Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

The meaning of life? How about "meaning," and "life"

Nocturnal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is a very unguided post full of brainstorming ideas that have just coursed through my mind. I don't know if I necessarily agree with all of it, or any of it, but I think thinking about it is the important part. Take what you can take from it.

----------------------------------------------------

Is life a continuum or a segment of time? Either way, what happens now is only going to happen now, and tomorrow, or even 5 minutes from now, now will no longer be "now" but "then."

Now is opportunity. Opportunity in the sense that you can add value to it. Opportunity in the sense that within your own percieved reality, you can create "value" that gives you a reason to experience more "now"s. In the big picture, your now only really matters to you. The person next to you, whether they are your closest friend or a simple stranger, does not value your now. They are living within their own reality and working through their own nows.

Everyone wants to find meaning within their own reality. Everyone wants to know that there is something to be gained by traveling through time as a bundle of organic matter. In truth, the only meaning that can be applied to our existence is the meaning that we want to see. We cannot find any meaning or purpose whose existence we do not consciously seek.

So, "the meaning of life?" Sure, it can exist. But it is not universal. The meaning of your life, whether you are consciously aware of it or not, has already been formulated and tucked into a dark corner of your mind. But you still seek it. It is right in front of you, but it is not enough for you. How can you validate a purpose on a universal level if you have decided that purpose yourself? As you look at it, you cover your eyes. You know that time will continue, but you want to know why tomorrow is important enough to travel to, when in reality you know that it doesn't matter. But you either tell yourself that you haven't found the true reason yet, and so you must keep searching for it, or you trick yourself into thinking that there is some greater meaning to life that justifies its existence. But is the universe conscious? The bounds of space and time that you live within do not care about the life of one man, nor do they care about the life of a million men. Meaning can only come from a place that it can be applied to. That's why it is meaing.

What does this mean? It means that you should not live life tricking yourself into believing that the pain, and suffering that you experience is all justified because of a meaning that you do not even know for yourself. It may sound sad to some, and wonderful to others, but, to truly enjoy life, you must live within the limits of a reality that you create for yourself. You can only be happy if you allow for happiness in your own universe. You should understand that once you are pulled from your reality, it loses any meaning it was given.

One way to look at is it to compare us to robots. Robots only "live," or operate, if they have a reason to. That reason only exists because of the robot's creator/controller. The difference between us and robots, however, is that we are always operating, simply because of our biology. Mother nature turned us on, and now we are wondering what she wants us to do. Nature pushed the on button. When we push the "on button" on a robot, we have a purpose for taking action. The question is, then, what is nature's purpose for taking action when it decided to push our "on button"s? Is it possible to have action without purpose? Within our limited view of things, we cannot say. We cannot assume that nature has purpose if it is not conscious, and even it were, what about the action that created it? And if that had purpose in creating nature, what about ITS creator? The cycle continues infinitely. In essence, we could search for meaning/purpose for eons and never find the single point at which purpose began. It would be a paradox to do so.

That means we can either accept the idea that there is no inherent purpose to our realities, and continue to live life as a piece of raw matter, without direction, or we can create some artifical purpose to live by. Artificial you say? Yes. Depressing, maybe. But the truth is, it is pointless to search for what does not exist. So we can try to make the best out of the situation. But then again, it is only "the best" out of the situation because of whatever meaning we have artificially applied to the situation. The question then becomes, can someone feel fulfilled if they know that the value they place on their life is not real value? The answer only results in more ciruclar logic.

Think of it like the money supply. Currency only has value because we give it value. We have developed our system into one where artificial value has become widespread enough to serve as real value. But could we have ever gotten to that point if each individual considered only the initial artificial value that the money represented? Meaning, the value we artificially place on our lives can be developed into something that actually means something to us, as long as we are willing to subject ourselves to the process.

squirrels

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A universe...where heartbreak and sadness have bee
Meaning isn't FOUND. It's CREATED.

The overall meaning of your life...you'll never know. Only God, if you believe in such a deity, can look at all the lives in the universe interplaying and know what your purpose is.

YOU are only able to look at life through your own eyes...therefore you must create your OWN meaning in life as YOU see it.

And meaning is created through ACTIONS, not through sitting back and thinking about meaning...or from sitting back and trying to guess at others' meanings. :p

All there is is the present.

Nocturnal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Squirrels, I think I agree with you.

Originally posted by Sazuki
Let us assume a Creator created this universe.
How do you make that assumption?

Why would an infinite conciousness create infinite finite parts(our 4D universe) without a purpose?
Which brings me back to the question, "Can you have action without purpose?"

We cannot make the assumption that a creator created the universe without answering "no" to this question, simply because if you say "yes," then the universe could have just come about without a reasion (or creator). And if the answer is "no," then how did the creator come into play if he has to exist for a purpose?

Can he create himself and give purpose to himself after coming out of nothingness? How can something so omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent come into existence by itself? Doesn't it have to start somewhere?

I think the answer lies in what is a paradox within our world (but not in the 'creator's' own). I think that's where we get into what you said about, "we finite humans cannot ever comprehend that with our finite minds, we are short on neural connections, bound by matter,- space,- and time."

Nocturnal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Basically this universe is highly fine-tuned for life itself. Coincedence? I doubt it. I belief 99% in a deity, and 1% in the multiverse.
How do you know that there weren't a billion other universe's that just collapsed, but that this was the only one that was just right?

I agree with you on the idea that there are things far too complex for us to physically comprehend, but doesn't that just mean that we shouldn't make any assumptions about how we are here or what the essence of the universe really is?

Nocturnal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Something intelligent beyond our universe that embedded the information and wisdom inside this universe, a wise mind. Who or what would that be? I'm quite confident to say that it's 'God', or a better name maybe: the universal primordial conciousness.
But if intelligence has to come from a 'God' or consciousness, where does that consciousness get its wisdom from? It seems from your previous responses you would say that it comes from within itself... but in that case, who is to say that all wisdom does not just come from us, at our level? There is nothing to say where it starts, or ends, so why couldn't it start with us? Actually, that question doesn't exactly make sense to me, but maybe you can understand where I'm going with it.