Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

The Baby Bust Generation

NMMWCR

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by ShortTimer
Dear NMMWCR,

I've not read much when it comes to economics, but your explaination of things has me absolutly intrigued. Could you perhaps make some recomendations as to what is good reading? Maybe share your sources so that those interested could read more about it.

Thanks,

ST
ShortTimer,

My 'source' is a BBA in Economics. I don't think it would serve anyone's interest for me to attempt to break down an entire academic field from an undergrad's perspective in a few thousand words or less.

If you are truly interested in learning economic theory, you have a few options available. I will not recommend earning a degree in Economics to anyone who is not interested in pursuing it as an academic career. (Or perhaps for those individuals who intend to pursue an MBA but have chosen an undergrad school with no business program.) An ECO minor can provide you will some excellent critical thinking skills, but the degree is no longer highly valued by employers in the United States. Some European employers remain more open minded but this also appears to be changing.

For purposes of discussions such as these, you are interested primarily in Micro Economics. A Macro Economics primer will be of little practical use to anyone not involved in economics professionally. Any college Introduction to Economics text will suffice if you are interested in the Land, Labor, Capital, Entrepeneurship model. Look for an out of print 1st edition or a used copy donated to a library. Little has changed in the basic theory in almost a century so an edition a few years out of date, but 1/10th the price is a fine choice. The reading is sort of dry but the concepts are powerful.

If you are more interested in the philisophical side of economics (and a more entertaining read!), there are a number of books available. You should be warned that most of them are rather long winded. The most recognized treatise on the modern capitilistic society, with the capital accumulation and labor division model is Adam Smith's "An Essay on the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations", commonly referred to as 'Wealth of Nations.' This volume runs about 3,000 pages and turns out to be merely a primer for Smith's life work, "The Theory of Moral Sentiments." Turns out Smith was not an Economist at all but a professor of Moral Philosophy. He found himself in the position of needed to deconstruct the Mercantilist economic model to support his theory on why people did noble things without demanding compensation. Another good option is Karl Marx's "Das Kapital" which is the original communist manifesto. There are actually three books in the series with the final two being published by the editor from Marx's working notes posthumously. Again, these volumes are wordy. Both have the advantage of being available in most public libraries.

For a thumbnail version, there are online publications at the various US Federal Reserve banks, MSN Slate's irregularly published "Everyday Economics" series, and a quick google search turned up this link farm, http://www.financing-made-easy.com/directory/Economics/economics_article , among others.

You should be able to get a good layman's background in the subject using google if you are hoping to pursue a casual study. Some good keywords might be: "Microeconomics"
, "Adam Smith", "Karl Marx", "Luddism", "Mercantilism", "Market Theory", "Industrial Revolution", "Hedonistic Calculus", "John Malthus", "Division of Labor", "Game Theory", "Perfect Competition", "Says Law", "Indifference Curve", "Diminishing Marginal Returns", "Price Elasticity", "Economies of Scale", "Economies of Scope", and "coincidence of needs".

HTH

CyranoDeBergerac

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pook
But has this occurred in history? Let us leave our theories behind. The swell in world population came about because of the industrial revolution. Now, if what you say is true, we should be poorer for the addition of these new people.

Rather, the last couple of centuries were so technologically frenzied we can barely keep up.

The reason why I'm a follower of the economist model of resources instead of the biologist model is because there isn't a shred of evidence in history or the current world of the biology model and humans.

From any indicator, resources are getting cheaper and more plentiful. Our life standards keep improving. Each generation gets taller, stronger, and healthier. Life expectancy keeps rising. Everything is getting better.

And there is no sign of this progress stopping or slowing down. Everything seems to be getting better almost everywhere.

Faced with this, I had to make a choice. At first, I thought the world was wrong and the biology model was right. Because anyone can come up with 'statistics' he or she wants. But when I found it was government data that can be accessed by anyone, I had to question the theory.

What sounds more objective: the theory being correct and the world being wrong OR the theory being incorrect and the world being correct?
But there is still one glaring fallacy and a particular irony to your entire argument that man makes resources and has no worry of replacing them because he can always find something else to replace it with or a more efficient way of harvesting that. Its called scarcity, a fundamental principle of economics. (which is why your hopefull negligence of it seems ironic to me as you're calling your model the 'economic' one) Its true that even though we're no where near the threshold and our innovation keeps allowing us to push that threshold further there is eventually a point where it does not become viable to continue with the use of the resource.

You cite the possibility of collecting raw materials from your backyard. It might interest you to know that since a certain percentage of ocean water is gold and other trace elements, substantial research has actually gone into harvesting these elements from ocean water. The problem is that until this point, no sufficient amount of aquisition has allowed for the process to be economically viable meaning that eventually you do hit the thresholds of resource and innovation and the only thing which can provide incentive is for the value of the mineral to exceed the cost of harvesting it in contrast with its scarcity and by that time the price of the mineral itself has made it almost prohibitively expensive to the point where it is barely researched and innovation relative to it more difficult to build on producing an overall lag.

You also happily cite two other economic phenomena which need to be commented on; the decline in the percentage of the population engaged in agrarian pursuits and the cheapening of resources. The principle reasons for the decline in the percentage of the population who are farmers has to do with the efficiency we've been able to exact from the planting, harvesting and distribution of crops. Indeed when we can maximize the efficiency of the resources we use we need less of them, and that includes human capital. Naturally, the more efficient use of your resources, the more of that resource you have to apply to some other pursuits leading to an over-all increase in standard of living. Now, from this stems your argument that the more people, the more minds, and when those minds are properly moulded, the more innovation. In reality all you're talking about is the natural occurence of an increase in human capital, which need not be derived from a higher population, just a more innovative one. Innovation is not achieved by aggregate, but by intellect. You're just citing the law of large numbers so even thought the world's population is declining, its level of sophistication (and thus, actual human capital relative to the declining capital necessities of a given pursuit) keeps climbing. This why I'm having a hard time buying the theory that less people=less civilization.

