Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Video games, false reality, and the DJ

DonutMan

Don Juan
Reaction score
Just sold the PS2 and guitar heros. Didnt take me long to realize that its not cool to play fake guitars, and although its fun, its a pretty big waste of time. I would much rather be at the gym working out or playing basketball...Or at home whackin it to pictures of a PS3... lol

Ace of Flames

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Everywhere you want to be.... I'm like a Visa card
Since when are fun things BAD? I don't understand people's logic.

Drinking with friends is technically a waste of time. You aren't learning anything, you aren't gaining anything, and it could get potentially dangerous, either drinking too much, or being at a club and bumping into the wrong guy, or driving drunk and crashing, etc. But its fun, right?

Watching movies are technically wastes of time. You aren't learning anything unless its a documentary or something, and you aren't gaining anything. But its fun, right?

Hell, even SEX is technically a waste of time, at least if you aren't trying to conceive a child. You aren't learning anything (except more about sex), you aren't gaining anything (except an orgasm), and if you aren't careful, you might get STD's or something. But its HELLA fun, right?

Since when do fun things have to be considered wastes of time? We are given life to ENJOY it, not to slave away our days doing the most effective thing at every single moment. Do you propose we become robots?

To me, if I'm not enjoying what I'm doing, or if the task I'm doing won't pay off into something I can enjoy later, THEN I'm wasting my time. Things like, staying in a relationship that's going nowhere, or working for one amount here when I can work over there for more.

Just because something may not be productive doesn't mean its not useful. People NEED to have fun, to be entertained, to take breaks, or else they'll go crazy. Stress is a killer, and you gotta find a way to let it out. To put it simply:

Just stop and smell the roses once in a while.

feelingloved

Don Juan
Reaction score
Friend of mine told how he used games with girls. Have her play a racing game while you are doing her. When she fvcks up, she loses her turn; you play while she messes with you. Switching turns, builds incredible arousal through frustration I think.
LOL I might have to go buy a console now.

LionOne

Don Juan
Reaction score
It is the addiction that ruins people's lives. It doesn't hurt to play a game once in a while. It is hard for the addics to stop playing once they start. I recommend that they give up playing altogether (see my previous post in this topic) since gaming doesn't do much good for you anyway. You can spend that time much wiser. How come?

I want to define two things first:

I. VALUE: Value can be divided as:

-Social value: You know other people, you know where the parties are. You are good looking (dress well, groom well) with good body language and other girls are secretly jealous of her having you. You are smooth and can connect easily with other people. People want to do favours for you. You are often the life of the party. She wants to show you to her family. You have your own life and passions. These all result in that your VIBE feels exeptionally good. Around 15% of your total value.

-Monetary value: You go to work and bring money for her. Or you may have rich parents. Around 15% of your total value.

-Sexual value: You are strong, muscular and keep her sexually satisfied. You last long in bed and you know many techniques. You are a real love-machine. You dominate her mentally and physically. She learns what is to have multiorgasms. This is the most important form of value (in seduction). It's around 70% of total value.

More on: http://lionvibes.wikidot.com/value

II. WASTE OF TIME: Since it is very hard to agree what is a waste of time and what is not I use my previous definition to lay it down simply: Waste of time is an activity having very little or none of any of the above values.

ACE OF FLAMES: learning something new is not the only form of value, pretty far from it. Having sex is fun but you must have a someone to have sex with first. And that's why people get here and learn stuff for, right? To have some sex you must have some value in you first. To play video games all you need a mommy who buys you a PS2 and gives you some food few times per day. FUN and VALUABLE are different things: things can be fun and valuable at the same time.

Let's have a look at the different activities from this point of view:

VIDEO GAMES
Value: Personal stress relief
Fun: Plenty

Generally it is true that girls see guys who play much video games as weird types. They assume that they are antisocial since it is widely considered antisocial to play games. Even talking about games is not a cool topic (talk to a girl about video game and see how much she is interested, she will probably avoid you after this). Video games are here defended by reliefing the stress. Sex does also relief the stress. Guess which one I prefer? I have played much video games in my life and I consider that I have WASTED that time.

