Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Vector Marketing Corp. / Cutco Cutlery

Mitch_Mustain

Don Juan
Reaction score
Anyone ever worked here?

I got tipped to this place and i applied and got through a interview and tommorrow i have to go to a seminar from 3-8 which to me is a long ass time considering I'm not getting paid for it. And also, I've done some research on this company just so I can be ahead of matters but instead Im noticing that they might be a pyramid scheme business. Can anyone give me any assertion to these claims?

RedPill

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Never been with that organization, but I've trained people in sales who came out of there. Get ready to sell the sh1t out of some expensive-ass knives. And yes, you're expected to hit up your natural market (friends & family) and get tons of referrals. Realize you're in this for the experience and not the paycheck, and you can have a rewarding experience with their training.

Oh, and by the way, 5 hours without getting paid in a commission-based environment is nothing. Try going 5 weeks or 5 months. If you ever start a business or go on to a full-time sales career, that's a reality when you're first getting started.

Derek Flint

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Marin County, CA - just North of San Francisco
No faster way to alienate your friends and family by pestering them to buy overpriced products.

Rarely does anyone make money in MLM, and those that do are the one's at or near the top of the pyramid.

And they make their money by getting their downline to buy overpriced products.

The Forms

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
that cutco crap, right? I didn't realize that's what vector was and ended up at the interview thing. They TARGET young people. I remember an older guy was in the room right before it began and they took him aside, explained something to him and he laughed for a minute and high tailed it out of there.

After his little presentation the boss guy pulled everyone into his office individually. When I went in his first question was, "so, are you sold? Ready to sell some knives?" I said, "not quite, I have a few questions." so he says, "well it looks like this isn't the place for you. Thanks for your time."

Its such crap. you'll just piss off your friends and relatives for a few weeks, and then you'll just be happy to get your money back by turning in the knives they made you buy.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You may find this thread of direct interest, as it answers in great detail the question you've asked.

http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=65444

Also of interest is one of the first replies, linking you to this Consumer Affairs page:

http://consumeraffairs.com/news03/save.html

Here's one reply from an avid fan... :rolleyes:

darkmenace said:
NO dude, dont do it!!!

I did it over the summer and worst f'n experience.

they tell you that your gonna make 16 bucks per appointment, but what they dont tell you till later is that it has to be a certain person who you do a presentation to.

Its easier at first since you do it with family, Im telling you at first its like a dream come true. Every manager seems really psyched about CUTCO, and it even gets you psyched, although in the back of your mind your like "is this guy serious?"

I should have seen the signs before I jumped into it...

My mom's boss had given me an opportunity to work at a preschool as a substitute assistant, pay was gonna be good and it was a really good opportunity (most people wait 6 months to get an opening like that, I got it in a week).
A week after that news, I got the letter from Vector/CUTCO. I didnt know what the hell this was about, but it was extremely f'n easy to get an interview, So i was like "**** yeah im going"

I get an interview and the guy asks me to come back for a second interview, I was told I might get the job because of this.
I come back, but I get their late, the second group interview had already started. I should have walked out of there when I had the chance. One of the managers stopped me and told me I should come back for another interview later that afternoon, hesitantly I said sure, I needed the money. I end up getting the job that evening.
My girlfriend tells me she has a pretty bad feeling about this company, and I told her I would be ok. I skipped helping her move out to go to their training (brainwashing would be more like it). Those 3 days we dont get paid for training, Im stressing and hoping that this would be all worth it in the end. I find out we have to pay about $145 for the "training packet", after that half of my class is gone the next day. The day before I had to pay, my dad told me that it wasnt a good idea to take that job, we argued. My mom because she loves me so damn much, hesitating she gave me the money.

they tell me that I get paid 16 bucks an appointment, there were 10 or 15 slots for appointments. The following week I have 2 sales and the rest no sales. Im hoping to get a couple hundred with comission and all...I dont even get enough money for gas....IM LIKE WTF IS THIS...

That month (July) was all just brainwashing meetings, wasted gas, wasted time, no money, PDI's , calling people I havent talked to in years, getting pressured to call people by the managers. I ended up trying to scam the company back, by writing down that I had alot of appointments and having my friends sign. I got me a couple of dollars. For cutco I sold over $2000 dollars worth of knives, I only got $300. I didnt get the base pay I deserved. I ended up quitting after only a month of work.

