Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

UK Live in partner laws and rights

Loki.7

Banned
Reaction score
I'm looking for advise specific to the UK.

Basically I own my own home outright, everything is paid off.

I like to do the living with my girlfriend thing. I have a preference for it, I'm not looking to get married.

So it's got me thinking if I were to live with a girlfriend it makes sense for her to move in with me.

What I want to know is what I can do specific to the UK to protect my assets in the event of a break up.

I'm thinking get a cohabitation agreement before hand stating, she the non owner is not entitled to any of the property, matinence and renovation are my responsibility, cost of living is to be shared equally (food, bills e.t.c).

And basically I stick to this agreement. We split cost of living exactly down the middle, and I take complete financial responsibility of the upkeep of my property.

Mabye a bit overkill, but does this completely protect my assets / property in the event of a messy break up?

Is there anything else to consider?

As far as I'm aware the non owner will have zero rights in this situation in the UK. But what they do get is a really low cost of living (no rent/morgage/financial responsibilities regarding mantinance).

It's a pretty sweet deal for them and although not as good deal I get my own cost of living reduced by half.

So the whole arrangement will set up for both up with plenty of disposal income. Which enables them to save ( that will be able to support them in the event of a break up).

Ideally the would help cover the cost maintenance but I believe if a non owner starts to do that the start to get beneficiary rights in the UK (which I don't want).

I love my house. I don't want to live anywhere else for the foreseeable future and like to do the live in girlfriend thing.

Just thinking to myself if I were to find myself in a live in situation again how could I fully protect my investment (not that I've ever been burnt before).

BDDazza

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi,

I am from the UK, and I am not a solicitor.

My interpretation is if the house is paid off, your asset is protected. You are not married so she can't take the house.

Although, if she moves in she could refuse to leave and claim she lives there. If she has letters and has contributed to the household this would be easy for her to prove. Then you'll have to ask the courts to remove her.

The easiest solution is to write a lodgers agreement, not a tenancy agreement. This is because lodgers have significantly less rights than tenants. At any point you can formally give her notice (about a month). I believe after this point you can refuse them entry or change the lock.