WATCHING TV
Value: Social value since you can watch together with your gf and thus keep rapport on. You can also talk about some show with your friends and build/keep rapport with them.
Fun: Depends on the show, usually holds the interest

PLAYING SPORTS
Value: Social, you will connect with other guys. Sexual, you keep yourself healthy and have a good body.
Fun: Very much

DRINKING BEER WITH OTHER GUYS
Value: Social value, you socialize with your friends, plan things that you want to do together next and generally keep up the good rapport.
Fun: Much

STUDYING A NEW LANGUAGE
Value: Social, you can connect with people that are also interested in learning that language, you can get some girl to teach you that language (for example I did this and it's good), you can connect with people that speak that language, etc.
Fun: Sometimes

LEARNING ANY NEW SKILL
Value: Social + potentially monetary
Fun: Usually some

Almost anything that you do has some value. It is about your personal choises what you want to do and where you want to focus. Do you need more of some form of value? If you need more social value then stop playing video games and learn *The Game* and go out, start hobbies etc. If you need more sexual value then start going to the gym. For monetary value educate your self and get a job. Have some fun while you are doing these :)

Ace of Flames

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Everywhere you want to be.... I'm like a Visa card
Maybe its just me, but the way I see it, things that are fun ARE valuable. Its not a one-or-the-other kind of thing. I want to enjoy my life as much as possible, and video games bring me plenty of joy. You can't always be having sex or drinking, so why not play some games inbetween? Some people get their fun from sports, some from getting plastered, some from TV, some from learning new things. I get mine from video games. Why does it have to be looked down on?

Also, the idea of gamers being antisocial is a very outdated stereotype. Nowadays, games bring people TOGETHER more than single them out. Multiplayer games are extremely popular, and with online features becoming more and more integrated into every facet of gaming, its hard to NOT come into contact with other people while playing games. The Wii is a console based almost entirely upon getting more people into gaming, and bringing friends and family together to have a fun time. Games like Guitar Hero or Dance Dance Revolution appeal to almost everyone, and are pretty much accepted as "cool". Fighting games and FPS's spawn tournaments all around the country, that people flock to. Why is enjoying a hobby like video games any different from a hobby like sports? Sports work your body, and games work your mind.

Another thing you said, about wasting a lot of your life playing video games, and saying you'd rather have had sex. Well no sh!t dude. But why not both? People see this issue as a "there can only be one" situation, and its not. Plus, what about when you were younger? What else could you have really done? No car, no money, too young to drink or hit the clubs, too young to be having sex, probably not even good enough to pick up chicks yet. What does that leave? Doing sports/extra-curricular stuff after school, hanging out with friends, studying, sleeping. Well any kid that's not yet out of high school would rather do anything than study, so forget that. Practice for sports and meetings with clubs probably only last till 6pm or so. Kids don't sleep much, hell, I don't sleep much. And if you're with your friends, you're probably playing games anyway! I don't understand how you were wasting your time.

I think the only way "wastes of time" can be defined is by your own definition. To me, if I'm enjoying myself, then that is something valuable and important to me. It doesn't have to be the most effective or productive thing I could be doing with my time. I'm not trying to be a robot. For others, they are only spending their time wisely when every second of every day is planned and has a specific purpose. If they aren't getting closer to their goals, then what they're doing is the wrong thing to be doing. We shouldn't try to talk down to others for not living up to OUR standards. Each person is responsible for their own life, and its really up to them to decide if they are wasting it or not.

LionOne

Don Juan
Reaction score
Being a kid and playing is ok unless he gets isolated from other kids and gets antisocial. I used to play a lot by myself, ignoring my friends too much. I think that even when the games are played online, it won't make it anymore social. The kid can have a huge online ego but cannot have a normal interaction with other kids. Kids should play together games in the same room and then go out and do other things.

Past a certain age (17-18) I think there is enough things to spend time with other than playing. I gave up playing and never regretted. I had a bad habit of spending my time playing games/just hanging online and not having any other life. I just had to stop it to get things moving again.

And there are many guys past their 20's who just go to school/work and play video games. It is FUN but not productive. Sure they should realize when they have a problem but it is not that straight-forward. AFCs who spend all their time on computer or playing video games NEED to be told that their life sucks. If you ask them how they do, they say they are fine. Unless I hadn't found Double your dating, Sosuave etc I would have been stuck in my stage of being an AFC and never improving. SOME people's lives need to be changed. This is life changing stuff on this forum and I'm glad I found this community.