You also bring up the declining price of greater abundance of resources as proof that the biological model is flawed. First the price aspect:

Price is determined by a number of factors, but its essentially the level of capital required for the production of the product and the relative scarcity of the product (in relation to its demand) As we find more efficient ways to harvest resources we naturally need less capital to do it (as was already proven before) and we can harvest more. Thus what we are seeing is not an abundance (which you assume is reflected in the falling price) of resources, but rather an increase in the efficiency of the extraction of those resources. You essentially attribute the falling price and availability as a sign that we are gaining resources, whereas a true economic model would attribute the falling prices to the greater efficiency of cultivating those resources allowing us to cultivate more for less.

In your camping example you assume a resource rich environment and the relative amount of time you remain in that environment scarcity is not an issue for you and because of that it is a flawed example until we find another planet to work with.

-CyranoDeBergerac

ShortTimer

Banned
Reaction score
In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of l
Originally posted by squirrels
That's what I'm saying. Is the "lazy SOB" who never works and lives with his parents and goes out and parties on the weekend living a BETTER life than the person who goes out and busts his azz for 40 a week and supports a family and takes pride in his trade and his accomplishments and his legacy? Is the "quality of life" limited to one dimension, such as how much money you have, how many hours you work, etc?
By these simple dimentions I don't think you could really say one person has a better life than another. Other factors like self-esteem and pursuit of dreams should be factored in as well. Authentic self-esteem comes in part from productive work, but that doesn't nessisarily mean a high paying job.

Money does grant something that most people would desire: freedom to choose. Free to choose the life we want and to experience it the way we want. Money (or, more abstractly, resources) doesn't buy happiness but it is a nessisary part of the equation if for no other reason that no food = no life.

Reaction score
PBS TV program, "NOVA" is having a special titled "World in the balance" that talks about the exact issues discussed here...the aging population and the increasing birth rate in the undeveloped world!!

Check your local listings! It's coming soon.

Last edited:

NMMWCR

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Birth rates in western nations are decreasing but population will continue to increase for decades thanks to increased longevity, reduced infant mortality, and immigration.

Even China's population is expected to grow for another 4 decades despite the one-child program.

Pook

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
squirrels

kind of have a problem with the way you talk about the "standard of life improving for everyone" when you yourself are quoting articles about more and more men in their 30s living at home. Do you know WHY they live at home? Because they can't afford a house. Do you know WHY they can't afford a house? Because housing prices are through the roof...because housing is becoming a scarce commodity. Look at the way real estate is almost guaranteed to appreciate. WHY? Because space itself is a dwindling resource. Not just space, USEFUL space.
That is not why real estate prices are going up. Yes, apartments in Manhatten now cost a million dollars but that is due more to the bidding war and to such a place like Manhatten.

The Computer/Information Technology upswing really drove the economy in the 90s. The upswing is now in the Housing Economy. I consider it a good thing.

Besides, if you know anything about real estate, you know that old buildings, like firehouses, warehouses, and all, are being turned into office buildings and homes. Real estate is not just building new buildings or selling old ones, it is transforming one building type to another. I've been in a girl's apartment that was an old firehouse. Had the pole and all! Quite charming. And an office building in a former warehouse is interesting.

To say that we are running out of space because of real estate is absurd. Real estate is making more space. Obesolete structures are being metamorphed into new living and office conditions.

But if population continues to increase EXPONENTIALLY, we WILL run out of space
We have so much space we don't know what to do with it. Like I said, you could fit the world's population in Rhode Island. You could fit the world's population in Texas and everyone could have some land. I would agree that a city is crowded but that is a city. Cities have always been crowded even when the world's population was only 10 million.

Next time you fly, look out the window and look at the vast amounts of space out there.

And we're already feeling the pinch from that because we haven't had as much innovation and creativity in making resources USEFUL as we did in prior times.
Let's look at this.

Today, your car uses only half as much metal as a car produced in 1970.

Super thin optical fibers carry the same number of telephone calls as 625 copper wires did just twenty years ago (and with better quality).

Newspapers are printed on thinner paper because paper production has improved.

Bridges contain less steel, because steel has become stronger and because we can calcuate specifications more accurately.

The information technology itself has altered our consumption. Programs worth hundreds of dollars fit on a CD ROM worth only 2 cents in plastic. (I'm talking to you over the internet. Imagine the resources would be used not in the paper needed to make a letter, but the energy and time for someone to carry the letter to you.)

This is an example of how we have become wealthier, yet we are consuming less wood, metal, plastic, and other mateirals.

Everything is getting better, all the time.

Will we find a way to replenish the rainforests or colonize Mars before the population of Earth grows so big that the finite amount of oxygen we have is depleted faster than plants can replenish it?
Rainforests have nothing to do with oxygen production. It is more likely the 'rainforests' decrease oxygen rather than produce it, as the rate of decay is so high.

If every nation on earth fired its nuclear and war like weapons, our buildings would be smashed, but life would still go on.

We are not as powerful as we think we are. For all our science and civilization, we cannot thwart a single lightning bolt. A hurricane appears and mass exodus occurs.

People in America supposedly have better lifestyles...why? Because they have more "things"? Because they have more money and more luxuries? Because they live longer and have better medicine? They work 80 hours a week (the equivalent of TWO jobs since one doesn't provide them with enough monetary resources to support themselves any more), they never see their families, some never HAVE families, don't travel, don't have time to enjoy luxuries other than TV, always have work or something else on their minds so they never enjoy conversations like these, spend their lives drinking and chasing tail, but somehow they've got it BETTER than people did hundreds of years ago?
I don't want this thread to become an american vs others type, so I'll treat this with gloves.

