are into family but Philippines for black guys for sure.

I don't really have parent problems like that but I know one of my friends absolutely does. His parents are both DOCTORS and they shunned him because he pursued a degree in history.. or something along those lines, so he went out and made a kid who he absolutely adores... he can't put the kid down and holds on to him like there is a tornado coming... he's a highly needy dude though, rivals my wife for first place (also family abandonment issues). His son is his entire life, he works 4 jobs to put his son through a private school here, I don't think that kid will ever understand how much his father loves in...and needs him.

My father grew up without a father around and his mother was never at home... come to think of it, my dad mirrors a lot of traits that my friend does. You know... now that I think about it, seems like I can't think of one family I know of that hasn't had problems. The ones that are squeeky clean... well those are the ones that make me suspicious. Regardless, don't forgo creating your own family, its one of the most important things you will ever do. Accumulating money, *****es and career is secondary to a DNA line. Those of you opting out completely... I am dissapoint.