Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

The Official Newbie Dance Thread

AFK Protector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hello fellow dance grasshoppers:

I high school, we don't have many dances or social events, and those of us who pass them up will have little to no experience. Therefore, I'd like to start this thread with names of songs they frequently play and wtf you're supposed to do so you don't look like a newb.

Let the juking begin.

I'll start this off with what eternal said:

Step in the name of love by R Kelly.

DL it, you gotta do some left, right, left side, right side, twirl, squat, and jump or something like that..

Let's face it guys. If you KNOW what to do, then you're automatically more confident when you're out there and you'll feel freer. I WANT THIS F-ING THREAD TO BE A SUCCESS. HELP ME AND EVERYONE ELSE WITH DANCING ISSUES OUT.

OLDER DJS: Your expertise would be greatly appreciated too.

jonny football hero

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Not a bad idea.....but how can we convey the correct moves without seeing the actual, moves?

AFK Protector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Descriptions, my friend. Plus, if they get us the song names, I'm sure us keyboard jockeys can google for some good info, or simply ask on the dance floor.

It's much better to at least know what song you're dancing to.

I remember right after I started looking good something funny happened. A slow dance started, and I was like, "aww it's just gonna be like the other years while I'm a wall flower and watch." So I start to leave and this girl is like, "hi, I've been watching you all night, wanna dance?"

so I said, "sure"

And we started dancing, I pulled her in a little after it got kinda hot and her head was on my chest. So she goes, "I love this song. It's my favorite." And I'm thinking, "sh1t what's it called." so I just say, "yeah, I guess it's ok" she says, "oh what other ones do you like," and I was like, "shh, justdance"

LOL yeah. I felt like I was in deep sh1t then, but yeah. THE OFFICIAL DANCE THREAD LET'S DO THIS.

xpertsc

Reaction score
i was just about to make a post asking about this lol
hopefully this helps

Wonderbread166

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Right heel in front, touch your foot, right heel in back, touch your foot. Sidestep, sidestep, sidestep, clap, sidestep, spin it around, and clap. Repeat.

That's right. Cotton-Eyed Joe, baby!:D

wcknightjr

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by wcknightjr

So here's what you do, broken down, for all you guys goin stag or for some reason you aren't with your date:

1) Walk around the dancefloor looking for a chick dancing by herself (or even with her friends!;) ). Male sure ur not with your buddies either; they'll just slow you down.

2) Get behind that ass (gently guiding her waste with your hands). Here you might want to ask if she wants to dance (she prolly won't say no, but it's good form anyways)

3) Keep your hips in sync with hers and just relax, try to keep the contact as much as possible, and maybe put a slight thrusting motion into it (not too much!). Remember to keep your feet shuffling around a little bit, but don't let her push you back too much (the freaky one's do that more :D ) You can alternate having both hands on her waste, one hand off, etc. Once you get comfortable with your hands, you can move them down a little bit, again not too much or you might have this encounter cut short with painful consequences.

4) Don't worry too much about that chub. If you can help it, try to get it facing up towards your stomach, but if not don't worry you might turn her on more.

5) Exchange names. You want to have rapport if you want to talk to her later. Simpler is better since you prolly won't be able to hear each other very well.

From there it's up to you. Your job is to repeat this as many times as possible at every dance you can (unless you have a date that wants to grind all night). When you get back to school pay attention to if any of these girls gives you any kind of a look. If you get that look...GO FOR IT. GREEN LIGHT DING DING!!
This is from my tips on homecoming, kinda late for you guys goin tonite though.

Microphone Fiend

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Alright find some friends that dance or a local group. Join a class if you must, but DO IT WITH SOMEONE ELSE. I went 2 a website and they had videos and stuff, but i kicked it with some bboys 2day in the hallway and they taught me stuff, showed where I was gonig wrong and allowed me to learn new tricks that can only be shown in person.

I can send you a link for the basics of popping for those really interested, just PM ME! (For people wanting to learn how to dance to to express not impress)

Here are the two songs I hear in the club where i go (Rap/R&B/Dancehall)

Go DJ - Lil Wayne - C-walk to it, kinda a three step and just repeat. The eastside stomp will work too. U just shake ya foot and stomp on the final beat. Lil John and all the southern rappers do it.

Drop it like it's hot - Pop - You can do that "car driving thing" they do in the video when he says "park it like it's hot" Since it is eastcoast you can drop a lil c-walk in, and you can tense your muscles for every time Pharrell makes the clicking noises with his mouth (this is called hitting) You can footglide or moonwalk when Pharrell goes "OOOooooooooooooohhh" during the chorus.