Many americans want to work. I agree they confuse things as compared to with time, but they would rather have things.

Look, in agricultural times everyone had to work, the father, mother, and children. With the industrial revolution, the children dying could now work and get fed (and so population boom started). Eventually, wealth accumulated so much that the children did not have to work, and then women did not have to work. We could then get weekends and 8 hour days.

Even now, people are working from home, working only four days a week, making their own hours, so and so on. Everything is getting better, all the time.

And does your assessment also include people OUTSIDE of your own class? The poorer classes? Those people forced to work for meager wages, the ones that are less educated, educated in poorer educational systems, can only hold down one job, and have to struggle under a pathetic minimum wage to TRY to help mom pay the rent?
For myself, I've had to live on hand-me downs for most of my life. First time I ever saw cable was when I went to college (seriously). Though my parents never talked about money in front of us kids, I did find out later once I moved out, they had to rebalance the budget to make sure we'd have enough for food.

My mom wanted to stay home and look after us kids, which certainly made the househould income a lot lower. My dad was so focused on job security that he worked at the same place for 35 years (unheard of today). He never took a risk in his life. But my parents focus was on their family, so they didn't really care.

One thing my dad did do that was genius was in the mid 80s, he brought home these old discarded things from work called computers. My older brother latched onto them and now is a very highly paid in inventing new types of networks and all that.

As for myself, I quickly realized we were the luckiest generation on Earth. We don't have to fight in a major war, we don't have economic depressions swallowing us up. Being a poor boy, I couldn't afford art, music, literature, books, newspapers, or any sense of 'real' education. A computer with access to the internet brings you newspapers from all over the world, the classics of literature and everything else, and so on. What I realized now the old rules are broken, anyone can become that aristocratic educated type.

How you invest your time is more important than how you invest your money. Too many people use their money to buy time, only later to waste that money to get back what precious little time they have left. People sacrifice their health to get money only later to spend that money to restore their health.

Time is our ultimate advantage as we cannot make more time. The difference I've seen between successful and unsuccessful people is this: poor people SPEND their time, successful people INVEST their time. "What do they invest their time in?" Into their passion in life, into their families.

Poor people are poor not because they work at Wal-Mart, but because they've never been able to manage their time appropriately. Any skill can be learned. It shows that they spent their youth rather than investing their youth. This is why life keeps getting harder and harder for them. But if you invested your time, life keeps getting easier and more fun.

With my course so far in life, I don't understand why some people think they have a degree or multiple degrees in something makes them brililant. Today's discoveries in art interpretations and such come outside the univeristy, much to the academics' dismay.

Have you noticed most college people just go to classes and make sure their grades are good, then spend their remaining time? What is the university to them but an adolescent summer camp?

Also, since I grew up around farms, I'm immune to romanticization of Nature. Soil is dirty. Cows stink. The beauty of Nature is what we can rearrange it into. The beauty of the cow is when it is slaughtered (my last job was the slaughterhouse, the cow's destiny is to be on my BBQ grill). The beauty of the tree is what you do with it when you chop it down (new house, new piano, etc.). So I am coming at the Malthus discussion with an entirely different perspective.

Pook

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
squirrels

Mine has, my family's has, but I'd ask that you not only consider humanity as a whole when you say that, but also reconsider your definition of "quality of life."
Ask any older person. They will tell you everything has gotten better. My 90 year old grandmother likes to talk about the 'iceman' how he would go and fill up iceboxes with ice (as refrigerators weren't invented yet).

However, they do say one thing has changed: sexuality. Not so much that it has changed, but that our perceptions of it has been 'altered'.

Yes it's possible one day we'll be able to transform dirt into water. The question is, will it happen in time to sustain us?
Energy is the ultimate resource. With enough energy, you can change one resource to another. I linked to you a story on how with the use of energy, they can literally create diamonds.

You say, our resources might run out. Now, where does energy come from? I mean, ultimately? Not from the ground or from 'rocks'. It is the sun. If the sun goes out, we are screwed.

The sun is projected to stay there for at least, what, several more billion years? In several billion more years, I think Mankind could discover completely new forms of energy or remove themselves from the solar system.

The point is that the sun going out is a more immediate concern than resources going out. It is because energy creates resources, not vice versa.

Originally posted by DrMetallica
What countries are you refering to when you talk about the population decline? Accoriding to the CIA world fact book (http://cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/index.html) most western countries' populations are increasing.
Look again. You will find the fertility rate below replacement levels. And what you cannot find from that 'fact book', is that birthrate continues to drop.

The population increase comes from increasing life expectancy (and immigration), not from increased number of births.

What does this mean? It means we end up with an increasing older population. This alone effects elderly welfare systems as more recipients will be on it then are people paying for it. This is a more immediate situation. The less seen is what happens when this older population starts to die off: an inevitable population decline. Why are so many governments trying to get birth rates up? Because there is a situation that could become a problem.

Even in areas like China and India, they will face a generation of more males than females. How this will affect society is anyone's guess, but it shouldn't be pleasant.

Cyrano

Moreover I'm not sure that total objectivity is the goal here or even that it needs to be.
Most people won't. This thread is a good illustration. It starts off talking about the collapsing birth rates and we end up talking about Malthus!

What will be interesting is to see our highly esteemed intellectuals be dragged kicking and screaming into the new world. If population decline occurs to a noticable effect, as all the indicators seem to show, many changes in thought will have to occur.

First, the Overpopulation issue will be dead on arrival. All the 'morals' associated to prevent overpopulation will go out the window.

Second, sexuality will be re-examined as states and scholars will want to know what increases the birth rate. I've done my own research into this and I can tell you they will not like the answers. It goes against every modern idea of sexuality.

