Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Very interesting results from experiment on HOT OR NOT

Little John

Don Juan
Reaction score
I just found this site so I thought I would share with you guys the results of an experiment that I tried last year on hotornot.com.

I had been studying different pictures of guys that most women said were “really good looking” or “Hot”. Guys like Josh Harnett, Ewan McGregor, Orlando Bloom, Brad Pitt etc. and I had a theory that it was not so much their physical attributes or their facial structure that made them so attractive, but it was their personality and attitude that showed through in their facial expressions and body language that made them attractive.

So I had to try an experiment.

I took 3 pictures of myself.

The first one was just me basically standing there with just a very slight smile, basically the way I look all the time.

The second pic was of me smiling in a good mood looking like what I thought was a confidant, fun, out-going, approachable guy but not a chump or an AFC at all. I thought I looked really good.

The third pic was me with an irritated, tough guy look that said “get that camera out of my face” I narrowed my eyes, wrinkled my forehead, tilted my head down and was looking up a little. When I saw it, I thought it was terrible and wasn’t even going to use it but I tried it anyway.

Needless to say the results were very surprising.

The first pic of just the average me rated at an 8.4

The second happy pic rated at a 7.0

And the third pissed off pic rated at a 9.4

I was exactly the same person in all three pics, same clothes, same room, same lighting everything. The pics were literally taken only seconds apart.

It was the attitude that made all the difference, not the way I look. Just something to think about.

stevera004

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Nice job, sounds like a pretty well controlled experiment. If you could repeat a few more times, that would be great.

Grey Fox

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
And what conclusions do you draw from this research. Because I believe it was not so much an angry face, but a confident one. While the smiling came off as insecure and signaled that you were begging for acceptance, while the "angry face" suggested you are above judgement/powerful/confident ect.

-Grey Fox

Sirducer

Don Juan
Reaction score
This is retarded, go out and pick up... online sarging is for deformed and shy people. Stop sarging online or making other rediculous conclusions.

Grey Fox

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cut him some slack if he learned something about the power of body language through this then he knows a little more now. Remember this is a place to refine ones game and some refinements require more work than others.

-Grey Fox

Reaction score
Actually, although your results are not scientifically valid, there is some truth to your final analysis!!

Women love men best when they are at their most masculine - (i.e.) looking like a stern strong determined man and not a 'happy-go-lucky' retarded bastard!!!!

Sirducer

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Grey Fox
Cut him some slack if he learned something about the power of body language through this then he knows a little more now. Remember this is a place to refine ones game and some refinements require more work than others.

-Grey Fox
Why cant he do the same experiment out in the field? Wtf is this crap online?

God_of_getting_layed

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
good job man, Its nice to see someone actually put some effort into backing up their hypothesis/speculations, something the DJ bible needs some work on (cuagh)

But Id like to give you some pointers here on your experiment. We all know that If I get 2 pictures of myself and put them on hotornot.com, even if both pictures are just 2 different submitions of the same picture, it is not unusual to get 2 different scores for the 2 pictures, this is normal and is expected when it comes to hotornot.com. So this means you cant yet say that the differences in scores for the groups in your experiment where caused by bodylanguage, those differences could also have been cuased by the random inaccuracies of the ratings pics get on hotornot.com. Not only that, it is normal for random chance events to effect dependant variable scores (this is a normal common phenomenon in probability and statistics)

So the only way to make sure, is to redo the experiment like stevera004 said, put the same 3 pictures from before on hotornot.com again, all fresh and ready to get a new set of sample ratings. If the pictures get a similar rating to the rating from your last experiment, then we can know that the differences in picture ratings was indeed by the changes in bodylanguage, and not random innacuracies of hotornot.com. becuase the probability of getting same scores again based on chance innacuracies of hotornot.com is rare.

However, even if the bodylanguage is making a difference in the picture ratings, it is very unlikely that youll get exact same scores the second experiment, youll only end up get an approximately close rating to the ratings of the last experiment. So this means that it will seem like a matter of opinion when you try to guage if the 2 ratings are "close" or "not close", I mean if the scores are only approaixmately close, where do you draw the decision line to decide if theyre "close enough" or "not close enough"? And due to this, it will make it difficult to decide if the results are acutally caused by body language or if the approximate similarities are cuased by chance event.

