Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Tried squats for the first time -- Had some weird pain behind my leg?

numlock

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yesterday I tried squats for the first time. I loaded a really low weight (i think 40 pounds) onto the smith machine, just so I could get used to squatting form and motion.

After doing a set of 8 reps, i was experiencing a weird pain in my inner thigh, right near the crotch, towards the hamstring. this morning, that area is slightly sore, but the pain has mostly subsided. is this a side effect of attempting squats for the first time?

also, when pressing upward, i find that my legs wobble and my knees spread ******d. is this normal? or should i focus on keeping my knees pointed straight ahead.

OddTech

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
When you say you added 40 pounds, are you saying that you added 40 pounds *on top* of the bar? If that's the case, you probably added too much weight. Your legs shouldn't wobble.

If you're starting out, always start with the bar alone to get your form correct. If you're in the gym, you should be asking people and observing how it's done. Another thing is use the ordinary power rack and not the smith machine. You'll have better control.

Your knees should be pointed straight ahead. I never had your type of soreness before. For the squat, only my gluts and quads get sore. Go back and get a spotter or a front desk worker to check out your form.

Metaphor

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Sounds like your legs aren't flexible enough to complete the movement to me. I know a lot of people will disagree with this advice, but it will be much easier to do a full ROM if you place two small plates beneath your heels. Also...doing wall squats and holding it isometrically for 30-60 seconds 2-3 times a day will get your legs stretched out.

numlock

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by OddTech
When you say you added 40 pounds, are you saying that you added 40 pounds *on top* of the bar? If that's the case, you probably added too much weight. Your legs shouldn't wobble.
The smith bar doesn't weight anything from what i understand, so the total weight was just 40 pounds even.

My legs don't shake back and forth like they're struggling, but instead my knees move ******d during the lift then come back inwards towards the end of the rep.

I wanted to use the Smith machine for my first time to just get a feel for the technique.

The soreness I have is towards the back of my leg. It feels like coming from the part of the hamstring closest to the crotch

OddTech

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Metaphor has a good tip, and I suggest you do that.

But I still think you don't need a smith. You can practice proper form without any weight (only using your own body weight). And your soreness suggest that you're not hitting the quads, which are the primary targets for squats.

Another possibility is that you're not "low enough." When you squat down, you should be low enough that your thigh is parrellel to the floor.

EDIT: when I was in college, I took a weight-lifting class (it was free) and it was the best course in college I ever had. Don't know if you are college, but you can try that.

wheelin&dealin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Grab an exercise ball and lean against a wall with it positioned on your lower back. Keep your feet shoulder width apart. Bend your knees and try to bring your a$$ as low as possible. Keep the natural arch in your back. Look straight ahead. Make sure that your knees do not go over your toes and that your heels stay in contact with the floor at all times. If your form is becomes bad at any time during the down phase, return to the start and try again.

JohnGalt

Don Juan
Reaction score
Do the squats without a smith machine. It restricts movement and robs you of muscle growth.

icepick

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by numlock
Yesterday I tried squats for the first time. I loaded a really low weight (i think 40 pounds) onto the smith machine, just so I could get used to squatting form and motion.

After doing a set of 8 reps, i was experiencing a weird pain in my inner thigh, right near the crotch, towards the hamstring. this morning, that area is slightly sore, but the pain has mostly subsided. is this a side effect of attempting squats for the first time?
Smith machines do suck, I have heard.

You would be better off to practice squatting just the bar. It may take a few times getting the form down, and you may be sore in strange places like you were. I was for the first few weeks also. One leg more sore than the other, etc.

Wait until you get the form down before you start tossing on heavy weight, and you won't have to worry too much about injury.

w&d's excercise sounds excellent for building form.

It was tough getting my back to keep from wanting to bend over.