Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

The Training Bible(Newbie's Read)

NEWBIE101

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Since I'm new and I know alot about this stuff I thought I'd make a post to help some of you guys out that don't understand some things about training since there are already sticky's on bulking and cutting.

Training
You should only be working each muscle once per week on what is called a split. If you're new, I recommend you do a full body routine twice per week to get your muscles into the habit of lifting and gain some needed size. It is a matter of preference, though. Some people who have been lifting for years like to stay with full body routines.

Generally, keep the reps between 6-10 for the best hypertrophy results, although some people like the 4-6 range.

Make sure that you are not neglecting muscle because different muscles support other muscles. For instance, your biceps get hit real hard while working your back.

If your body responds well to low volume training then you should try to do 6-9 sets for smaller bodyparts and 9-12 for larger ones. If your body responds better to higher volume then you should do 9-12 sets for smaller bodyparts and 12-15 for larger ones. However, to prevent overtraining don't train more than an hour with weights per day.

Also, if you want to gain size you need to be concentrating on the compound movements such as squats, deadlifts, rows, pullups, dips, etc. It is ok to have isolation exercises in there to, but the compound movements need to be the basis of your routine. Make sure that you're doing each set intensly with the maximum weight that you can complete your set while maintaining good form.

For a split you are hitting muscles once per week. I recommend doing a split from anywhere between 3-5 days. Here is a sample 4 day split.

Monday-Chest, Biceps
Tuesday-Legs
Wednesday-Rest
Thursday-Shoulders,Traps
Friday-Rest
Saturday-Back, Triceps
Sunday-Rest

For the full body routine, you will be hitting muscles twice per week with different exercises each day. Try to space the days out so that it's something like Monday and Thursday. Do 2 sets of 6-10 reps on each exercise. Here is a sample routine.

Monday
Squats
Leg Press
Flat Bench(DB's or Barbell)
Pullups
Military Press
Dumbell Shrugs
Dips(body upright)
Barbell Curls
Crunches

Thursday
Deadlifts(Do hyperextensions if you have a weak lower back)
Hack Squats
Calf Raises
Incline Bench(DB's or Barbell)
Bent Over Rows
Wide Grip Upright Rows
Skullcrushers(lying triceps ext.)
Hammer Curls
Leg Raises

For exercise descriptions, go here http://exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html.

As far as abs go, I say to train them once per week just like any other muscle. You need to remember that you cannot spot reduce fat and the only way you'll be able to see that six pack is from a proper cutting diet and cardio.

For cardio, if you are bulking do it once per week at low intensity for 20 minutes for health reasons. If you're cutting then do it 4-5 times per week at high intensity for 15-20 minutes.

Hope this helps you guys. If we could make this a sticky that would be great. If anyone has questions or comments then just post!

Last edited:

Zelemont

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't think I like you...

The Edge

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah..I second...You're too pompous!!!

Originally posted by Zelemont
I don't think I like you...
Provided in French and Spanish for your viewing pleasure:

Je ne vous aime pas plus non plus!!

No tengo gusto de usted más tampoco!!

The Edge ' Some have it, and some don't '

Slashco

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Yeah..I second...You're too pompous!!!

Good post Newbie101, and welcome to the board. Don't mind the useless wastes of bandwidth who can't come up with anything on their own, and so must resign themselves to sitting on the sidelines and jeering. :)

Useful link, too.

Last edited:

Zelemont

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by livin large
who bumps their own post?
Who asks for their post to be stickied?

Eternal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by NEWBIE101
For cardio, if you are bulking do it once per week at low intensity for 20 minutes for health reasons. If you're cutting then do it 4-5 times per week at high intensity for 15-20 minutes.
Why should you run if you are bulking? That takes away energy needed to move the heavy weights, according to DIESEL.

Viroid

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Who asks for their post to be stickied?
HA! :D

Hey Zelemont, where in IL are you located?

NYC Dude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Actually, the spanish translation would be something like:
"Yo no creo me gusta tu..."
Well, at least thats what my translation website says.

NEWBIE101

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
To answer you guys about bumping my own post. The reason I did it is because it got bogged all the way down and I want people to read it and noone is looking on the fourth page of threads. The reason I made the thread is because I can't tell you guys how many times I've been asked on my old board. "Can you give me a routine, that will help me gain some size and lose some fat at the same time?"

I thought it would help out alot of people who are new to weight training so I posted it. Jeez, I would think that some of you would just say thanks for the post NEWBIE101. But w/e, I will continue to keep posting my knowledge either way.