CUTCO's knives do work, no doubt. But the way they brainwash us young kids into thinking that we'll be rolling in dough by the end of summer is just f'n wrong. Bottomline is dont do it, Youll end up more broke than when you started and more afraid of the corporate world than ever before. LOL
However, feel free to form your own opinions based on the rest of the thread.

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cutco? Hahaha! How are these guy's still in business? I remember going in for an "interview" with these shmucks back when I was 19. They target youngsters and pretend they're players from "The Boiler Room". It's a pyramid marketing scam plain and simple.

Abbott

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I haven't ever worked for them. I've heard too many bad things. But, my mother's friend had a daughter that once did. It was horrible for her.

It was rough for her. I remember one thing my mother said was that she (the young girl) was called at the ass-crack of dawn (like 6AM) and was asked "so how many appointments did you schedule today?" or something like that, even on the weekend. She also made what was essentially no money at this job, especially for the work involved.

The knives are a joke, too. There's one model that costs $45 but when I saw it, it was SMALL.

Sadly, the model of trying to get friends and family to buy does work. I can't believe that my mother actually purchased that one knife. She bought the smallest or second smallest (and cheapest one), but the cost was unbelievable. I wouldn't have been so nice. She said that she actually bought it because she did feel a little bad. I wonder if she truly understood whether or not that is exactly what they are counting on?

The product is way over-priced for what it is, at least it seemed that way to me. If I really wanted to be helpful, it'd be better if I bought some other knife (assuming it's something I actually needed at the time), and give a little cash to the sucker who's working for nothing. It'd be cheaper that way, and probably results in more money for the poor sucker.

I believe that model actually works for the company. They don't care what effect it has on their sla...workers. How else do they continue to function despite being completely despicable?

Boycott Vector!

Ben

bigWill

Don Juan
Reaction score
I almost worked for these F&*ks freshman year of college thinking I could earn some extra money during winter break.

I had no idea what it was until I got to the interview/orientation and realized I would be selling F&*ing knives. I sadly, was going to do it anyways until my mother and father talked me out of it and wrote me a check so I could concentrate on school.

Seriously though, going through training, in the back of my mind, I knew that it was all bull**** and that my "bosses" were two-bit players in the corporate world.

I know have a REAL marketing postion with an honest, employee-friendly company and it is WORLDS BETTER than Vector, aka Cutco

A-Unit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re:

I'm glad I can be one of the "few" to buck this trend...

-I found the advertisement.
-Went to the recruiting meeting.
-Signed on and bought the set, which I still have and use to this day. [It actually sells itself years later, though I do not sell the knives anymore.]
-Made decent money before I began my finance internship.
-Still have customers buying to this day, through the catalogue.

MY Truths...

**Yes, the sales managers are young and are hokey, but they're supposed to be. Unless you're in HIGH TECH or BIG PHARMA, MOST sales managers are hokey. That's their job, whether they're on X 24-7 or not. They are there to motivate and drive sales and make the office a positive environment, even if it feels like a cult.

**They have a funky compensation structure because they know the stats. Of all the presentations you do to people, 70% of them will buy SOMETHING. That's a VERY high closing ratio. I had people who only bought one expensive cheese cutting knife out of pitty, and NOW bought full sets @ $700 a pop. Why? The knives are GUARANTEED forever. Granted most guys can't appreciate that but...my current partner and mentor brought me on board in finance because I was involved with Cutco. It wasn't so much the company, but it was because it REQUIRES you to do your own leads work through referral, be a self starter, and make it happen. They pay per appointment, but they KNOW if you're doing the appointments you'll make WAY more in commission than the PER APPOINTMENT RATE people first see.

**What makes it wrong or a bad experience? Have you sold and had success with them so you can make decision? It's misleading to people who just want 10-20$ per hour, for sure. But for a sales person who would sell cars or do MLM, it's great. For a self starter looking for an opportunity, it's great. Women do candle parties and jewelry parties, why can't college students offer a product like FOREVER GUARANTEED knives that are so ridiculously sharp you can cut pennies Or carpet Or bone? (My own aunt who bought a big set actually used the knife to rip up her living room carpet since she had nothing sharper in her home; I found 3 knives all around the room while I was helping her). In a world with poor, inferior products, they are above the norm.

