Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

To go to the gym or no?

SeymourCake

Banned
Reaction score
I only have a bench + barbell, two dumbbells, a punching bag, a yoga/medicine ball, an ab wheeler, and a treadmill at home.

Should I still go to a gym because of my workout techniques are limited or do I have everything I need? Besides bench pressing, what other workouts can I do on the bench + bar bell?

Last edited:

ArcBound

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
By bench press do you mean the bench or the bench +barbell? If the latter you should be fine for a while cause you can kinda do everything, if the former, I would go to a gym.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You can deadlift. You can also do zercher squats if you deadlift the bar into position first, and front squats & overhead presses if you clean the bar first.

You should go to the gym anyway though so you have access to a squat rack & can do heavy back squats. Also, unless you have a spotter for benching you'll need a rack in case you get stuck.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Its good to have stuff at home as you can train core, do light arm work, etc.

However, for real heavy duty stuff you're gonna need a full size olympic bar w/ a nice power cage.

Do both... join a gym do your heavy shiit there, and then do your accessory work at home.

Falcon25

Banned
Reaction score
The home is for rest and relaxation, not working out. Get up and go to the gym. It will put you in a social situation and motivate you.

Forty0ztoFreedom

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
If I had enough room in my house I'd buy a rack that doubles for squats and bench, a bench, and get on Craig's List for an Olympic Bar and weights. (Some REAL good deals of CL for that). Then I'd burn my gym membership and all the annoyance it brings with a demonic glare in my eyes.

I'd never go back. It'd be heaven to just walk into another room and do my work-out right there.

PDubb75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I personally needed a gym membership to get my motivation. I have nearly everything I need for a real good workout in my basement. But I simply could not get myself to go down there. And when I would, I would just get distracted and have very unproductive workouts.

One day I got changed to go workout in the basement, sat on the couch for 5 seconds. My friend had the TV on, and next thing I knew it was 25 minutes later and I didn't have time for a full workout. I got pissed at myself, stood up, and drove to the gym to sign up right then. Best decision I've ever made. Since joining a couple months back, I now hit the gym 4-5 times per week. What helped me even more was getting a trainer once a week. I signed up for 12 sessions with him, and he has helped me put workouts together tailored to my wants/needs. Now, I feel like I go to the gym for a purpose. Not to just throw a bunch of exercises together hoping to get in shape.

Plus, as far as dumbbells go(and maybe plates), it sounds like you are very limited. You could outgrow those in 2 weeks. Then what? If you can find the motivation at home, it sounds like you will need to make some purchases. But if you ask me, joining a gym is the best solution.

I've made some friends there, get motivation seeing other people lifting more than me, and some of the girls are nice to look at :)

Forty0ztoFreedom

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I've never understood that. You can't bring yourself to walk down a flight of stairs to work-out, but you can find the motivation to get in your car and drive there?

This past Sunday this douchebag took the squat-rack for a full hour. He had his Gatorade and coffee set up like its a g*ddamn Starbucks, and between every set he'd go socialize for 10 minutes (making sure to leave his crap at the rack to mark his territory). Its that sh*t that makes me want to quit the gym and invest in my own equipment.

I'm the type that works out as quickly as possible and gets on with life. I don't want to talk to anyone, look at anyone, or most of all WAIT for anyone.

A little home-gym of my own would be a dream for me.

But hey, different strokes.

PDubb75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Forty0ztoFreedom said:
I've never understood that. You can't bring yourself to walk down a flight of stairs to work-out, but you can find the motivation to get in your car and drive there?

This past Sunday this douchebag took the squat-rack for a full hour. He had his Gatorade and coffee set up like its a g*ddamn Starbucks, and between every set he'd go socialize for 10 minutes (making sure to leave his crap at the rack to mark his territory). Its that sh*t that makes me want to quit the gym and invest in my own equipment.

I'm the type that works out as quickly as possible and gets on with life. I don't want to talk to anyone, look at anyone, or most of all WAIT for anyone.

