Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

The reading list you need to be a DJ

huisy

Don Juan
Reaction score
To all fellow DJ's and converting AFCs.

I have listed and reviewed my all time favorite books for giving you the tools and mindset of a true Don Juan. All of these books have equal merit for different reasons. For compactness, I've left out a lot of great books that didn't make it to the final list. I invite all of you to add any of your own that you think is particularly useful to the aspiring DJ. These books are classics, and are mostly about attitude and general approaches. These are not books with specific tips and techniques. None of them apply directly to picking up women. They are books that will make you seem more attractive, and give you the correct mindset so that you can pick up women in the way you are best at.

They are split into 3 sections:

Military Strategy - These are life manuals. They need to be read many times to be fully understood.

Power Books - Power is critically important in attracting women. Many of you would not like to admit it, or don't recognise all the types of power that you have/use. It is essential though. Women love limelight, and they love powerful men. I actually beleive it's the single most important factor. Many, I'm sure will disagree and that's fair enough, but you can't deny it is at least of Major importance.

Life Improvement books These two are the best I know of for helping you to become more likeable. It can make you the kind of person all people want to know and be around. This kind of person attracts women like you would not beleive, so I've suggested them.

I'll start out with military strategy books, because these books have a far reaching applications well beyond just dating women. In my view, the true Don Juan applies the principles in this book to all of his life, he just may of gotten the information through experience and other sources. These are must reads.

The Art of War by Sun Tzu
This book is essentially a big list of tips on military strategy. However, it's so much more than that. What is said here is applicable in so many other areas of life that it has to be read. You will have to read it several times to fully understand it and gain enough insight to apply it to other situations. This is one for the long haul. It’s worth it in the long run. If you were to make one book your manual for life, it should be this.

On War by Carl von Clausewitz
Again a book on military strategy. This one is a lot longer and heavier than the Art of War, but it's also packed with a lot of gems. Of particular note is his controversial views on how war is just a natural extension of politics. It's a very unique and convincing view. Given the current world situation, war can easily become a conversation point with anybody, and this knowledge will arm you perfectly for a discussion

The Art of War by Niccolo Machiavelli
One of the less popular books from the great man, but also very useful. Although it has the same title, it's quite different from Sun Tzu's book. It has more of a focus on the use of perceived power and reputation in military strategy. Excellent read.

What now follows is books about power. Whilst I appreciate that this is not everybody's ultimate goal, all people would like to have more power of some type (power comes in many forms). Let us not forget either that the great Henry Kissenger, when asked "How does an ugly Jew get all those women?" replied "Power is a potent aphrodisiac". There is no doubt about this. None.

The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene
This book borrows ideas from a lot of the classic power books (most of which are mentioned here), and forms 48 rules to live by to increase your power. The rules apply to gaining power in any situation, but most examples have a business focus. This is easy to absorb, and is very highly recommended. Some of the rules you may not like the sound of ("Pose as a friend, work as a spy"), and there is no doubt that this book is Amoral (note, not immoral). Some ofthe rules are also very useful in dating as well ("Always say less than necesary").

The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli
The ultimate book on Power. This book is so instrumental in shaping views on how to get power, that it coined it's own adjective (I'm sure you've heard people being accused of being "Machiavellian"). It's reputation is well earned. This book has a lot of useful stuff. Again, it's heavy reading, and you may need to read it more than once to fully understand it.

Leadership secrets of Attila the Hun by Wess Roberts
Another practical guide to power, using the famous dictator as inspiration. A good read again, with some very good rules for both power and leadership. More politically correct than the above books.

Now we go onto less cynical books about life improvement. These books are also very useful, and aim to deliver life philosophies that bring success, just as the others, but in a nicer way, and without hurting other people. My opinion is some sort of middle ground is required for a successful DJ, so arm yourself with both.

How to win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
Want everybody to like you and to be great at conversation? Read this!. Some of his main points are mentioned now and again on this site, but you have to read the book to get all the information. This book will get you more friends, and make people listen to you, but some rules go contrary to seducing a woman. This is because being a friend and being a lover are two very different things. Use this book to get lots of friends, and then use other techniques on women you want to sleep with.

The 7 habits of highly effective People by Stephen Covey
A lot of waffle in this book, but the end result is sound. Read the first and last chapter, and you've covered everything you need to know. The stuff in the middle just confirms the knowledge. Recommended because this is great for helping you acheive your goals and getting others to do things for you. In my view, it puts too much faith in other people for me to follow to the letter, but it's useful to know, and hey, some of you might not be so much of a bast*rd as me!