The solution to this is to calculate what is called a P-value for the old experiment results and the new, which basically tells you the probability that the approximate simliarities are by chance event or by some kind of systematic cuase and effect relationship, which you will be able to use to make your decision if its "close enough" to say your hypothesis holds some truth, or if its "not close enough" to say its false. If your serious about redoing your experiment, you can PM and Ill send you some infor on calculating Pvalues etc.

The only reason I would ask that you redo your experiment is becuase hotornot.com is notorious for being innaccurate at rating, you have all kinds of variables that contribute to this, you have people who just click 5 to get to the next pic, you have other dudes giving every dude a rating of 1 just for kicks, and many other variables skewing the innacuracies of the pic ratings, making different ratings for 2 different submitions of the same pic a common thing. If hotornot.com was actually accurate, then I would totally accept your experimental results. Although Im confident that if your redo your experiemnt, you will find with certainty that your hypothesis holds some truth. Although I could be wrong, I cant really say, you havent redone the experiment yet ;)

P.S. Your experiment is not done on a random sample, it was based on a biased sample, and this is a statistical no no that takes away any scientific validity. Its was not random becuase only people who went to hotornot.com that were actually interested in viewing and rating your pic rated your pic, its not like you actively randomly selected women and said "rate my pic".

But hey, it was a good try

Last edited:

Little John

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Grey Fox
And what conclusions do you draw from this research. Because I believe it was not so much an angry face, but a confident one. While the smiling came off as insecure and signaled that you were begging for acceptance, while the "angry face" suggested you are above judgement/powerful/confident ect.

-Grey Fox
Gery Fox and PRL,
Thats essentially the same conclusion that I came to.

I let all three of these pics run at the same time until they each had about 350 votes each so I think they scores had fairly stabilized.

Hot or not gives you a bar graph distribution showing you how many votes you had for each rating 1-10.

The regular pic had a normal bell curve shape with the majority of the votes being 5's with an equal number of votes for both 1's and 10's.

The happy pic was biased towards the low end with mostly 2-5's and did not have one single vote for a "10"

And the "tough guy" pic was biased towards the high end with the majority of the votes being 7's and 8's with severial 10's.

No these arent hard core scientific results but thats not the point. It was just an experiment. I was just amazed at how people intrepreted my body language differently.

I thought I was sending one message, but people were reading another.

frivolousz21

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i think smiling is 100000 times better!

maybe u have a bad smile?

if you were on a date would u prefere her to smile or not?

or would she rather u smile or not?

frivolousz21

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I can agree with that.

but in real life..what are u supposed to do..stand and not smile??

i think during sex..or other inament moments..not smiling does make a male loook "dominate" which is the ultimate turn on for a women.

but when u meet someone shouldnt you smile?

so my point was if you want to know what she will see when you meet then you need to go by ur smile.

God_of_getting_layed

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
frivolous wrote:

maybe u have a bad smile?
Thats a good point. So then little john still does not have enough evidence to prove his hypothesis. for all we know he got a lower score when he smiled not becuase of "the effects of bodylanguage" but becuase his face just gets uglier when he smiles, alot of people out there just look ugly when they smile. And by the same logic, his face was just "the least ugliest" when he looked pissed, so we cant say its body language yet.

So this experiment is starting to turn out like crap. Its unscientific, its biased, its based on an unreliable rating source and we still cant show that body language is the only independant variable here, facial structure is changing too, effecting how "ugly his face looks". there are probably more independant variables at play here too, totally making it hard to tell if body language is indeed the cuase of the scores.

so theres no need to jump to conclusions people.

gav

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i think i have a good smile, but when i put that pic on hotornot i got 1point less than the one where i wasn't smiling.

if you smile too much you look like an emasculated chump. save your smiles; use them sparingly.

prl is spot on here

Women love men best when they are at their most masculine - (i.e.) looking like a stern strong determined man and not a 'happy-go-lucky' retarded bastard!!!!

Little John

Don Juan
Reaction score
Oh my God,

As usual, you guys are way way waaay over analyzing this.

The whole point is that it doesnt matter so much about the "looks" youre born with, but its your attitude that matters.

Different Attitude = More Attractive

its not that complicated.

diplomatic_lie

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Too many variables. Some chicks like angry-looking men, some chicks like happy-looking men, some chicks like women.

Also some people look bad smiling, others look worse when not smiling.