My problem was never starting to work out. The problem was sticking with it for more than 15 minutes. At home, I would be distracted by TV, my roommate, the dog, the phone... it was endless. But once I get to the gym, there is nothing else to do there but focus on the workout. It's like I get in a different zone when I walk into the gym. I know what I'm there to do, and my mind stays there, and the distractions are gone. At home, it's completely different. For me, at least...

ArcBound

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Forty0ztoFreedom said:

When that happens you just say "Hey can I get in on this" or ask them how many sets he has left in which case he will usually offer the let you in between sets. Works 100% of the time. No one wants to be an ******* in the gym.

kentgraham10

Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi said:
I invite you to at least try out your local gym...variety is only going to help you when it comes to maximizing the benefits of your workout...The $30.00 or so monthly gym fees is well worth the value...whatever I end up paying for my lifetime gym membership fees, I've already gotten back tenfold...

...and, if you find out that you don't like the gym, then you can just cancel your membership...you'll always be able to work out from your home...

I never wait on anyone at my gym because there are at least a dozen different exercises that I'm free to choose from for any bodypart that I happen to be working...if somebody else is using the Smith machine, I simply move on to the freeweight squat rack. If the squat rack's taken, then I move on to the leg press machine...there's ALWAYS something not being used...

One of the benefits that I like about belonging to a gym is that I've become quite adept at learning to roll with the punches and make full use of my options...I always have a Plan B in effect if my first workout option is unavailable.

And, when I first joined a gym 6 years ago, I admit that I was intimidated by the peaktime crowds...but I got over that fear after a few months of hitting the gym regularly; so becoming an active member at my gym was a real confidence booster for me. I have actually befriendeds a few of those same people who I used to let intimidate me.
You bring up some great points, and the socialization factor can't be stressed enough. I know I used to be very intimidated by big, tough alpha male types but going to the gym really helps you out in this area. Now that's not really the case anymore. Overall, I have found the gyms I've gone to to be supportive or at the very least respectable places in the sense that people working out there are going to let you do your own thing.

ArcBound said:
When that happens you just say "Hey can I get in on this" or ask them how many sets he has left in which case he will usually offer the let you in between sets. Works 100% of the time. No one wants to be an ******* in the gym.
^^^
Yeah this almost always works! Only met one kid who for some reason needed access to the pullies, smith machine, and preacher bench at the same time while all he was doing was hitting on this ugly chick at the counter.

PDubb75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yep. I go to a pretty small gym, so if I go weekend mornings, or straight from work it can be pretty crowded. Even still, I wouldn't say that equipment being taken is even a negative of going to the gym. Once you start learning different exercises, you can simply move to something else without even thinking. It becomes second nature.

I've also found (kinda common sense) that I have better gaines when I have a spotter. I'm able to kick up the weight without the worry I am gonna drop it and kill myself. I have only had one guy that I've asked to be a spotter turn me down. Once I started talking to some of the guys, I got some good pointers on lesser-known exercises and form corrections that have also helped. I know it's his job to motivate me, but my trainer claims he's impressed with my gaines, and I can contribute a lot of that to the help of others on the days I go alone.

Da Realist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Why pay money for a membership and gas to get there when you already have most of what you need? I'd get a squat or power rack, some more weights, maybe some rubber mats and just work out at home. If you get a basic grasp on the techniques for certain lifts, do it in moderation, and know what to do when you're about to fail, you will probably never get injured. If people get in the way, you just have to let them know your workout time is you're time and whatever they need can wait.

SeymourCake

Banned
Reaction score
Hey guys. I've been jogging on the treadmill for 20+ minutes and lifting weights and I noticed my muscles aren't getting sore anymore the next morning I wake up. Is this normal? Are my muscles still growing?

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Your body is adjusting to the effort, its normal.

If you're scrawny your muscles are still growing, if you were large to begin with you might have lost muscle.

Rule of thumb is, the bigger you grow the less exercise you should be doing but the more intense it should be. This is because your body can only heal so fast, so you increase the time in between workouts as you put on more muscle.