That's it! Read these books and start transforming your life.

huisy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thank you. Praise is always appreciated. :)

Whilst I cannot get into Pook levels of psychology, I like to give useful practical tips to complement all the good psychological posts that go here.

Lt dan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
you should get an honorary master status, haha

whatsupwiddat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That one book by Napoleon Hill is missing from your list. I forgot its name but it's great.

darkhorse

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Nice list. If you have other ones that didn't make the final cut, why don't you just simply list them without annotation? Can't hurt to have more leads.

WatchMeWalk

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I think the subject header should have been something like
"Reading list that can help a DJ."

Finding a mate is a natural biological process shared by every nonasexual species. It's only a result of living in a shame-based society that many of us are driven to treat it like a science.

huisy

Don Juan
Reaction score
To WatchmeWalk
Of course it is a natural process. The thing is, natural processes can be described by science. For those of us not blessed with the natural "Don Juan" skill set, we can learn the mindsets and attitudes required to attain that state. If we couldn't, this board wouldn't exist. To that end, these books will help you go a long way toward that goal. Going "naturally" is fine, but if that is the case for you, would you be here reading these posts? I honestly beleive that what is in these books is the skills needed to become a Don Juan. Some of us acheive the skills naturally, others observe and write about it, and some read and learn it.

To Darkhorse:
Point Conceded. The ones that didn't quite make the cut are:

The Book of 5 Rings by Miyamoto Musashi
A book on "The way of the samurai". The book does not provide practical tips on how to use your sword etc. but instead about close combat strategy e.g. best time to strike and ways to put the enemy off guard. Like Sun Tzu's book, it has far reaching implications. It's main application is techniques for competition. I've found these techniques useful al over life, but for a DJ, winning the girl when she is swarmed with guys is imortant.

100 Unorthodox Strategies by Mai-Chun Sawyer
Art of war-esque book, with more unorthodox strategies. Think of it as a "sub-manual" for The art of War

The Principles of Personal Power
whatsupwiddat's recommendation didn't make the cut because it deals more with inner self-power, not real power. It is none the less a good read, and was on my list.

Some more didn't make it to my list, but I've either forgotton the title or author (or both), and can't access my book collection currently.

Nocturnal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
you have good intentions.

however,

Originally posted by huisy
The reading list you need to be a DJ
Being a DJ requires only two things. Motivation and a goal.

The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli
The ultimate book on Power. This book is so instrumental in shaping views on how to get power, that it coined it's own adjective (I'm sure you've heard people being accused of being "Machiavellian"). It's reputation is well earned. This book has a lot of useful stuff. Again, it's heavy reading, and you may need to read it more than once to fully understand it.
Despite everyone's praise of this, it is indeed valid, but I certainly don't think that the right lifestyle lives by "use fear to influence those around you, you control their fear, not their love". Good for a monarch, not for a father or friend. And i'm sure you dont want to scare girls into dating you.

Also, Machiavelli was not machiavellian despite what people think.

How to win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
Want everybody to like you and to be great at conversation? Read this!. Some of his main points are mentioned now and again on this site, but you have to read the book to get all the information. This book will get you more friends, and make people listen to you, but some rules go contrary to seducing a woman. This is because being a friend and being a lover are two very different things. Use this book to get lots of friends, and then use other techniques on women you want to sleep with.
This book is very valid. Under one condition. You keep in mind that he says become GENUINELY interested in people's hobbies. Become GENUINELY happy to be around people. If you fake it (like force a smile) then thats coming from the whole personality ethic (you mention the 7 habits of highly effective people below, it really covers this in the beginning) which will prove unsuccessful long term.

The 7 habits of highly effective People by Stephen Covey
A lot of waffle in this book, but the end result is sound. Read the first and last chapter, and you've covered everything you need to know. The stuff in the middle just confirms the knowledge. Recommended because this is great for helping you acheive your goals and getting others to do things for you. In my view, it puts too much faith in other people for me to follow to the letter, but it's useful to know, and hey, some of you might not be so much of a bast*rd as me!
Good choice. I strongly reccomend this to anyone who feels motivated to improve.

huisy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Being a DJ requires only two things. Motivation and a goal.
It's a nice idea to cut down the essence of a DJ to one sentence, but there's no information in this. This may be for you, because you allready have the right attitude and mindset, but to say that's all you need is just wrong. Let's say I want to kill somebody and I'm very motivated to do it. I have a goal and motivation. Am I a DJ? Expand on your point, like you have on the others.

