The cardinal rules for Men in relationships and dating

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I posted these a few weeks ago on my blog, but i thought it would be a good positive topic for the MM forum. These are just my personal rules; gleaned from my own experiences and the wisdom other Men. Feel free to post your own or add to the list.

In order of importance:

1. Know thyself. Know yourself through experience. What you want, don’t want, strengths, weaknesses, negotiables and non-negotiables. This goes far beyond likes and dislikes. It can only come through experience and reflection. Be sure of yourself and strive to master your impulses. Don’t be afraid to try new things. Remember that rejection is better than regret.

2. Never, EVER compromise your identity or self-worth to please or mold to a woman (or anyone for that matter). Women cannot respect a man who will bend himself to fit his perceived image of her ideal. It is not worth your dignity to compromise your identity for anyone.

3. If your woman is not adding positively to your life, move on. Most of the time you will just know. However, sometimes your own issues or discontent may get in the way. It could be rough period in one or both of your lives. If you have given yourself (and her) an honest, reflective appraisal and you still come to the conclusion she is a negative addition to your life, it is time to move on.

4. Realize that the most powerful weapon you have, next to self-mastery, is your ability to walk away. You always have the ability to walk. That being said, be careful not to get yourself into a position where you have no other options to go to. To use a climbing analogy, don’t climb yourself into a position you can’t climb out of. It may look inviting, but sometimes that ‘ledge’ can become a trap. Always have your bases covered. It’s your ass.

5. The fear of being alone is a powerful thing. It can keep men in relationships that are stale, destructive, or a waste of time. Be honest with yourself about it. Remember that times of solitude are not only necessary but essential to masculine growth. Much like an Indian father would send his son into the wilderness as a rite of passage, so must you spend some time alone to reflect on your past endeavors and failures. In my experience, distance brings clarity.

6. In my own opinion, the measure of ‘quality’ for a woman is not her upbringing, chastity, personality, or looks. These are simply preferences. Quality in my eyes is measured in the depth of respect she has for her man. (Credit to Latinoman for this insight.)

7. This is elementary, but in dating it is very unwise to put all of your eggs in one basket. Never imply exclusivity unless YOU are confident in her demonstrated respect for you, and her matching to your personal preferences. This takes time.

8. Have a firm set of NEGOTIABLES and NON-NEGOTIABLES. Only you can set these. Make sure they are reasonable and are not based in spite for something that someone else has done to you in the past.

9. Beware the power of the word. Your words have the power to edify, create, and preserve, or the power to utterly destroy. The things that come out of your mouth (or keyboard) have greater repercussions than you might think. A harsh word uttered in anger can erode a relationship like a river through sand. Once something toxic has been said, it is impossible to erase, unless that person chooses to forgive you.

10. Last but certainly not least, be cautious with your sexuality. It may sound parental, but nobody thinks they will get caught until they do. You can take that to the bank.

azanon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
IMO, it's probably more appropriately placed in the DJ tips.

paintballz

Don Juan
Reaction score
Colossus said:
10. Last but certainly not least, be cautious with your sexuality. It may sound parental, but nobody thinks they will get caught until they do. You can take that to the bank.
what do you mean by this?

stay away from other men incase you slip up and he gets you to watch broke back mountain:eek:

:confused:

joekerr31

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
paintballz said:

stay away from other men incase you slip up and he gets you to watch broke back mountain:eek:

i think he was refering to getting a chic pregnant or catching an std.

TheFlyOne

Don Juan
Reaction score
paintballz said:

I think he just meant know that there are repercussions and circumstances that one should take into consideration when or if you choose to cheat on your mate. If you choose to cheat, cover your tracks well or be prepared to face your inevitable outcome which may not be pretty.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
TheFlyOne said:
I think he just meant know that there are repercussions and circumstances that one should take into consideration when or if you choose to cheat on your mate. If you choose to cheat, cover your tracks well or be prepared to face your inevitable outcome which may not be pretty.
Actually I was referring more to what Joekerr said--use your head (the big one) when it comes to sex. Easier said than done, but let's face it, sex is game of biological (and pathological) odds.

joekerr31

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
btw, great set of top 10. they are all golden pieces of advice.

perhaps one other i might add would be...

11. Don't complain. complaining resolves nothing - action resolves everything. complaining is like adding gasoline to the drama fire. taking action is like dosing the drama fire with water. moreover, don't focus on what is holding you back, focus on what will propel you forward - if you do this you will complain less and act more.

Knight's Cross

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
12. Never root through the garbage once you've dragged the can to the curb. You get dirty, your neighbors see you do it and you rarely find what you thought was worth looking for. I'm quoting this one from Rollo, it needs to be on the list. Never return to a former relationship.

thirdtimescharm

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
JackPrescott said:
Number 6 is of utmost importance. Even with a fukkbuddy. I had one once, who knew where I frequented, and if she was with another man, she wouldnt go there out of respect for me and my own space. To a woman I'm dating to a woman I'm going to get serious with, she needs to respect me.
Totally agree. Respect is a non-negotiable, and once you've lost it, get out fast.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Knight's Cross said:
12. Never root through the garbage once you've dragged the can to the curb. You get dirty, your neighbors see you do it and you rarely find what you thought was worth looking for. I'm quoting this one from Rollo, it needs to be on the list. Never return to a former relationship.
That is a great analogy. Going back to a fromer relationship is a lot like rooting through the garbage. It is done, over with, and time to move on.

There may be those rare occasions when an otherwise good relationship had to be terminated because of circumstantial reasons, but every time I have gone back to (or taken back) a past girlfrined it has only brought a more bitter ending than the first time. You see why it ended to begin with.

Interceptor

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That is especially true when neither Party has resolved their own inner issues.

We often want to go back simply out of our Ego damage, and Ego management.

We lose a big chunk of our Ego based Self IMage and Ego based Pride.

So we think that the other person HOLDS that , and we WANT HTA BACK. So we often take back toxic relationships because of the loss and ego deflation.

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Those are some very good rules, Colossus. :up: :up: