Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

The definitive:

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Right. All the time I'm reading about someone wanting to gain more mass cause they're small. So I want you to take a few moments and make sure you have these in ALL your workouts. This is what it's all about if you want to get big. This is nothing I came up with myself, it's common knowledge with all the big lifters. Sources from t-mag, bb.com and, of all places, here.

1a) Deadlifts. Picking a huge weight up off the floor launches your CNS into a frenzy. All your body can do is grow like an oak.

1b) Squats. You use something like 60-70% of all your muscle to get that weight going up and down. It's heavy, it's compound, it's killer.

2) Bench pressing. Correct form, correct range of motion.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALL THOSE LIFTS ARE WHAT POWERLIFTERS ARE TESTED ON. POWERLIFTERS ARE HUGE AND THICK. Note the theme.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3) Cleans/Snatches. Again, you're shifting a lot of weight and forcing a lot of your muscles to work. Recipe for growth.

4) Bent over rows. Not the biggest lift in the world, but it's still big and it isnt used a lot these days. WHY?!!

5) Dips. These can make your tri's explode and add a lot of poundage to your benching.

6) Pulls ups. They're a good mass builder, and theres hardly ever a line for them at your gym.

7) Bar curls. The king of excersizes for the bi's. Choose straight bar curls if you can, unless your forearms arent too good. In that case, EZ bar curl.

8) Shoulder press. A lot of you guys here use it. Good stuff.

***EDIT:

9)SLDL. Straight leg deads. Big quads without big hams is like having a plain salad instead of a rare steak. Use them to keep your quads and hams in perfect proportion.

You wanna grow big, you have to eat big. Now get your ass down the gym.

Last edited:

MrFitness880

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
yep thats all good stuff.

i do bench/squat/dead regularly and bent over bb rows and shoulder presses too.

dips and pull-ups i rotate in and out of my regimen

to be honest i've never really done any cleans/snatches.

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm going in for a few weeks of huge lifting, so I thought I'd do a fair amount of research. They seem to be good mass builders :)

Thought I'd throw all this down in a thread so that most of the 'hows my routine?' questions should answer themselves.

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes these exercises are the best around! Listen to Ben.

I have a friend of mine who started to work out a month after me. We go together every time we work out but the routine is different... he does not use deadlifts, squats, bent over rows, military press, dips and stiff leg deadlifts but instead use machines.

The result? I have almost gained 20 pounds, he has gained 5. See the difference?

I want to add stiff leg deadlifts to this list because I have never found an exercise that hit the hamstrings more. Close grip bench press is also a must which most people realize the first time they do it :D

Happy bulking ben!

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hams arent really core muscles, although I see where you're coming from. I guess I can throw them in. For you, anything ;) :p

Dips are better than close grip bench presses I've found. When you can blast through them at bodyweight only, time for that weight belt. The only reason I favour close grip bench pressing is cause I have poor joints. Not bad as in I shouldnt work out, bad as in I'll have joint problems earlier than most other people. So I've gotta find a way of preserving the old hinges before this plank of wood comes unstuck :)

Good to hear Sazuko. When you've got something to shape and fine-touch, do so. Until then, pack on some mass ;)

catlovesfood

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey DJBEN, can I ask how big are you? Like whats your measurements so I can get an image in my head.

thanks. :confused:

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Height 5'9"

Arms 15"
Neck 16.2"
Forearms 13.10"
Chest 41.80"
Waist 32.5"
Thigh 25"
Calfs 16.8"

I couldnt tell you my weight. It naturally fluctuates anywhere from almost 4lbs either way. When I wake up it's usually 173-175

Genetics have given me naturally huge legs, calfs and forearms. Genetically, I'm also very badly proportioned, and it's gonna be hell trying to pack on some extra mass in some areas. I'm gonna see about doing that in my next bulking cycle after a hard-earnt week and a bit off.

I'm no where near huge, I've just had some luck as far as finding people who know their sh!t goes. I've also read up on BB'ing about an hour a day for the last 4 months or so. Atleast by doing so, I'm up-to-date and moderately knowledgable.

AFK Protector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DJBen

1a) Deadlifts. Picking a huge weight up off the floor launches your CNS into a frenzy. All your body can do is grow like an oak.
heheh.. I'm a noob and sorry if the answer to this is painfully obvious....but does that quote mean doing deadlifts will help you grow? Or make you grow slow...like a tree.:confused:

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Once you try deadlifts you will never want to stop doing it... only squats rival the effectiveness of deadlifts... come in, when you lift something up from the ground you use almost all muscle in the body. The forearms for the grip, the biceps,triceps and deltoids to hold the arm together, the entire back, the pectorals, the obliques, the abdominals, the hamstrings, the quadriceps, the calves... seriously, try it and you have found the love of your life.

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ben, those are some nice thighs you've got...

well in a total non sexual way of course. ;)

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by AFK Protector
heheh.. I'm a noob and sorry if the answer to this is painfully obvious....but does that quote mean doing deadlifts will help you grow? Or make you grow slow...like a tree.:confused:
Very amusing. You know the answer if you have any sense.

Lifeforce:

Cheers man :). They always were wayyy too big for me , it's genetics. My lower body will always be out of proportion, though I guess thats cool. Some people have stick legs. Atleast I've got strong pins ;)

calfs are 17.3 btw, dunno where that 16.8 came from.

AFK Protector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Very amusing. You know the answer if you have any sense.
Um...no man. I don't pretend to be stupid. I just am.

Anyways:

1) Are you refering to growing tall? or growing your arms thicker?

2) Do deadlifts make you grow more or less?

I know CNS = central nervous system...but can't see how that fits in. Please explain. Your expertise is appreciated.

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Typically, you'll be able to deadlift more than you could squat/clean/bench. That puts a greater demand on your body to perform. It stresses it which causes the release of hormones etc. Deadlifting mainly works your lower back and legs. It makes that grow.

It makes you put on mass all over, if you're working all the other body parts - due to the huge release of hormones etc. Deadlifts wont make you taller, they dont do anything to your height.

Mercenary

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Typically, you'll be able to deadlift more than you could squat/clean/bench.
I can squat twice as much as I can deadlift

:eek:

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
hey ben and lifeforce, do you use wrist straps? and if so, for what (besides deads)

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I use gloves, not wrist straps.

I also use gloves for bent over rows, but thats it.

I dont see the use for them in many other things, except maybe if I need to clean and jerk heavy weights to drop on my back for squatting. I should see about getting a power rack at home.

If I had chalk, I probably wouldnt bother with gloves at all.

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So for deads, do you do an alternating grip?? (One hand facing out, one hand facing towards you).

I use a grip with both palms towards me, and there's no way I can hold onto that much weight with my fingers.. it doesn't work, and it hurts ;)

I figure the wrist straps are there to help you hit big muscles that may need more weight than your forearms will allow, so on cable rows, shrugs, and deads, I pull out the wrist straps.

I use gloves on a lot of stuff too... more to keep the calluses down a bit for the ladies, rather than anything else. Also a bit more comfortable ;)

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Alternating grip, I find it more comfortable anyway. I also switch it about each week, left hand facing me one week, the next week it'll face out.

My hands get pretty torn up, but meh :) not looking for any woman right now