Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Unemployed and depressed

MrStabAHo

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mazeman11
2.8/4

You must be either Chinese or Indian. They're the only ones who seem to give a damm about GPA.

"Heelloo Mr.Mazeman11, I cun see you havv colleege degree. What you GPA? "
Haha not even bro.... I know a couple other people who got their engineering degrees and they couldn't get find a job to save their lives... Hope your luck changes...Try starting your own business

cave dweller

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
go to work.....

Mazeman11,

Fvck depression. (you are depressed because you don't have a job)

Here is what you need to do:

1...Get off of you @ss and get job.

2...Any job... McDonalds, labor with a contractor, sell cars, work as a plumbers helper--ie. any damn thing.

3...Work the shvtty job and at the same time keep looking for the type of work that you are interested in.

Mazeman11, I am telling you this will work.

Bottom line-----Get off of your @ss and go to work.

cave dweller

reyalp

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
well mazeman11, i'll offer this piece of advice to you

right now, in SE Louisiana, there is a high demand for anything to do with construction or engineering.

Go to NOLA.com, check out the jobs

a greyhound ticket should be between $100-200

if you find something near Lafayette, LA, I know people who might be able to get you some free lodging.

i'm waiting on an engineer's report right now on a house that had a massive brick wall toppled. the engineer is supposed to tell us if it was wind or flood that caused the dmg. i think the bill for that one report is around $2500.

so get your ass down here and get to work!
you're intelligent, there are other opportunities that you may be able to succeed in.

Alfa+Omega

Reaction score
Everybody ha been depressed at one time or another, but U gotta know tha this is gonna pass.

1st get in shape man... Use the free time working out, U body will feel better and your mind will be occupied.

2nd get out more.... By going out, anywhere, U'll be in contact with people and u can talk to strangers, who knows maybe a stranger knows of a job.

Only the strong minded can control their life and the res are just zombies doing whatever they have to do and hate their jobs,situations, etc. They hate their life.

Ask yourself this, Is your only option working as an engenier :eek:

irishguy

Reaction score
Exercise will help with the depression.

I'd also recommend you start working. Something you could drop fairly quickly if you got an engineering position. This will earn you some money and get you talking to people.

Have you gotten any feedback on your c.v.? Maybe an engineering recruitment agency could help.

loveprefect

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Mazeman11 said:
I have always been a hard worker. Nothing has come easy to me.

I'm shocked how the situation has influenced me. I have a hard time conversing with people and stutter a lot. When I go to the shops I'm always nervous for no reason. I think the depressed has sunk in physically. Even when I went to the bar girls kept walking up to me asking why I looked so "sad". I just can't hide it.

It's even worse when I talk to employers and recruiters because I'm not myself anymore and have a very hard time communicating. Whcich makes me look like a fool.

It really bothers me seeing people younger than me with less eduacation and less potential holding decent jobs where I can't even get an interview, not to mention a job.

I'm trying to be strong about this. But I'm living with family and time is running short. They say they don't me staying with them but it bothers me and I feel ashamed. That is very difficult because I am a proud man and my dignity means everything to me.
i am facing the same problem right now...difference being i stay alone and i still rely on my parents to send me money.

Adone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I can't get what's the problem in not having a job and living with your parents when you are in your 20s. Now, if you were like 40-yrs-old, unemployed and willing to spend all your life not doing anything, supported by your parents, THAT would be a problem.

But you are a young engineer, hoping to get a job soon so you can live on your own. This doesn't sound that bad, does it? Learn to look at things in different ways.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You're depressed because you are letting your situation consume you; it's as if your sole purpose in life is to find a job. With that being the case, your inability to find one is making you depressed.

Given you are putting a lot of pressure on yourself after changing your lifestyle and moving in with your parents but again, this undue pressure is eroding your psyche. This is detrimental in more ways than you probable realize. Your mental anguish has already started taking its toll on your body. Even worse if it's effecting your personality during your interview.

My suggestion, cut back on the amount of time that you spend looking for employment. Yeah the rule of thumb is that looking for employment should be your full time job until you're hired but c'mon, 12 fvcking hours a day? Think about it, you're spending 2/3 of your waking hours searching and you've seemingly made no progress. Hell, I'd probably be depressed too! Consider cutting back to 6 or 8 hours and take a couple of breaks including lunch.

With the extra time that you have focus on getting your personal life back on track, you're missing that balance. Work on your physical health, work on spending time with your family, help out around the house, take a couple of free classes on the web (learn a new software package). Who knows, what you learn could secure you a position in the interim.

Finally, spending time helping out your family will help you are contributing something even though it's not money. That just may help bring you out of your funk and that can only help you during your interviews.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Adone said:
I can't get what's the problem in not having a job and living with your parents when you are in your 20s. Now, if you were like 40-yrs-old, unemployed and willing to spend all your life not doing anything, supported by your parents, THAT would be a problem.

