Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Thinking of starting boot camp, but I have a few concerns

The Nietzschean

Reaction score
All:

Greetings. I'm thinking of starting the boot camp, and I'd like to introduce myself, and perhaps solicit some advice. My quickie bio is as follows...

I'm presently living in Washington, DC, and have been here about four years now. I grew up in the middle of nowhere in upstate NY (Glens Falls/Saratoga Springs region, if anyone cares to know). I went to an elite liberal arts college in the Utica region, where I majored in philosophy. You can probably guess my favorite dead German. I'm presently a contractor to a cabinet Department. The work is pretty miserable, but it pays well and the hours are nice. I really don't have many interests at the moment, but more on that later.

I've always been really shy. Painfully so. It used to be that I had a hard time even talking to people on the phone. I'm somewhat better now, but not much. I can interact with people in a workplace environment, or if we're friends. I have a difficult time talking to people I am only vaugely acquinted with, or strangers. I find it next to impossible to talk to women I don't know, or who I am attracted to. I'm pretty sure I have Avoidant Personality Disorder. I just feel really uncomfortable in unfamiliar places, and I hate loud clubs and bars. I tend to hang out in quiter, neighborhood bars, where there are regulars, you can pick a stool and actually hear youself think.

I was never very popular in school or college. Go figure, eh? I had it pretty bad for much of my life, and it's screwed me up royally. I'm sure you knew a kid in grade school who was bookish, unathletic, very quiet and no-one seemed to like him? That was me. I had few friends, and those that I did have stopped associating with me when they found out I was a social liability. This used to really bother me, but after awhile, I just got used to it. I figured they were complete jerks, and things would get better when I got to college. I was never invited to parties, women wouldn't talk to me, and life seemed to be going nowhere.

But things didn't get better. I came to college completely unprepared for the social atmosphere there. I came off as a freak, and rightfully so, because I was a freak. Some things did help, though. I wound up in a fraternity. It was the freakshow frat, but they are my brothers still (some of them, anyway, plenty of *******s there too). I was also a black belt (1st Dan) in Tae Kwon Do, and I became the assistant instructor for the college club. It was pretty cool to have a variety of students referring to me as "Mr. Nietzschean" (nope, not telling you my name) all the time. I also participated in ROTC. I really wanted to be an Army officer, but I was dropped from the program late my senior year when I developed asthma. I did, however, graduate from Army Airborne School, so at least I'm not a dirty, nasty leg.

My dating life hasn't amounted to a hill of beans. If dated probably ten women, maybe less, and the longest relationship lasted two months. I'm really terrible at meeting women, and most of the ones I went out with I met when I was staggeringly drunk, or they approached me. I admit that I don't have much self-esteem, and women can smell it. I tend to freeze up, literally, when it seems like it's time to ask a woman out. I just literally lose the power of speech and self-motility.

I made several New Years resolutions:

1. Quit smoking for good. It seems like I can quit for months, or even a couple of years, but eventually I have a truly awful day, go to a bar, and before I know it I'm hooked again. I think I can do it this time.

2. Get back in shape. In my ROTC days I was a lean, mean fighting machine. I was about 155 pounds (I stand a mere 5'5"), and could bench double that (once). I could belt out 80 pushups without breaking a sweat. I could run ten miles easy. I haven't gotten fat, but I've stopped going to the gym, and I've gained about 20 pounds. I'd say I'm still broad-shouldered, since I'm a mesomorph, but I could do better. I plan on starting a regular gym routine next week.

3. Start studying for the LSATs. It seems to me that everyone and their damn brother has a BA nowadays, so I need something more. I hate math, so an MBA is right out. Besides, I'm not the leadership type anyway, so perhaps it's for the best the ROTC didn't work out. My philosophy background should help, and I am interested in law and jurisprudence. I interned in Congress for three months, and despite what Bismarck said about the law and sausage, I really like it. I don't want to be a partner in a firm, just a soulless corporate counsel to start. Eventually, I'd like to work for an outfit that supports individual rights, like FIRE or the NRA. It wouldn't pay for squat, but that's not really important to me. I have decided to pay off all my debt, and then spring for a Princeton Review course, or similar. I can probably get decent reccomendations from some of my old philosophy professors.

4. Get back into therapy. I used to see counselors in high school and college, and it never seemed to help. I'd just sit there and drone on about how awful I felt, and nothing ever seemed to get better. I feel I owe it to myself to give it another shot.