Third, secondary effects will ripple through several subjects, such as economics.

Like I said, this century will revolve around the issues of sexuality.

Reaction score
I edited my post ablove...the PBS show 'NOVA' is about the aging population and the INCREASING birth rate in the undeveloped world!

Pook

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
NMMCWR

This can be accomplished by harvesting additional raw materials (LAND), employing more people (LABOR), accumulating more tools and machinery (CAPITAL), or doing something ingenious to work smarter instead of harder (ENTREPENEURSHIP).

The preference since the IR has thus been for CAPITAL over LABOR. There was an unintended consequence of LABOR accumulation, largely credited to increased food security, but the effect was short lived. The preference for accumulating CAPITAL remains. The inevitable conclusion of this substitution must eventually be declining fecundity. This is observed across all cultures. As personal wealth increases, average fecundity falls.
Oh, come on! This like that article that tried to say falling birth rates was because of 'chemicals' in the environment (ignoring the third variable which is that fertility is affected by warmer and cooler temperatures).

What you are saying is that if we were still laboring the birth rate would be higher.

I have a question for you.

There are two guys. One moves dirt with a bulldozer. The other moves dirt with a shovel.

The guy with the shovel works much much harder. But the guy in the bulldozer gets paid more. WHY?

Because the guy in the bulldozer is more productive than the guy with the shovel.

Replace 'labor' with the word 'productivity' and a better picture is made. This is why 'labor' is irrelevant to our age. Third world nations have more labor, but they aren't as productive.

Remember St8up's 'building wealth' thread? He said, "Wealth is made with a pen, not a hammer." This is absolutely correct.

Yes, there is a correlation between decreasing birthrates and increasing capital, but there is also a correlation between dereasing birthrates and the access to more peanut butter. Just as the increase of peanut butter tells us nothing why people are having less children, so too does increased capital tells us nothing why people are having less children.

There are religious communities in these highly capitalized nations that have lots and lots of children. So apparently there is much more to the depopulation issue than capital.

Fecundity rates below replacement have yet to topple any of the European nations that have been at that point for decades.
I already said before this is not a doomsday thread.

But there are several points you ought to mention:

1) the larger rising older population has not yet died off.

2) Government policies have already been changed based on declining birth rates. Money is sent to women who have children, advertising billboards go up to tell women to have children.

3) Older social programs will run out of money as there are fewer people paying in and more people taking out.

No one said nations will be 'toppled'. What I did say was that the collapse of birth signaled proof of a type of distortion in sexuality. Unless this distortion gets addressed, we will find more problems appear within this century, most of which are probably unimaginable.

No one is saying France will no longer exist. But I am saying that at its current rate, France will become arab dominated. Will this alter France? How could it not?

On the environmentalist angle, at some point, we must accept that John Malthus was correct.
In a few thousand years, the average historical population growth rate of 2%, will result in the total weight of living humans to exceed the mass of the planet. In only 18,000 years, a 2% growth rate will require that the cumulative weight of living humans exceed the estimated mass of the entire universe. This is clearly not physically possible.
How much has changed in the last century? In the last two centuries?

How much will change in a thousand years? I cannot even begin to dream such dreams.

But in 18,000 years!? That is a LONG time and it is a crime to say that our society and lifestyle will remain the same for 180 centuries as it changes every decade currently.

Why can't population increase beyond the mass of the planet? In 18,000 years, we will be able to create more planets.

Remember, Malthus's predictions all came wrong because he couldn't imagine things like the Green Revolution in agriculture.

The point is, history shows the optimists are right.

A thousand years is a long time.

If you are truly interested in learning economic theory, you have a few options available. I will not recommend earning a degree in Economics to anyone who is not interested in pursuing it as an academic career. (Or perhaps for those individuals who intend to pursue an MBA but have chosen an undergrad school with no business program.) An ECO minor can provide you will some excellent critical thinking skills, but the degree is no longer highly valued by employers in the United States. Some European employers remain more open minded but this also appears to be changing.
This is a very good point.

People work very hard to get masters and PHDs and some go to ivy league schools. Why do they do such work? In hopes they can work for college drop outs such as Michael Dell, Bill Gates, or Ted Turner.

No matter what job you have, you are still dependent on someone else's system. The only way to get wealth is to go out and create your own system.

Besides, in real life, you are judged not on what degrees you have but on what type of car you drive. Anyone can get a doctorate, but not everyone can buy a Lexus.

One thing I am surprised at you NMMCWR is that the posiion I was coming from in economics is from Hayek.

The policies of nations like the US to non-nations like the Catholic Church were influenced these ideas, although academics still refuse to really look into them.

And, for some reason, they aren't even taught or explored. So whenever I say "Resources come from the mind, not from the earth, thus, resources are infinite" people go absolute BONKERS.

I have a question for you:

If a calf is born, the GNP rises.

If a child is born, the GNP decreases.

If population decline does occur, our 'model' would show GNP increasing. Does this not sound odd? It shows that substancial changes could be occuring to the economic field (and already are).

Cyrano

But there is still one glaring fallacy and a particular irony to your entire argument that man makes resources and has no worry of replacing them because he can always find something else to replace it with or a more efficient way of harvesting that.
No, that is NOT my argument.

My argument is that resources are not a bountiful gift from the Earth, but are products of the Human mind. In other words, resources come from our heads, not from the ground. The mind is the ultimate resource.

It is NOT that when we run low on resources, the price goes up, and since no one likes paying high prices, we get motivated to discover or invent something new.

