Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

The KISS principle - keep it simple, stupid

MetalFortress

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is an article I wrote on the "Post Your Own Article!" board at bodybuilding.com's forums. Will it make it to the website itself? Who knows, but tell me what you think. I'd especially like to hear Diesel's opinion on it.

This is a lesser known principle, but one that is quite well known to the malcontents over at Dragondoor (Andy70 for example, the 69 year old ornery old man who deadlifts around 700 pounds). This is also a principle that really needs to be applied to beginning weightlifters and even non-beginners.

What do I mean? Well, I've seen workout splits involving some 60 different lifts, with about 56 of them being isolation lifts. What is the point of THIS??? I've been chastised by the Dragondoor misfits/world-class-lifters for trying to keep 8 lifts at once going, and you guys are doing THAT MANY? It's pretty pointless.

First of all, forget about isolation lifts. The way I see it, they are only really needed if you have one majorly lagging muscle group. Otherwise, just forget em. They get really dull and boring when you are doing 40 of them in one workout split. Do you want to build mass? Compound lifts are the way to go. Do you want a lot of strength? Once again, go compound. Ladies, do you want to be "toned"? Forget about whether or not this is a "scientifically correct" statement or not - go compound. And keep it simple.

By simple, I mean training a few lifts at a time can give you a lot. Don't do 5 different curls, 5 different tricep movements, and 4 different workouts with the word "leg" in them. Do squats for the legs. Do dips for the triceps and chest. Do military presses for the shoulders. Do chins for the upper back and biceps. Do deadlifts for the lower back, and many other muscles. Do olympic lifts for pretty much anything.

Not gaining enough mass on a 5x5 routine? Double the sets. Do 10 sets of 5 reps, or however many reps you do. More sets = more muscle fibers used. And of course, do three days a week max unless you are training low volume.

Of course, isolation workouts do have their uses. For example, world-class drug-free powerlifter Garm Olafson, another Dragondoor misfit, is a fan of bicep curls. Why? They help to strengthen the bicep tendons to prevent bicep tendon injuries, a common powerlifting injury. But unless you are a pro bodybuilder, pro powerlifter, pro something else, or have a muscle group really lagging behind, keep off the isolation. Don't complicate things so much. Keep it simple.

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
isolation exercises are great if used in conjunction with compound exercises...obviously.

but yes, i feel that too many people put way too much focus into doing bicep curls instead of exercises that will actually get them somewhere.

in my opinion, if your a skinny guy , you need to focus on compound lifts to build the mass..then you can start to incorporate exercises that are more focused.

for example, a newbie weight lifter could make great gains by sticking to squats, chins, pullups, pushups, bench press, and deadlift. but after 6 months to a year of a solid routine with these exercises, its time to start conditining specific areas..thus adding the barbell curl, tricep presses, and forearm curls.

great article though...lots of good pointers in there.

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes, have to agree, compound movements should form the basis of your routine. Carry on, I'm waiting for some revolutionary new info...

MetalFortress

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"isolation exercises are great if used in conjunction with compound exercises...obviously."

Yes... true. They are a good spice to add to a good meal (compound movements) but you can't have a tiny bit of food and a ton of spice. For sports guys it's also good, I.E. rotator cuff isolation work for baseballers.

Actually, RC work is good for anyone... good to prevent injuries before they happen.

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Why "stupid"?

KIS will suffice.

Working out too long is not good for bulking up. You miss your window of opportunity for the best muscle building. Keep the workout at 30-40 minutes max.

aolsuxs

Don Juan
Reaction score
Your the same guy that said, "bodybuilding is BS. Lots of looks, not much power."

Yet your submitting your article to "www.bodybuilding.com"

Ironic.

MetalFortress

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Why "stupid"?

Originally posted by Bonhomme
KIS will suffice.

Working out too long is not good for bulking up. You miss your window of opportunity for the best muscle building. Keep the workout at 30-40 minutes max.
KISS sounds better because it is a pun, in a way :) Agreed about working out, although 50 minutes or so wouldn't be too bad. After an hour of work is when the cortisol sets in, I think.

Your the same guy that said, "bodybuilding is BS. Lots of looks, not much power."

