Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Top ten things to start doing in 2021: 4 of 10.

RangerMIke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Exercise: This is one of those things that really needs no explanation of importance. And really the only advice I can give about this is to be more concerned about what your body can do, and not so much about how you actually look. I know that a lot of men work out to get the perfect 'V" shape... 6 pack... etc... This is a path to obsession, or trying to achieve something that your body shape and genetics can not achieve. I've mentioned this before in another thread on this topic... But I'm 53, and I have a barrel shaped torso... there is no fvcking way I will ever be able to achieve a body builder presentation.... it's just NOT going to happen, you have to have been gifted by the universe with the proper frame.

It's all about being the best version of yourself possible, and disciplining yourself to create a work out regime that you can stick with and continue. Your diet should support your efforts to ensure you are fueled properly without putting cr@p in your body. There is PLENTY of advice on-line with work outs you can do, I can't recommend any of them because everyone is different, and it all depends on how much time and money you have to spend. It is possible to create a workout that costs you ZERO money. Many parks have jogging trails, with station work-outs, I know they during COVID a lot of these are closed off but this is a workout regime that you can actually do in your home without going outside or equipment https://www.fitveteran.com/marine-corps-daily-workout-routine/

The only other advice I will give: (1) The purpose of this isn't to get chicks (that will happen through serendipity) it should be to have a healthy body and being the best that you can be. (2) Start slow, and be patient with your progress. (3) Your workout should include STRENGTH, CARDIO, and FLEXIBILITY. Flexibility is something most dudes ignore, you should be spending just as much time with flexibility as you do with weight lifting. For me... and again I'm not recommend this because if you don't like this, you won't do it, but I practice Yoga 3 times a week for 75 minutes. That's my flexibility, If you find good instructors, you'll get you muscles warmed up properly and a nice deep stretch.

TheProspect

Reaction score
Ditto on the flexibility. It's a game changer.

People don't realize how tight their muscles are until they know what it feels like to have a real limber and flexible body, which they can kickstart the process through a sports chiro treatment, multiple deep tissue massage sessions, and perhaps some assisted fascia stretch therapy sessions as well.

Tight muscles also are often responsible for aches and pains. After starting to regularly stretch my hamstrings, for example, my lower back discomfort faded away.

If someone needs a little bit more incentive to stretch, think one's posture...

Posture affects others' first impressions of us significantly. Posture can also reflect how we feel about ourselves and the situation we find ourselves in at any given moment. Some people just naturally stand with a little better posture, but most people require some combination of muscle strengthening and muscle stretching to develop an ideal posture. Posture affects us physically and mentally, as well as others' perceptions of us.

Start stretching!

darksprezzatura

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Exercise: This is one of those things that really needs no explanation of importance. And really the only advice I can give about this is to be more concerned about what your body can do, and not so much about how you actually look. I know that a lot of men work out to get the perfect 'V" shape... 6 pack... etc... This is a path to obsession, or trying to achieve something that your body shape and genetics can not achieve. I've mentioned this before in another thread on this topic... But I'm 53, and I have a barrel shaped torso... there is no fvcking way I will ever be able to achieve a body builder presentation.... it's just NOT going to happen, you have to have been gifted by the universe with the proper frame.

It's all about being the best version of yourself possible, and disciplining yourself to create a work out regime that you can stick with and continue. Your diet should support your efforts to ensure you are fueled properly without putting cr@p in your body. There is PLENTY of advice on-line with work outs you can do, I can't recommend any of them because everyone is different, and it all depends on how much time and money you have to spend. It is possible to create a workout that costs you ZERO money. Many parks have jogging trails, with station work-outs, I know they during COVID a lot of these are closed off but this is a workout regime that you can actually do in your home without going outside or equipment https://www.fitveteran.com/marine-corps-daily-workout-routine/

The only other advice I will give: (1) The purpose of this isn't to get chicks (that will happen through serendipity) it should be to have a healthy body and being the best that you can be. (2) Start slow, and be patient with your progress. (3) Your workout should include STRENGTH, CARDIO, and FLEXIBILITY. Flexibility is something most dudes ignore, you should be spending just as much time with flexibility as you do with weight lifting. For me... and again I'm not recommend this because if you don't like this, you won't do it, but I practice Yoga 3 times a week for 75 minutes. That's my flexibility, If you find good instructors, you'll get you muscles warmed up properly and a nice deep stretch.
Great share. These kind of posts make me want to come to the forum more often.

darksprezzatura

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

People don't realize how tight their muscles are until they know what it feels like to have a real limber and flexible body, which they can kickstart the process through a sports chiro treatment, multiple deep tissue massage sessions, and perhaps some assisted fascia stretch therapy sessions as well.

Tight muscles also are often responsible for aches and pains. After starting to regularly stretch my hamstrings, for example, my lower back discomfort faded away.

If someone needs a little bit more incentive to stretch, think one's posture...

Posture affects others' first impressions of us significantly. Posture can also reflect how we feel about ourselves and the situation we find ourselves in at any given moment. Some people just naturally stand with a little better posture, but most people require some combination of muscle strengthening and muscle stretching to develop an ideal posture. Posture affects us physically and mentally, as well as others' perceptions of us.

