The great culture war of the 21st century

Bokanovsky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What we are seeing in America (and to a lesser extent Europe) right now is the early stages of a culture war the likes of which we have not seen since the 1960's. Back then, the assault on the status quo came from the left (i.e. anti-war protests, civil rights movement, feminism, etc.) The left won, and the right was defeated so soundly that it didn't put up much of a fight over the next 50 years as the left consolidated its victory and radically changed society in the process.

It seems that we have now reached a point where the pendulum is finally starting to swing the other way. It's hard to put your finger on the precise galvanizing event that has lead to this. I think it's more of a combination of factors, like the excessively liberal social policies of the Obama administration, disenchantment with the neocon wing of the Republican party, the spread of radical islam, unchecked illegal immigration and outsourcing of jobs due to globalization and ill-conceived trade deals. What started out as the Tea Party movement against big government has been co-opted by Trump and evolved into something entirely different.

What happens next will depend on a) whether Trump is truly committed to delivering on his election promises and b) whether the people who voted for Trump have the stamina and inclination to become an organized movement like the left has been since the 60’s. On the first point, Trump has really surprised me. I had a suspicion that once elected, he would water down his policies quite a bit and become much more mainstream. However, his first 11 days in office suggest that he really is serious about doing most if not all of the things that he promised on the campaign trail. This is almost unprecedented in modern politics. So now the question is whether “the people”, as Trump calls them, will be committed enough to back him all the way in the looming showdown with the so-called "progressive left". Interesting times ahead.

Last edited:
B

BlueAlpha1

Agree 100%.

Here is my take on it without rambling on and on. I wish I had the nerve to actually create a visual demonstration, but here is my "football field" of American politics right now.

LEFT END ZONE -
Marxists, communists, conspiracy theorists
5 yard line - SJW class (black nationalists, Muslim apologists, radical feminists)
15 yard line - Bernie Sanders
30 yard line - Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton
50 yard line - Centrists, Rand Paul, John Kasich
30 yard line - Donald Trump, classic liberals, middle America
15 yard line - Libertarians, Neo-Cons
5 yard line - Alt-right (white nationalists, Neo-Nazis)
RIGHT END ZONE - Fascists, anarchists, conspiracy theorists

The bolded, underlined zone is where the momentum is right now, although those positioned to the left of Obama and Clinton are rabid, crazed, and more determined than ever because they sense the shift and are getting desperate.

I place myself square in that 30 yard line class right zone. The crazy thing is even classic liberals are right there with them. I have liberal beliefs on many social issues (not all), but consider myself so far away from the radical left it's not funny. Remember the difference between liberals and leftists. Classic liberals love free speech. Leftists want to kill it.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What happens next will depend on a) whether Trump is truly committed to delivering on his election promises and b) whether the people who voted for Trump have the stamina and inclination to become an organized movement like the left has been since the 60’s. On the first point, Trump has really surprised me. I had a suspicion that once elected, he would water down his policies quite a bit and become much more mainstream. However, his first 11 days in office suggest that he really is serious about doing most if not all of the things that he promised on the campaign trail. This is almost unprecedented in modern politics. So now the question is whether “the people”, as Trump calls them, will be committed enough to back him all the way in the looming showdown with the so-called "progressive left". Interesting times ahead.
Take this with a grain of salt, but I consider myself a pretty good 'discern-er'. I've always been able to read people really well. I've always thought Trump was in it for the right reasons. I think he truly cares about this country. I have zero evidence to back this up, it's simply my opinion.

As far as consolidation, there's no doubt in my mind that wherever the church is involved, that will happen. Right now, that is middle to lower class white people. The rich elites obviously have no religion at all, blacks fight with each other, the democrat party is self-destructing. I think the hispanics are probably split.

Remember, in 1960, the church was heavily behind the civil rights movement, and for good reason. See what happened.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My undergrad degree was in political science. I always thought of the left-right spectrum as being more like a circle. The most extreme ends of it are actually quite similar to each other, and life for the average person would be as well.

Here's an article I just read about Trump's supreme court nominee actually being to the left of the guy Obama would have nominated: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...mp-gave-democrats-a-gift-they-should-take-it/

Bokanovsky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My undergrad degree was in political science. I always thought of the left-right spectrum as being more like a circle. The most extreme ends of it are actually quite similar to each other, and life for the average person would be as well.

Here's an article I just read about Trump's supreme court nominee actually being to the left of the guy Obama would have nominated: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...mp-gave-democrats-a-gift-they-should-take-it/
I agree about the spectrum being a circle. Nazis and communists were essentially the flip side of the same coin and the same can be said of "establishment" Republicans and Democrats.

The concept of "right" and "left" today is also very different compared to even a few decades ago. "Left-wing" Hillary was in favour of free trade and had overwhelming Wall Street support. "Right wing" Trump favours protectionist trade policies, wants to spend money on infrastructure and was elected with the support of blue collar workers. Then you have social issues like gun ownership and gay marriage. These don't fit into the traditional right-vs-left paradigm at all.