Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Tough guys and dumbells

CapiCrimini

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dude... with all the kilo talks I thought SOLID was BS... but now that I hear it's only 45 pounds... thats not that outrageous...

I thought we were talking about 100-220 pounds dumbells... I was like WTF.... anyway... I'm out

CEF

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Reiki
Going slow on the negative rarely yields results in mass gains, only negative strength.

I would say that a normal rep should last around 2.5/3 secs.
Whaaaat? Going slow on the negative/eccentric motion is one of the best ways to increase mass! In fact its one of the most effective parts of the entire lifts. Eccentric training induces, increased hypertrophy of the distal portion of the muscle (english translation: muscle growth!), strengthening of the tendons
and preferential recruitment of the fast-twitch muscle fiber.

The only thing slow negatives isnt great for is increasing overall strength.

flava

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
i do hammer and dumbell curls with 65lb in each hand for 12 reps altogether. i barbell curl 125 6-8 times for 3 sets. personally im not a real bicp fan i do love tris though my fav exercise on those is skullcrushers which i can press 135 for around 6-8 reps.

Mercenary

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by CapiCrimini

I thought we were talking about 100-220 pounds dumbells... I was like WTF.... anyway.
same here... i thought it was 120lb curls he was talking about

bunk

Reaction score
I don't see what's so hard to believe about S0LID's claim. I'm 5'10" 145lbs. I could easily do 100 pound barbell.

Mercenary

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by bunk
I'm 5'10" 145lbs. I could easily do 100 pound barbell.
Dumbell, Dumbell, not Barbell... as In one handed curls...

NRM

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Mercenary, you just proved yourself wrong. Bunk was talking about Solid's claim, as in DJBen calling bullshit on it. Not about what you guys thought it was.

I don't know what DJBen was thinking or why he called BS, but he was insane to make it seem so unbelieveable to do.

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
145lbs, 5'8/9 Deadlifts 110KG max and doesnt squat. Doesnt sound like a candidate for that kind of weight.

It's isnt exactly unbelievable, but I just figured from a BBing point of view, it didnt make much sense. Theres some insane muscle imbalence going on in that body.

Jay-X

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
today i feel like reading old threads:)

i'd like to know what kind of curls these guys are talking about, since they refer to 40lbs as a really good weight

i'm just 140lbs and i probably work out less intensely than most people in here (i don't go to a gym, but i have a bench, a barbell and a couple of dumbells at home). sh1t, i don't even check my diet.
my squat never went up 75kg for 15 reps (i know it sùcks) and i often can't do it, since my spine hurts too much (same thing on deadlifts).
my bench max rep barely reaches 150lbs.

but i have no problems doing 18kg x 3 reps (which is 39,68 lbs, very close to 40) on dumbell standing curls.

is it really strange or i misunderstand what these fellas were saying?

Travis1962

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm 5'11", 175 and 43 years old. You didn't really say what kind of dumbbell curls. For hammer curls, I may do 25-30 pounds, with sets of 15, 12 and 10 decreasing weight each set. I don't focus much on the weight - I focus on the feel. That is, the squeezing or tightening of the bicep muscle itself. Really squeeze that muscle tight at the peak of contraction for each rep and focus on the negative part of the rep as well. Try varying your curls to include a variety of exercises to hit the bicep from different angles. For example, a 45 degree incline bench with your arms curling hanging down vertically will hit the upper part of the bicep more than a standing hammer curl. The preacher curl hits the lower part. Try cable curls and throw in some "Arnolds" for variety. If you're not familiar, "Arnolds" combine a seating curl transitioning to an overhead press. This can be military or incline position. This execercise takes more energy because you're moving the weight a greater distance.

torqueboxer

Don Juan
Reaction score
I have been lifting off and on for the past 13 years( started at age 13). When I was your size other kids considered me pretty strong at 14-15 ( 5'6" 140) I was at about your strength level. You are doing very well in my opinion.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Reiki
Going slow on the negative rarely yields results in mass gains, only negative strength.
Speed of the negative isn't an issue - control is.

However, if you think that curling a weight UP slowly and letting it drop down of its own accord is going to make your biceps grow then you're wrong.

madgame

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What would you real strong mofo's use for a bicep/curl workout using dumbells.

I am currently using 40 lb dumbells and doing 4 sets of 6. I am not big at all, but I have had a few cats say that was a lot and a few others try them and fail miserably.

I am not claiming to lift a ton of wait and these kids aren't jacked, but I was just wondering what others that actually lifted used and sh1t.

I am 5'11" 160lbs.

Post maybe your weight and what weight your individual dumbell would be for a decent workout.
I'm 6'3 around 200lbs and I only do barbell curls. I can curl a barbell weighing 50kg (should be 110lbs) 6 times. Thus I guess that'd be dumbells for 55lbs if they exist (I used to work out my biceps with 2 dumbells instead of 1 barbell and it was pretty much the same weight). I'm not too satisfied with my biceps yet though, still has some catching up to do with my chest and shoulders..

I think you shouldnt do 4 sets of 6 or anything, though, but use a weight that only allows you to do 6 or 8 reps. You can probably use more weight on the first set if u can do 4 sets of 6.