Do you ever notice who wants success and wealth and who just wants a job? The people who are pissed about the PER APPOINTMENT compensation don't see the big picture.

Are they knives? Yes. Why is that good? BECAUSE EVERYONE USES THIS PRODUCT. You can sell it at ANY college you go to. You can sell it to family. I think my line was I was doing presentations for sales experience and getting college credit. The products are good, but I just wanted the opportunity to demonstrate what I had to offer. Yeah, you offer the big set at the end, but you always OFFER the most to begin with, then come down from there. Even carsalesman do that.

When i consider the product on it's own, it's a great product, the best anywhere. Knives might seem hokey, but for women who cook alot or for families who have many family parties, these things pay for themselves. My own mother cooks all meals and with cheap knives, eating meat totally sux. No 2 ways about it. It also helps with other knives for presentation, desserts, etc. But the point isn't about a WORLD changing product like some drugs or pharmas, but the fact that the market is HUGE and LOCAL and the increasing commission structure is NICE.

At first I felt burned by the initial introduction. My own GF at that time joined, and she didn't do too well b/c she barely made any appointments. She just wanted hourly wages since she was on college break. She didn't want to WORK beyond that to make a few bucks extra. Had she done that, the word about the knives would have spread and she'd have made 100's to 1000's extra during college.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If these things were sold in stores, they'd fly like hot cakes. Women buy expensive ass bags that better last 1 full season of trendiness. You use utencils everyday. Maybe you don't need the best knives forever. However, the reality is we'll all buy utencils for the home, and perhaps many times over. Even the bachelors here will cook @ home, host parties, and have women over. You can buy many cheap and ugly sets over the years, or buy Cutcos just once forever. This isn't a sales presentation, though it sounds it. As a sales rep you have to buy a small set, which they will refund your money if you want it when you're done, or you can purchase @ a discount and keep them (the discount is about 50% or more). I kept them. People use them and can't believe how wonderful it is to cook with. When my GF cooks for me she doesn't need my help cutting tough vegetables or cutting fine cuts of meat.

Even my partner has a set he's owned since HE sold them 30+ years ago. The same set, same design, never replaced, never broken, and look great.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My RECO's...

*Do this if you can fly a month or two without big checks. OR, get aggressive and land TONS of appointments. Your commission schedule is INCREASING, so the more volume you do, the greater % of the total money you'll get. If you do this while doing something else AND LIKE it, eventually you'll have spread word big enough. You could also get creative and do it in large groups, however they advocate NOT doing that because it can go either way. Some women who have no money might intimidate other women who don't, especially when they see a knife can for $20 to $100 dollars per knife, and a full set is over $700.

*Do this if you like the product and can see value in it. Granted, we're not selling the cure for cancer here, but you don't have to be embarrassed by your family because the product DID NOT work or it BROKE quickly. I think that's big. There aren't many things college students can sell personally AND stand by. Not to mention YOUR product will be used more than tupperware parties products or the candle party products or the jewelry party products, LAST longer, and never have to be replaced. PLUS, when people have other non clients over, they will sell themselves because they'll be using the knives.

*Do this if you want to begin a sales career. Seriously. I never expected my mentor to have done it. Few people did. But I've also gotten involved in questionable MLM's adventures, if nothing else JUST TO BE INVOLVED. Sure I didn't make money, but I learned what was out, what are good products and what are bad ones. Good ones can sell themselves, bad ones need good sales people to make them appear better than they actually are. The knives in this case sell themselves, and if no one here has used them, you can't make a decision on that. Maybe your SALES MANAGER was a joke, or your specific office was a joke, or you found the advertisement for the position a joke, all that is valid. But in the end, it's only the sales person AND the product. You control your schedule. You control your income.

Had I to do it all over, I'd have begun at the start of college, gotten the thing up and running like a business and sold via network through all contacts possible with a SOFT sell presentation, since the demonstration alone sells most people (remember Vector does hold sales stats on the closing ratio, so they know, that's why they offer PER appointment, they don't expect they'll pay the smaller number). Many college students would benefit MORE from doing this than most other college jobs, ONCE they're established.

