Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Toxic Soup of Plastic Debris, Twice the Size of US

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Toxic Soup of Plastic Debris, Twice the Size of US, Forms in the Pacific Ocean
by Jo Hartley, citizen journalist

(NaturalNews) It is twice the size of the continental United States, yet you cannot set foot on it. Scientists have named it "Plastic Soup", and appropriately so. Floating in the Northern Pacific Ocean lays a huge expanse of plastic refuse. This garbage patch is actually two attached areas on either side of Hawaii, known as the Western and Eastern Pacific Garbage Patches.

The Great Pacific Garbage Patch was discovered by Charles Moore, an American oceanographer, in 1997 as he was traveling between Hawaii and Los Angeles on a yacht. Taking a course usually avoided by sailors, he steered his craft through the "North Pacific gyre" (a vortex created by little wind and strong high pressure systems). Here, thousands of miles from land, he discovered and was surrounded by pieces of plastic trash day after day as he steered his yacht through the area over a week's time period. He believes there is about 100 million tons of debris floating, drifting, and swirling in the Pacific Ocean approximately 500 miles off the coast of California, stretching past the Hawaiian Islands, and extending almost to Japan.

Professor David Karl, an oceanographer at the University of Hawaii, is seeking to confirm Mr. Moore's discovery and is co-coordinating an expedition later this year to locate the garbage patch. He compares the plastic refuse to a new habitat of sorts. Translucent, it lies just below the surface of the ocean and is undetected by satellite photography. The only way it can be seen is by ships sailing through it.

Some trash that might end up in ocean gyres is biodegradable. Not so of our modern plastics, however. Plastics as old as 50 years have been recovered from the ocean. Approximately one-fifth of the plastic soup comes from trash discarded from ships and oil platforms. The remaining four-fifths come from land. It is estimated that plastic makes up 90% of all refuse floating in the ocean and the UN Environment Programme estimated recently that each square mile of ocean water contains 46,000 pieces of floating garbage.

Not only does the plastic trash pose serious risks to marine mammals and sea birds, but the filth-filled water threatens human health as well. The plastic industry is losing or spilling huge amounts of raw materials each year and much of this makes its way to the seas and oceans. These materials act as chemical sponges and attract synthetic chemicals like hydrocarbons and the pesticide DDT. It is unavoidable for these materials to enter the food chain once they exist in our oceans. Once they enter the food chain, the end of that chain is your dinner plate.

The discovery of The Great Pacific Garbage Patch led Mr. Moore to become an environmental activist. He has recently warned consumers that if we do not cut back on our use of disposable plastics, this plastic soup will likely double in size over the next ten years.

I thought it would be a good idea to spread this information. Pretty disturbing if you ask me. Here are some pics:

http://images.google.co.uk/images?c...n the pacific ocean&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Da Realist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That's pretty messed up. Seems like we'll either kill ourselves in an all out war or drowned by our own filth.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm a pretty tolerant guy, but when I see someone nonchalantly littering, I want to punch them in the face. I just don't understand people who think nothing of throwing their trash anywhere they please, especially plastic.

Luthor Rex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Whenever you lose a sock in the laundry, it ends up here.

:yes:

Levex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I bet same people that deny global warming will say this is not a big deal.

Not only will this destroy the ocean ecosystem, i wonder how much of that sh1t we ingest by eating seafood.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Levex said:
I bet same people that deny global warming will say this is not a big deal.

Not only will this destroy the ocean ecosystem, i wonder how much of that sh1t we ingest by eating seafood.
Fact is very, very few people give even any real concern to issues that don't affect them personally, and that goes way beyond environmental stuff. I don't think there are many at this point who deny outright that climate change is happening(though there's disagreements as to the cause), it's that the changes are like the frog being boiled in water. It's so gradual that nobody feels personally affected by it thus there's little motivation to change behavior. But you know what, we're all guilty. Even logging on to this site is responsible for climate change because web servers consume huge amounts of energy and require air conditions running 365 days a year to keep them cool. I was astounded when I read recently how much energy is consumed just by people collectively charging up their Ipods. Many of these people will probably point their self-righteous fingers at others as the cause for the problem. Everyone is responsible to some degree unless. I try to lesson my impact by always recycling when possible, being aware of products I buy with excess packaging that ends up eventually in the environment, not buying bottled water and drinking filtered water from the tap, use florescent bulbs, riding my bike or walking if my destination is not too far away and not using my air conditioner unless it is unbearably hot, which luckily is only a couple months out of the year. People can try and control their behavior and hopefully it will have some impact collectively.

