training jujitsu and thai boxing

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I just signed up on jujitsu and thai boxing class. Both of these instructors are top UFC fighters. But the problem is that I'm not sure whether or not that means they are good teachers. The classes cost the total of $95 a month.

Now I don't have a money problem, but I have college. Jujitsu is on mon., tues., wed., friday, and sat., for 1 hour each. And thai boxing is on mon-wed, for 1 hour each except wednesday which is 2 hours.

Now problem is that is it worth it? Is it a effective self-defense? Am I wasting valuable time since i'm a undergraduate college student?

Ever since I was little even now, I get made fun of. In high school I get humiliated by bullys. 7th and 8th I get beat up. So today, I'm very insecure and lonely. I was hoping some of these self-defense classes will help me out, including going to church every Sunday (I just become a Christian)?

So is it worth learning these self-defense by UFC fighters?

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You might try one class at a time, or try taking plain boxing before thai. I have not taken either (yet) but I have found high school wrestling to be most helpful in self defense, fwiw.

About girls, have you been to several large chuches? There are many sweet young things to be found. Most of them are not so innocent once you get to know them.

WhitePimp

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Both of those styles are very good at keeping you in shape and give you a chance to get some experience fighting and learning good defense maneuvers. It does eat up a lot of time though...I started going 4 times a week, now I'm lucky if I get to go once every two weeks. I've been absent so much I've started to lose interest in it. And with school starting, plus work and my band, I have zero time to go and I'm still stuck paying 120 a month for it. If you're absolutely sure you want to do it and you have time, definitely do it. It's awesome. But if you're not going to be able to put serious time into it, you're probably not going to get much out of it. It is fun though and a great workout

undesputable

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
$95/month i dont think is something "top" UFC fighters would charge. I mean its a good price, and they might be UFC fighters, but you might want to check if they are legitimate...thats one thing you absolutly need to do.

I got into martial arts and when i started i thought that my teachers were great and they were truly top notch....but as time went on and i started learning more about fighting and going to more advanced classes, ive just come to realize that i havent learned anything for about a year. and theyre just about ****ing buisness, they dont care if you deserve to get promoted or not, they just promote you because everytime is $60.

Now I do have a legitimate place to go train boxing with a true professional trainer and a good place to go train jui jitsu with someone that has been to many tournaments and gone to brazil to learn from the top teachers....Problem is that im locked in contract and cant get out of that ****hole until my contract expires, and i cant afford to be paying in 3 places at the same time.

So if there is no contract, go ahead and do it, but if they want to get you to sign a big long contract for a couple of thousand dollars, DONT DO IT, even if you have easy or whatever monthly payments, just go by the month. So if its $95/ month you might want to go check it out at least for a month, see what you learn and if you like it.

the_afc

Don Juan
Reaction score
What do you want to do?
Do you want to learn how to defend yourself OR build your body? There are fighting styles that having muscles and/or weight is an advantage. There are some that is not!
If you want self defense, sport (like boxing or wrestling) will help you but it has rules! For example, you can't kick while boxing. So, a box fighter won't use kicks when needed because he doesn't know how! Most of the times, even in good fighting styles, when sport (and money from competitions) is involved, the true meaning is lost and you stick in the rules (I don't say always)!
Do not start learning two martial arts at the same time. You will be confused; especially if you haven't done something similar in the past (I guess you didn't). If you don't know which fits you better, learn the basics of the one and later the basics of the other. Choose the martial art you want and best fit to your style. And concentrate on it. Don’t quit sooner than a year, since the beginning is always boring. And you will also spend your money without gaining anything. Don’t expect to be best fighter very soon, since it needs A LOT of practice, I'll say 4 years :eek: !!!! If you don't want to be master of your style, is always wise to learn other styles too. It will help to notice weaknesses on you and get improved.

A famous fighter is not always the best teacher. There are many unknown who learn the art and will give more attention than the famous (most of the times won't bother to teach you anything. Their students will do it for them)

BUT ...
if you will do it just to impress anybody or hart anyone, don't do it at all. Your motivation will die much earlier than you will be able to use your skills! And probably you will be bored to death and quit, since it is something you didn't choose because you like it!

I can't help you on the prices since I don't live in US and the standards change from country to country!

If you want my opinion in fighting styles, PM me to discuss it

the_afc

Skel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Phoenix_of_the_ashes
What exactly are the names of these "top notch" UFC fighters?
ya names?