Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Video Games. WTF.

thegator39

Don Juan
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks video games are an extreme waste of time?

I have a cousin that goes to a college full of HBs, and on his facebook updates every hour he's just bragging to his AFC friends how he just beat some game or bought some game, or asks his friends which game he should re-play.

It seems to me that anything, literally anything, would be more productive. Even watching a movie, you're getting entertained while possibly learning something or at the worst bonding with the people you're watching it with.

saab1981

Don Juan
Reaction score
I would agree with that too. I literally wasted years between the ages of 16-22 on video games, and didn't even TOUCH a woman. Most Friday nights, Saturday nights, spent in front of the PC or Nintendo 64!

I would sometimes cry myself to sleep, wondering why I was still a virgin! Unbelievable.

Once I stopped all that sh1t and got out there, meeting women via work, nights out, activities, was when I started to get the action!

thegator39

Don Juan
Reaction score
Mantis...no, just like the forum.

Saab...at least N64 was good. Mario 64 was nasty. Nowadays things just look life-like and it's like, why not just get a life and experience things for yourself?

Kailex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nothing is a waste of time if done in moderation.

Video games relax me on any given day, but I don't play them endlessly. I've been at the WoW spectrum of things and it wasn't pretty. I have a 360 but I use it maybe twice a week. I'd rather sit down and play NBA 2K11 for one hour than watch trash on the television. Sometimes I'll read, sometimes I'll spend that extra hour in the gym or looking for sales on food items, but I never dedicate too much on ONE thing unless it has a clear cut benefit for me.

If video games are played with excess... then you can WTF.

thegator39

Don Juan
Reaction score
That's mainly what I was referring to Kailex. I was at a family party and the cousin I was talking about and his brother were playing that guitar hero game and beating it...I tried playing it and found it impossible, and I told them, it would literally be easier to learn how to play guitar.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
thegator39 said:
Am I the only one who thinks video games are an extreme waste of time?
Most are. That's why I'm very specific with what games I like to play.

Driving simulators. Good fps/rpg like half life, bioshock, mass effect etc. If it tells a good story or it has a nice atmosphere I'll play it.

Sometimes, if it's super difficult and requires lots of strategy like sim city or other RTS games. Only problem is, there's little payoff for learning this complicated system just to beat an RTS game most of the time.

Julius_Seizeher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It really does depend on your age.

When I was in college, Halo was the big obsession. We even drilled a hole through the wall into our neighbors place so we could link up anytime!

After college, it started to feel like I had outgrown it, especially when I would get on Xbox Live and all my teammates were 14 years old.

But yes, for a man of ambition who wills to achieve great things, video games are a juvenile distraction.

JCballin88

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to spend a lot of time playing video games...especially back in high school when online PC gaming was getting big.

Now I'm in college and I'll occasionally bust out the Gamecube or 360. It's a nice way to really relax and "escape" for a little while if I have some extra time after higher priorities are taken care of.

Exhumed

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to play games for 8 hours a day as a kid, now I play maybe 4 hours in a week. They're still fun, just not as captivating as they used to be. For me the only game I play often with my friends and have since I bought it is Super Smash Brothers Brawl.

Oh and to thegator and real2, the newest Rock Band lets you use real instruments (real in a sense; it uses a specially outfitted Squier Stratocaster that doesn't come out until February, and obviously you need electronic drums). As someone who plays both keyboard and guitar, it gets my approval.

Warrior74

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A friend of mine I grew up with is in the infantry, they play a lot of video games in their down time. His commanding officer told him, as long as you still want to play video games all afternoon, never get married. It's nothing more a woman hates than a man ignoring her for a video game. Especially if you are over 30. I have video game addicted friends and they wonder why they are still single at 35. Go for a walk, go to a city council or small business mixer, go to teh catalina wine mixer, do something dammit.

My roommate does nothing every weekend but plays call of duty and watches football. Goes to bed at 11pm after a long day of being stuck on the sofa, and he wonders why he doesn't have a girlfriend.

maqnetik

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
real2 said:
Must be a personality thing.

Achievers & ambitious individuals quickly realize the importance of time.

Time = money.

My hedge fund in development (which generates during a bull or bear market), is a clear example of that.

No video games for me, thank you!
theres also a difference between COST and WORTH.

:yes:

IOS

Don Juan
Reaction score
thegator39 said:
Even watching a movie, you're getting entertained while possibly learning something or at the worst bonding with the people you're watching it with.
Replace watching with playing, and you've just described video games exactly.

Yes video games are a waste of time, but many things are a waste of time. If you play video games all the time, then sure thats pretty sad. But there is absolutely no problem with playing video games once in awhile to relax.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
IOS said:
Replace watching with playing, and you've just described video games exactly.
Good point. Video games are simply another form of media consumption. TV, books, games, music, etc. Different means of consuming entertainment. At least games are more interactive as they require thought, like a book almost.

Unfortunately, people take these passive activities too far. And we have 35 year old guys who do nothing and complain about being single. It's not the game that's the problem. The game could easily be a book or a movie instead.

j0n24

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Alle_Gory said:
Most are. That's why I'm very specific with what games I like to play.

. Good fps/rpg mass effect If it tells a good story or it has a nice atmosphere I'll play it.
I LOVE Mass Effect basically the only game I play, its alot easier to sleep with Ashley then any girl I've hit on in real life hahahahah.

Other then that I play Halo...but thats for competition and I only play at night since thats how I'm use to playing.

Video games are not that bad if you get to go to lan parties and get togethers with friends or other people. I've been to some halo lan parties as well as some tourneys and girls do go although LOTS of afcs are all over them.

I remember hitting on some girl that was a so called "Pro," At Guitar hero and said that it must be easy go pro where you just tap buttons....she got mad and started yelling at me. Needless to say I was the only one that made fun of her and noticed her hanging around me while I played in my bracket.....in the end she slept in my hotel room.

But back on topic...if your playing more then 5hrs then that might be a little extreme if your not in a competitive nature. I only play for 2-3 and thats at the end of the day.

P

perseverance

In last year I spent nearly two months online on Call of Duty MW2, and because of that I have decided not to buy Black Ops. That's nearly two months of my life wasted on a video game, when I could have been hitting the gym, improving myself etc, never again!

SandHawk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted" -- John Lennon

It all depends how much time you spend on it. I regularly play a game of Left4Dead or Overlord to bring my mind to rest. Nothing wrong with that. Just don't spend your entire day doing it. I love going for a game of l4d when I home from climbing and my entire body is still rushing from adrenaline.

hexx

Don Juan
Reaction score
How about those Hentai Dating Sims? Waste time/knock off to cartoons/dirty keyboard all in one easy step.

Gray The Prince

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lol, as long as it's done in moderation, there's no problem with it whatsoever. Like many have said before, don't blame the video game for wasting time, blame yourself for not having any control. In other words, don't blame the games for wasting your time, blame your AFC behavior and lack of control.