Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

The Dishonesty of Car Dealers

redskinsfan92

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's amazing to see them take a $22,000 price and turn it into a $32,000 final price. The dishonesty and slick psychology tricks are downright sickening. $899 processing fee? Taxes after advertised price? Shipping fee? Wait, what?

Wasn't me. Just watched someone I know do it against my advice. I argued my case. I made my points clear. I showed the math. My hands are clean.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It’s true they do tack on extras but you simply decline those.

As for taxes, someone who doesn’t assume sales tax on a vehicle purchase i don’t know what can be said. That’s just willful ignorance.

Billtx49

Reaction score
OP, as you know, New vehicle purchasing requires fairly hardcore bargaining skill and beforehand pricing knowledge. Like with women, you have to be willing to walk if you’re not happy and if a trade-in is involved always get the keys back immediately after their assessment. If you leave money on the table, the dealer Will pick it up.

After price agreement they can put you in F&I for paperwork and attempt to blow your brains out with after the sale over prices dealer add-ons also.

On the other hand one of my friends only bought 1-3 year olds to avoid the automatic drive out price decline, but he was a mechanic and knew what he was looking for and mechanical condition assessment …

Mike32ct

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eastern Time Zone where it's always really late
When I bought mine, they initially wanted me to sign over the title of my trade-in car BEFORE they even heard back from the bank on the financing for the new car. Total sketch.

I put my foot down, and he backed off. Once it cleared the bank, I knew the interest rate, and I was ready to take delivery of the new car, then yes, I was fine to sign over my old car.

As far as "add-ons" go, I have nothing against extended warranties. I think they can be good for a car that you plan to keep a long time, provided that it is from the manufacturer of the car, not some third party company. However, I think most dealers will try to sell you the third party one, but don't go there.

Last edited:

redskinsfan92

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
OP, as you know, New vehicle purchasing requires fairly hardcore bargaining skill and beforehand pricing knowledge. Like with women, you have to be willing to walk if you’re not happy and if a trade-in is involved always get the keys back immediately after their assessment. If you leave money on the table, the dealer Will pick it up.

After price agreement they can put you in F&I for paperwork and attempt to blow your brains out with after the sale over prices dealer add-ons also.

On the other hand one of my friends only bought 1-3 year olds to avoid the automatic drive out price decline, but he was a mechanic and knew what he was looking for and mechanical condition assessment …
Oh believe me. I bought a vehicle $700 below the minimum book value last month. All cash. I got destroyed by F&I once. Never again.

wifehunter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Counter offer 12K :rofl:

redskinsfan92

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I hear you. Decades ago a dealer tried to sell me undercoating to protect against ice and snow, problem is, I live in Texas…
Now that would be legit concern up north. Sometimes we get New York used cars down here in Virginia. You look underneath and see rust gone wild. Texas? That is hilarious. Not even a concern here really.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Now that would be legit concern up north. Sometimes we get New York used cars down here in Virginia. You look underneath and see rust gone wild. Texas? That is hilarious. Not even a concern here really.
Most new cars coming with corrosion protection on them and some sort of corrosion warranty. I got it on my last car, probably didn’t need it. After 7 New York & New Jersey winters, not a spec of rust was on the undercarriage

redskinsfan92

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Most new cars coming with corrosion protection on them and some sort of corrosion warranty. I got it on my last car, probably didn’t need it. After 7 New York & New Jersey winters, not a spec of rust was on the undercarriage
Yeah, I noticed that. Hyundai does 7 years unlimited miles for corrosion

redskinsfan92

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fortunately this person bought a 3 year old truck, so it already took its biggest depreciation hit.

redskinsfan92

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
They also worked the final deal down a few thousand

Who Dares Win

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Car dealers and mechanics are people that I dont deal with when its a personal enterprise.

I make sure to go to places where people I deal with are employees with a fixed salary that have no personal interest into scamming me, at least not a direct one.

Also best advice ever is leave if the conditions dont fully convince you or pretend you're doing it.

I once got my bike to a mech and he changed the oil despite me telling him that it wasnt necessary, he said that he checked the oil and it needed to be thrown away.

I then reminded him that we changed that same oil 3 months earlier in his same shop while showing the receipt, he started babbling some non sense but in the end I paid just for the gears and not the oil.

RickTheToad

Reaction score
It's amazing to see them take a $22,000 price and turn it into a $32,000 final price. The dishonesty and slick psychology tricks are downright sickening. $899 processing fee? Taxes after advertised price? Shipping fee? Wait, what?

Wasn't me. Just watched someone I know do it against my advice. I argued my case. I made my points clear. I showed the math. My hands are clean.
When I bought my last car, I able to get all fees waived aside from the $70.00 doc fee. I brought in other offers from other dealers on my trade in too. They matched the price and I got the car 20k under MSRP. So, I think it was a decent deal. My car needed a new trans anyway, so I was on borrowed time.