Yet your submitting your article to "www.bodybuilding.com"

Ironic.
Aren't you the kid who flamed me because I lost weight playing Dance Dance Revolution? Do me a favor and put me on ignore again. In case you haven't been to the site, which you obviously have not, it covers not just bodybuilding, but powerlifting, strongman, general weight training, sports training, and proves to be much more than just a BBing database. Some aspects of BBing are actually not BS - my mind has opened some since then - but many aspects of modern BBing are. Now go crawl back into the peanut gallery.

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DJ IronGirevik

Not gaining enough mass on a 5x5 routine? Double the sets. Do 10 sets of 5 reps, or however many reps you do. More sets = more muscle fibers used. And of course, do three days a week max unless you are training low volume.
not necessarily true.. this sounds more like a recipe for overtraining - before you resort to this.. checking your diet may be a better idea. Just because you are using more muscle fibers does not necessarily mean you are going to grow. If this were true, we should all be doing 50 set Arnold type workouts. What we want is to recruit as much of the type 1b fibers as possible... these are the ones that get huge... the only way to do this is by lifting heavy.

Of course, isolation workouts do have their uses. For example, world-class drug-free powerlifter Garm Olafson, another Dragondoor misfit, is a fan of bicep curls. Why? They help to strengthen the bicep tendons to prevent bicep tendon injuries, a common powerlifting injury. But unless you are a pro bodybuilder, pro powerlifter, pro something else, or have a muscle group really lagging behind, keep off the isolation. Don't complicate things so much. Keep it simple.
I generally agree with this thread, as the fitness mag industry has to keep creating bullshyt gimmicks and exercises to fill out the pages of their mags by paying some roided-out gorilla to say that this little "secret trick" was what gave him 21" arms... the problem is that most people who read these mags are utterly clueless as to how the body really works - and of course take it to be the gospel truth....

However, I also agree with 'OUTER that you will eventually have to incorporate exercises that specifically target the extremities if you want them to get huge...I'm sorry, but you wlll not get monster biceps doing chins alone.... the trick is to incorporate the ones that CREATE THE MOST OVERLOAD IN THE SPECIFIC MUSCLE... using that criteria it's pretty easy to eliminate over 90% of the bullshyt, gimmicky isolation exercises you see out there.

MetalFortress

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hm, I think I'll take the "pro" out of it and just put bodybuilder or powerlifter.

"not necessarily true.. this sounds more like a recipe for overtraining - before you resort to this.. checking your diet may be a better idea. Just because you are using more muscle fibers does not necessarily mean you are going to grow. If this were true, we should all be doing 50 set Arnold type workouts. What we want is to recruit as much of the type 1b fibers as possible... these are the ones that get huge... the only way to do this is by lifting heavy. "

I mean if you are doing 5x5, eating a lot, but still not gaining enough mass (as in, not enough turns to muscle, but it goes to fat instead). I wouldn't recommend it with more than 2 or 3 compound exercises at a time, but when I did a similar regimen with chins and dips my arms grew like weeds. Must have gained half an inch to an inch in a month.

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

I mean if you are doing 5x5, eating a lot, but still not gaining enough mass (as in, not enough turns to muscle, but it goes to fat instead).
wouldn't that mean that there is a problem with the workout - i.e. intensity wise - or perhaps that you are eating too many carbs?? It all comes down to trial and error, bro... you give the 10x5 a go and see how it feels - chances are more people than not would overtrain if they did this protocol regularly, but some people may grow like weeds on it - an individual won't know his limits until he tries it... we just share our individual experiences to provide some point of reference and honest feedback outside of the garbage printed in most fitness-industry media sources.

D

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When I did this I usually only did chins and dips once a week, twice if I was feeling crazy. I'm starting a cycle of 20-rep squats soon, so expect a report back on that...
I fully expect your endurance to shoot through the roof - which will lead to higher max squat totals - and not to mention a nice size increase - specially in the quads..

how do I know? we used to do 20 rep sets of squats when I trained for rowing. now you know why oarsmen have such comparatively huge quads !!

MetalFortress

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Not to mention it'll help my kettlebell endurance :p

Weighed myself today, I'm down to 216. Which means, to get to 240, more 20-rep squats for me!!! (although I was planning more cycles anyways after this cycle if it worked as planned. I wouldn't mind getting my way up to 400 for 20 reps)