Time to get shredded journal ;)

Rampage1

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I have decided to start a new journal since my old one was pretty crap. My current goal is to shed of all my unwanted bodyfat until I can see my abs/have a tight stomach. 10% bodyfat would be ideal, I'd say im at about 12-13 atm. I have lost a little around my belly in this past 2 weeks so I will just keep plugging away doing what I'm doing: Basically a strength based split workout, with early morning cardio and a low carb/high protein diet.

I am about 5, 7" and am down to 150lbs. I used to be near 170 when I was bulking 2 years ago but I now realise that most of that was fat since am now stronger than I was then ;). My goal is to get ripped while getting stonger and then when I am lean enough go on another bulk only this time do it cleanly. I want to look like a spartan ;)
Todays Workout:

22 minutes brisk walk, reaching 2km, followed by 60 seconds on the 'vibrogym'.This is before ANY food in the mornings.

Back:

Weighted Pullups: bodyweight + 10 kg x 5, x 4, x 4

Dumbell Rows: 45kg (Each Arm) x 5, x 5, x 5

I could have done more of the rows but the grip was really preventing me. I have small hands and the heavy weight was struggling to keep in my grip. :( advice on how to counter this would be appreciated.

In$tinct

Don Juan
Reaction score
You need to grab a set of wrist straps to help with the grip on the heavier weights.

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Rampage1 said:
I have decided to start a new journal since my old one was pretty crap. My current goal is to shed of all my unwanted bodyfat until I can see my abs/have a tight stomach. 10% bodyfat would be ideal, I'd say im at about 12-13 atm. I have lost a little around my belly in this past 2 weeks so I will just keep plugging away doing what I'm doing: Basically a strength based split workout, with early morning cardio and a low carb/high protein diet.

I am about 5, 7" and am down to 150lbs. I used to be near 170 when I was bulking 2 years ago but I now realise that most of that was fat since am now stronger than I was then ;). My goal is to get ripped while getting stonger and then when I am lean enough go on another bulk only this time do it cleanly. I want to look like a spartan ;)
Todays Workout:

22 minutes brisk walk, reaching 2km, followed by 60 seconds on the 'vibrogym'.This is before ANY food in the mornings.

Back:

Weighted Pullups: bodyweight + 10 kg x 5, x 4, x 4

Dumbell Rows: 45kg (Each Arm) x 5, x 5, x 5

I could have done more of the rows but the grip was really preventing me. I have small hands and the heavy weight was struggling to keep in my grip. :( advice on how to counter this would be appreciated.
The Spartan look is my objective, too, sometimes I feel as I'm almost there but I'm not satisfied yet. So you're doing some strength training in the mornings right AFTER you finish cardio? What I've been doing is 25 min - 50 min (depending on which machine I get) on the stationary bike. After that I do a few sets of chin ups/ pull ups or dips. I did some horizontal cable rows at 210 pounds last Tuesday. But I don't push myself too hard, though. All I have to eat for morning cardio is a cup of green tea and an apple or orange. After I've eaten a few meals I return to the gym later in the day for strength training. How long have you been doing the morning cardio?

Rampage1

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
No, Im doing my morning cardio before any food and then I'm doing my strength training later in the day. I have been only doing the morning cardio for about 10 days..I think I am definately progressing but I think it will be another few weeks before I shed as much fat as I want to, depending on how strict I can adhere to my diet. Im trying to cut carbs out as much as possible but it's so hard because I get a sore head during the day so I just hope I can stick at it for the next few week......Short term pain for long term gain.

What about yourself, How long you been doing morning cardio? I am thinking about putting in a few extra sessions of HIIT next week in the evenings to really accelerate this.

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Rampage1 said:
No, Im doing my morning cardio before any food and then I'm doing my strength training later in the day. I have been only doing the morning cardio for about 10 days..I think I am definately progressing but I think it will be another few weeks before I shed as much fat as I want to, depending on how strict I can adhere to my diet. Im trying to cut carbs out as much as possible but it's so hard because I get a sore head during the day so I just hope I can stick at it for the next few week......Short term pain for long term gain.

What about yourself, How long you been doing morning cardio? I am thinking about putting in a few extra sessions of HIIT next week in the evenings to really accelerate this.
I've been doing this extended form of morning cardio since late January. When it warms up outside I'll get back to riding my bike in the mornings. As for cutting carbs, I did this a couple of years ago and I felt miserable for it. Of course I didn't realize that while it was happening but one day I had some candy bars. After that I started eating more candy, cereal, etc. because I had deprived myself of too many carbs. I concluded that I need to eat them in moderation. But these past few months has been difficult and my carb consumption is up to about 75 - 100 g per day on average. I should reduce it down to 50 - 60 g per day.

This is a never ending challenge, Rampage1; if you want it bad enough you're going to have to tough it out.

Last edited:

Rampage1

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement, its def not easy to eat carb free. But I am definitly noticing a difference already, I can start to see abs through my little gut so I'd say another few weeks and I'll be where I want to be. I'm naturally thin anyway so that probably helps things.

Today: Shoulders:

Dumbell Overhead Press: 27.5 kg x 3 (Each Arm) 2 Sets

Smyth Machine Overhead Press: 60 Kg x 5 (2 sets)

So there we have it. I kept the volume fairly low as I am just trying to maintain strength/muscle for the next few weeks. I was definitly no stronger than last week but then again no weaker either which is the main thing considering my calorie deficit. Now here comes the weekend, I know I shouldn't be drinking but I probably will so wish me luck sticking to my vodka and diet coke ;)

lakeshore

Don Juan
Reaction score
Rampage1 said:
putting in a few extra sessions of HIIT next week in the evenings to really accelerate this.
Most of what I read online says good things about HIIT if you want to burn fat quickly while losing the least amount of muscle in the process.

Rampage1

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Everything is going good so far, definately seem to be loosing the gut but unforuntately I am trimming down in places I didn't know I had fat too. I'm afraid I will look too skinny soon as I naturally have a slight frame. However I am maintaining if not increasing my strength with the weights so there is no way I am loosing muscle, I also am getting around 200g protein per day.

Back:

Dumbell Rows: Right Arm: 45kg x 8, x 8, x 5 Left Arm 45kg x 7, x6, x 3

Again I seemed to have grip issues here. I bought weight lifting gloves with straps on them and they helped somewhat, however I do have small hands and the take up some room on my fingers. I might just have to get straps without the gloves in the future.

Pullups: Bodyweight +10 kg x 5, x 3. + 0kg x 9

Rampage1

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Today:

Chest: 80 kg x 2, 90 kg x 3, x 2, 95kg x 1 ( didnt take it fully down to chest, form was poor). 80 kg x 2

Shoulders: Smyth Machine OH press: 60 kg x 4, x 4

I left it at that. I am very disappointed in my OH press, I can usually push out 6 reps easy but the 4 reps I did were a struggle. It was almost like someone had just added 20 kg to the bar :(. Oh well, my aim atm is just to maintain strength for the next few weeks until I am ready to start building muscle again, which in that case I will be looking to incease my strength and size. My fat is coming off very quickly, and I assume it is just to my ectomorph frame and natural state, I am still eating tones of protein, just cutting down the carbs and adding cardio.

When I am satisfied with my %bodyfat I will try to build leanly this time instead of just getting fat again!