NEWBIE101

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: The Training Bible(Newbie's Read)

Originally posted by crazykid
Why should you run if you are bulking? That takes away energy needed to move the heavy weights, according to DIESEL.
If you're an ecto, it's a pain in the ass. It would just be burning off those extra calories that you're consuming and that are hard to not burn. If you're in good health and you're an ecto, then you can drop the cardio.

But if you're a meso or endo, then it's important to get the heart working a little since if your heart becomes weak you know what will happen.

The main thing is, when you're bulking. As long as you're eating more calories than you burn daily from good food sources you should be fine.

NEWBIE101

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: Yeah..I second...You're too pompous!!!

Originally posted by Slashco
Good post Newbie101, and welcome to the board. Don't mind the useless wastes of bandwidth who can't come up with anything on their own, and so must resign themselves to sitting on the sidelines and jeering. :)

Useful link, too.
Thanks bro. If you have any questions or comments feel free to post.

Zelemont

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Viroid
Hey Zelemont, where in IL are you located?
Springfield. Do you live in IL?

By the way Viroid, thanks for providing some insight about your views on vegetarianism. I dont know how or why I went that damn long without eating meat.

Viroid

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do you live in IL?

yeah, chicago suburbs.

By the way Viroid, thanks for providing some insight about your views on vegetarianism. I dont know how or why I went that damn long without eating meat.

AH HA! So youve run from the dark side and into the light? :D

How long have you been eating meat now? Notice anything? energy levels/weight gain?

Zelemont

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ive been eating meat 2-3 weeks now. I haven't really gained much, but I've gained a little. I wouldn't expect to gain alot in that period of time. My energy levels haven't really changed...

It is so nice though. I finally feel full after meals. It is so much easier.

DJ Girevik

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
What the heck kind of "training bible" is THIS? It is an ok post, but definitely not the "post to end all training posts" that you make it out to be. No sticky warranted.

For example, you forgot to tell people why some like the 4-6 rep range: because it's the best rep range for pure strength. 6-10 is better for size, but it's practically useless if you want strength, so it's only good for bodybuilders really, not for wannabe powerlifters.

Newbie tip: STAY OFF THE MACHINES. Machines will build your prime movers, but neglect the stabilizers, which increases injury risk and decreases gains in functional strength (strength that translates to something other than weightlifting). For the most functional strength and overall size gains, stay off the single-joint exercises I.E. replace curls with chins and pullups. Replace regular tricep exercises with weighted dips. For legs do squats. For back do deadlifts. For shoulders and traps do 1 hand or 2 hand military presses. An exception to the rule can go to forearm workouts though, like crush grippers and forearm curls, because the forearms are used for lots of different activities. This is good for athletes and blue collar workers who need the functional strength.

For functional strength-endurance, which is also very valuable, your best bets are odd object lifting, kettlebelling, and hanging olympic lifts (hang cleans and hang snatches). Hang cleans are great for stuff like rock climbing and wall climbing cuz they build the strength and endurance of the biceps and forearms, which are the main muscles used in this (not to mention they're great for giving you bigger and cut biceps and forearms). A good workout to try is 100 hang cleans in 15 minutes or less, with 40-60% of your powerclean max, or 100 hangsnatches with 30-40% of your powersnatch max. Kettlebelling will build strength + endurance in your back, shoulders and legs (go to www.dragondoor.com for kettlebll info). Odd object lifting is the best for the stabilizers.

For a cheap way to build muscle and get in shape, use either a metal beer keg/half keg or an 8 gallon water jug, and load and unload as needed with water or sand. Things like clean and presses, military presses (1 or 2 arm), front squats, upright rows, hang cleans, hack squats, bench press, cradle walks (cradle or hug the object to you and walk with it, good ab worker)farmer's walks, curls, tricep extensions, deadlifts (if you can get them heavy enough), swings (if the half keg is small enough for those) and whatnot can be done with those, and many of them have the added bonus of odd object lifting, so your stabilizers get worked just as well. With DIY workouts like that, who needs lame Bowflex or Totalgym?

For cardio, do only high intensity style or use kettlebells or hanging olympic lifts, but with less weight and for more reps/sets, but remember not to go too long. 20-30 minutes is good.

Heh. I got a little carried away here...

K-Daddy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Oh...sorry. I stopped reading after I read "Since I'm new and I know alot about this stuff..." Anyone who's going to have to tell me that they know a lot about this stuff isn't someone that I'm going to listen to...especially if their first post was something to the tune of "I know a lot about this, so you guys ask me whatever you want."

Let your posts do the talking, man. Don't tell us that you know a lot. You may, and that's fine, but I can't think anyone that truly knew a lot ever saying "I know a lot, so you should listen to me."