My brother plays WoW couple hours a day, participates in 4 different martial arts, dates a fitness chick, goes out a lot, studies and is natural with his social skills. He does fine. If there is BALANCE then there is no problem. Sure most guys here will improve their social skills, get laid and still play video games. It's cool and it's your choice. I'm not trying to talk anyone to stop their hobbies.

My points are: It's ok to play if there is balance in life but some guys do have problems in their life management and they should think how to spend their time.

feelingloved

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks LionOne. I had wondered about the %breakdown. Since getting into the book of Pook, I;m concentrating on the 70%.

Epic

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with games. I agree that addiction is the real problem, but you shouldn't quit playing if you enjoy it, just slack off and don't let it interfere with your more important activities. It's not like crack where you need to remove it from your life. When was the last time you ever heard of someone sucking a d1ck for a game? It's not that serious. If a person really cares enough about becoming more socially involved and stepping away from games, then they will get some balls and do it.

Statements like "that sucks" or "that's a waste of time" are foolish, whether the subject is music, games, sports, religion, or whatever because they're centered around relative perspective. The goal of most people's lives is to be happy and content. You may not enjoy it, but someone, somewhere on this planet is gaining happiness from experiencing the very thing that you condemn. That would make statements like that incorrect would it not?

If you have that point of view it is not audacious to say that life is a lot like a crappy game. Now, I LOVE my life, but life itself could have been designed a little better. We have no idea what the point of the story is, the controls are hard to get used to (if you ever do get used to them), the ending sucks and technically it could also be said that LIFE is a waste of time, considering that you do die in the end, making all preceding actions pointless.

It's your life, if video games are your top priority and you can keep it that way, then no one can say anything to you, at least you're happy.

Reaction score
Epic said:
technically it could also be said that LIFE is a waste of time, considering that you do die in the end, making all preceding actions pointless.
1) You could have added that even the music sucks these days
2) SPOILER TAG THAT **** dammit :crackup:

General Septem

Don Juan
Reaction score
Video games, like any art form (and yes, video game development can be an art form), can serve to make one more interesting, so long as it doesn't consume you. I'm a huge fan of video games, music, movies, literature, and TV, but I do not waste my time with garbage that was written with the sole purpose of generating revenue. Garbage is certainly more prevalent among higher revenue media (nobody ever writes a book unless they enjoy it and/or really have something to say... it's not worth it otherwise), but there is art among them.

The only problem with video games is that because they are so engaging, they are hard to get away from. I don't play video games when there's something else I could be doing, but for me the major problem is getting away from the games at a reasonable hour so I don't suffer from sleep deprivation. Some people don't need as much sleep as others, but I'm a high-performance athlete and if I don't get to bed by 10-11 PM for too many days in a row, I start to feel the effects.

DoctorLW

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I have to agree with others that video games are not a problem unless you make them one.

I used to be pretty hardcore back in elementary and high school. In college (with the exception of mass dorm Halo freshman year), gaming time started to decline significantly. Now I find myself going months without playing a game. But I want it back. Unfortunately, my ability to be captivated by a game is not what it used to be. I couldn't even finish Metroid Prime 3 despite still being amazed by a lot of aspects of the game.

Instead what do I do with my time instead? Almost constantly socialize with friends. And now I'm practically addicted to that and I'd say it's detrimental. How so? Well for starters a lot of that time is spent drinking with buddies and with my high tolerance to alcohol and strong resistance to hangovers... I know I'm paying hell on my liver. Further, when I'm socializing, who am I spending most of my time talking to? Most often the girls I'm interested in. While I'm conscious of how often I'm talking to them and it really doesn't seem to be affecting my game negatively (yet, at least), I'd still rather keep them wondering a bit more what I'm up to. That can effectively be done by eating time playing video games.

Finally, I used to love it when girls gave me their disgust with video game speech. To be honest, especially with the emergence of the Wii, I very rarely see girls that believe this anymore anyway. Mario Kart was definitely a panty dropper back in the day. But when they do it's just one more way you can essentially show her "I don't give a fvck what you think." Speaking of the Wii, when that thing first came out I can't tell you how much ass that thing got me. I think my most succesful hookup line in college my senior year might have been "Wanna go back to my room and play Wii?" I think there were multiple occasions where I came home from a party and was surprised to find random girls in my room at 4AM playing Wii.