The problem is that until this point, no sufficient amount of aquisition has allowed for the process to be economically viable meaning that eventually you do hit the thresholds of resource and innovation and the only thing which can provide incentive is for the value of the mineral to exceed the cost of harvesting it in contrast with its scarcity and by that time the price of the mineral itself has made it almost prohibitively expensive to the point where it is barely researched and innovation relative to it more difficult to build on producing an overall lag.
This was addressed.

The point is that there are resources ALL OVER THE PLACE.

Of course it isn't economic feasible to be able to get these now. But it eventually will.

Because we keep tapping into more and more sources of energy.

It is not a matter of if with these resources, it is merely a matter of time. Probably by the time we get to that stage, we'll be using something completely different and better.

You seen the reports on 'known reserves' of oil and such in the world? Well, they always keep increasing. It is not because more is being 'discovered' like a new pot of gold. It is because we keep getting smarter and better.

So I ask you, are the resources dependent on the Earth, or are they dependent on the mind?

Price is determined by a number of factors, but its essentially the level of capital required for the production of the product and the relative scarcity of the product (in relation to its demand) As we find more efficient ways to harvest resources we naturally need less capital to do it (as was already proven before) and we can harvest more. Thus what we are seeing is not an abundance (which you assume is reflected in the falling price) of resources, but rather an increase in the efficiency of the extraction of those resources.
Then why are world's known reserves keep on increasing?

It is like there is a tub of water and all the nations go to it with buckets. You say, "We need to be careful because the tub will become empty!"

But again and again, the tub not only has water in it, but is increasing with water. The more water we take out of the tub, the more that appears!

The question that needs to be asked is, 'Is there a pipe connected to the water, creating more?' The answer is yes, it is the human mind.

Efficiency, resouce creation, and all comes from the human mind.

Everything is getting better, all the time.

Pook

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by PuertoRican_Lover
I edited my post ablove...the PBS show 'NOVA' is about the aging population and the INCREASING birth rate in the undeveloped world!
You will get more information from this thread than from that show. That show will give you the standard academic attitude of overpopulation and such.

I bet they will even throw in the Easter Island "example"!

NPCWR

Since you have an advanced degree in economics, I want to ask you why mainstream economists hold their current opinion about the Balance of Trade.

The Balance of Trade is as follows:

If the Nation imports more than it exports, the nation gains. If it exports more than it imports, the nation gets a loss.l

I have never seen a nation trade with another. Rather, it is people trading with other people.

I am in Texas. Let us say I had a Pookish hat that is worth 50 dollars. I send my (Pookish) hat to Japan, and the customs noted in the records of an export of 50 dollars.

In Japan, my Pookish hat becomes a big hit among the Japanese. They pay 70 dollars for my Pookish hat.

My Pookish representative in Japan then converted that 70 dollars into Pookish pants (obviously, another big hit there). These Pookish pants cost 70 dollars in Japan, however, they are worth 90 dollars in Texas.

When the pants come to Texas, the customhouse adds to the record of an import of 90 dollars.

Already, the Balance of Trade, or the excess of imports over exports is 20 dollars.

When I write down in my Pookish Finance Book of the profit I have gained, I put down twenty dollars.

But there was a mainstream economist who appeared and said,

"Wait! The nation exported 70, imported 90, thus we have a LOSS of 20 dollars!"

I say that I have gained. But the mainstream economist says that I have lost them, and that Texas has lost them in my person.

What he calls 'loss' is what I call 'profit'.

A few days after my transaction, I had the simplicity to experience regret. I was sorry I had not waited, for the price of my hat fell here in Texas but rose in Japan. I could have bought the hat at forty dollars and sold it at a hundred dollars. I believe my profit would be much greater. But I learn from the mainstream economist that the loss would have been more ruinous.

--------------------------

My second transaction recieved a different result:

I had some truffles shipped from Paris which cost me 100 dollars. These truffles were destined for highly distinguished women who would pay quite a lot for them, and who would then have eternal appreciation for the Pook Man.

Alas, I would have done better to eat them (the truffles, not the girls). All would not have been lost, as they were, for the ship that carried them off sank on its departure. The customs officer in France noted an export of 100 dollars.

Since the ship sank, the customs officer never wrote down any import returning from Texas.

Hence, Mr. Mainstream Economist would say that France gained 100 dollars, for it was, in fact, by this sum that the export, thanks to the shipwreck, exceeded the import.

If I sold the truffles and recieved 200 or 300 dollars, then the balance of trade would have been unfavorable and France would have been the loser.

--------------------------------------------

What if my national leaders decided that the Balance of Trade had been too unfavorable, and now laws are needed to 'correct' the balance of trade.

What law could they pass?

Well, the law would suppress all transactions that consist in buying at a low domestic price in order to sell at a high price abroad and in converting the proceeds into commodities eagerly sought after at home; it is precisely in these transactions that the imported value exceeds the exported value.

Also, the law would insist that we sell cheaply abroad. In this, the Balance of Trade would then be in our favor.

So this is the ultimate rational result of the doctrine of Balance of Trade:

If I am in Texas, and a boat is sent from Europe with many exports, the mainstream economists will cheer to hear that lightning has struck the boat, thus it sinks and our 'balance of trade' increases!

But since lightning is too unpredictible and cannot be relied on, the customs officials could be at the docks and when the exports come in, they could toss them into the sea! Then our recorded Balance of Trade will show more exports than imports,

Why is mainstream economics so off with the Balance of Trade? When we hear, "The nation has a great loss in the balance of trade" we ought to be popping open champagn bottles.

For in the Balance of Trade, loss is actually profit.