Dancehall songs - Dancehall moves - Aight these are dead easy and most are played at least once during your average party. They are all easy to learn and is like a simon sez kinda thing so you can't go wrong with it. Watch the Nina Sky video, Beenie Man video, and any Elephant man videos. Usually it is thunderclap which is just one arm extended str8 ahead of u, and the 2nd one coming from the shoulder and smacking into it (watch a video you'll understand... type in "Move Ya Body" in launch.com, or windowsmedia.com

Just make sure you are going to the rhytmn, the wackest move will look alright if you are to the rhythmn, but the dopest thing will look sub par if you can't go to the beat.

One

idiot_boyfriend

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Move with the bass lines.

....thank you "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy". :D

Poppin' Tags

Don Juan
Reaction score
How the hell are you going to use a dance routine at a school dance? Maybe it works different outside of the midwest, but I think it would just look goofy.

I think it is best to just do something simple... no routine to it... just move your body. Like idiot boyfriend said, move to the bass (wait, does that work? dont you move to the drum beat?). I learned by watching myself in a mirror and just trying. It is much better to look a little goofy while having fun with it (if it isnt fun why do it?) than to stand in a corner or to memorize a dance.

And not all dancing is either slow dancing or grinding, theres regular fast dancing... I dont really get grinding (I'm not much of an exhibitionist)

aBAzLLnA

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Try searching for some of the dance threads. There are a lotta good ones...

Bombshell

Don Juan
Reaction score
You all worry about dancing way too much. There is nothing to it. I have never taken lessons and I was about first or second best dancer at homecomming to songs I never even heard before and despised. (im into heavy metal) Just be confident when you dance it doesnt matter if you mess up there is no right way to do it. Loose the p**** dancing afc mindset and just go have fun and grind some chicks, and for the songs with specific moves to them just do your best to follow along and if you screw up just laugh it off. If you dance in rythm with everyone else you wont get noticed anyway =)

So again just act confident/dominate on the floor and you will own the floor. Just do what feels natural.

I could rant for hours on this but it really is a lot easier than you guys make it out to be. Girls like the confidence you have when you dance not whether you have the perfect moves that goes along exactly to the beat...

wcknightjr

Don Juan
Reaction score
Like idiot boyfriend said, move to the bass (wait, does that work? dont you move to the drum beat?)
typically the bass guitar follows the same beat as the Bass drum, so they're usually one in the same

Enigma2517

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah I agree with Bombshell...just seriously go nuts and u'll be fine. Although maybe a few verrry basic techniques wouldn't hurt. If you want to memorize an entire dance routine then be my guest but I personally think that looks kinda goofy. Just learn a few simple things and incorporate them into your whole groove. Improv the rest.

Find out what songs are popular, download the mp3s, or get the CD, or whatever. Pop it in, and really try to get into it. Dance by urself alone in your house. Haha silly I know. Maybe you should get high before you do it ;)

TonyTheTigerOI

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
HIGH SCHOOL DANCES

Your social status is determined, often enough, by your actions at a handful of public events. Click circles are forged and broken on the dance-floor/gym-floor.

Why Tony?

Simply enough – HSers are immature and especially insecure. Deciding who is cool, who is hot, and who to reject are all choices kids do not want to make alone. They cant handle the mental responsibility. However, when in groups, each person makes a partial decision about the newcomer and collectively [through a sum of many half-formulated opinions] a verdict is reached.

So any function where the entire school (or the majority of the “fun” kids) are present allows groups of kids to reach decisions quickly and act accordingly. Dances are no exception… they are a perfect example.

Before we begin, you should understand a few things:

Dance clubs are the HARDEST venue to cold approach. Dance clubs are the BEST place to warm approach [I just made that up]. A cold approach is any initiation by a pick up artist to seduce a target. A warm approach is an attempt to seduce after you already have a foundation of interest and rapport (you have cold approached her already, she remembers you and is interested).

Why again, Tony?

If you were a tipsy woman in a 100 dollar halter and 200 dollar jeans would you feel comfortable with a drunken man in an ugly pink polo putting his crotch on your ass – even if hes got rhythm? I didn’t think so. Even worse, what if he was the tenth loser to try? Thats just frustrating. BUT! You met this CUTE guy on campus last Monday and you havent had a chance to talk to him again. But you think he likes you. If HE was here... youd shake your ass and HOPE he got the message – and hope hes got some rhythm.