5. Travel. I've only left the U.S. once...to go to Canada. I have a lot of Scottish ancestry on my Mom's side, so I figured doing a geneaological expedition for a week to the Highlands could be a lot of fun. Besides, I've always wanted a kilt, and I am related to 2 clans, I just have to get the documentation in order to prove it. I was also thinking Amsterdam. Hey, I like pot and absinthe...and hookers are legal! But...I figured I would be travelling alone, and getting sideways and upsidedown in a foreign country is probably an invitation to disaster.

I read though the first two weeks of lessons in the BC guide, and I have identified myself as a WBAFC. On a good day, I might be a 7. On my typical day, I'm in the 4.5-5.5 range. As I've already said, I'm short, and I'm odd-looking to boot. I honestly think I look like a muscular hobbit. I have curly hair that is wiry and never looks good, despite how I have it cut. I have a roundish baby face, and I can grow even less facial hair than Johnny Depp. If I had to pick a celebrity I most resemble, it would be William Shatner. A short Shatner. I do have some good traits. I have deep set eyes that are dark green. Female friends told me that I have an arresting gaze...when I'm not scowling. My friends also find my funny. I have a sort of Dennis Leary anger/sarcasm going, with just a dash of Rodney Dangerfield loserishness. I get a lot of laughs, when I try.

Here are my questions:

Should I start now, or maybe a little later? The first week's lesson talks a lot about having a passion for something...and...well...I don't anymore. I was mugged a few years ago, and there was really nothing I could do but hand over my wallet and hope they wouldn't stab me to death. It was a humiliating experience, and I never want to go though it again. I felt that those 8 years I studied TKD were a complete waste, since I began it to learn how to defend myself. I was tired of being bullied, and once I began lifting and TKD people just ignored me, instead of stuffing me into lockers. I really don't have any hobbies anymore, I just seem to waste my time doing nothing in particular.

It seems to me that now matter how many DJ lessons I take, if I don't have something interesting to say, I wont get very far. I've been looking around, though. I decided to give the martial arts another try, but not for self-defense, which is silly in the days of Glock-Fu anyway. I was thinking of studying Aikido, and I found an excellent school in Takoma Park, MD. I'm going to sit in on a class tomorrow, and if I like it, I plan to throw myself into it. I want to do it to learn to master myself, though. I want to delve into the meditative and philosophical aspects, and any self-defense I learn will be a bonus. Plus, it will give me something to talk about. I have a hard time with motivation. If I have a bad day at work, I'll just go home and get stoned or drunk. I need to work on that.

Does anyone have any better ideas of what I could try that would be interesting? I am fairly limited, since I don't have a car. I used to be a good writer, and many people in my family have become great amateur photographers, but that seems like an expensive hobby. I've already committed to therapy, paying off my credit cards so I can pay for the review course, and possibly Aikido, so I really won't have any disposable income left. I'd love to try skydiving, or learn to fly a light aircraft, but you can't do that in DC, and I have no way to get past the beltway.

Lastly, is the DJ bible even for me? I'm not a womanizer, and have no desire to be. The whole thing just seems so...contrived. I just would like to get my confidence up, learn some social skills, and meet that special someone. I know that sounds sappy, but I have no desire to be like some of my friends, who go on a lot of dates, bed a lot of women, but none of it ever seems to last or mean anything. I just would like to one day be married and have a kid or two. I'll be 27 very soon, and that means that I will be officially in my late 20s. My friends are starting to marry, and I don't want to be that guy who is single the rest of his life. I already lied to Mom and told her I was gay, because she seemed happier believing that over the fact that I'm just a garden-variety loser. I'm just not sure if the DJ bible is for me, if I'm even ready to start it. What do you think?

I apologize for the novella-length post. I thank you in advance for your time and consideration, and would welcome any advice you have.

