"You'll Never Feel READY to Walk Over"

Next Monday you'll feel more confident. After the gym you'll feel more confident. After one more drink you'll feel more confident. After you get a better haircut, a better jacket, a better job.

You've been "getting ready" for two years.

She's standing ten feet away right now. She'll be gone in four minutes. No amount of preparation will manufacture the courage that only comes from moving your feet.

Walk over. Stumble through the first sentence. Let it be clumsy. Let it be imperfect. You will feel more alive in those ten seconds than you have all month.

Read more...

Top ten things to start doing in 2021: 6 of 10.

RangerMIke

Master Don Juan
Joined
Nov 23, 2014
Messages
4,762
Reaction score
7,972
Location
USA, Louisiana
Mentor Someone: Some jobs, or just operating in a personal life, this just happens naturally. When I was an Army officer, it was always expected that you would mentor junior officers assigned under you... and I just carried this on in practice in my civilian life. If you are a parent... you might not realize that you are a 'mentor' but you are. But you should always think of parenting as mentoring. I think many people think of parenting like this... it's all responsibility for care of your children... but you should also not think of this as just responsibility, but also helping your children become successful adults.

I really don't care what you do for a living... there is someone that can benefit from your experience, so find someone you think you can help.. that you want to see succeed and start being a mentor. Why do this? Well, it keeps your skills fresh, keeps you tied in with emerging trends.... connects you with the younger generation so that you don't become one of those pathetic engineers sitting in his cubical who only gets projects for older product lines complaining about new technology. When you mentor you keep fresh, and can learn just as much from them as they learn from you. While they benefit... so do you.
 

"I just moved here from Florida."

That sentence contains at least five follow-up questions she WANTS you to ask. Where in Florida? What brought you here? How long have you been in the area? What do you miss? How does it compare to here?

She handed them to you on a silver platter. And you said, "Oh cool. I come here every week. I love this band. Ummm... pretty crowded tonight."

She smiled politely. Nodded. And never texted you back.

I was that guy for years. Talking too much. Listening too little. Panicking about my next sentence while she was literally feeding me the answers.

Then I found 22 rules that fixed the whole thing. Rule number one: shut up and listen. She'll tell you exactly what to say.

Read more...

Top