ShortTimer

Banned
Reaction score
Also, since I grew up around farms, I'm immune to romanticization of Nature. Soil is dirty. Cows stink. The beauty of Nature is what we can rearrange it into. The beauty of the cow is when it is slaughtered (my last job was the slaughterhouse, the cow's destiny is to be on my BBQ grill). The beauty of the tree is what you do with it when you chop it down (new house, new piano, etc.). So I am coming at the Malthus discussion with an entirely different perspective.
Shockingly I agree with pook on this one. I was a Boy Scout and spent plenty of my youth camping. The view of nature the touchy-feely crowd have is clearly inconsistant with my personal expperiences. Nature is out to kill you, it is not your friend. Well maybe it's not actively trying to kill you, but it's still not your friend.

ShortTimer

Banned
Reaction score
Second, sexuality will be re-examined as states and scholars will want to know what increases the birth rate. I've done my own research into this and I can tell you they will not like the answers. It goes against every modern idea of sexuality.
So you gonna share?

jwhite17

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Pook,
Whenever you hint of improving yourself, reaching your potential, and so on, the common theme I notice is time scarcity. Do you think each of us, as you say, "can unite our dream and day" by working on ourselves? Should we all chase our dreams until its our reality? Are all SUCCESSFUL people successful because they don't waste TIME?

Here's something I think conflicts with "investing" in your time wisely. My roommate is majoring in Mechanical Engineering and Philosophy. He never studies for his tests(writes his papers the night before), yet he can pull of straight A's all the time! He can get schlorships with ease.

How is this possible? He usually spends his time in front of the tv wasting away his youth or on the internet chatting with friends. Also, he is one of the most negative people I have ever met. Always thinking he will fail his next test, yet he still stays at the top of his class without giving 1/10 the effort of some engineering students I know.

Your thinking parallels what Benjamin Franklin said, "Dost thou love life? Then thou doesn't waste time because time is what life is made of." I love this quote!

I wholeheartly agree, but why can someone who "spends" or waste their time like my roommate succeed while the person who "invests" their time into studying extremely hard not do as well or FAIL out of college all together? Is their some other facet success besides "investing" into yourself and passions?

For myself, I'm a product of my effort. I work extremely hard to do well in school, clubs, organizations, etc, and I have become the successful student I always wanted to be(never got an solid A on any test in high school!). Do you think some of us HAVE to invest our time to reach our potential and others not as much(like myself)? Or, are some people born with a talent that starts them at a higher level than "average" people?

Does following your dreams and your passions = happiness and a fullfilling life? What is success anyways? The word carries a different meaning for each of us. One person might define success as being the janitor at a elementary school while raising three daughters. And another might define success as being a CEO at a Fortune 500 company making millions of dollars. Who is right?

Aren't there thousands of models, actors, and actresses that will never make it in Hollywood because they lack something? These people are pursuing their dreams, but what if the "dream doesn't unite with day" for most of them? Or does living your dream link to fullfillment or happiness in one's life?

JohnGalt

Don Juan
Reaction score
I was wondering what your thoughts were on education. There is a lot of talk on this board damning education: that it is to prepare you for a job, and that you are better off just making your own business, intellectuals do nothing but sit in their little bubble and never act on reality, only theorize etc.

I want to know what role do you think education should play, does it itself affect this whole population shrinking phenomenon, and if it is even possible for academia to really come to an understanding of sexuality if they seem too removed from it?

Señor Fingers

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Interesting post Pook. Reminds me of our discussions on Sexual Distortion. I remember drawing the conclusion that it was the elevation of the self coupled with a miplaced sense of shame that has managed to distort sexuality.

This idea of a population "bust" ties into this, but I fell there are more specific factors at play here...

FEAR
We are bombarded by scary statistics all the time. 1 out of 5 people has herpes. AIDS keeps spreading exponentially. As a result, more of us are either abstaining or using protection. Most ironic part of all is that I know many people who dont want kids and use the fear of OVERPOPULATION as their excuse!

SHIFTING PRIORITIES
The very same drive for progress of the mind has become the vehicle for our own undoing here . People are so concerned these days with progress that the very thought of children makes them shudder. Instead of a blessing, they become a hindrance.

Also, women are not encouraged to become mothers these days. In fact it is almost looked down upon by the modern-day "liberated woman" Why stay home and change diapers when you can be the next dragon-lady CEO? Women these days feel the need for equality and empowerment. Sad that so many dont appreciate their natural ability to create, nurture and sustain life.

SEPARATION OF SEX & SEXUALITY
What is interesting to me is that we live in a society that is OBSESSED with youth, yet has managed to strip it of its true purpose. The only reason that young girls look so lovely with their alluring curves and smooth skin is because they are RIPE for reproduction. Nature has placed this delicious fruit of woman before us yet we have managed to only focus on the pleasure of eating the fruit. A pleasure tainted by the aftertaste of guilt, false expectations and a genuine fear that the fruit may be poisoned!

FUTURE PROJECTIONS
A lot of us had crappy parents and dont want to continue the dysfunctional cycle. We honestly feel we would make bad parents too and dont want to subject anyone to such misfortune.

WIDENING CLASS GAP
As the government continues to offer tax breaks for the wealthy and corporations gobble each other up into larger entities, we see the middle class getting poorer and poorer. Many people of child-bearing age dont have the means to sustain THEMSELVES, much less a child that is totally dependant on them. How you gonna start a family if you are still living at home with Mom? This may not be a problem in 3rd world nations but it is certainly not encouraged in western society. Ironic how a culture of ego-worship feels so compelled to bend to the perceptions of others.

Now, a lot of us are reading this thread and wondering where it will end. What conclusions will we draw in this charged discussion? Is humanity destined for extinction?

To all you doomsdayers and nay-sayers, this is just another bump in the road, in my opinion. Worst case scenario? We experience another dark age of anarchy and suffering. No biggie. Our species has survived an ICE AGE for chrissakes! But what if we dont survive?What if we get wiped out entirely like the dinosaurs?

Here is a better question... what if we took all this energy and thought about what could possibly go wrong and convert it into productive action?