But you are a young engineer, hoping to get a job soon so you can live on your own. This doesn't sound that bad, does it? Learn to look at things in different ways.
He's spent a lot of effort learning his craft and now it feels as if was for nothing because life isn't playing out the way he expected. Also, you can't deny that some guys still define their manhood by being self sufficient. It's rare nowadays but I still say that a guy can be of legal drinking age, have a driver's license or even join the military, but the real thing that speaks volumes to his manhood is self sufficiency.

insanity

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
unemployment sucks.....i have been there in the past. but i never did let it get me down. your putting to much pressure on yourself. it's easy to be in the sheltered life of school. but heres the real slap in the face. there was no guarentee of a job after you completed your academic journey. yes i agree that it gives you more opportunity than the average. but i'm having a hard time lately believing going to university or college is really worth it. even though i do got my plumbing. i love the smell of bran what can i say:)

you are not alone in this situation. i have been banging into alot of people with degrees and all that jazz and they aren't any higher up than the average. and they are slammed with the debt from school. i think that if you end up paying all that money for something. you should recieve a job or have some kind of debt relief till you get into your choosing occupation. but if you really think about it....think of the thousands of students who graduate every year...the job market most be heavyly saturated and bombarded every year from students who just finished school, job hunting like you.

i have read posts on this forum saying that one degree isn't enough nowadays. i was shocked when i came home for a visit and i went to my sisters apartment. she was living in a dump, she was taking public transportation, their neighbourhood was the worst,etc. and she is academically gifted with 3 degrees under her belt. thats alot of firepower!
then i flew back to my apartment and it didn't make sense that i was pulling in more money than her, my apartment is killer, i love my car. plumbing ain't that great, but the bills are payed with ease.

i think it comes down to location. the city i am living at is booming and expanding. they are crying for plumbers out here and it pays awesome.

just take a look at where you are. if you can't get what you want there. go somehere else. thats what i did. i went where my temp profession was needed.

get out into the world.....

Joe The Homophobe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
We live in a society were young people think they're going to make tons of money right after they're done with college, they're gonna live a good life and retire early, they feel they are entitled to all this but the truth is you gotta work hard for all this. Studies show that a lot of graduates from college spend a lot of time looking for a job they spend a lot of time unemployed. Some even go back to school to get more degrees. The market for jobs is very competitive you just can't expect to be given tons of offers after you graduate. Not only that but 1 degree is not enough anymore. Another problem is that the jobs are where the action is and where the action is it gets expensive. The action is in big cities, populated states, where living is more expensive. You can't expect to find your dream job close to where you grew up. You might end up moving far away and even to another state not knowing anyone.

In your case you already got an angineers degree so you're better off than most guys with just a high school diploma. Most people rather be in your situation to be honest you don't have it bad you have it good compared to most people. Once you find a job relating to your career youll be making more money than most.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Joe The Homophobe said:
We live in a society were young people think they're going to make tons of money right after they're done with college, they're gonna live a good life and retire early, they feel they are entitled to all this but the truth is you gotta work hard for all this.
Very good point.

Da Realist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I read this book about all these things people did after graduating college other than just getting a job or going to grad school. They traveled the world, tutored in public schools, taught English abroad, and a lot of other things before getting into the real world. Then when they looked for a job, they had better luck finding one because of the experience they got after school instead of just relying on their education. Thing is you just have to take a risk.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Da Realist said:
I read this book about all these things people did after graduating college other than just getting a job or going to grad school. They traveled the world, tutored in public schools, taught English abroad, and a lot of other things before getting into the real world. Then when they looked for a job, they had better luck finding one because of the experience they got after school instead of just relying on their education. Thing is you just have to take a risk.
Funny you bring up experience. I've seen more student secure a position after graduation if they have at least a year or two experience. I know people will ask how can they get experience if they are in school? Well do what people did not all that many years ago, work part time to pay for their education while they were in school. Companies appreciate not only the work experience but also the self direction of paying for their own education AND working while attending school. It says a lot about the work ethic of the person.

WillieSacks

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Apply with a job for a phone company.

Alltel 10.50+ commission = 37-40k per year
Verizon Vireless 9.63+ commission= 35-65 k per year (35 k if you just do the bare minimum)
T-Mobile 9-10 hr + commission = 40-55 k per year
Cingular 11.50+ commission = 35-50 k per year

Hourly varies depending on job experience, location...etc

You don't need a college degree for any of these jobs but since you have an engineering degree, you should apply for verizon, they are always looking for people with degrees and ambitionand it's easy to move up in the field.

I've applied for Verizon, and am waiting for a 3rd interview, T-Mobile is giving me my first interview this week, I already talked to the manager at cingular and he told me their hiring and to fill an app and give him a call, I hedging a little away from cingular though b/c I heard the employees aren't treated the best there.

T-mobile is the easiest to sell in my opinion by the way, Verizon has the least dropped calls of any network but their plans are a little pricey but people will buy since they have the second largest network and cingular has the worst service but the largest network, thanks to advertising.

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Emailing them a coverletter and a CV is fvcking useless nowadays. Pick up the phone and CALL them.

I sent out 30 emails regarding different jobs, and didn't get a single reply back. Then I started calling instead of emailing them. I made 5 calls, and got called in for 4 interviews.

LegendBoy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Australia has a shortage of engineers. They are encouraging people to take the course to fill the large number of jobs available. Explore the option.

Scrumtulescence

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Da Realist said:
Interesting......I'm kind of in the same dilemma, graduated college a little while ago, haven't gotten a job yet (I honestly don't want to), and am thinking of doing something like teaching english abroad first.

What book did you read?

Adone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Francisco d'Anconia said:
He's spent a lot of effort learning his craft and now it feels as if was for nothing because life isn't playing out the way he expected. Also, you can't deny that some guys still define their manhood by being self sufficient. It's rare nowadays but I still say that a guy can be of legal drinking age, have a driver's license or even join the military, but the real thing that speaks volumes to his manhood is self sufficiency.

Very good point. But he should remember that it shouldn't be his case. What I mean is, he could easily be self sufficient: he could take up another kind of work, for example construction worker or something like that. But he feels that he's entitled to a better work (and he's right), so he's waiting for better options. He could become self sufficient any moment.