Start stretching!
After a warmup, Mobility exercises before and after a workout have helped me avoid major injuries as I lift relatively heavy compared to most folks at the gym.

Proper stretching after the workout > before workout.

Some pros swear by saying the lots of stretching before weight lifting reduces training volume.

RangerMIke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Start stretching!
I have a friend I'll go to the gym with on occasion, the guy has big muscle mass and he gets a lot of attention from women because of this... but the guy can't even turn around to look out of his rear window when he backs out. He's like a tank, strong as hell, but he has no real mobility and little actual stamina. He's a couple years younger than me, and like it or not, your joints age, and carrying around muscle weight is just as hard on the knees as carrying fat... so he can't really run and has a hard time on a bike. He's already starting to cut back on his leg workouts because his knees are aging naturally... if he doesn't do something about his work out regime he's going to look like a rooster with little legs and a massive torso.

TheProspect

Reaction score
Some pros swear by saying the lots of stretching before weight lifting reduces training volume.
The commonly accepted order is: Warmup > Dynamic Stretching > Workout > Static Stretching

Like @RangerMIke, I do yoga. Incorporating yoga and mobility work into the order depends on what style yoga it is and what is the nature of the mobility work. Ashtanga, Hatha, and Vinyasa yoga I would probably do before I destroy my legs with heavy squats at the gym, whereas a more relaxed and static style such as Yin yoga I would reserve for after a workout.

RangerMIke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The commonly accepted order is: Warmup > Dynamic Stretching > Workout > Static Stretching

Like @RangerMIke, I do yoga. Incorporating yoga and mobility work into the order depends on what style yoga it is and what is the nature of the mobility work. Ashtanga, Hatha, and Vinyasa yoga I would probably do before I destroy my legs with heavy squats at the gym, whereas a more relaxed and static style such as Yin yoga I would reserve for after a workout.
I started practice with Vinyasa, which IMO is a good place to start, it's in a hot room, which helps flexibility and not very intense... later I moved to Baptiste, which still has hot but it's more intense, with more ab work and more of a focus on core strength. But really all are fine for just starting out.

The only thing I would NOT recommend anyone, who isn't in the best shape, starting out is Bikram... it's super hot, and very intense... but one thing I do like about it is consistency... all the practices are pretty much identical. You know exactly what you are doing and when you are doing it. Instructors can really focus on what each student is doing and assist those that need help. It is a real workout.

The other thing I would recommend is try out different instructors, especially with Vinyasa, and find ones that you like. Some are really into the spiritual aspects of Yoga, nothing wrong with that, if that's what you want, but they BS a lot and then there is chanting and instruments, personally I hate that sh1t. Too many times a dude might go to a studio and for the first time get some crazy @ss hippy burning sage, and chanting, and instruments and think it's all like that. Nope, it's not... you just got one that is more focused on the spiritual.

TheProspect

Reaction score
The other thing I would recommend is try out different instructors, especially with Vinyasa, and find ones that you like. Some are really into the spiritual aspects of Yoga, nothing wrong with that, if that's what you want, but they BS a lot and then there is chanting and instruments, personally I hate that sh1t. Too many times a dude might go to a studio and for the first time get some crazy @ss hippy burning sage, and chanting, and instruments and think it's all like that. Nope, it's not... you just got one that is more focused on the spiritual.
I actually have my 200-hours RYT certification.

You're right with your recommendation to try out different instructors -- one "bad" instructor can ruin it for you whereas a "good" instructor can make you fall in love with yoga, and the difference between them can be night and day. I use quotations because good and bad is subjective, as different people prefer different styles. To each their own.

My instructing style is also the style I prefer most when I take a class: more pragmatic than spiritual. I incorporate mindfulness and meditation into my classes, but I don't go all woo woo into the spiritual stuff. My belief is verbal instruction is important to properly and safely guide beginners through poses and transitions, especially when they can't see the instructor, so in my opinion there's no need to fluff it up with woo woo.

BMX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
fook yes petty officer...

RangerMIke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
.... one "bad" instructor can ruin it for you whereas a "good" instructor can make you fall in love with yoga, and the difference between them can be night and day.
Very true. Now there are bad all round instructors... but if you go to a studio with owners that know what they are doing... these do not last long. But what is good or bad is subjective based on what you want.

There is one instructor I like to call "the Torture Bunny". She is this bubbly, delightful, super cute and adorable early 20-something instructor. But her practices are pure hell... holding poses too long, leading the class through very difficult transitions... nothing really wrong with her flow.. so she isn't a 'bad' instructor, she knows what she is doing and really is delightful... But Jesus... I won't take her class unless I have no other choice. Lot's of people love her... and these are mostly young experienced students, without any body related limitations, that need a challenge.

In contrast my favorite instructor is just perfect for me, her classes are challenging but not impossible, and while you practice everything is fine and you can just let your mind go... after when you're sitting at your desk you can fell you actually did something.

Like you said, most of it is subjective.