Hmm

Perhaps our biggest strength and weakness as a race lies in our imaginations. It is either a tool of creation, enlightenment and joy or it is a weapon of cruelty, doubt and fear.

I think we will truly see progress when we embrace our roles and responsibilities as creators. Not just of life but society itself. Which brings me to the last factor...

LAZINESS
A lot of us are too lazy to make up our own minds. Our morals and values have been spoonfed to us since day one and we dont question it at all. Why not? Too much work! I could go on but....meh

ShortTimer

Banned
Reaction score
One thing I am surprised at you NMMCWR is that the posiion I was coming from in economics is from Hayek.
Well if you've read F. Hayek then you already know the answer to at least one of your quetions: "what will happen to Social Security when there are too many old people and not enough young to support it. In The Constitution of Liberty Hayek brings up this very problem and as he pointed out: either 1.) the instituions will have to change or be dismanteld or 2.) the old may have political power but the young have the strenth of arms to take what they need from the old.

I can look up the chapter if you really want.

Reaction score
The main issue in the 21st century will not be sexuality, rather it will be one of economical and political dynamics where nations will vie for power to have influence and control over their own regional resources, without the interference of European nations (including America).

In the 21st century and beyond, India and China along with the rest of Asia will be at the forefront of the mental resource war and will dominate and have intellectual, scientific, and economical influence across the globe. The US and other European nations, in their declining intellectual and economical state and dwindling world influence, (because of their dwindling mental resources due to their low birth rate) will try to prevent this loss in superiority, even if war is necessary!

The emphasis in this thread regarding the declining birth rate, is only relevant to the developed nations (i.e. Europeans) where whites are the majority. Every other Peoples inhabiting the earth have a increasing birth rate and are extensively populated. Also, this issue doesn't concern Hispanics and Blacks in America, their families are larger than the average white family for many reasons already listed here.

What Pook is concerned about, is the mental capital that these countries rely on to maintain and increase economical development in their own country and to hold on to their existing superior political status in the world - this issue is only a concern to White European nations, since they are the ones mostly affected.

European nations have been in a decline and losing their grip on the world power scene in the last 60years.To this I say don't fret, because China, and other Asian countries, along with India will be where the new mental capital will come from in the next 100 years. Most scientific advancements in the last few hundred years, in all fields of human endeavor have been derived from European minds. This will change soon as these other countries build their infrastructure and better their educational systems.

American and Britain are desperately trying to maintain their status as ‘leading’ nations by fabricating the current invasion in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Iran, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, and trying to control the resources in the Central Asian region for dominance of the oil supply.

One of the main objectives of the current war is to not allow the abundant oil resources in that region to get in the hands of China and other European and Asian nations who the US fears would surpass us economically in the decades to come, and thus become a greater power politically and undercut the influence of the United States in world affairs. This was a preemptive oil grab to keep it away from our competitors on the world market. Chavez in Venezuela said that hew ill stop selling the US oil if the CIA tried to do another coup.

Pres. Bush himself said his purpose of the war was to try to control the whole Middle East region by changing their governments. Israel is behind this move and welcomes this takeover wholeheartedly, because it benefits them well in getting rid of their enemies once and for all.

Israel was the instigator behind this whole current conflict, working in tandem with the US. Everyone in the world knows this except Americans, because our media is tightly censored and controlled and only mainly used for entertainment and propaganda purposes.

Zbigniew Brzezinski, in his arrogance, explains this preplanned Middle East / Central Asia takeover in his book, “The Grand Chessboard” WRITTEN IN 1997!. It gives you a step-by-step account of what the US plans to do to dominate that region. Every Head of government in the world knows that this is the real purpose of the war and this is why they did not form a coalition with the US. They actually were against Bush!! Bush said “Either you are with me or against me!!!” Oh well we know the answer to that don’t we – the world is against him / the US!!!!

Oh yeah, back to the declining birth rate. This a non-issue on a global scale, and only concerns European nations in fear of losing their world dominance and stranglehold of the undeveloped nations of the earth. Asia with China and Japan at the forefront, along with India will take the place of Europe and America as being the new leaders in mental resources and scientific discoveries.

A new world war will envelope the earth because America, Britain and other European nations will want to dominate other nations against their will for world dominance – that was what the last two world wars were about, why not the third World War – it has been building up for this!!!! There will be a major population decrease in the billions!!! No such thing as overpopulation!!

NMMWCR

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Pook

Oh, come on! This like that article that tried to say falling birth rates was because of 'chemicals' in the environment (ignoring the third variable which is that fertility is affected by warmer and cooler temperatures).

What you are saying is that if we were still laboring the birth rate would be higher.
Oh, come on! yourself, Mr. Pook. You have demonstrated a basic facility with the English language; my meaning should have been very clear: This is observed across all cultures. As personal wealth increases, average fecundity falls.

And yet you presume that the correlation is between labor and the birth rate. I will repeat myself again: As personal wealth increases, average fecundity falls.

The correlation is between wealth accumulation and birth rate. Accountants and database programmers have fewer children than dishwashers and ditchdiggers.

There are religious communities in these highly capitalized nations that have lots and lots of children. So apparently there is much more to the depopulation issue than capital.
You are correct, Mr. Pook. There is more to declining fecundity than wealth accumulation. This does not grant you license to disregard centuries of valid statisical research that indicate that fecundity is more strongly tied to personal wealth than any other factor, peanut butter included.

No one is saying France will no longer exist. But I am saying that at its current rate, France will become arab dominated. Will this alter France? How could it not?

Why should this be a problem? Nations change. Demographics change. Life marches on. Arabs have a demonstrated correlation between wealth and fecundity, same as every other race. They will have their time in the sun, and then they too will decline. Surely the great Pook would agree that sexuality is more timeless than such short lived geopolitical concerns!

