"She Liked You in March. It's October Now."

Attraction runs on a clock.

She flirted for weeks. Touched your arm. Found reasons to be alone with you. And you were careful. Respectful. Waiting for the right moment.

The moment had a shelf life. It expired around month two, and by the time you asked her out, she'd quietly filed you under "little brother."

One of the hardest lessons inside the 22 Rules: women rarely wait. Interest either grows or it decays, and nothing decays it faster than a man who never moves.

Make the move while she's still inventing reasons to be near you.

Read more...

Tips from a conversationalist-- YOUR 30%

SnatchJP

Senior Don Juan
Joined
Oct 18, 2002
Messages
243
Reaction score
0
Location
A theater near you
Of course by now if you're reading this you know that the golden ratio for conversation with a girl is her doing 70% of the talking. In fact, you've probably read all about how you can get her to do just that. Asking open-ended questions, using leads from those questions to ask more questions, mirroring to be a good listener, etc., you've read a good deal about it.

Or at least I hope you have. Because if you haven't, this post will not help you much. So if you have no idea what I've been talking about up to this point, do a search on convo in the DJ bible. THEN come back here.

...okay, done? Great. Now this is the point I want to discuss: you want the girl doing 70% of the talking. That does not mean 99%, that means 70%. Which means YOU have to do 30%.

Now I know you probably think the lead questions and the occasional joke are enough, and sometimes they are. If they make up a good third of the convo, then it's fine. But usually what happens based on that strategy, is either that the girl does nearly ALL the talking, or, worse, she doesn't respond to your questions and leaves the convo dangling. This makes for uncomfortable silences (another topic that I'll get to in a minute)

So to talk, you really need to talk.

Scary, huh?

It's actually fairly simple in theory. All you need to do is reverse the convo process you usually use. Here's the 70% model we all know and love broken down:

Scenario 1: AFC and HB in convo.

AFC:So...uh... how was your weekend?
HB: Pretty good.
AFC: Good
(long pause)
AFC:so...er...what'd you do?
HB: Oh I went to concert with some freinds.
AFC: Oh. Cool.
AFC: So....
HB:...yeah?
AFC:... er...

etc. etc.

Now, Scenario 2: DJ and HB in convo

DJ: Hey, so how was your weekend?
HB: Pretty good.
DJ: Did you do anything interesting?
HB: Yeah, actually I went to a concert with some freinds.
DJ:Really? What band?

The difference here, as you know, is that the DJ picked up on each cue (eg the concert) and continued down the path, rather than just saying things like "cool" or "alright.." as the AFC would.

However, as you can probably tell, this by itself makes for some pretty flat convo. If you get in a convo like this, it means you need to excersise your 30%. The principles are the same as the 70% model, only reversed. Instead of finding leads the girls gives you to follow (like the concert), you give her a few of her own so that she'll ask about them:

Once again here are some examples:

Scene 1: AFC and HB

AFC: Yeah... so, uh... I just got back from my class camping trip.
HB: Really? How was it?
AFC: Um... it was pretty good. I had an okay time.
HB: Okay.
AFC:...
HB:...
AFC:So... how was your weekend?

etc.

Secne 2: DJ and HB

DJ: I just got back from my class camping trip.
HB: Really? How was it?
DJ: Great! We had some awesome hikes around the mountainside--
HB: Wow! Wish I'd been there! I love hiking! Were the trails any good?
DJ:Yeah, we found some beautiful spots! There was this one place with a waterfall that--
...
etc.

The key difference in what made the AFC fail and DJ succeed is that AFC only answered the question, and then stopped. The DJ on the other hand, not only answered the question, but elaborated on it, and started telling stories related to it. Its the 70% concpet in reverse: this time, instead of the DJ getting leads from the HB, he drops an obvious one for the girl to pick up on.

This skill is crucial to conversation with the ladies. Once you get good at it, you can have much more direct control over where the conversation goes.

Remember, though, this is the 30% rule for a reason, you stilll want the girl doing 70% of the talking. Just don't forget your 30%.


....what? Oh yeah, awkward pauses. Sorry, I forgot. Just a couple pointers on how to handle them, because they happen to all of us.

First of all let me tell you something important: It is not your resposibility to keep the convo going, and it's not your responsibility to fill of awkward pauses in any way. That's mutual, she should be doing as much work as you. In fact, it's a good test of interest level with some girls to see how quickly they try to fill lulls themselves.

Do not make jokes about the awkward pauses, no matter how funny you may think they are. Say nothing about anything being awkward, you'll just reinforce the fact that it is awkward. Same to saying anything about boredom. It will seem like a good idea at the time, but trust me, you'll regret it later.


That aside, if you do start getting bored and want to fill the space, there are lots of ways to do it; each to his own style really. I'll tell you a few tricks.

