Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Wall Street bonuses make me sick.....

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Mahon, can you clarify your original point? I only understood that you hate stockbrokers (and other finance workers), because they get a high salary. But how did you come up with the idea that finance workers do not contribute to society? Can you prove that they don't?

mahon83050

Banned
Reaction score
diplomatic_lies said:
Mahon, can you clarify your original point? I only understood that you hate stockbrokers (and other finance workers), because they get a high salary. But how did you come up with the idea that finance workers do not contribute to society? Can you prove that they don't?

They feed the capitalist machine!

I used to work in finance believe it or not.

The more I think about it, I do not envy them. I don't know how they actually get personal satisfaction out of their jobs....but that is just me.

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mahon83050 said:
They feed the capitalist machine!
You don't happen to be a liberal arts student, are you?

I don't know how they actually get personal satisfaction out of their jobs....but that is just me.
I'd be pretty satisfied if I got $500K a year. Call me selfish all you like, but you're no Mother Theresa.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
diplomatic_lies said:
You don't happen to be a liberal arts student, are you?

I'd be pretty satisfied if I got $500K a year. Call me selfish all you like, but you're no Mother Theresa.
Come on, we don't know that. What if he did get paid $500k a year for his job? He could choose to donate it all to charity. :rock:

Marcopolo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Really, you would eh? What if someone told you that they would pay you $500,000 a year to stand on a table every workday for the rest of your working years? Would you enjoy that? Would it be satisfying and for how long? Just standing there doing absolutely nothing but staring at the wall all day?

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Marcopolo said:
Really, you would eh? What if someone told you that they would pay you $500,000 a year to stand on a table every workday for the rest of your working years? Would you enjoy that? Would it be satisfying and for how long? Just standing there doing absolutely nothing but staring at the wall all day?
I would gladly stand on a table every day for 8 hours without complaining. It will be very satisfying, because each time the second-hand goes through a revolution, I will have another $4 in the bank.

Marcopolo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
you think so huh? I think you would tire of it eventually. How about this- would you rather work doing something you love, your life's passion, for $5,000 per month, or do something you really feel is a waste of your life for $15,000 a month? The kind of job where you can hardly wait for the weekend and get a feeling of dread on sunday night that you have to go back to work the next day, and that the weekend passed by too quickly?

dietzcoi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is not a good example, the people who earn the high salaries also ENJOY what they do, they don't just stare at the wall.

They get paid way too much for what they do, but they do enjoy it and get excitement out of it. Most are workaholics.

Dietzcoi

dirtyvibe

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
dietzcoi said:
This is not a good example, the people who earn the high salaries also ENJOY what they do, they don't just stare at the wall.

They get paid way too much for what they do, but they do enjoy it and get excitement out of it. Most are workaholics.

Dietzcoi
.... then why do people give them that money? people dont just blindly give away money.. if they really weren't worth that, someone else would do better in the business by being able to charge lower prices from cheaper labour, but obviously no one can because they actually are worth that much money.

the amount of money you get is determined by how productive you are, not how "morally superior" your job is.

a cop, fireman, teacher, etc. sound good on paper but they really don't accomplish as much in an average day as an investment banker.

if you really valued beauty, you would wonder why a hairdresser doesn't get a lot of money. the hairdresser really doesn't do much in an average day.

funny though, a society without investment bankers, like lets say mexico, lacks the people with that kind of productivity and so has less money. then they dont have enough money to pay the police, and the police thus become corrupt to feed their families, and become more of like a state-sponsored gang. so yeah, they are worth that money.

howardalex

Banned
Reaction score
mahon83050 said:
Did you happen to see the bonuses people get who work on Wall St. I think it was 23.9 billion dollars or something and the average person got $140,000 or something.

This is disgusting. I used to work in finance, but left it because there is no personal satisfaction.

What good do these people who work on Wall St. do for humanity? Absolutely nothing. All they do is help big companies get richer and rich a-holes get richer.

What about the real heroes who should actually get lucrative bonuses. The Doctors, Fireman, Cops, Educators, EMT's, Social Workers etc.

