Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Trying to gain alot of mass, but want to lose gut

mahon83050

Banned
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am at 6' 170 lbs. My body is decently cut except my damned abs. I have a slight gut and in order for me to look good down there I have to suck in. According to skinnyguy.net, in order to pack on quick mass, you have eat like a friggin pig. How the hell am i supposed to gain quick mass and have a flat stomach if I have to load on the calories? Right now, I do Cardio about 3x a week...about 20 minutes each time. Any input I would appreciate.

The Great Juan

Don Juan
Reaction score
If you read all the info on skinnyguy.net, you should also know that you can't pack on the mass AND stay cut at the same time. You either bulk (eat tons of calories) or cut (have a calorie defecit).

So you can either bulk now to put on muscle and put up with having some fat on you abs (don't worry, i know the feeling) and get cut after you've put on enough mass, or keep doing cardio as you're doing now to get that 6-pack, then start bulking. Of course after you bulk in both cases you will have to cut anyway so i suggest you just start bulking now (stop cardio) unless you really have alot of noticable fat you need to lose.

Once again, you cannot put on a large amount of muscle in a relatively short time without gaining some fat (and therefore lose you abs).

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd like to address this.

There is a great consensus that you can't gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.

Actually you can if you are very careful with your calorie intake level.

First off you need to determine what your maintenance calorie levels are, I'm not going to post all this info but there are plenty of sources of this info including bodybuilding.com

Everything will be based around this. You definitely need a bodyfat scale as well.

You can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. Sometimes if you just look in the mirror it is hard to tell, because as you lose fat, your arms may not measure the same as before.

Focus on cleaning up your diet. Visit calorieking.com and log what you eat. After a while you should be able to develop quite a database of the foods you eat.

I suggest you cut first, the gut is obviously bothering you. Start eating clean and start doing high intensity cardio.

Keep your lifting regimen the same, focus on increasing weights.

You can gain muscle and lose fat. It is difficult but attainable.

The Great Juan

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ricky, although you are correct in what you said, you didn't really address mahon83050's specific question. If you would just read my last sentence in my previous post:

"Once again, you cannot put on a large amount of muscle in a relatively short time without gaining some fat (and therefore lose you abs)."

As mahon83050 said, he wants to "pack on quick mass". In order to do this you need to have a large calorie surplus and you will gain bodyfat along with the muscle.

It is possible to gain muscle and still stay lean, but it takes much, much longer. Maybe too long for someone who is really skinny, for these people i suggest they go all out bulking. Once they have gained a large amount of mass, get cut up, then try to gain muscle a little slower and stay lean so you look good all year round.

wheelin&dealin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by mahon83050
Hey all,

I am at 6' 170 lbs. My body is decently cut except my damned abs. I have a slight gut and in order for me to look good down there I have to suck in. According to skinnyguy.net, in order to pack on quick mass, you have eat like a friggin pig. How the hell am i supposed to gain quick mass and have a flat stomach if I have to load on the calories? Right now, I do Cardio about 3x a week...about 20 minutes each time. Any input I would appreciate.
How do you think you're going to pack on mass quick? You don't even have a clue about bodybuilding. You should go to a bodybuilding forum and learn everything you can about lifting and diet before you make such outrageous claims.

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Guys that want to pack on mass quick are the type that don't care if half of it is fat.

I admit, I'd love to bulk up a bit, but my shoulders are what I'd like to change, they are narrow. It's pretty tough to do.

I'll have to resign myself to looking great with my shirt off, it makes for a bigger surprise that way anyways. Girls don't know I'm muscular and ripped until they see me with my shirt off!