On the flip side, I played an MMORPG in 8th grade that completely stole my life away. Thankfully 8th grade meant jack in the grand scheme of things, or that could have ruined my high school and college careers. Even though I didn't have much of a life during that time, I still find myself occasionally looking back on those memories with fondness :eek: . I will never pick up one of those games again.

Ultimately, in the end all that matters is "Who the fvck cares?" If there is anything this site really teaches you, it is to do whatever the fvck you want and not really care what anybody else thinks.

SinJester

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time"

That basically sums up this thread in my opinion. However there is no argument that we need balance. Most of what I would like to say has already been said here, so I wont bother. Is reading a fiction book really that much more productive? People argue again drinking with close friends, but to be fufilled as human beings we need close friends. We can't just constantly meet new people. Even if we did everyone would quickly forget us. We can't constantly be doing productive things. If we think too much it is hard to define anything as being usefull. Hell isn't this discussion a waste of time?

I have no plans to stop gaming. It isn't stopping me getting what I want in life and I enjoy it. I just wish my Dad understood this. When he grew up he was lucky to have reception on his black and white TV. He thinks I should be outside if I'm not sleeping, playing with sticks or something. Well I guess I just have to live with it.

Has anyone else noticed that chicks universally love the super nintendo? :p

Credos

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
danny987 said:
I myself am a DJ in training, but this is something that i luckily learned long before my quest to become a DJ. The concept of how false reality things such as video games and tv are hurting your happiness. Let me try to explain this. Remember when the sims came out? That game was HUUUUGGE!!!!, ut what did you even do in this game? It was a life simulator! Now just think about that. instead of living your life you would rather go spend 40 bucks on a life simulator? So i started to think what the more popular games are now. The two that strike me the most are Halo (or all other shooting games) and my least favorite Guitar Hero.

So as for halo? you go around shooting things with your fake little gun. so how about instead you go play airsoft or paintball? Believe me this are much more intense!

What about Guitar hero? In my opinion this game is outrageous. I know firnds of mine who were maricles at guitars. I mean these people have a great future in music. But for the past few months they have been playing fake guitar. WTF!!!!!! Why dont you play the actual guitar??? i think these people are just crazy!

in conclusion stop living your life in a screen and go do some real living.
Look mate, just because you play videogames ETC. does not make you a nerd nor a DJ. I can simply not see any relation between these two things, just because there are computeraddicts who have no social skills, doesn't mean you have to stop things you like doing for women.

Just don't play all the time, have some other hobbies as well, have so fun, learn to enjoy yourself. If they can't stand you doing the things you like then its THE GIRL who's wrong and not you.

SinJester

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I forgot to mention. Video games are common and pretty much mainstream these days. Almost everyone plays them, it doesn't make you a nerd.

After 2 years the average age of the gamer will be 42, so don't think they are just for kids.

Games are also good social tools and are being played socially more and more (thanks Wii).

ExcelNPrevail

Don Juan
Reaction score
I never liked games anyway, but I have played guitar hero. As for Guitar hero it is actually harder than playing a real guitar on hard mode or whatever its called. Since it uses color coded buttons and sequences.

lonewolf17

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've never had a problem with video games. I play guitar hero maybe an hour a week and that's it. I've tried Halo and stuff, but I just can't get into it.

SinJester

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As for Guitar hero it is actually harder than playing a real guitar on hard mode or whatever its called. Since it uses color coded buttons and sequences.
You ever played an actual guitar?

Lord Shinra

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hitting four buttons and strumming a handle according to a sequence on a tv is not harder than learning the numerous amounts of chords on a guitar.

Anyway, I'm in a Vanilla Sky-like dream sequence, so nothing is really a waste of time for me. :yes:

General Septem

Don Juan
Reaction score
Lord Shinra said:
Hitting four buttons and strumming a handle according to a sequence on a tv is not harder than learning the numerous amounts of chords on a guitar.
And even that is easier than playing lead, which in turn is a lot easier than playing classically. ;)