Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Upcoming promotion offer

Machine10033

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Looking for some advice. I have made it to a pretty awesome position. I am in a mid management spot in my company and over see several offices. Each office has their own manager which is responsible for the operations. I am pretty much a conduit between upper and lower management.. make sure info and policies are being received, keeping track of administrative functions, etc.

I can report to any of those offices or work from home. No one busts my chops. I have no set schedule... can work weekends or evenings if I have something gong on. I have zero stress... and for the most part work an actual 4-5 hours a day.

There was a retirement in upper management and I have been told I am going to get offered that spot. It will be about a 20k pay raise but I will now report to HQ and be under a microscope each day... work an 8-4 schedule and have an hour commute each way. People in my organization kill each other for promotions and I am actually dreading the thought.

is this irrational that I’m contemplating turning this down ?

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Looking for some advice. I have made it to a pretty awesome position. I am in a mid management spot in my company and over see several offices. Each office has their own manager which is responsible for the operations. I am pretty much a conduit between upper and lower management.. make sure info and policies are being received, keeping track of administrative functions, etc.

I can report to any of those offices or work from home. No one busts my chops. I have no set schedule... can work weekends or evenings if I have something gong on. I have zero stress... and for the most part work an actual 4-5 hours a day.

There was a retirement in upper management and I have been told I am going to get offered that spot. It will be about a 20k pay raise but I will now report to HQ and be under a microscope each day... work an 8-4 schedule and have an hour commute each way. People in my organization kill each other for promotions and I am actually dreading the thought.

No, it is not irrational to be contemplating turning it down. I assess what you describe and I don't think the extra $20k per year is worth it. Your current salary is probably quite solid and your salary gives you a likely better than average lifestyle. While the difference between $45k a year and $65k a year is substantial, the difference between $90k and $110k isn't as life changing.

Machine10033

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
While the difference between $45k a year and $65k a year is substantial, the difference between $90k and $110k isn't as life changing.
That’s exactly my thought. If you actually figured out my hourly rate for the time im actually working it’s insane. My buddy is two positions a ahead of me right now... makes 40k more than me... but legit puts in 12-16 hour days. He is constantly being up rooted and sent away to deal with issues. If you figure out his hourly rate he makes way less than me. I love having a life... working out, working on my golf game, running, hiking... the promotion might boost someone else’s ego but for me it seemed like a much worse position!

Chuck Taylor

Banned
Reaction score

So, you're basically Tom Smykowski from Office Space?

Mike32ct

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eastern Time Zone where it's always really late
A guy retiring from my work building (former manager) once told me “Mike, don’t ever be a manager. It’s tough enough being responsible for yourself, let alone other people.”

A buddy of mine took a management promotion for the pay and prestige boost. He hates it and is counting the days until retirement.

Your mileage may vary.