The Official Cardio Thread

NEWBIE101

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by CONAN
Hi,
In my opinion HIIT is not good for fat loss,
To burn fat you need to be between 70 - 80% of max heart rate for periods in exess of 15-20 mins. otherwise you will be using blood sugar and glycogen for fuel, you cant synthesise fat quickly enough for high intensity exercise, so your body wont use it.
Just my two penneth
C
Yes, during exercise you won't burn as much fat. But you'll eventually burn more calories which leads to fat loss.

NEWBIE101

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by supertrooper
Wassup NEWBIE101, I'm currently lifting weights for bulk 3 days a week(mon,wed, fri). I do a total body workout on those days(upper,lower body, and abs). My bench is going up 5-10 lbs a week. I want to run 60 yd sprints to improve my 40 yd speed mon through friday. Currently most of my abs are visible, but at belly button and love handle area, fat is little excessive for me. My question is can i do all this and still gain muscle and burn fat at the same time? If so, I need you to tell me what days I need to work out and run. Thanks in advance:)
In the beginning you can but this changes after a while and you need to choose either to bulk or cut and you will only be able to train each muscle once per week for hypertrophy results. Continue what you're doing now though as long as it's giving you results, you can do those 60 yard sprints.

CONAN

Don Juan
Reaction score
Newbie101
Dont understand what you mean by,
"you'll eventually burn more calories"
Running at approx 7 MPH for 1 mile burns 100 cal
My usual run of 10 miles therefore burns 1000 cal
Sounds good to me!
Regards
C
PS you could always get the best of both worlds and do
runs which include Fartleks.

NEWBIE101

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by CONAN
Newbie101
Dont understand what you mean by,
"you'll eventually burn more calories"
Running at approx 7 MPH for 1 mile burns 100 cal
My usual run of 10 miles therefore burns 1000 cal
Sounds good to me!
Regards
C
PS you could always get the best of both worlds and do
runs which include Fartleks.
You didn't read what HIIT was. It's interval training which can be a combination of sprints, jogging, and walking. You are burning a crapload of calories while sprinting and recovering. Also, studies showed that people who performed 15 minutes of HIIT and people who performed 45 minutes of moderate intensity cardio burned the same amount of calories during the cardio, but the group that did HIIT burned a ton more calories after the cardio was done. Also, you shoudn't run for too long since it puts your body in a catabolic state.

Hope this helps.