Clubs are great for partying with a circle of acquaintances on a Saturday night... they are a perfect opportunity to get physical with the all the girls youve met, but havent dated.

BUT THIS IS A GYM FLOOR – AND THERE ISNT A BAR ACROSS FROM THE DJ!!! That just makes things harder. High school dances are TOUGH first approaches, but EASY kiss closes on girls who you have already begun to seduce.

Ok, so what the hell am I supposed to accomplish, Tony?

FIELD REPORT TIME =)

I had agreed to take a family friend to her homecoming dance. I dressed to impress, so did she. There was a 30 minute wait to get in, and I talked to EVERYONE around me in line. I got into the dance and mingled for an hour. My date and I walked to EVERY click circle where we knew ONE person or more, said hello, then introduced ourselves to everyone else in the circle. Chit chat, say its been fun, leave, and repeat. More and more people began to dance so I grabbed my date, stood by a circle where people were particularly friendly and were already dancing. I half danced for a moment, looked into my dates eyes and held out my hand. She took my hand and I pulled her to me – we grinded for a few songs. Im not a spectacular dancer by ANY means. BUT I was smiling and having fun, so was my date. All the girls in that circle took notice. After 3 songs of dancing non stop I took a step from my date, fanned myself jokingly, and then [again, as a joke] fanned a girl who was dancing in the circle by herself. She smiled, I held out my hand and moved my fingers as if to say “C’mere!” She took my hand, and I pulled her to me... I danced without touching her body with mine for half a song... holding her hand lightly with mine. Still smiling, I yelled my name @ the top of my lungs. She pulled me to her and said her name... we danced w/o a smidgen of daylight in-between us for the rest of the song. I turned to some guy from another near by group and motioned for him to dance with my date – he was grateful.

I told the new girl it was nice to meet her, fanned her off again, and wrapped my arm around my date and walked her away from the guy she was with to another circle. When I started dancing this time she was ALL OVER ME. The fact that the other girl from the circle liked me made her want me all the more. She ran her fingers through my hair and looked into my eyes as we danced. After 2 songs I simply made eye contact with a different girl [who was dancing with a guy, her ass on his crotch]. I took a few steps from my date and put MY ASS ON HER CROTCH and danced like a girl, running my fingers thru my own hair an shaaaking what my momma gave me. She had seen how my date was dancing with me – instantly she was interested. So what did she do? SHE SPANKED ME!!! I looked back with my hand over my mouth like “O MY GAWD!” She burst out laughing, I grabbed her and pulled her away from the guy she was dancing with. There was no chivalry period this time... she rode my leg like a fvckin mechanical bull. After I realized this girl was SUPER interested I motioned to the guy she WAS with to grab my date. He didnt get it. So I pulled my date over to him, winked, and turned back to the new girl. After 2 songs of grinding HARD a slow song came on. Instead of being a shmuk and treating a slow song seriously with some girl I JUST MET I simply took a few steps back, held out my hand, and danced with a good 12 inches in-between us. It was too funny. When her laugh turned into a smile with eye contact I slowed the dancing [skipped every other beat] and kissed her.

My date was jealous, but she was a friend of the family so she knew nothing was gonna happen anyways. I made out with the girl for 2 consecutive slow songs, took her to the bleachers and made out for another 2 songs, got her #, found my date, and repeated the whole process again.

I did this last year, I was 16 y/o and if I can do that... you can pull the girl from science class, believe me!

TONY, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, HOW DO I DO THAT!?

Talk to people the week of the dance. What time does it start? What will people be wearing? What kind of music is played? Are people from other schools aloud in?

Usually dances start at 8 and end at eleven on Friday nights. Popular people wear clothes just a little nicer than what they wear to school – upper tier A+F, louder colors/combinations. DJs play whatever is top 40 with a beat. Right now its Rap or Mixed R/B. There is usually 1 slow song an hour and another slow song at the very end. Also, DJs will throw in a “good times” song, like an oldie, just for fun. Most schools allow kids with ID from other schools in.

If you have popular friends, talk them into going. If your friends will hold you down DO NOT BRING THEM. It is very easy to get rapport with GUYS at dances because they are all distracted by the girls.

Find something to wear. Make sure it fits correctly. Dont wear what everyone else is wearing – try and stand out. Its better to dress up than dress down. A dress shirt [button up shirt] with a stiff collar and nice jeans or even slacks is great. If you own a peacocking shirt – WEAR IT! Something that is so LOUD that everyone will take notice. For example, I have a black mesh shirt with pink inserts in the front. I also have a reflective red tight fitting shirt with white stripes on the sleeves that is great under backlights. DO NOT WEAR A SCRUFFY A+F POLO AND RUFFLED CARGO PANTS. DO NOT WEAR A JERSEY/JEANS 10 SIZES TOO BIG.

