Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

"There are no participation trophies in real life." Yes and no.

Veréngárda

Banned
Reaction score
It is an observable fact that the people who preach against the participation trophy mentality also value qualities of tenacity and "just do(ing) it."

I suspect many such individuals are here.
Instead of asking them to explain this contradiction and receiving answers that demonstrate a lack of self-awareness I didn't even know was possible, I will simply state that it is a contradiction.

Let's be honest, if you didn't quietly give yourself "participation trophies," you wouldn't even attempt half the things you do.

One of the things I'm beginning to realize talking to successful people is that, although you need to yank (not simply pull) teeth to get them to admit it, a huge part of what keeps them going is the satisfaction in knowing that they put themselves out there at all.
---------------------------------
EDIT:
In speaking to these people, I have also been introduced to the concept of "outcome-indifference," that being the mentality of maintaining your momentum even if your attempts for results backfire.

This mentality is simply not sustainable without the rationale that effort counts.
---------------------------------
If I didn't know any better, I would say that parents who preach this anti-participation-trophy dogma are actively trying to lower their children's confidence.

But I do know better.. so I think it's just stupidity.

CoandaEffect

Don Juan
Reaction score
Well I don’t think participation trophies make much sense and yet I have tried lots of things so I guess I’m one of the people you’re talking about.

Let me try and explain by way of example. I have always wanted to play guitar and about five years ago I bought one and started taking lessons. I did this because it is something I always wanted to try, not because I thought someone might notice and give me recognition, give me the participation trophy. I’m never going to be recognized, I’m never going to be inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame, I’m never going to be Eric Clapton. But I will achieve something I wanted to achieve to my level of satisfaction.

The participation trophy implies that it’s never worth doing something for its own sake, only if someone recognizes that you did it. It’s looking for validation from others rather than validating yourself.

This is an issue with this generation, they want everyone to know what they did and praise them for it. They can go on a great vacation but unless they plaster pictures of themselves all over social media so everyone can see, they will not be happy.

Do things just for you, validate yourself, forget about being rewarded just for trying.

DonJuanjr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I believe there are participation trophies in real life... People getting promotions based on race, and gender regardless of their qualifications.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I believe there are participation trophies in real life... People getting promotions based on race, and gender regardless of their qualifications.
Yes, this happens. Also people getting college admissions not on merit but based on race and gender. I have seen instances of both not getting jobs and not getting admitted to a college happen to me due to the fact I am a White male.

This is an issue with this generation, they want everyone to know what they did and praise them for it.
Participation trophies started in elementary schools circa 1990 when the Millennials were starting to arrive in schools. Participation trophies were part of the whole emphasis on self-esteem that started in the late 1980s/early 1990s.

Now, you have a cohort of 35-40 year old Millennials who expect recognition for every little thing they've done. Many of these Millennials are also parents.

I hope the participation trophy thing died out while Gen Z was in school. Generation Alpha is starting to come up now.

Pierce Manhammer

Reaction score
My trophies sit on a triple des 2054 encrypted thumb drive. I could be a cinematographer :cool:

2Rocky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've coached kids and given Participation trophies. Believe me, they know the difference.

You like to be acknowledged for the work you do at work right....The work you are paid to do? That's a participation trophy...Your regular paycheck is a participation trophy. Promotions and Bonuses and Commissions are the real trophies if you work for someone else.

if you want to motivaye your self you ahave to break that process down into manageable steps. But don't expect anyone else to recognize what it took. recording Artists commonly say :"It took 20 years to become an overnight success"