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
funny how some people blame big corporations, as if they could exist without selling their products to people just like you.

What exactly are you prepared to give up, today, to solve a problem that will likely not affect you at all?

BudBundi

Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, ok. I get why this is a very large problem. Very large. On the plus side however, this means that most of the plastic ocean garbage is collecting in more or less the same place. Regular surface dredging could actually become a type of income stream for sailors. Net up the plastic filth, sell it back to recycling plants on the cheap, profit.

Of course, I don't know how feasible that is, since I've never sailed with 100 million tons of debris.

horaholic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If anyone could figure out a way to do that, they will be some rich people.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Here's another video that was just recently finished.. The quality of the video is something most people would think you have to pay for in some way, but this one was made for free:

http://www.youtube.com/user/homeproject?blend=2&ob=1

I won't comment on the facts that are covered in this film, but stand-alone, it's beautiful. Stunning scenes and visuals.

cheers

OzyBoy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That is pretty messed up. I never knew anything like this existed. :crazy:

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Everyone should watch the video Quicksilver posted.
Watching it inspired me to become a volunteer for my local land care group, planting trees.

I really recommend it. Gets you outside for some good exercise, sun, and you meet a bunch of new people.

ChalengeGuyFan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That citizen journalist that wrote the quoted text posted by the OP is misinformed, I believe.

This piece of news is about 1 year old and is about garbage gathered in a mass twice the size of TEXAS, not US! It's still a big figure, but we're not talking about a third of the hemisphere!

It wasn't believed to be 100% real, since only a handful of men spotted it and none had any evidence.

Those google results don't necessarily show that mass twice the size of TEXAS in the Pacific. There are other places on Earth where this sh!t happens.

Logically thinking, 2x surface of the US is a huge distortion of reality. People would have seen it from planes every day, well before it got this big.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
wolf116 said:
Everyone should watch the video Quicksilver posted.
Watching it inspired me to become a volunteer for my local land care group, planting trees.

I really recommend it. Gets you outside for some good exercise, sun, and you meet a bunch of new people.
Hey glad you liked the video dude, it's really something isn't it. You see in that video the reason why I don't eat grain-fed beef :D.

Just a little note to people who haven't seen it:

Its an hour and a half in length, its top quality both in cinematography and in Youtube video quality.

It's going to be removed from Youtube on June 14, so you might want to see it while it's still free.

Here's the link.

HOME

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quiksilver said:
Hey glad you liked the video dude, it's really something isn't it. You see in that video the reason why I don't eat grain-fed beef :D.

Just a little note to people who haven't seen it:

Its an hour and a half in length, its top quality both in cinematography and in Youtube video quality.

It's going to be removed from Youtube on June 14, so you might want to see it while it's still free.

Here's the link.

HOME
Yeah I saw it last week and decided to become a tree hugger lol. I don't even think they have grain fed beef in australia man (thats if your still here). I grew up on a normal beef farm and the cattle aren't given anything at all, they just eat grass. No hormones, steroids, or supplements.

If only people would limit themselves to 2 kids. The over population would regress which is the majour factor in all of this. Maybe the governments should pay people to get permanent birth control surgery lol.

Just a Shot Away

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quagmire911 said:
Toxic Soup of Plastic Debris, Twice the Size of US Forms in the Pacific Ocean
It's twice the size of Texas, not the United States. But disgusting nonetheless. I'm glad to see they've begun cleaning it up.

Just a Shot Away

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quagmire911 said:
Toxic Soup of Plastic Debris, Twice the Size of US Forms in the Pacific Ocean
It's twice the size of Texas, not the United States. But disgusting nonetheless. I'm glad to see they've begun cleaning it up.