Now onto the better argued points:

Good for a monarch, not for a father or friend. And i'm sure you dont want to scare girls into dating you.
These books are about getting power, not getting girls. I tried to make it clear that power attracts women. You do not use these principles on women to scare them into dating you. You use these skills to gain power, which will make you much more attractive. With regards to Machiavelli's brutal teachings, it obviously cannot be taken literally. We are no longer in an age when you can just kill somebody if you don't like them. That's why I iterate it needs several readings. The principles are sound. You don't need to turn into an evil person to apply these principles.

Also, Machiavelli was not machiavellian despite what people think.
This is getting off the point a bit, but what the hell. Machiavelli was a courtier, who are masters in gaining political power. He slipped up during his career as a civil servant, and went to prison for it. Here, he analysed what he did wrong, and observed what he felt differed a good prince from a bad one. In that sense here was an observer of the ways of gaining power. Somebody who is "machiavellian" is somebody who is overtly power hungry, and employs his techniques. I don't think I ever got into a discussion as to the author's background, and whether he was Machiavellian. Are you trying to impress me with your knowledge of the man?? Well done - we obviously have both read his work, but this is not about who knows more about the man.

This book is very valid. Under one condition. You keep in mind that he says become GENUINELY interested in people's hobbies. Become GENUINELY happy to be around people. If you fake it (like force a smile) then thats coming from the whole personality ethic
He says that in the book. He makes a very strong point of that. What are you adding here? I'm recommending you read and follow the book. I'm not recommending you read it and don't properly follow it.

Good choice. I strongly reccomend this to anyone who feels motivated to improve.
Finally we agree! :D

Nohitme Highmnu

Don Juan
Reaction score
Nice list

I will be starting on most of those books as soon as I can... whichever of those books I find in the library first.

Reaction score
Carnegies book is gold. I also recommend checking out a book on body language and how to read it. If you can't find one of those, a police interrogation book will do well to.

You can tell what a person is thinking just by the answers they give and the positions of their body. This is good when approaching girls or questioning them about who took your last beer.

huisy

Don Juan
Reaction score
I also recommend checking out a book on body language and how to read it
You read my mind! I'm working on a post about reading body language to gauge whether what she is saying is the truth. I've read many books on the subject, and it's amazing how powerful it is. With only a bit of practice, you can be superbly good at this. Take it to an extreme level, and you can get Derren Brown levels of skill!

Mr. Mystery

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
One more to add, "Psyco Cybernetics" by Maxwell Maltz. I learned about this book from this site and have found a new peace of mind since reading this book.

I put its importance above that of "HTWF&IP" by Carnegie and above "The Prince" by Machiavelli.

Mr. Mystery

bob2007

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
all the mario puzo (author of the godfather) books will give you a typical don juan, i don't give a **** mentality. His stories truely shows the type of whims we really are.

I recommend the book fools die for starters, one of the characters is very funny and intriguing with the way he judges women.

Squy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You read my mind! I'm working on a post about reading body language to gauge whether what she is saying is the truth. I've read many books on the subject, and it's amazing how powerful it is. With only a bit of practice, you can be superbly good at this. Take it to an extreme level, and you can get Derren Brown levels of skill!
Nonverbal language, try it out guys :)

http://members.aol.com/nonverbal2/diction1.htm

Another great book not mentioned here is "Think and grow rich" by Napoleon Hill.

huisy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Interesting site! Hard to digest, but a great reference. I can just imagine somebody chatting up a woman, with their PDA on this page. "Gimmie a sec....hey...I like you too!"
:D

The Dominated1

Don Juan
Reaction score
I understand that the 48 laws of power is a book based on gaining power through manipulation and dishonesty.

The only posible application I can see for a book like this is as a defence against those who might try to use these principals against you.

I cannot see it as a reference to live your life by.

It is true that you may gain power by applying the principals, however this kind of power is built on a foundation of sand and the downfall of people who desire power through these means is predictable. The power that comes from strength of character is built on a foundation of stone and can never be taken away.

There is way too much hype for this book on this site. It sounds like a tabloid newspaper - good for a bit of a laugh, but dont take it too seriously.

Does anybody else think the same way?

Komodo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't I agree with huisy.Two books I've read Think & Grow Rich by Napoloen Hill and How to tell if your being lied to in % minutes or less.I've also learned that the book Instant Analysis is good to.
One boo that is always left out is the bible I'm not very religious but it's one of the best selling books of all time it's worth a look.