Use a lot of deodorant [unscented] with an informal cologne. Armani Mania is PERFECT. When you do your hair use mostly water and gel... waxes will run HORRIBLY as soon as you sweat. Make sure and have comfortable shoes on. Have as little as possible in your pockets. Wallet, keys, cell, 2 quarters and condoms. Leave one pocket for PAPER TOWELS [ 3-4 folded up to get rid of sweat when youre dancing hard with the girl from science class]. Baby powder on your ass/crotch helps control sweat.

Before you leave... put some ****ing music on! Get in the mood to dance – close the door and dance by yourself. You do not have to be a good dancer to get girls. You have to be comfortable enough with yourself to have fun dancing.

When you arrive – take advantage of the line to get in. Talk to everyone you know. Remember, cold approaches on the dance floor are HARD, so make a few approaches outside to get warmed up. If your lucky you will make a smooth approach on the way into the dance and you can just grab THAT girl and dance with her a little later.

Your social standing is at stake – so NEVER look like you are bored, not having fun, or rejected. Once you are inside find people you know... talk to them about ANYTHING. Once conversation has peaked [even with guys] exit the convo and find other people you know. You are developing connections you can use for social proof later.
Spend a few minutes in the cafe, get something to drink and be friendly with the staff. If your going to make a cold approach... youre better off making it off the dance floor – so go for it. Take a minute to recollect yourself in the bathroom, make sure ur lookin good [wipe sweat, tuck in shirt if nessesary].

Once the dance is underway and people are having fun dancing – find a circle of guys who you are particularly cool with. Its time to warm up those dancing shoes! Warm approach some toss aways... look for the closes 6.5-7.0 you know that is dancing, but not with a guy. “Heyyy, whats up!?” No matter what she says, as long as she doesnt blow you off, hold out your hand and make the “C’mere” motion as you begin to dance. If she doesnt shake her head “no” then step close and dance with her for one song. If she rejects you – man... its a ****ing 6.5-7.0, you werent gonna **** her anyways. Find another one and rock it till you get a full song of dancing in with a girl.

TonyTheTigerOI

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Once your warm move up the warm approach ladder. Find another 7.0 you know and dance with her [or keep the same warm up girl] and move her to a circle where girls you know, who are in the 7-8.0s range. Dance with your buffer [warm up girl/7.0] by the 7-8.0s After one song start to make eye contact with the girl you know and want to dance with. If she isnt looking, then yell “Hey <hername> whats up!?” with a smile. After you have got her attention, while the songs are changing, motion for her to come to you with a wave. Give your girl a squeeze [love handle/upper arm/shoulder] and a grin, and move to the next girl.

Continue with this process untill you have danced with the hottest girl you have already got rapport with [or gotten rejected by her, or seen she is already with a guy]. This hole process takes from 30 min to an hr, depending on how many average looking girls you already know who are at the dance.

Go take a break... tell the girl you are with you are gonna get a drink, give her a squeeze, and walk to the cafe. Get your drink [or use the fountain... cheapass]. Are there any hotties? GO APPROACH THEM – ITLL BE EASIER THAN DOING ON THE DANCE FLOOR! Got that taken care of? Go to the bathroom and clean up. Get as pretty as possible, you sweaty dancing machine you!

Walk back to the floor. Its cold approach time. Find some guys by some hot girls youd like to approach/dance with. Walk up... “hey fellas whats up!” to the guys, then shoot a look to the hot girls dancing. Find a girl you already danced with, grab her, and dance in-between the guys and the hot girls. Make sure your smiling and having fun. The guys will see you are down with the girls... and the girls will take notice too. Tell the girl your with shes outa control and you need a break... fan yourself/her as a joke. Turn to the guys for some BS dance floor conversation... “Now... where do u think they learned to do that? [point to seductive dance move]” or “Jesus these girls are CRAZY... they’re like wild animals! [point to yourself all sweaty, like ‘yeah Ive been dancing all night]. They will just laugh and nod. Introduce yourself, shake their hands. They will be too preoccupied with watching girls to judge how cool you are. Just be smiling and energetic – BOOM – youre in the circle. As soon as you are standing with/talking to the cool guys chilling by the hot girls you are cleared to approach them. Start your approach ladder again, only this time you want to do it all in the same circle. Find the ugliest [but not fat!] girl dancing without a guy and search for eye contact. When you get it, turn to the guys and say “time to go!” just GRAB HER AND DANCE. Dont have too much body contact, but dance WITH HER. This allows all the girls in the circle to get comfortable with you – they are probably sober so it may take a song or so. After you think they are comfortable with you [the circle isnt moving too far from you, and the girl isnt turning away] then start grinding with the girl. HAVE FUN – you successfully cold approached in a ridiculously hard venue!

