This Is To All The Americans Out There!!

Borgia

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a guy from London who is going to be spending spring and fall semester at Texas A&M university and i have a couple of questions that i hope you will be able to help me with.

Firstly, how good is texas A&M meant to be - i couldn't help but ask that but more importantly. GIRLS !!!! - Should i expect texas to be a really conservative and religious place as i have been told becuase i assume this means that this lowers my liklihood of getting girls - also it seems that most people share a room - i (against my wishes) have been put into a shared room in a all men block - do u think its worth trying to have it changed - also, if everybody is sharing rooms !!!!

Where do u people have sex?

So to summerise

- Where do people have sex
- Is it a problem that i am in a all mens block
- How conservative are peoples attitudes there
And actually, dating is not something we really do in the UK - in the sense that u have this date then this etc then something happens - am i correct in assuming it happens there

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE respond to even some of the questions even if u don';t know them all - i am nervous and other opinions and knowledge would be great - i have never even been to the states!!!

Thanks All

marqZAL

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Texas girls are fun and easy...youll have a good time!!!

FlyGuy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Chill dude

- Where do people have sex

Anywhere they can get away with it

- Is it a problem that i am in a all mens block

Not really, just make sure you leave the mens block to hit on women :rolleyes:

- How conservative are peoples attitudes there

Never been there myself, but I'm sure you'll find that it depends on the lady.

VoodooChild

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I go to the University of Oklahoma, so I can't speak for the specifics of life at A&M, but I've been there several times. What I've seen is that the attitude of the town of College Station is more conservative, but college kids are college kids, no matter where you go, so don't worry about it. Plenty of willing chicks. I would say the atmosphere probably will be a little more conservative than you might get at OU, University of Texas, etc., but I can't imagine it'd be too bad. Borgia, if you have any questions about life in a Big XII university (the athletic conference Texas A&M is in) PM me. One big pointer, though: football is a religion. And I mean American football. Even if you're not a fan, you owe it to yourself to go to at least one game. You will be a fan by the end of it. A&M fans are some of the most die-hard crazies I've seen.

coin

Don Juan
Reaction score
As a guy who went to school at Texas... my condolences that you have to spend a WHOLE FREAKING YEAR at Texas A&M. If we're talking about hell on earth, College Station is the only place worse than the Congo.

I could go on with the jokes, but seriously...

A lot of Aggie girls are really cute. I never dated any while I was in school, but my recent oneitis was an Aggie :(

They are quite conservative, at least in terms of political philosophy. Tradition is VERY important to them, as a whole. That doesn't mean they don't want to party. My advice to you - go hang out at the Dixie Chicken and make an effort to learn the local culture. They'll respect you for it, especially you being a foreigner and all.

But you are better off going to the University of Texas than some farmer's college...

coin

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by VoodooChild
I go to the University of Oklahoma
Haha, a Sooner. The only people we hate more than Aggies :)

But Voodoo is absolutely right, Borgia. Football is a religion down here, especially at big schools like Texas, Oklahoma, or Texas A&M. Don't talk about soccer, nobody cares.

Remember, football: learn it, live it, love it.

Knicknack

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
LOL you are in for a real treat. that british accent aint gonna fly at A&M... they are the most egotistical group of kids ever. they think texas and college station are the only places on earth to live and if you don't agree you can go to hell... good luck man. you'll need it.

Mr. Delicious

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by coin

But Voodoo is absolutely right, Borgia. Football is a religion down here, especially at big schools like Texas, Oklahoma, or Texas A&M. Don't talk about soccer, nobody cares.

Remember, football: learn it, live it, love it.
Hey, i am an american at Oklahoma State and I care about soccer :) Alot of people like soccer at colleges but just because he is from england doesnt mean he does. My school seems very conservative overall but there are tons of hot slutty girls everywhere. At least your going to be in a southern state. We have all the hot american girls :D

Borgia

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for all your responses

I follow soccer but want to get to know american sports while i am out in Texas so i don't think that will be a problem - i get the impression that A&M is very conservative which doesn't sound great but it will be interesting and i knew that when i decided to join so i will wait and see.

However, i ask again for further clarification if poss, assuming that people get into relationships, if they all share rooms - where does one make out as u call it? etc?

Any other tips will be greatfully rechieved

OleRyder

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Borgia
Hello all,

I am a guy from London who is going to be spending spring and fall semester at Texas A&M university
Look at him, he wants to be an Aggie! *gag* Then again, I'm a Longhorn myself, so who am I to comment? ;-P

Heed what other posters say: football *IS* a religion - and not the *proper* football (inappropriately called "soccer"), but rather a version of rugby.