So Many Ways

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I haven't done the boot camp myself, but one thing I can say is if you do something as simple as saying "hello" to women you come accross, that simple action can do a lot to boost your confidence. Just try it, it isn't hard at all. When you get used to doing that, then go to the next step and actually start conversations. See it as a process that's long term.

aluina

Reaction score
I am in much the same boat as yourself. Got Avoidant Personality Disorder and its been tough to get into mainstream dating scene. I too live here in the DC area and might recommend the following things which have helped me:
(1) Volunteer work: GreaterDCcares runs a great volunteer service for the area. You don't have to commit to a long-term project, they have lots of projects that require just a one-time comittment of a few hours on a given night. They have opportunties all over the Metro area. I find the women that do volunteer work are truly giving and compassionate souls that are duly impressed with a man that helps others. It also helps that the gender ratio is 2:1 in favor of guys!
(2) Classes as USDA: The USDA has a graduate school program, grad.usda.gov I believe, that has tons of cheap and interesting classes. I've taken classes anywhere from Swahili, comp sci, public speaking, French, and assertiveness training. All courses are pretty darn cheap, only $300 or so for a semester and meet evenings after work. Again, I like the brainy ladies and I've met some interesting lassies.
(3) DC Young Professional has tons of events as well with plenty of singles mixers. I've had so/so luck with this, but it helps keep the momentum going. Great place to practice DJ techniques.
Hope this helps, I don't ever make it out to Adams Morgan, Dupont or G-town, find it too congesting and loud to really make progress. Keep up the fight!

MrCode

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
First things first: I want you to feel good about yourself just because of the fact that you posted this here! You know what that tells me? It tells me you are ready to change and become the amazing kind of man you are very capable of becoming.

Because the very first step in making a major life change is that burning desire that comes from deep inside. Without that, most people give up way too soon, right before the real breakthroughs start to happen.

I think before you start something like the boot camp you need to get a handle on your self-esteem and confidence. Once you tackle that a lot of the social problems you are having now will just disappear.

I have four excellent books I'd like to recommend to you:
  • "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie
  • "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill
  • "Psycho-Cybernetics" by Maxwell Maltz
  • "Maximum Achievement" by Brian Tracy
The first two are from the 1930s, the third is from 1960 and the last is much newer. But it just goes to show many concepts related to success and personal relations are not all new and innovative. It just seems many of us were never taught this stuff.

If you will just go to your local library and check each of these out in turn and make a good effort to read them and better yet, apply the principles in them, you will see a big change. I would recommend getting each one for a month or so, and focus exclusively on that during that time. Read through them once to get a handle on the concepts, then read them again and apply any exercises in them (Psycho-cybernetics and Maximum Achievement both have exercises, with the other two you should try to apply the principles in them in your daily life and make them habits.)

I personally think a good effort to do the above will be more effective than therapy (and certainly a lot cheaper, allowing you to apply your hard-earned money to other goals.)

Once you have yourself feeling pretty good and on track to a better life, make another goal to complete the boot camp and then go for it. I think you will be amazed at the change in you because of it. I only did the first two weeks of it and that made a big difference. I plan to go back and finish it out in the next month or so.

I'll tell you right now, it isn't easy, but let's be honest, nothing really worth doing in life is easy, right? Of course the weird thing is that once you really apply the principles from the above books and go through the boot camp, getting together with women will seem easy and natural, because your mind will forget about any past failures and only remember your mounting successes.

We humans were designed for success, designed to make goals and achieve them, so by making yourself a goal-achieving successful person, you are just becoming what you were meant to be.

Stop fighting against nature and become who you really are!

Slickster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lastly, is the DJ bible even for me? I'm not a womanizer, and have no desire to be. The whole thing just seems so...contrived. I just would like to get my confidence up, learn some social skills, and meet that special someone. I know that sounds sappy, but I have no desire to be like some of my friends, who go on a lot of dates, bed a lot of women, but none of it ever seems to last or mean anything. I just would like to one day be married and have a kid or two. I'll be 27 very soon, and that means that I will be officially in my late 20s. My friends are starting to marry, and I don't want to be that guy who is single the rest of his life. I already lied to Mom and told her I was gay, because she seemed happier believing that over the fact that I'm just a garden-variety loser. I'm just not sure if the DJ bible is for me, if I'm even ready to start it. What do you think?
Sounds like the Boot Camp is exactly what you need. There is no better time to start than right now. There is no excuse for not doing it. The key is to stop living your life the way you have been. Really man. Tell your Mom that you are not gay right freaking now! Quit feeling sorry for yourself and get this show on the road.

I understand your position that you don't want to be a womanizer or player and that is just fine. The early stages of the BootCamp will teach you exactly what you are looking for. If you are terrified of speaking with new people then it is exactly the medicine you need.

Initially, you may have been terrified of the stuff you learned in the military or even your martial arts training. However you practiced and practiced and overcame that shyt.

Meeting strangers (men and women) is no different. Just gotta get off your butt and do it.