All the guys will be envious [they all want to be dancing, even if its only with 7s], and the girls will notice. Look for eye contact with the hotter girls in the circle. Transition from one to the other as you did before.

It is VERY important to deal with rejection correctly. When you wave for a girl to come to you, and she shakes her head, just smile and talk to the guys for a minute, then find another girl.

When slow songs come on – if you have been grinding with a girl for more than 2 full songs then she will probably just dance with you. Assume she will, just turn her to face you, hold out your hand jokingly, and begin to dance. This is a great time to talk bout something silly... school, something that append earlier at the dance, the football game. If she is holding eye contact and pulling you close... KISS HER. As long as she is AS HOT as you [your hotness on a scale 1-10] it will only help your social proof and approaches for the night.

TonyTheTigerOI

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you have not been dancing for a long time then let her make the move, she’ll either just start slow dancing with you, stop dancing and look @ u and wait to see if you want to slow dance, or she will exit the situation. ALWAYS try and dance during slow dances. Grab girls you danced with earlier in the night. Have fun with it, be talking and smiling and GIRLS WILL NOTICE... and next slow dance when hold out your hand to dance they will be MORE THAN WILLING.

Always request a song. Everyone has a favorite dance song. Whatever song you like to dance at home in your room to... ask for it to be played as soon as you are done socializing and start dancing. If you LOVE the music, it shows in your dancing and mood – and it allows you to be more comfortable in your approach.

If you kiss a girl during a slow dance keep dancing with her for the next song NO MATTER WHAT. This affirms her attraction and makes it so you can dance with her at any time for the rest of the night. Do not try and kiss while your fast dancing unless you are really good, lol, it can get sloppy. ALSO – if you actually FAST DANCE instead of skipping beats after youve made out with a girl you score MAJOR points because you are letting her know that youve done this before... you are THE MAN... and shes gonna need to be especially sexy to hold your lips at attention. Having one thin girl who can dance on the floor totally into you is UNBELIEVABLY effective for social proof in cold approaches.

Well this is unbelievably long and poorly broken down. Sorry guys, but this was MY WARMUP post :p Yeah, I said it... this post was me grinding with a 6.9 untill something better walks on by! If you get anything from this post...

Dances are not easy
If you have fun all night, it doesn’t matter how many #s you got
If you had fun all night, you will get #s =)
Being patient pays off on the dance floor... build your social proof before you try the big approaches, it pays off!

check_mate_kid_uk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by AFK Protector
Descriptions, my friend. Plus, if they get us the song names, I'm sure us keyboard jockeys can google for some good info, or simply ask on the dance floor.

It's much better to at least know what song you're dancing to.

I remember right after I started looking good something funny happened. A slow dance started, and I was like, "aww it's just gonna be like the other years while I'm a wall flower and watch." So I start to leave and this girl is like, "hi, I've been watching you all night, wanna dance?"

so I said, "sure"

And we started dancing, I pulled her in a little after it got kinda hot and her head was on my chest. So she goes, "I love this song. It's my favorite." And I'm thinking, "sh1t what's it called." so I just say, "yeah, I guess it's ok" she says, "oh what other ones do you like," and I was like, "shh, justdance"

LOL yeah. I felt like I was in deep sh1t then, but yeah. THE OFFICIAL DANCE THREAD LET'S DO THIS.
same here, no girls ever asked me to dance, eventually after several discos i asked a few girls and the third one said yes.

the discos where year 7 to year 10, in year 11 where i improved most there where no discos for our year, i was helping out at a disco at the end of the year, and i was walking across the dance floor to get to the other side and walking between 1 side and the other 2 girls asked me to dance :cool:

The_Reaper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
"Get behind that ass (gently guiding her waste with your hands)."

Does anyone else find that hilarious? Her "waste"! Bwahahahahaha!

S.Y.L

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I always own everyone at Dancing to Never Gonna Give You up By Rick Astley

EDIT: wtf, I Didnt see that post above me lmao.