People who work on Wall St. actually make 4X as much as others who work in NYC....very, very sad.
I'm a broker in training, which makes this very funny to read...saddest thing is you believe it!

brokers/investment bankers are well remunerated because that's what they deserve, it's a capitalist economy and better qualified people with more brainpower who are prepared to work longer hours and deal with more responsibility are always going to be better paid...

howardalex

Banned
Reaction score
dirtyvibe said:
a cop, fireman, teacher, etc. sound good on paper but they really don't accomplish as much in an average day as an investment banker.
it's more how easily replaceable they are - a broker will always be harder to replace than a fireman so there's more demand and less supply, I'm sure you can see why this is just a fact of capitalism...

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Marcopolo said:
How about this- would you rather work doing something you love, your life's passion, for $5,000 per month, or do something you really feel is a waste of your life for $15,000 a month?
That's a bit of a misconception. Having worked at my "life's passion" ever since I graduated college, I can say with certainty that ALL jobs involve a lot of pain, boredom, and suffering in general.

A lot of people think that jobs like being a cop, firefighter, writer, actor, or ninja assassin are easy and fun. I used to think the same. Unfortunately, nobody is going to pay you to have fun. Even the most "fun" jobs involve a lot of hard work that isn't fun at all.

djbr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
squirrels said:
People love to cry about what's "deserved" and what's "owed" by life. Life doesn't owe anyone sh!t.
Amazing quote.

Mandiblard

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
police, firemen, etc. get paid **** because their work is ****. putting out a fire, locking up a criminal is nice, but it isn't very productive.
You have GOT to be joking. PLEASE tell me you are kidding. Do you want everything to burn down? Do you want messed up people to be free to kill as many people as they want? To kill YOU?

One good thing about no insane money bonuses for people like cops and doctors is that it stops idiots who only care about money applying for those jobs.

siph

Don Juan
Reaction score
hahaha dude your views are pretty simple
people make money because the work they do is more profitable
helping poor children pays little because poor children dont have money

i guess you could say that you either get paid in smiles or dollars... we all make choices

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Deus ex Pianoforte said:
Dude, police officers have one of the highest paying jobs that you can have without a college degree. And doctors? Don't make me laugh. A high-quality neurosurgeon can make 600 grand a year, easy. That's six hundred thousand dollars. $600,000.
Police officers don't make much unless they are high up on the leadership ladder. Beat cops make little to nothing. It's actually bad for federal agents too, at least the ones coming out of the academy. A few years ago I was going to work for the CIA (long story), but the salary after training was only in the low 40's! I was making almost that much when I was an undergrad.

As for surgeons, deduct from that the cost of their education (a few hundred thousand) and don't forget the high cost of malpractice insurance. Plus, who's to say how long a surgeon needs to work to merit that salary. It's not always that cut and dry to make a mint right off the block.

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Francisco d'Anconia said:
Police officers don't make much unless they are high up on the leadership ladder. Beat cops make little to nothing. It's actually bad for federal agents too, at least the ones coming out of the academy. A few years ago I was going to work for the CIA (long story), but the salary after training was only in the low 40's! I was making almost that much when I was an undergrad.

As for surgeons, deduct from that the cost of their education (a few hundred thousand) and don't forget the high cost of malpractice insurance. Plus, who's to say how long a surgeon needs to work to merit that salary. It's not always that cut and dry to make a mint right off the block.
You are 100% right.

Celadus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Edit. Just read the post above and its almost the same as mine.

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Human nature won't allow a society where everyone is equal. The only thing that really works is capitalism. Get used to the fact that some people will make more money for doing something you personally might consider to be worthless.

Point is, unless you steal from people you earn your market value. And don't hate on others, For those of us who can see underneath the cover of your "stick it to the man" liberal attitude it makes you sound like a whiny crybaby.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sure, it's nothing compared to say...a lawyer.

fwiw, and no I'm not whining, my friends and I with mediocre grades from a mediocre school are looking at $40K jobs upon graduation from law school, and there are competition even for those jobs. afoaf is working an unpaid summer internship in a city several hours away, paying his own expenses, so that he can get one of those crappy jobs. Cops in the city make more than lawyers in rural areas, capitalism at work, supply and demand.