When things start to taper off verbally, things get boring, right? your instinct will be to fill the void with more words, like a question. This can work okay, but what I like to do more is fill the void with something physical instead. Something random. Some might challange the girl to a game of rock-paper-scissors. Some might give or demand an impromptu back rub. Me? My favorite is tickling. Especially when they are expecting it the least. It becomes a tickling duel that usually leads to some interesting kino, instead of a pause of boredom. (Just don't overdo this, it can get old)

Also, this doesn't work for everybody, but I've pulled it off before. See if you can look around, like you're looking for something to talk about, then look at her. Then just burst out laughing. I mean it, look right into her eyes, think of the funniest joke you've heard in the last three days, and burst out laughing. Don't explain, just laugh; usually she'll start laughing too. From here, you can do very weird things. ("Whaddya mean "What are you laughing at"? What are you laughing at?) This isn't reccomended for everyone, but its worth trying once to see what happens. Don't ever tell her why you were laughing; let it be a mystery. Do it right, and she'll be trying to figure it out for days.

If you do decide to fill the void with words, open ended questions are the classic way to go. they're bread and butter, and they work. Also one thing a friend of mine likes to do is that he'll tell and random story. Usually a pretty funny one, one that somehow relates to something he was thinking about at the time.

Finally, you can throw a neg-hit. If the girl has the b*tch sheild up, yawn long and loud, tell her she's boring, and walk away. ONLY do this with confident girls, insecure ones can take it personally, and you don't want that.

Good luck, slow down your speech, anunciate, and talk plenty.
 

“The 22 Rules That Flip the Script With Women… And How You Can Use Them Tonight”

Most guys accidentally kill attraction before they even speak. They assume they need a bigger bank account, a better physique, or smoother lines. They miss the point.

Female desire operates on a specific set of psychological triggers.  Break them, and you're invisible. Follow them, and you become magnetic.

I learned this the hard way. Years of freezing up. Getting friend-zoned. Watching other guys walk away with the girl I wanted. Then I discovered a set of 22 simple rules that rewired my entire approach.

Read more...

chicksrock

Master Don Juan
Joined
May 10, 2004
Messages
523
Reaction score
2
Yes, important points raised!
 

neobrood

Senior Don Juan
Joined
Jun 2, 2004
Messages
250
Reaction score
0
Location
toronto, canada
???

some questions...

================

DJ: I just got back from my class camping trip.
HB: Really? How was it?
DJ: Great! We had some awesome hikes around the mountainside--
HB: yeah... cool... um...
DJ: (*???*)

"...This can work okay, but what I like to do more is fill the void with something physical instead. ..."

HB: Hey... stop it... (*in a bad mood*)
DJ: (*???*)

"...Then just burst out laughing. I mean it, look right into her eyes, think of the funniest joke you've heard in the last three days, and burst out laughing...."

HB: (*laughs a bit*) (*then goes quiet again*)
DJ: (*???*)

"...tell her she's boring, and walk away. ONLY do this with confident girls, insecure ones can take it personally, and you don't want that...

... so... if she aint confident?

What if she's the shy type?

What if she's the insecure type?

===============================

***I think i've been in situations like this... For instance, I tried to participate in some youth group activity in the church. I talked to this shy type chick. Conversation went dead a lot of times.

Think I blew it... :(

Its harder to get the shy type to talk. Confident ones... just look at em in the eyes and say "hi", and then smile... and then they do a lot of talking...
 

SnatchJP

Senior Don Juan
Joined
Oct 18, 2002
Messages
243
Reaction score
0
Location
A theater near you
Re: ???

Okay then, some answers:

Originally posted by neobrood

DJ: I just got back from my class camping trip.
HB: Really? How was it?
DJ: Great! We had some awesome hikes around the mountainside--
HB: yeah... cool...
DJ:--Yeah, I haven't gone on anything like that in a while. Something really funny happened on the second one, you see my friend (continue with story from there.)

"...This can work okay, but what I like to do more is fill the void with something physical instead. ..."

HB: Hey... stop it... (*in a bad mood*)
DJ: What you don't like backrubs? Fine then! No more massage for you!

"...Then just burst out laughing. I mean it, look right into her eyes, think of the funniest joke you've heard in the last three days, and burst out laughing...."

HB: (*laughs a bit*) (*then goes quiet again*)
DJ: I'm,-Hehheh-... sorry-hahaha!... phew, its just that you- hehehe...
HB: wait, I WHAT?
DJ: Aw, -heheh- nothing. -heh- (smile innocently)

"...tell her she's boring, and walk away. ONLY do this with confident girls, insecure ones can take it personally, and you don't want that...
... so... if she aint confident?
Then don't do it

What if she's the shy type?
then you should concentrate on her 70%, often with shy girls, open ended questions really will make up 30% of a good convo. It'll depend on the girl.

What if she's the insecure type?
Then no neg-hits, you don't have any kind of b*tch shield to break

===============================

***I think i've been in situations like this... For instance, I tried to participate in some youth group activity in the church. I talked to this shy type chick. Conversation went dead a lot of times.

