Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Turning down a promotion to Executive.

Cejay

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been offered a promotion to a lower level Exec with my current employer which is rapidly growing. I like my current gig and I am thinking about turning it down because I'd rather remain a do'er and move towards semi retirement in my early 40's however the challenge and power are pretty exciting. The exec career path is a very demanding one, and I'd probably be working a lot more.

Ever turn down a promotion? An exec promotion? Why? What happened? Any regrets?

CJ.

Last edited:

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My job is great. It gives me lots of "me" time and it's very low stress. If I were offered a promotion to management, I would turn it down. I don't care if I get offered more money, it's not worth the added stress and workload. I'd rather live happy in my simple non-luxurious life than be miserable with nice things.

BetterCallSaul

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah this can be a tough one sometimes. Where I work now, I would not want to move into a more senior management role. Part of my personality is simply about wanting to be "in the trenches" doing the actual work rather than delegating. Some people, that's all they can do: tell others what to do. They can't even take the time to try and educate themselves on how something works that they technically oversee.

Now on the other hand if you do take it, the authority and power that comes with it to change things in a manner you think is better becomes much more realistic. One thing to recognize is that you've likely been offered this because the higher-ups like the way you think or the work you produce. Plus it's been my experience that in many organizations, management stands with management, meaning that if someone in management screws up, usually they'll circle the wagons to protect him/her because it reflects on all of management. So there is that too.

Some places if you turn them down won't offer you anything else ever again. Only you can tell us if your place is like that. Maybe you could ask them if they could modify the position to something more suited to what you want...are they flexible?

Alvafe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
well its depend on what you want, if you feel you are ok where you are right now then just turn it down, but also think after you take that promotion can you go even further? or its the top of all in your zone? maybe take the promotion keep it for a year or 2 then make your own bussiness? maybe a new carrer path if you like challenges?

its everything you can consider, but just do it what you feel like you want to do

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Think about your probability for success once you take the position. That'd be my only advice. Make sure it's conducive to future advancement. If it is, by all mean, jump out of your comfort zone and continue to grow.

A few years ago I took a promotion just to do it, without looking at the risks. It ended up not working out, so I got demoted. Now, due to my loyalty to my company, I still have a job, and I'm a little higher than I was to start with. But don't get me wrong, it takes some serious mental toughness to handle a situation like that. I am still not completely over it, and to tell you the truth, it has me in a position where I'm having to look deep down inside myself to try and discover what it is I really want to do with my life, career wise.

So in a way, it turned out for the better. Bottom line, make sure you can still motivate yourself in your current position if you decide not to take the promotion.

Cejay

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks guys. This is exactly the sort of perspective I was looking for. I'm going to let your posts sink in a bit and then I'm going to post back with answers/comments for further advice.

CJ.

Frogster

Don Juan
Reaction score
Been there. Done that.

Sometimes the next rung on the ladder isn't worth it.

logicallefty

Reaction score
Would have to be a butt load more money for me to take a promotion at my current job. I work in IT Security. Upper management is ruthless to middle and some lower management, but they seem to leave us worker bees alone.

Middle management likes to fvck with us a lot in general, but I've got myself in a position now where lower and middle management are scared of me because they know I am not intimidated by any of it and I have proven that I will take anyone on nose to nose if they try to fvck with me. One woman in middle management used to fvck with me weekly but now she treats me with the highest level of respect and takes her sociopathic frustrations out on others while leaving me alone. Also sense my pay is higher than much of lower management I think I'll stay right where I am at least until things settle down.

So where do I work, you wonder?

Here:

http://www.killingmycareer.com/the-sociopathic-business-model/

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Manager position at my workplace just opened up. My dad's been pushing me to take it, but I honestly don't want it. Of course it would be more money, but I'd be working longer hours, and I wouldn't have any Union protection. I've already built up seniority with my position, and I enjoy my job.

The only motivation I have for applying for it is to try and prevent a couple of the other bytches who work there from getting it.