Why can't population increase beyond the mass of the planet? In 18,000 years, we will be able to create more planets.
In 18,000 years, the population would exceed the mass of the UNIVERSE. This presents quite a challenge in that for all of human history, the second law of thermodynamics has proven quite stubborn.

An optimist, Pook, is a person who believes that we live in the best of all possible worlds. A pessimist is a person who believes the optimist is correct. John Malthus has been painted as a pessimist but nothing could be further from the truth. He sounded an alarm, not because he felt it would herald doom and panick, but because he wished to have more resourced dedicated to address a very real threat. Mission accomplished.

People work very hard to get masters and PHDs and some go to ivy league schools. Why do they do such work? In hopes they can work for college drop outs such as Michael Dell, Bill Gates, or Ted Turner.
Come now, Pookie. You are surely aware that these are rare exceptions. The vast majority of college drop outs come nowhere near dominating an industry. Once again, your grasp of statistics is lacking. Do you really intend to argue that material success and education are inversely related? The record indicates otherwise.

Examine the nation of Switzerland, for example. Low to nonexistant population growth, low birthrates, the highest average education level in the world, and the highest standard of living available on the planet. I shall forward your missive to their diplomatic corp so they can inform their highly educated populace of the bad news.

The only way to get wealth is to go out and create your own system.
The ONLY way, Mr. Pook? Such a bold statement. Thousands of wealthy corporate executives will shred their ivy league MBAs when the hear the news.

Besides, in real life, you are judged not on what degrees you have but on what type of car you drive. Anyone can get a doctorate, but not everyone can buy a Lexus.
Do I hear the Earth shaking? The great Pook now judges success based on the accumulation of commodities? I and thought you have the good taste to choose a Mercedes...

And, for some reason, they aren't even taught or explored. So whenever I say "Resources come from the mind, not from the earth, thus, resources are infinite" people go absolute BONKERS.
I discussed this earlier but I will repeat it since you are prone to ignore those things which do not support your own ideology. The economic model declares only Land category resources to be finite, and rightly so. Labor and Capital resources are finite at any point in time, but are subject to increase. Entrepeneurship class resources are theoretically, infinite, just as you suggest. This does not mean that such resources are easily obtained. Creativity is no magic wand that we can wave and be granted our wildest dreams. We must invest and engage in risky behaviors to develop new entrepeneurship class assets. That is to say, we can develop only so much as we have the nerve to risk.

If a calf is born, the GNP rises.
If a child is born, the GNP decreases.
Incorrect.

If a calf is sold, the GNP rises.

If a child is born, the GNP remains static. The per capita GNP falls when a child is born, but such is the nature of basic arithmetic.

Since you have an advanced degree in economics, I want to ask you why mainstream economists hold their current opinion about the Balance of Trade.
Incorrect. I have an undergrad degree in Economics. My graduate work is in Finance. I will humor you, however because your use of the oxymoronic term 'mainstream economist' amuses me more than you might imagine.

The idea that a nation can have a surplus or deficit in the Balance of Trade is a fallacy promoted by politicians, labor unions, and the media. The Balance of Trade is based on a double entry accounting system. Debits equal credits and thus, the Balance of Trade is always precisely ZERO.

The groups above focus on a single account within that accounting system, the Current Account, to persuade the unthinking masses to support their agendas. The thinking behind this fallacy is actually very old. It goes back to the times of Mercantilism when it was believed that a nation's wealth could be measured only by how much gold it was able to accumulate. In days gone buy, this was in fact a good proxy for a nation's strength as gold was needed to attract mercenaries and field a professional army. A nation without gold was a sitting duck. But the system was based on a presumption of a zero sum game.

The modern market system presumes a positive sum game. That is, even though the Balance of Trade is zero, both parties to an exchange are enriched. If I buy your Pookish hat for $70, I recieve something that I valued more than my $70 (else I would not have agreed to such an exchange.) Pook, in turn, recieves something he valued more than his hat (else he would have demanded more money to part with his prized possession.) Thus we are both better off, have achieved a higher level of utility, than if we had not exchanged.

Economists are the world's most vocal cheerleaders of free and open markets. You are barking up the wrong tree on the point of the misleading information fed to the public regarding international trade.

But this discuss is off on a tangent...

Sexuality is its own master. We cannot hope to seize the reigns and direct something which is as large as life itself. It does none of us any good to debate the merits of the market economy if the goal is (forgive me for use of the word) "normal" sexuality. Life will steer us to an expression of sexuality that is appropriate to our personal growth.

What use would it be for me to embrace sexuality by pursuing many children? My desire is for a woman that can hold her own in an intellectual discussion, display social grace when appropriate, and hurl profanity laden invective at icehockey officials who give no-calls on blatant boarding fouls. Alas, the only such woman I have encountered recently is my cousin!

But I do not expect to find such a creature at sosuave.com, or in academia. I expect to find her by living my life as I see fit. That is the great flaw in the seduction community (perhaps on this point we can agree.) Pursuit of sex and/or sexuality is absurd. Such things pursue us while we are busy doing more interesting things. For me, this meant taking last night off for a trip downtown to the hockey arena. Next week it might mean mowing the lawn, seeing Kill Bill 2, proposing a much needed upgrade to the data management software at work, and signing up for Salsa lessons. Sexuality will manufacture opportunities in its own time.

Reaction score
Crotch Sniffer gaves us such a simple and profund definition of sexuality, and nobody cared to expound on the matter further. So I took the responsibility upon myself to create a new thread to promote the discussion on sexuality, its definition and explanation.

My insight on the issue is given and was based on the following definition...

Sexuality = Duality that creates life!

The thread is titled, "The natural order of things - Sexuality is defined and explained!"