If you don't already speak Texan, remember: "y'all" is singular; "all y'all" is plural, "y'alls" is possessive...

coin

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah. Learn how to say yall.

Seriously though College Station isn't that bad. I like conservative girls myself.

But you will be doing yourself a disservice if you don't visit Austin and the University of Texas while you're here. In the immortal words of Jim Rome, "Austin is the birthplace and final resting place of everything that was, is, and ever will be cool."

VoodooChild

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by coin
Oh, just 'cause you can't beat us.... :D

But hey, look on the bright side, Simms is gone, so you all might have a chance this year!

Tripod

Don Juan
Reaction score
I can say with complete confidence that there is tons of quality tail in College Station. And "conservative" isn't quite the word I have in mind, it's more like "traditional"...oddball school traditions like not sitting down at football games and lighting ludicrously big fires that is, not "traditional" as in "eww no drinking or sex".

When you get down to it, there really isn't a great variety of stuff to do at A&M...my advice is to start acquiring a taste for alcohol. Oh wait you're British never mind lol. Having a British accent will probably be a good conversation starter, seeing as how most foreigners in Texas are either spanish speakers or middle eastern. Find some cutie and ask for directions to wherever, playing up the poor lost foreigner bit or something, lol. Also try and make friends with someone who has a reliable car and likes to take road trips to Houston or better yet Austin.

gr8one

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
GO AGGIES!!!!!!!!!

GOD-DAMMIT!!! WOOOOO YEAH!!!!!

LUCkY son of a......

HaVE fun dude.

Chicks dig accents you bloke!...lol

:cool:

Mr. Delicious

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Borgia
Thanks for all your responses

I follow soccer but want to get to know american sports while i am out in Texas so i don't think that will be a problem - i get the impression that A&M is very conservative which doesn't sound great but it will be interesting and i knew that when i decided to join so i will wait and see.

However, i ask again for further clarification if poss, assuming that people get into relationships, if they all share rooms - where does one make out as u call it? etc?

Any other tips will be greatfully rechieved
At OSU people just use their own rooms. If you dont have a roomate then you can lock your door. If you have a roomate put a sock on your door so they know not to come in. If you have a roomate that needs to be in the room at the same time most people just go ahead and do it anyway while the roomate tries to sleep.

coin

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by VoodooChild
Oh, just 'cause you can't beat us.... :D

But hey, look on the bright side, Simms is gone, so you all might have a chance this year!
You know, we've been saying that every year for the past 3. I'm a loyal Longhorn, but I'm not holding my breath.

The scariest thing is with Fran in town, we may be looking at the #3 spot in the Big 12 South alone (which incidentally is probably the toughest subconference in the entire NCAA division 1... only Baylor is a pushover).

Borgia are you paying attention??? You need to learn all this college football lingo! If you don't know what we're talking about go to www.espn.com and start reading, it will work to your advantage. ...Texas A&M has an interesting tradition. When the Aggies score, every guy that has a date to the game is supposed to kiss his girl. You know what that means, no awkward kiss-closes! You have to kiss her because those are the rules, and she will be expecting it!

If you conduct yourself well at the game (singing Aggie songs, which you will have to learn once you get there) you can take her drinking at the Dixie Chicken. After that, if she's still into you, you have a good chance of getting laid.

Borgia

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks to all

I must admit to laughing when i heard that most people do it anyway while their roommate is in - i can see i am going to have an interesting year! In England, its normal for people to have their own room. I do have a taste for alcohol :) but i need to ask - how widespread is underage drinking (i'm 20) - in england the legal age is 18 so i was preparing myself for a year of relative soberness :) not looking foward it - any reassurance out there?

Its also damm good to hear that their are some quality chicks at A&M, i guess thinking about it - with the heat then thats always a good start - in england the girls are often pale - not too good for me :) Could people please give me an idea about how good A&M is outside of American Football, like on subjects and how good is its reputation generally - how well know is it

Other then that, thanks for all your advice, it allows me a better idea of where i am going to be living for ten months in less then a month - i appreicate it !!!

Borgia

Don Juan
Reaction score
BTW

Thanks Coin, i have started reading from the site although i can't get my head round it :) Thats a great tradition and a hell of an incentive to read :)

Thanks Mate