Think I blew it... :(
Not necessarily. It's true that if it went dead a lot, you could have done better, but unless she's finding excuses to leave, chances are you didn't "blow it". Practice will help you the most.


Its harder to get the shy type to talk. Confident ones... just look at em in the eyes and say "hi", and then smile... and then they do a lot of talking...
Very true, but remember, the point behnid the post is to remind you that you have 30% to cover with these girls too.

Neobrood, you're a smart guy, but you're analysing too much. Don't worry about these bad responses unless they actually happen. remember, only half of the responsibilty for the convo lies with you. Good luck!
 

Tai

Don Juan
Joined
Jan 24, 2003
Messages
125
Reaction score
0
Hey this is good! something ive been having problems with for a long time. THANKS!
 

"She's Out of Your League"

You've said it a hundred times. Maybe a thousand. And every time you say it, you train your brain to freeze the next time she walks into the room.

Leagues are a myth invented by guys who are scared of women.

She's a person. She has bad breath in the morning. She picks songs she can't sing in the shower. She overthinks her own texts.

Walk over. Say something. The league dissolves the second you open your mouth.

Read more...

neobrood

Senior Don Juan
Joined
Jun 2, 2004
Messages
250
Reaction score
0
Location
toronto, canada
Not necessarily. It's true that if it went dead a lot, you could have done better, but unless she's finding excuses to leave, chances are you didn't "blow it". Practice will help you the most.
Catholic, prayerful girls...

Of course these types are too kind and don't wanna hurt people's feelings. They find it rude to just go away in the middle of the conversation. So it was really hard to tell if she's interested or not.

--btw, I got her email (MSN)... but she wont give me her phone...

Neobrood, you're a smart guy, but you're analysing too much.
I've been obsessed with analyzing people, lately. I've been analyzing my parents, my brothers, my buddies, some chicks I see, etc...

Because I'm trying to change things and learn...

I'm analysing too much cuz I wanna learn too much...

:cool:
 

FlyGuy

Master Don Juan
Joined
Sep 6, 2002
Messages
849
Reaction score
1
Age
48
Location
Littleton, Colorado, United States
neo - seems to me you just need more "field work" and less analyzing :)
 

SnatchJP

Senior Don Juan
Joined
Oct 18, 2002
Messages
243
Reaction score
0
Location
A theater near you
Having only just graduated from high school, I ran this by the boys in the HS forum as well. They came up with some pointers that I hadn't thought of:

posted by Named

Good Stuff.

Also, if ever I go away for the weekend or out with mates, I make sure that we do at least 1 thing worth talking about to other people, so that when I tell people about my day, there is definately something to start the conversation.

I also find that it reflects badly on people when they come back from a holiday or a weekend away and say that it was boring. Fair enough if something went badly wrong, but if it happens to you then pick out the best thing from it and adapt on that. I've heard a good quote on that "accentuate the positive," god knows where it came from, but it's very good advice. It also goes for talking to someone who found something boring, if you subtely help them find the positive in it, they'll appreciate it.
posted by paraguayandj

If there is a long pause with silence, just start singing some really random song. I do that all the time. It works pretty much with everybody. The usual answer you'll get will be "What are you doing?". She will probably smile and even laugh. Don't let her interrupt you tought just keep singin your ass off. :D
posted by tooms

what i find helps to make a silent period seem shorter, and give u an extra second or two to think of somethin to say/do, is to look her in the eyes, the silence isnt as awkward, and it gives u time, of course she has to be at least minorly interested in you or on friendly terms, or she has to be a mean girl, because this can catch her off guard
I'm starting to see why older DJs still hang around the High School forum, you can learn some good stuff there!
 

Duke

Master Don Juan
Joined
Apr 16, 2003
Messages
914
Reaction score
17
Age
40
Location
Louisiana
I like the tips forum :). I also like this post. Good info. Required reading before you read this are the DJBible posts by Pimpologist and A Turtle Named Adrian.
 

SnatchJP

Senior Don Juan
Joined
Oct 18, 2002
Messages
243
Reaction score
0
Location
A theater near you
meh, my bad. I'm used to the high school forum; anything that would otherwise go in health and fitness, tips, or any other board just stays in the high school forum if it's meant for high schoolers.

I'm gonna have to start getting used to the idea of this tips forum thingy....

Mods, if you wanna move this thing, I wouldn't hold it against you.
 

"Stop Asking Your Friends What to Text Her"

Your buddy Dave has been single for three years and thinks "hey u up" is a valid strategy. Your other buddy Mike just got dumped and told you to "just be yourself."

You showed them her text. You asked them to decode the emoji. You drafted four responses and sent the screenshot to the group chat for a vote.

She's been waiting forty minutes.

Put the phone down. Stop crowdsourcing your love life. Type something that sounds like you. Hit send. Then go do literally anything else with your evening.

Read more...

Top