I'll be interested to hear people's reaction to my post, since most people were negative on the experience from the get-go, but most posts are written also by people who didn't sell or make a dime on them. I'd also say they'd be good for the AIMLESS person in a boring dead end job looking to make a transition to sales. They'll hire MOST people, you can set your hours, it only takes little time, you can do it PART time on weekends, you can make several thousand dollars extra a month, and on and on. Many guys are looking for MORE income, and a place like this is it. But you have to take responsibility and sell it, not the other way around.

Good luck.

A-Unit

Julian

Banned
Reaction score
^^wow strong salesmanship

chill bro no one on the forum is gona buy your knife set hahaha

A-Unit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re:

Ha, that's a good one. ^. And yet, you can't have it either!

~~~~~~~~

I was mentioning this because what separates the 5-10% from the 90-95%? I worked for the company for a short time period, and probably could go back. I had a buddy who did it in NC and did ok, but came away with many of the same concerns that other's mentioned here. They were...

[] Misleading advertisement for the position.

They made it as attractive as possible to get people in the door. They should have disqualified anyone who didn't fit the profile @ the interview, RATHER than lead them on to fame and fortune. However, most lower and middle class sales companies DO maintain a CHURN and BURN mentality where they know only a certain % will work out, so rather than dilligently find able bodied people, they get tons of people recruited and see who sticks to produce.

[] A cult like presence in the office and hokey management.

I'm not sure where people expect to sell, but I've done Vector Marketing, Credit Card sales, Financial Sales, and even Fundraising when i was younger. All of it is hokey unless you sell to the top 5% High Net worth people where those tactics don't apply. And if they don't, go READ Spin Selling where the program is catered toward HNW clients and businesses. Otherwise mainstream sales positions are incentivized and chock full of hokey, koolaid drinking managers. They wouldn't be there running the line if they didn't.

[] The knives are over priced and stupid.

This is just plain ignornant. I didn't know anything about the knives until I sold them, and didn't appreciate them until I had my own place. Until that, you can't really value them. If you're used to making PB and J sandwiches and you live at home, you won't care. But if you're cooking steaks or cutting vegetables, you will. Moreover, when you begin furnishing your home you realize you want to keep costs down since you do it so frequently (everytime you move). However, anything that is backed up with a guarantee to last forever is truly unique. And the knives aren't over priced, they have what is known as SUNK costs, or HIGH upfront costs. But if you can use them forever, they pay for themselves over the years and then some. Once they're bought, you're done, forever.

[] The Pay Structure.

If you're seeking guaranteed checks, NEVER go into sales. EVER. Guaranteed checks are the work of Economic units, or robots, where a company will FOREVER try to squeeze the maximum value out of you for the LEAST amount of money spent. If you go into sales, you'll be partnered WITH the company and/or owner, so if you're the best, it's your arse that will be kissed, right after the CEO/PRESIDENT. Sales people command respect and power in companies, almost as much as the prez himself. A person I know who is in tech sales can seamlessly leave on job and acquire another, better one in days, all because he's top at his company and he brings results. The pay at vector IS fair. They pay PER appointment, so if you're not bringing in big comm. checks, they know. They know their rates. And the office I was at would even help you out. Every office is different. But at least, for the most part, you only have you to worry about. Since you buy the marked down set, you're not reportable to anyone, nor do they have minimums set. They obviously want you to sell the biggie, and that turned me off initially, since they praised the people who could, but those who went there EXPECTING $15-20$ per hour, but in reality it comes out at $10 per hour, since it's about a 2 hour total appointment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm not selling the company, since I don't care, don't work there, but it's a misnomer that should be thrown away. The only bad experiences I've heard of were those who didn't follow through with the program and make money, and most times, they weren't determined enough to MAKE sales anyways. I made a few thousand dollars extra while I was awaiting my internship, and still sold here and there for extra bucks. It's probably the easiest thing to sell out there, the presentation is simple and fun, and the pay should still be pretty good...

But there's lessons behind this post that all should see...

A-Unit